Final

Angel with a Shotgun (SeulRene ver.)

you're the closest to heaven that i'll ever be

 

It was the year 3027.

Almost everything is already adapted to advanced technology; be that in transportation, things for a living, or armed defenses.

People say, ‘The future will be harmonious because the world already evolved’, but surprise, it’s not.

Wars are still happening left and right. Though this time, it’s more ruthless. Instead of a vision full of hopes, the world turned much worse. The technological advancement didn’t give peace, but rather, power to those who wanted so much and battled to conquer the world.

There are lucky ones– and there are those who live to survive.

Amongst these people, is Joohyun.

Joohyun is an orphan. Her parents left her at the orphanage when she was just a newborn, making the institution her home. She’s been living well, and she’s been a good kid, but for some reason, nobody is adopting her. After 10 years and no one still wanted her, Joohyun just gave up. She gave up on her dream that someday, someone would be willing to take care of her; so instead of waiting, she dedicated her life to taking care of the other kids in the orphanage.

Years had passed, and the latter is already 18 years old.

It was December 3045, 6 in the morning, when their home got attacked by the army. And even after 18 years, the wars are continuing. From nation versus nation, a corporate war, to the smallest organization such as gangs and mafias. And it’s been going on and on, but luckily the orphanage did not experience any attacks, until now.

With the need to protect all the children, Joohyun initiated taking them all with her to escape the orphanage. After getting the news from the messenger that a group of gang members is on their way to their small village, Joohyun immediately took action and take them away from the institution as soon as possible.

They were on their way to the forest when a young girl called for her name.

“Joohyun-unnie! Ningningie gone!” A 3-year-old Minjeong cried out while looking for her sister.

“Huh?” Joohyun turned around and counted all the children behind her. All of them were there, except for one. “.” She exclaimed.

“Everyone let’s hide here for a while” The eldest tugged all the crying kids and hid them inside the abandoned house.

“Listen to me kids, remember what I said before about bad guys?” She asked which the kids responded with a nod while wailing.

“Bad guys are coming for us. But worry not because we are going to be okay, do you all understand?” She yelled and again, the kids replied with a nod. “I’ll just look for Ningning and while I’m out, please stay here and hid until I come back, okay?” She paused, looking for the two oldest kids amongst them.

“Yerim! Sooyoung!” She called, and the two 10 years old immediately rose. “I’m going to find Ningning. You two take care of them for a while, alright?” She commanded. “You two are the only ones I could rely on about this. So please, protect them, okay?” The two kids replied with eager nods. Before the latter was able to walk outside, Yerim called for her.

“Joohyun-unnie...”

Joohyun stopped in her tracks and turned around. “Yes?”

“Promise us you’ll be back…” Sooyoung said, albeit melancholy.

She smiled and said, “I promised. Don’t worry…”

Joohyun ran as fast as she can back to the orphanage and looked for Ningning. When she made it there, she immediately ran to the room where Ningning usually hides.

In the kitchen’s empty pantry.

That’s where she’ll go whenever she’s sad or doesn’t want to play, she knows because Joohyun is usually the one who fetches her.

But then, before she could make it to the kitchen, she saw troops of soldiers, about 5 of them, casually walking and looking for anyone in the living room where it’s a few feet away from her. Fortunately, they didn’t see Joohyun, but for her to be able to rescue Ningning, she needs to distract them.

She was about to throw a stone on the outside when one of the troops that looks like their leader, called for them. She sighs in relief when they walked out of the orphanage. As soon as they were out of sight, she immediately ran to the kitchen and look for the kid, albeit carefully.

“Ningningie...” she called, softly. Not a minute, she heard a little whimper coming from the pantry. She released a sigh of relief knowing that the poor child is safe. Joohyun open the door to the said room, and there she saw Ningning crying in the corner. When the little girl heard the door open, she looked up.

“Hy-Hyun-unnie...” The moment Ningning saw Joohyun, she hastily ran to her arms and embraced the older tightly. “Hey, baby” Joohyun kissed the top of Ningning’s head and hugged her back.

“I’m scared, unnie…” Ningning says, weakly.

“I know little one, I know. And I’m sorry if I left you here. But Ning, we have to go now, okay? Minjeong and the others are waiting for us.”

“O-Okay…”

Joohyun kissed Ningning’s forehead and reached for her arm. They quietly walked out from the kitchen. But before they could make it to the living room, two of the troops are already back at the orphanage and they are in the hallway where it’s near the kitchen, making the two girls freeze in their position.

“There are two more here!” One of the soldiers shouted.

Right after they heard that Joohyun carried Ningning and run for their life. They ran and escape at the back of the house.

“Stop right there!” One of the soldiers ordered, firing his gun.

Unfortunately, Joohyun got shot. “Augh!” As the bullet penetrated her leg, she dropped to her knees and paused for a while.

‘I have to come back.’ she thought.

With that in mind, the injured woman stood up and continued to run while carrying the little girl on her back. They are almost close to the hidden pathway when one of the soldiers managed to reach for the two. He tugged for Joohyun’s hair, making Ningning slip from her hold.

“HYUN-UNNIE!” Ningning screamed.

“Come here, you!” The soldier shouted back while locking Joohyun in his arms.

“No! Let go of unnie!”

“Ningning, just run! Run as fast as you can. Remember the house you said was your dream house? Yerim and Sooyoung unnies will be there waiting for you! Tell them to escape, and don’t worry about me, okay?” Joohyun screamed. “Run, now!” She ordered.

Scared little Ningning got nothing to her unnie; with a heavy heart, she ran and ran until she made it to the said house.

“Ningningie!” Minjeong ran to her sister and embraced her.

Sooyoung saw Ningning come back, but horror filled her face when she noticed Joohyun is not with her anymore. “Ningning-ah, where’s Joohyun unnie?” Anxiety is evident in her voice. It terrifies her more when the little girl cried out, “The soldiers caught u-us. And-and Hyun-unnie said we should escape because they are coming and d-don’t worry for h-her…” she said, agonizingly.

“No…” Sooyoung whimpered.

“Sooyoung-ah…” Yerim called. She’s standing behind them, comforting the other kids to stop crying. She watches the scene, and it broke her so much knowing what happened to their unnie, but she must be strong for the kids. “Let’s go now…”

“No.”

“We must go, Sooyoung. We need to find a safe place.”

“We have to come back for her!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

“If we come back, we are endangering the lives of these children that Joohyun-unnie risks her life with!” Yerim retorted. “Please, don’t let it go in vain.”

Sooyoung stared at Yerim and then at the crying children. It pains her to know that she can’t do anything to save their unnie’s life, but she has people to protect.

And she promised to fulfill it.

With a heavy heart, Sooyoung nodded her head and took a flight off to the abandoned house. Before they could go far away from the villages, she took one last look in the direction where Joohyun went.

‘Please, come back…”

=

“Come on, let’s get her to the base.” The soldier who caught Joohyun said whilst trying his best to lock Joohyun between his arms as the girl was still persistent to escape. “Hey, help me!”

“Captain would be happy to see this,” Another soldier said. He tugged her wrist and forcibly take her to the base.

“No!” Joohyun insisted. She tried to waver the arms of the two off her body, then kicked their groins.

“Awe, !” One of the soldiers cried out, grasping his aching bottom area.

The woman managed to escape for a little while, but she got yanked by the other soldier again.

“Shut up, woman. You are coming with us!” He said, his tone hardening.

“I said no! I don’t want to. Kill me instead!”

“Then, you left me with no choice.” The man smacked her head so hard with his pistol and it knocked Joohyun out. Before she closed her eyes, one thought came to her mind.

‘I’m sorry…’

For the people she left behind, those she had sworn to protect.

On the other side, a lone divine woman is staring at the scene at the top of the tree, watching the abduction unfold with a poker face, but anger and disgust filled deep within her. After witnessing the two guys hurt the woman, that’s when she cannot take it anymore and took the initiative to save the fainted human.

She jumped off from the tall oak tree and dashed to the scene before they could get away. Not a second in, she’s already in front of the two soldiers who are dragging the woman.

Noticing the intruder, the two soldiers stopped. The red long-haired woman is clad with a mixed layer of fabric and leather armor that is white as snow, and a single black pauldron on her right shoulder along with a fine silver broad leather belt wrapped around her waist and a monolith moto boots.

Her face screams innocence, but her grace and stance hold so much power and supremacy that made the two soldiers felt threaten for a moment.

“You know,” The woman started, her tone screaming dominance and intimidation. “In our realm, it is a crime to hurt a human,” she says, taking little steps closer. “But does it even matter if I’m going to hurt you two for doing it to the others?” She said, almost looking down at the soldiers as she stopped a few feet away from them.

“W-Who are you?” One of the soldiers said. The woman is, even more, intimidating now that she’s already close to them.

“You don’t have to know me,” she said. “You won’t live long enough to remember it anyway.” She said simply, albeit with her intimidating voice.

“Pft. Get the out of here before I come for you,” The other soldier said, obviously taking the woman’s words as a joke.

“Oh, you sure do.” The woman said, with a smirk on her face.

The soldier pulled out his tactical radio. “Captain! There’s-”

“Come on, gentlemen. Let’s settle this simply. I can give you 1 minute to let go of her, then I will not kill you two.”

“Go on then.” The cunning soldier challenged. They unloose Joohyun for a while, and laid her on the ground, pulling out their daggers and guns.

The woman watched the two with a smirk on her face. “If that’s what you want, then your wish is my command”

Right after she said that she streaked her way to the soldiers and hauled at them. And just like how easy it is to swing her divine sword left and right, the soldiers are no match to her strengths as she killed them easily.

“Without breaking a sweat.”

Witnessing the two useless humans lying on the ground, she grabs the radio and said, “Hello! The name’s Seulgi. So, two of your soldiers just died. Not my fault. But don’t worry about me anymore because I will be coming for you. So, see you all later.” She spoke. She walked slowly to the unconscious woman. She lifted Joohyun and cradle the unconscious lady in her arms and decided to walk to where Joohyun was supposed to be.

Feeling herself being taken away, Joohyun unconsciously stirred from her sleep. Seulgi saw her moving and stared at her face while she was carrying her, on the way to where the kids went to. Her divinity gave her enough power to know where they go. Discerning that Joohyun will wake up any moment now, Seulgi used her other ability and arrived at the cabin house far away from the village that hides deep within the forest in just a minute.

“This must be it,” She carefully laid Joohyun on the porch’s floor, then looked at her. This is the first time she saw the girl but there’s an urge deep within her that says how much she wanted to look after Joohyun. She never felt it before, not even once in her life, after living for centuries and so. Seulgi walked closer to the unconscious girl, crouched a little then stared at her face, albeit mixed with curiosity and adoration.

“I’ve seen all the beauty around the world, but not with yours…” She said as she slowly caressed Joohyun’s left cheek with her right hand.

Hearing a low voice coming from inside the house, Seulgi got distracted and immediately let go of the lying girl. She stood up and knocked on the door. No one dared to open it at first and Seulgi, with her heightened hearing ability, can hear the kids pointing at each other quietly.

So, she knocked again, this time gently. When she heard a slow pace coming to open the door, she immediately went off and flew up to the nearest tall tree. She hid herself, careful not to be seen by the kids.

Witnessing the kid’s reaction when they saw Joohyun, Seulgi can’t help but smile.

She was a soldier.

A guardian.

An angel.

And after eons of living meaningless, she finally found her purpose.

From this day forward, she now has a duty to bear, an oath to fulfill.

And that is to protect Joohyun, with all her might, for as long as she could.

=

Joohyun woke up from her slumber and noticed that she was already lying on the couch. She slowly sits up, observing her surroundings.

“Where am I?”

The last thing she remembered is that she got struck with a hard object by the soldier earlier and now she woke up with an unusual cabin house that she was not aware of. She was about to escape, scared that the soldiers managed to abduct her when she heard a call.

“Unnie!”

Joohyun turned her head to her right with shock and there she saw Sooyoung looking at her with relief and excitement. The latter hastily ran to her unnie and embraced her so tight. “I’m so glad you’re okay!”

Hearing the loud scream, Yerim and the other kids hurriedly ran from the outside to the cabin’s living room. They gathered around their conscious unnie, looking at her with joyfulness and relief.

“What happened? How did I get here?” Joohyun asked, curiously.

“We found this place while we are running away from the bad guys and then suddenly there’s a knock on the door. At first, we are scared that it might be them, but when I opened the door, we saw you lying on the porch’s floor.” Sooyoung exclaimed.

“You didn’t see who took me here?”

“No, unnie,” Yerim responded, enthusiastically. “But that doesn’t matter now, what matters is you came back to us.” The kids walked closely, and the group hug their older sister. Joohyun is filled with love and happiness knowing that the kids are safe, and she is too. She was really scared when the soldiers caught her. She just can’t imagine permanently leaving the kids.

When they unclasp the hug, 3 years old Minjeong asked her. “Hyun-unnie, are we going to be okay?”

Joohyun glanced at the little one, she moved down, making eye-to-eye contact with the kid. “Yes, Minjeong. We’ll finally be okay.” She hugged the kid with a thought in her mind.

‘Whoever you are, thank you for protecting me.’

=

5 years later

It was already 7 in the evening, and Joohyun was casually chilling outside the cabin, looking at the vast surroundings. It’s been almost five years since they escaped from their villages to get away from the gang who tried to harm them.

Nothing new. The world is still the same, the war is still ongoing. Joohyun thinks that it will never stop as long there are those who are hell-bent on power.

And that terrifies her and frightens all of them.

Even though they haven’t experienced any attacks or weird encounters with other people in the past years, she’s still anxious.

What if they have to run away again?

What if this time they wouldn’t be able to escape?

So, every day she wishes, hoped that it will never ever happen anymore.

Under the night sky, Joohyun clasped both of her hands and closed her eyes.

She wished to meet the person who saved her and never leave her side again.

The latter never really saw that person. She’s not even sure if someone really did come and save her. But she’s taking chances.

So, she whispered, softly.

Across the universe,

“Let us meet again…”

Luckily, someone heard her.

=

“Everyone! Minjeong-ah! Aeri-yah!” Joohyun shouted. “Someone’s at the door!” She added. Joohyun was just cooking their dinner when she heard a knock on their door.

“Later, unnie! We are playing!” Minjeong screamed at the top of her lungs as they are all playing on the second floor of the cabin. Fortunately for them, the cabin house they found is quite big. Enough to cater to almost twenty children and three adults.

“How come there’s so many of us here but no one even bothered to open the door?” Joohyun asked herself under her breath. “That must be Yeji and Ryunjin” Joohyun sauntered her way to the entrance and open the door. Confusion painted on her face when she was welcomed by a strange woman smiling at her.

"Uh, who are you?" She asked, warily.

"Hello! I am Seulgi, I am a guardian angel, and Joohyun, I am the one they sent for you." Seulgi declared, with pure enthusiasm.

"What?” Joohyun asked in disbelief. “How did you even get here? How did you find me?" A little bit scared and suspicious ‘cause this lady looks like someone who works for the military. Clad with weird-looking armor that seems to be like she’s from somewhere from away here, in places and in time.

She gasped.

What if she’s here to take away the children?

She can’t let that happen.

Seulgi stared at her with a perplexed look. "Because like I said, I was sent here. Right at this moment, for you." She said, as a matter of fact.

"W-What? What for? What do you mean? What are you even talking about?” Joohyun is beyond weirded out by the stranger who suddenly shows up at her cabin.

Seulgi could only smile at the latter as she could see the bizarre expression on her face. "To protect you, of course. You said you wanted to be protected so here I am. Now, let me see your home," She said, taking a step closer.

Joohyun, of course, immediately hinders the other from going inside. She threw her hands upward, motioning a warning to never take one more step, Seulgi is threatened yes, but by Joohyun’s cuteness.

"NO! YOU CAN'T ENTER!" She exclaimed.

"Why not?" The angel chuckled.

"You can't just barge in on someone's house and expect them to let you. What if you’re with the government huh?! I can’t let you take away my kids! You’ll have to get through me first!”

“Joohyun, I am not going to kidnap them. I am here to protect you all and prevent that from happening!”

“Would you just get out of here? Go now before I call someone!"

"Who would you call? We’re in the middle of the forest lady. Plus, didn’t you hate the government? So, don’t bother. I won't leave." Seulgi moved her way inside, albeit forcibly. Joohyun is trying her very best, with all her might, to stop the crazy girl. But no matter how much strength she put in; Seulgi continuously marched as if Joohyun was just a thin air with how effortless the former girl looked while she walked.

There’s only one way to stop this, so Joohyun must go with her last resort. "Yerim! Sooyoung! CODE RED!" She yelled out.

Suddenly, a series of loud weird noises erupted inside the house.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH! WIWIWIWIWIWIW! BEE-DOO! BEE-DOO!”

15 years old Yerim and Sooyoung along with now 8 years old Minjeong came marching from the other room holding their own combat bat. Seulgi got startled when Minjeong suddenly jumped on her back, locking her upper body, and hindering her to move. Yerim hangs onto her right leg, both of her arms wrapped around her waist. Whilst Sooyoung is pulling her hands behind her back and tying them together using what seems to be a cable tie if Seulgi is right.

The latter can’t help but laugh. She never expected it to be this chaotic.

“Yah! Why are you laughing?” Yerim asked, still clinging onto Seulgi’s leg.

“Nothing. It’s just funny to me,”

“What is?”

“This. Whatever you’re doing. Joohyun, you know this will not do anything right?” Seulgi asked.

Imagine the shock on Joohyun’s face when Seulgi sent Yerim flying to the living room’s carpet. She broke the tie easily and carried both Sooyoung and Minjeong by raising their clothes upward and throwing them atop on poor Yerim who is crouching in pain.

“H-How?” The older human asked, her tone quivering.

“I told you. I’m your guardian angel. A supreme being. Divine. Cable tie will not work for me,” She responded arrogantly. Seulgi successfully bought her way in and sat on the couch, looking at the three poor humans still whining in pain.

“Awe Yerim! My foot!” Sooyoung yelled while lying on top of Yerim’s body.

“Get off us Minjeong! You’re heavy” Yerim also yelled in frustration.

Joohyun remained in her position, feeling suspicious and amazement at the weird stranger sitting on their couch.

‘If I’m dreaming, please wake me up. This is crazy!’ She thought.

“You guys, stand up and go back upstairs. Tell the others that no one will come down until I say so. I need to talk to her alone.”

“Yes, ma.” Following their unnie’s command, they stood up one by one. But before they made it to the stairs, they turned around in unison and squint their eyes at Seulgi. Pointing a finger at the angel, motioning a warning. Seulgi could only raise one eyebrow and smirk.

“I’m sorry about that,” Joohyun started after making sure that the three are already gone.

“It’s okay,”

“Umm, can we please go back to the start? Can you explain to me how you are an angel?”

“Ah, yeah. Sure. Okay so, here it goes.”

Seulgi tried to explain it to Joohyun in a way that the girl will understand it. She receives lots of weird looks and a shocked face, it’s cute if Seulgi might add.

"Hold up! So, you're telling me, you are an actual guardian angel?" Joohyun exclaimed.

"Affirmative"

"Like angel angel?"

“Uhuh.”

“Are you sure you’re not just a crazy lady sent by those power-hungry companies to hunt children?”

"Pretty sure I am not.” She said, “ I don't know why you are having a hard time understanding this,"

"Do you actually think I'm going to believe you? You are supposed to be just a myth. Something people would say to someone to scare them off!" She said, almost standing up from her seat because of the revelation.

"Aren't all humans believe in angels? I mean, especially now it's 2050? Aliens are already proven true and now, me, an angel on your couch, looking magnificent as ever and whom most people claim to be true since the 1900s, are not seem to be real to you?"

"Well, I don't believe in what men say about God and all those other religious beliefs"

"I see, I respect that. But Joohyun, you can trust me on this.” She paused. “For the benefit of the doubt, I, Seulgi, hereby state to you, Joohyun, that I am real." She declared.

"Okay then prove it. I need evidence,"

"How?"

"Angels have wings. Show it to me,"

"I have, but we can't show it while we are on Earth,”

"Why not?"

"I don't know. Ask my superiors. They made that law,”

"Right. Umm, any powers maybe?"

"What exactly?"

"I don't know. Just anything. To make me believe you're an angel.”

"Isn’t the easy strength I showed earlier not enough for you?”

"Oh, umm, okay," Joohyun says. "How ‘bout tell me more about you? That’s fair," She added.

"Why?"

"I still don't trust you. I need to know and understand your nature first"

Seulgi never remembered it being this hard. Usually, she will just come in front of the door and the others will welcome her greatly. But this woman. "What do you want to know?"

"What kind of angel are you again?"

"Guardian. Angels have different roles to play. There are guardians, soldiers, healers, and some sort."

"What do guardians usually do?"

"We are those angels that they send to the human world to protect assigned humans. May that be a long-term and short-term"

"Are you short-term for me?"

"Strangely, they didn't specify the longevity. They just send me off,”

"I see. How about the others?"

"Soldiers' priority is to protect heaven. You know them as the arch angels. Most of them are assigned to take out the evil that invades our realm. In the human world, the higher power let some of them disguises themselves as priest or exorcist. Healers are, well, healers. You might know a story of one dying person miraculously gaining life, it's their job. They give second chances. Only if the situation has been weighed and discussed, of course.”

Weirdly enough, this whole angel thing is making sense to Joohyun’s mind. It terrifies her that it’s starting to pique her interest.

"Is that all?"

“Hmm, what else? Ah! There are normal angels, and there are fallen."

"Fallen?"

“Yup.”

“What about them?”

“They are actually not worth talking about,”

Joohyun noticed how Seulgi’s expression shifted. “But I want to know about them.”

“You do know you’re so stubborn right?” Seulgi says. It’s not like she doesn’t want to talk about it. She just thinks that, well, it’s not really “relevant”.

“I’ve been told. Now, continue.”

"They are also angels, but unlike us, their wings are black as a crow and they bleed red. Like a human. Those who are not fallen, have ichor run through their veins. When you are a fallen, it only means one thing."

"And that is?" Joohyun asks albeit she sounds a little more interested now.

"You failed to accomplish your mission."

"That's unfortunate. What if it's just too hard for some?"

"Angels are not made to fail, Joohyun-ah. That’s why if you are a fallen, you are a disgrace. Either they will demote you, or worse, exiled.” She simply stated.

“That’s…” Joohyun paused. “…sad.”

“We have no choice. It’s the world we live in,”

Just like what Uncle Ben said ‘with great power comes great responsibility and it’s the same for them. Being an angel is not easy. They have to make sure that everything will go how it is planned or else it will cause them to fail and that’s just not good.

“Is that all you wanted to ask?”

“Ah y-yeah…” Joohyun said. She stood up from her seat, realizing it was already noon. She wanted to ask if Seulgi already ate, but she doesn’t even know what she eats or if she eats.

‘Does she?’

“Um, Seulgi?” She called, nervously.

“Hmm?” Seulgi hummed while observing the house. She stood up from her seat and roam around. She saw the comfortable nook in the living area and think about making it her territory. She, for sure, knows that she’s going to enjoy sleeping there.

Joohyun followed the girl and saw her already comfortably lying down at their nook. “Have you eaten?”

The angel averted her gaze from the nook’s window to the human girl. Seulgi can see nervousness lie between her eyes, and what’s life without a little tease?

So, she asked, “Like food?”

It was meant to be a joke, but Joohyun took it way too seriously that her face changed from confused to complete horror.

“Yes?” Joohyun said. “What else is there to eat?!” She burst out. Fear is painted across her face and Seulgi is enjoying it.

“I don’t know. Human?” She said, kiddingly.

“WHAT?!”

Seulgi ends up getting thrown with multiple different objects that day.

And that’s when she learned to never tease Joohyun if she still wanted to live, but you see, Seulgi was never afraid to die.

So, you all know what happened to the rest of their days together.

=

Days passed when Joohyun started regret wishing a guardian angel upon the stars because instead of getting one, she felt like she gained another kid to take care of.

Seulgi was so quirky. Even after what happened to her first meeting with Sooyoung, Yerim, and Minjeong, eventually, they become friends. And it comes to the point where Joohyun almost had Seulgi in a chokehold because she joined the three crackheads to prank her using a toy insect.

Basically, Seulgi is one of the sources of her headache now. Not just because of her dorkiness, but also for whatever she’s doing that always made Joohyun feels so many things at once. She’s greasy, flirty, bold, arrogant, teasing, and more. Seulgi always makes sure that Joohyun will end up looking like a ripe tomato of how red her face is, or her heart beating rapidly that she looks like she ran in a marathon.

One of the times it happened was when Ningning and Aeri asked for their participation to do roleplay about a typical story where the knight has to save the princess. It’s just a fun thing that the kids come up with to not bore each other since technically, they can’t go outside and carelessly travel around. The chances of meeting patrolling soldiers are low, but never zero so they are taking extra caution.

It’s just unfortunate for Joohyun’s side that she was forced to be the princess and Seulgi’s the knight.

It was already in the scene where the knight and the princess are having their date and the knight professed her love to the princess.

"What would you do?” Joohyun, the princess asked. “Are you willing to sacrifice your life, just for my safety, my knight?"

"Yes," Seulgi continued. "I would cross heaven and Earth, even Hell just for you, my Queen." She says, not minding the fact about sincerity and honesty hidden between her words.

Because she actually would. She’s ready to travel to the farthest place on Earth, even the deepest part of Hell, just to make sure Joohyun’s safe.

The angel is kneeling before her with a stare that converses a lot that Joohyun cannot decipher. She cannot help but be attracted to it and moved closer to the angel. They are almost an inch apart when Ningning, the strict director, decided to cut off the scene.

"Cut!" Ningning yelled. "Seulgi unnie, that's not the line, you were supposed to say ‘yes, my queen’ only!" She said, sulking.

Both of the adults moved away from each other. Joohyun's cheeks are so red while Seulgi is smiling widely.

"But isn't mine a little more sweet?" She asked, giggly. She turned her gaze to the flustered woman beside her and smiled.

"No, it's cringy.”

“Harsh, Ningningie.” Seulgi pouted.

Glancing at the other, Joohyun turned her head upwards and couldn't help but giggled at how Seulgi looked so adorable.

Without a thought, she blurted out. "It’s okay, Seul," She paused. "For what it's worth that made my heart flutter." She added, her face still blushing.

Seulgi averted her gaze to her and grinned.

“I should do it more often then,”

“What is?”

“Make your heart flutter,”

“You bet.” She rolled her eyes playfully.

“Oh yes, I would.” She says, cockily.

Joohyun blushed even more when before Seulgi walked away, she threw a wink and a flying kiss to the woman.

“Aish! Yah!”

She will never have peace as long as this dumb guardian angel is with her. She just knows it.

=

It was one of the days when the horror of their past still lingers inside them. Ningning dreamt about what happened five years ago, luckily, Joohyun is her emotional support. When the poor girl woke up, she immediately went to Joohyun and the woman comforted her.

Feeling that there was something wrong with her human, Seulgi walked carefully inside Joohyun’s room and she saw her, together with Ningning, cuddling on the bed. The older is singing the kid to sleep and Seulgi’s heart wavered.

“Hey,” Seulgi greeted. She stared at the child and she saw how Ningning’s face turned from troubled to pleasant as she sleeps.

“Hey,” Joohyun greeted softly. When she noticed the slow pace of breathing that Ningning makes, she slowly get off the kid’s hold and stood up from the bed. Before she could take a step, she stared at Ningning and kissed her forehead.

“Sweet dreams now, Ningning-ah.” She said, softly. Joohyun turned around and carefully walked to Seulgi. While doing so, she asked the angel, “Why are you here?”

“Nothing, I just want to check up on you.” She said, as matter of fact. She followed Joohyun and went outside from the latter’s room.

When Seulgi was about to close the door, she took a glance at the kid. They are not really allowed to show their powers while living on Earth, but when did she ever abide by their law? Never.

Seulgi raised her hands, pointing to Ningning, and a little light flickered.

“No more bad dreams, little one. I promised you that.” She says, sincerely and she set off. Seulgi found Joohyun outside the house, sitting on a wooden long chair in front of a bonfire. The angel recognizes the troubling look hidden beneath her human’s face and she doesn’t like it.

As her guardian, Seulgi needs to make sure that Joohyun is okay and happy. What’s the purpose of being one if she’s going to let Joohyun be eaten by her worrying thoughts? She has to do something, of course.

“Penny for your thoughts?” She asked. Seulgi took a seat beside the girl and positioned herself comfortably. She diverted her attention from the calm fire in front of them to the girl beside her.

“What if we got attacked again?” Joohyun asked, all of a sudden. “I am terrified that I will not be able to protect them this time around.” Joohyun glanced at Seulgi.

“Joohyun, I don’t know how many times I have to say this but if thousands are all it takes to assure you then I will do it gladly,” Seulgi paused. She shifted from her position and moved a little closer to Joohyun.

She grabbed her hand and held it delicately. “You are not the only one to protect them now. You have me…” She affirmed. “…and I pledged to you, with all my life, that no one will harm you and the kids, as long as I am here.” She sincerely professed while intensely looking at the other with her doe brown beautiful eyes.

Tears welled up in Joohyun’s eyes after Seulgi professed her words. A wide smile slid up across the former’s face.

“Okay…” Joohyun can only mutter.

Seulgi beamed at that. “Have I ever told you that you have a beautiful smile?” She asked, softly.

“Beautiful more than Aphrodite herself?”

That was just supposed to be a joke, but Seulgi answered her question in a way Joohyun never expected to.

“More than every divine creature I have ever met.” She said, her tone softening. It sounds almost as if she’s saying it like it’s the fact of the universe and Joohyun blushed.

Joohyun masked her flustered face with rolled eyes and said, “You’re bluffing”

“I’m not though, you are really beautiful, Joohyun.”

“Does being an angel required you to be this flirty?”

The angel smirked. “It works both ways.” She said.

“Stupid” Joohyun rolled her eyes again, albeit playfully.

“I object. I’m not stupid,” Seulgi paused. “I’m genuinely telling the truth.”

Stopping herself from absorbing more the gushiness that is starting to bubble up inside her, Joohyun decided to head back inside– to stop this madness from bothering her mind.

“Whatever, let’s go back.” Joohyun stood up from her seat and turned around to go back inside the house.

“Okay,” Seulgi stood up too but before Joohyun could take a further step away from the angel, Seulgi called for her. “Joohyun-yah”

The former turned around and hummed in question. “Hmm?”

“Smile more. It suits you.” Seulgi grinned.

Joohyun smiled at Seulgi and turned around again. There is this overwhelming feeling that is starting to consume her. It’s been locked away deep within her heart for years that she almost forget about it and now it’s crawling back up again.

She doesn’t like it.

She doesn’t like feeling this at all.

She can’t catch feelings for someone that is way too different from her.

Way too far from it.

She just can’t.

=

Seulgi is inside her room. Yes, she has one. Even though the nook is literally her bedroom now. Joohyun still offered her a room. The cabin is big anyway.

She just finished bathing and yes again, angel bathes too. Even though they are supreme beings, they still stink, which is weird for her.

Nothing much happened during the day, but her mind is filled with thoughts.

Earlier today, she was playing with the kids at the playground that she build because Ningning asked for it. When suddenly, Aeri asked to show her wings, which of course, she gently declined. The kids know she’s an angel and surprisingly, they were so happy and amazed about it. Seulgi almost argue with Joohyun that day because, unlike the woman, the kids took it so well.

She explained to the kids that she can’t show it and fortunately, they all understand. She’s about to invite them to play another game when Minjeong said, ‘Your wings must be so beautiful.’

And that made Seulgi stop for a moment because she hoped it was too, but it was not.

Seeing her reflection in the mirror, Seulgi could only mutter a heavy sigh as she spread her wings.

The pitch blackness of her wings contradicts the pure whiteness of her clothes.

It used to be so beautiful; white as snow, shining so bright that it almost blinds the normal people who see it.

But now, it’s a color of ebony. A mark of disgrace, failure.

Seulgi slowly hides her wings back and promises to never show them again.

Not because of the ugliness, it shows, but because of the shame and agony, it brought.

=

It was five in the afternoon at the cabin’s house when Seulgi is searching for three crackheads. She thought of a new prank to pull off to their unnie and of course, she’ll need the participation of the three. But shock filled her face when she found a familiar face talking to Minjeong outside of the cabin, right beside their playground. She walked closer to them, urgently.

"Jimin?" She called.

Out of all the people she expects to see, Jimin is not one of them. Jimin is also a guardian angel and a friend. But the girl was so busy that the last time they saw each other was like 20 years ago. So, it’s weird seeing her here.

Jimin averted her attention from Minjeong she was playing with to the person who called her. She beamed when she finally saw her old friend after years of not seeing each other.

"Hello, Seulgi." She greeted.

When Seulgi is already in front of them, Minjeong chose to interject. "Unnie, you know Jimin-unnie?" She asked, curiously.

"Uh, yeah. She's my friend." Seulgi said.

"Really? She's my friend too" Minjeong exclaimed cutely and it makes the two angel’s hearts warm.

Realizing the circumstances, Seulgi turned serious again. "What are you doing here, Jimin?" She asked, her tone hardening.

"You're not the only one protecting someone, Seul." Jimin stated whilst looking at the kid that are now playing with the others.

Seulgi followed where Jimin’s gaze headed. "Minjeong?" She asked, astonishingly.

"Uhuh. Got the mission since she was still in a womb"

“How come I never saw you?” Seulgi asked with a perplexed look.

“Because I chose to not be seen by you.” Jimin turned to Seulgi.

"Why show up now then?” Seulgi is confused, yes. But she’s still rational. She knows there’s more to it than what the girl shows. “Why are you really here, Jimin?" She asked.

Jimin can only sigh in exhaustion. She’s not planning to reveal it sooner than expected but she has no choice. She might be an angel, but Seulgi is too. And the other one was stronger. There’s no need for her to stay enigmatic.

"I've got a message to rely on you,"

That’s never good. Anything that came from their higher up was never good. "What is it?"

"They want you back, Seulgi-unnie.”

“Pardon?”

“They said that you need to come back,”

“Why?”

“They didn’t tell me as to why, but they sound desperate.” Jimin can feel the bad aura starting to erupt inside Seulgi and that proves her theory right. She already told their superiors that the angel won’t come back but boy, they were really persistent. So, she was left with no choice but to come down and fetch her friend.

"Is that all? If that's only your purpose here then you wasted your time.” Seulgi turned around from Jimin and walked away.

But before she could go further, she turned around again and said,

“Tell them, I am not coming back. No matter what happens, Jimin-ah."

=

It was Saturday at midnight when Seulgi decided to hang around outside the cabin. She stood in front of the house and look afar at their built-in farm. For some reason, she can’t sleep, thinking about the conversation she had with Jimin earlier.

‘Why must they come back into her life after casting her away for thousands of years?’

She has never seen so much bull before.

“Can’t sleep?”

Seulgi got caught off guard when she suddenly heard a voice echoing coming from behind her. When she turned around she saw Joohyun, still wearing her usual clothes. The woman looks exhausted, but she’s still the prettiest woman that Seulgi has ever seen.

“Yeah. You?”

“I was about to, but I noticed you’re not in your favorite spot. So, I looked for you.” Joohyun responded.

Seulgi sighed. “I’m sorry to make you worry, if ever. I’ve just got a lot of things on my mind right now.”

“It’s okay. It’s just my mother instinct coming out again.” She said, chuckling. “So, what thoughts are on your mind, care to share? It might lift up the heaviness you’re carrying,” She added.

“Well, it’s not actually something that needs a solution nor something worth worrying about,” Seulgi said, hoping it would stop the other from asking, but then again, it’s Joohyun.

There’s no escaping from her.

“If it’s not important enough, you wouldn’t mull over it like what you’re doing right now.” Joohyun retorted back, as a matter of fact.

“Nothing could really pass you huh?” Seulgi continued. “They wanted me to come back…” She said, slowly. “I don’t really know the main reason why…” She paused, averting her gaze from the land back to Joohyun. “But you don’t have to worry, because I am not going back. At least until I have served my purpose here.”

“And that is?” Joohyun asked, albeit a little softly.

“To protect you, Joohyun.” She stated, without hesitations. “Until then…”

Seulgi is doing it again, making Joohyun’s heart flutter. The number of times she has to remind herself that she cannot let it consume her, but why does it have to be this hard?

“Thank you.” The older one said. “I don’t know what will happen to us if you’re not here.”

Seulgi could only smile in reply.

Silence envelopes them for a while until Joohyun decides to break it.

“I’ve got one question.”

“Go ahead,”

“What happens when an angel falls in love?”

Joohyun needed to know that’s why. If she’s going to risk herself, might as well knows what she’s actually getting into.

“Angel shouldn’t fall in love, Joohyun. We might look like cupids, but those are not our cup of tea.” Seulgi replied.

“Okay…,” Joohyun continued. “But what happens if they do?” She said, albeit with a hint of a quivering tone. Joohyun can almost hear her heart breaking, but she chose to ignore it.

“Well, angels are not allowed to have feelings. Having feelings can affect our mission, so we’re better off without them. But if we ever acquire it, it’s not just our mission that will be affected but also our whole being.” Seulgi paused. “You see, feelings are just for humans. If we ever caught ourselves falling in love, that means we are turning into a human, and that’s not a good thing. Because it only means all the things that make us an angel will be taken away from us. One by one.”

“Really? Like what?”

“First, it would be our physical appearances. Our wings will fade slowly, each feather will wither. The second is our powers and strength. Day by day, we will feel ourselves weakening and the list goes on,” She said.

“Oh,” Joohyun sighed in disappointment. Not like she’s expecting anything good, but a girl can also hope right?

“Yup.”

‘Well, there goes my chances…’

Joohyun’s mind is now clouded as she registered what Seulgi said earlier. ‘She’s going back’ she shuddered at the thought of Seulgi leaving. Just when she thought she’ll be with her for a long time, this happened.

Even though Seulgi promised that she won’t leave, you can’t blame Joohyun. She knew that from the moment they met, eventually, Seulgi had to leave because technically she does not belong there. But still. It hurts knowing that it’s inevitable.

The angel took Joohyun's shivering as a sign that she was cold. So, Seulgi chose to offer a solution for that.

"You know, one thing about being an angel is that I can manipulate my body heat.” The angel suddenly said.

Joohyun is busy thinking about Seulgi’s departure that she got startled when the latter spoke. "Really?" She asked, surprised.

"Yup. Do you want to try it? It's a free trial," Seulgi spread her arms, motioning the other to move closer to her and Joohyun did. Joohyun scoots over to her and embraces the former tightly.

"You're so warm,” She said.

"I know right? Would you like to subscribe?" She said, jokingly.

"For how many months?"

"For as long as you want,"‌ Seulgi said softly, and Joohyun’s heart tugged at that.

“Lifetime it is then.” She confessed while enveloping Seulgi more closely than she already did.

Seulgi beamed at her reply and embraced Joohyun more. Without a thought, she softly lay a soft kiss atop Joohyun’s head and said, “Okay.”

Joohyun doesn’t want to let go of Seulgi.

Not now, not ever.

And Seulgi feels the same.

=

Admittedly, life in the cabin has been good. Months of being with humans are filled with nothing but happiness. Seulgi got closer to each kid and even more to their eldest unnie, Joohyun. Months had passed from the day she met with Jimin so Seulgi thought that they would leave her alone, but god, she was wrong. She woke up in the morning feeling really good until she saw a note left in the nook’s window. The moment she saw it, she knew it was going to ruin her day.

"Meet me at the place where pink hues of flower bloom in the sunrise. I'll be waiting for you - S"

She perfectly knows who left this because there’s only one being she knows in her life that adores cherry blossom so much. Seulgi immediately dressed presentably and walked to where the tree was planted, the area at the top of the small hill where there was only one beautiful tree solely standing. When she made it to the said hill, she can already see the person who left the note, waiting patiently for her.

"Hello, Seulgi" The girl greeted when Seulgi are already standing in front of her.

"Cut the crap, Seungwan. What do you want?"

"Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?" Seungwan jokes.

"That's it. I'm leaving"

"Whoa. You've been living down here for a long time that you've lost touch with our humor?"

Seulgi rolled her eyes. "Why are you here?" She asked, irritatingly.

"Can't I visit my loving friend?"

"You can't. Now, go home," Seulgi turned around and was about to walk away when Seungwan said, "I would, only if you do it too.”

And that made her stop. Seulgi turned around and gave the girl a perplexed look. "What?"

"Apparently, they ask me to you, and not to come home until you're with me."

"Why?"

"Like what Jimin said, they wanted you to come back, Seulgi," Seungwan stated.

"They kicked me out and now, they are asking for that? Bull!" She exclaimed.

"They need you. The underworld is moving and war is threatening to happen in a few days. We are lacking in defense. Not many are capable enough to join.”

“And they think I am capable?”

“Even though you made a mistake once, you are still one of the greatest soldiers we’ve ever had, Seulgi,” Seungwan said, as matter of fact.

Yes, Seulgi was once a soldier angel, a great one. Along with her is Seungwan. Surviving battles and years together. If you look up their history, Seulgi is one of the few that other angels looked up to because she never faltered or failed. She always succeeds in every mission given to her. She’s been a soldier for eons until she decided to be a guardian.

The reason is only that she found amazement in witnessing every step in human life as they grow old. When Seulgi was a soldier, all she did was stay in heaven and sometimes come down to the plate of Earth to defeat evil, then also fight demons along the way to hell before they even got a chance to come up.

Eventually, she grew tired of it. That was when she discovered the wonder of being a guardian, so she didn’t hesitate and requested her higher-up to be demoted, and luckily, they agreed.

"I will never come back, Seungwan. End of discussion." Seulgi declared strongly.

Seungwan sighed in frustration. "Why not?" She asked, her tone also hardening.

"..."

"It's the human, isn't it?" Seungwan paused. “You've grown attached to her.”

"That human has a name…"

"Yes. She does. And you're not supposed to be attached to someone like her!" Seungwan yelled, she moved closer to the other, gesturing that she was annoyed by how Seulgi is acting.

But Seulgi never backed down so instead she stood firm and gave a stern look to the other.

"You're not the boss of me. I can do whatever I want!”

"You never really learned, do you?" Seungwan asked. "Do you want me to remind you why you are in this situation in the first place? You let your feelings get the best of you instead of thinking rationally!”

"Stop."

"Maybe if you focus on your mission instead of caring more about them than you were supposed to, then maybe you'll still be a guardian right now and you won't lose that human!"

"I said stop!" Because of the anger bubbling up inside her, Seulgi screamed in frustration and subconsciously used her power; by repelling the things that surrounded them.

However, the budding tension that’s building around them got interrupted by the loud explosion near where they are. The guardian angel followed where the deafening sound came from, she realized that it was almost near the city.

And Joohyun along with Minjeong, Yerim, Sooyoung, and Aeri is in the said location right now.

‘. I knew I should’ve come with them.’

Fearing that there was something that might happen to them, Seulgi almost dashed away from Seungwan, but the girl held her wrist, hindering her from going.

"Seulgi, please. Come back home."

"I can't, Wannie."

"Would you think for yourself for a second?! You’re not a soldier anymore. Their weapons are lethal, they could kill you. I beg of you, please! Don’t go," Seungwan asked desperately, not wanting her friend to get into danger.

Seulgi understands where Seungwan is coming from. They were best friends after all.

"I'm sorry, but I have to protect Joohyun." She said.

Seungwan deflated. She let go of Seulgi’s hand, but not without asking a question she’s been wanting to ask.

“Is that all there is?” She paused. “…or there’s more?” Seungwan continued. “Tell me, Seulgi. If you really wanted to protect Joohyun, why did you kill Seokjin?”

“…”

“I never took you for someone who will kill their fellow angel just to protect a human. So, look at me in the eye, and tell me, why did you kill Joohyun’s designated Guardian?!” Seungwan query.

Still no response from the other.

“Tell me!” Seungwan roared.

“You won’t understand!” Seulgi yelled back.

Angrily, Seungwan released her dashing ivory-colored wings and lunged forward to Seulgi. She dragged the other angel as she propelled her into the tree aggressively that it almost left a dent.

“Then make me understand!” She yelled yet again as she grabbed Seulgi’s collar.

Seulgi looked at Seungwan. She can see the frantic bloodshot eyes, staring at the deepest part of her stained soul.

It was impactful, but she didn’t falter.

“I killed him because I have to! I know what he’s planning to do to the kids, Seungwan. Seokjin volunteered to take over the duty because he wanted to sell the souls of those children to the demons. I killed him because I wanted to protect them!”

“W-What?” Seungwan asked, worryingly. Her tight grip on Seulgi’s collar is starting to loose.

“Jisoo came to me that day when Seokjin volunteered to be Joohyun’s guardian. She informed me because I told her that once they have found Joohyun’s guardian, she has to notify me,” She paused. “I know why she doesn't have one because it was supposed to be me. After I saved her life that fateful day, I discovered that I was her destined guardian, but then I failed my mission before her so they had no choice but to exile me and choose another one.”

Seungwan continuously stared at her. She unwarily moved away a little from the fallen angel as the words started to register in her mind. The realization is slowly hitting her.

“I’ve observed Seokjin for so long and I know he won’t do any good. So when Jisoo told me about it. I immediately took action,” She paused. “And I was right. Because the moment he came down, he met up with a demon and I heard them talk about their bargain,”

Horror filled Seungwan’s face after learning about their fellow guardian. She never knew Seokjin could do such things, she trust him so much because the angel does not show any bad things to her. But to her utter surprise, it turns out it was just a fake façade.

Seulgi sighed. She too didn’t believe it at first, but as she said, Seulgi’s been observing Seokjin for a long time so it’s not really surprising to her now. “I know it’s wrong, but I do not regret any second of it.” She said.

“Joohyun.” She paused. “Because of her, I finally understand my sole purpose in this lifetime of mine.”

“I failed once, Wan. I can’t fail again. Not this time. Not ever. Even if it will cost every bit of my being, I will make sure that all of them are safe. Whatever it takes.” Seulgi turned around. But before she walked away, she slightly turned her head sideways and subtly looked at her friend.

“So, don’t ever try to stop me, Seungwan. Because Joohyun, that human, is the one I would die protecting.”

Seulgi freed her ebony wings and flew across the safe sky.

Seungwan could only sigh as she watched the fallen angel take flight. “Even in your darkest form, you are more than an angel they ought you to be…”

=

Seulgi arrived at the city in a matter of seconds. She lands in a secluded area where no one can see her. Following her instinct, it leads her to Joohyun and the kids currently at. She saw them hiding behind a gift shop. There’s a bunch of armies terrorizing and threatening to take away the citizens again, with their guns and armed vehicles. Seulgi hides behind a wall, near the gift shop store. She swiftly crouches and arrives at the adjacent store where Joohyun and others hide.

“Psst!” Seulgi was relieved that she managed to get their attention. She beckons them to move to her side, and because of the commotion happening, the men didn’t notice the movement happening at the corner. The kids managed to move from their position to Seulgi’s.

“Follow me,” Seulgi whispered as she noticed everybody is already with her.

“How did you find us?” Joohyun softly whispered while they crouch walking.

“Instincts. See, this is why I should have come,” Seulgi whispered back, albeit her tone was hardening a little.

“I’m sorry…I never knew they would come” Joohyun hangs her head low, and Seulgi’s heart softens.

“It’s okay. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have blamed you,” She said.

They were about to successfully get away from the city when suddenly a group of men stopped in front of them. They are almost a few feet away from the forest.

‘.’ Seulgi blurted in her mind. They can’t be noticed because they are outnumbered, but here they are.

“Yah! Captain, there are more kids here!” One of the soldiers shouted.

“Capture them!”

Of course, Seulgi’s mind instantly turned into a protective side.

"There are too many of them. You two, take the kids out of here. I will handle this until all of you are safe" Seulgi commanded Yerim and Sooyoung. “Joohyun come with them!”

"B-but Seul-" Joohyun hesitated. She knows Seulgi is capable, but the angel became a part of her life, and she can’t help but worry.

"Go! NOW!" Seulgi could only scream at Joohyun’s stubbornness.

When the kids and Joohyun ran away, the soldier followed. But Seulgi won’t let that happen, she attacks before they even reach them.

“You have to go through with me first.” She asserted, with spite and malice.

“Are you sure you can beat us? You’re only one and we are ten,” The ‘captain’ said arrogantly and it made Seulgi’s blood boil.

“Try me then.” And so they did.

Being an angel have its advantage and that is super strength, speed, and endurance. Without ease, Seulgi killed all of them instantly using her dagger. But just when she thought it was over, there were still more than 20 opponents she have to beat.

“H-How did she…?” One of the soldiers asked, they came from the other side of the city. When they heard about battling with one woman from one of the fallen soldiers that pinged them about it, they immediately ran to the said place. And they were shocked when what welcomed them was a bunch of soldiers lying down on the floor, with their own blood scattered all over their bodies.

“Come on now, let’s get this thing over with,” Seulgi said as she positioned herself with a defensive stance.

Minutes after the battle, Seulgi managed to defeat all of them. She was never a fan of mass killing, if she’s being honest. But if that is all it takes to protect Joohyun, she will do it. Seulgi was about to walk away from the scene when suddenly, she sensed an aura she’s not entirely a fan of.

It smells evil.

And evil was never good.

Seulgi turned around and there she saw someone that gave her the biggest shock of her life.

“S-Seokjin…” She stuttered.

“Surprise…” Seokjin smirked at her. Clad with black clothes, with his hybrid wings. Mixed with black and white. A sword hangs from his black belt and his feet are dripping and covered with black goo.

“Yes, I’m still alive. Unbelievable right?” He asked, pretentiously. “At first, I was also confused why, because we both know you killed me. Stab me with your holy sword straight through my heart,” Seokjin took a step closer to Seulgi, with narrowed eyes straight into her.

“But then I realized, it will only take effect if the wielder is also divine. So when I woke up and end up in Hell, I know something is wrong,” He paused. “And now looking at how pitiful you are, I know I am right.”

“Now I am coming back because Luci told me to…” Seokjin pulled out his sword. Suddenly, a raging flame flared up from it. “And he specifically said I need to take you down with me, whatever it takes.” He stated.

Seulgi’s eyes flicker. She never expected Seokjin is still alive and now, he’s coming back to capture her. She pulled out her dagger and connect herself to it. She closed her eyes and in mere seconds, it turned into a white marble sword.

“People in Heaven can’t even make me come home, and now you want me to go to hell? That’s very ambitious of you.” She positioned herself in a tactical stance.

Seokjin lunged swiftly at her and started to fight.

Okay, maybe she underestimates Seokjin's strength because she never expected him to be this strong. The demon was never this strong. Seokjin clashed his sword with hers that it clunks loudly. Seulgi pushed Seokjin and repelled him to the other side and he ended up getting smashed to the nearest establishment– and judging by how strong she threw Seokjin’s body, it dramatically broke down.

But not a second had passed, and the hybrid howled in range, black eyes gleaming. Seokjin charged at her direction, with his flaming sword pointing directly at Seulgi. Not trying to get herself killed, she shields the attack using her sword, creating the harsh sounds of two blades rippling through the battlegrounds of the city.

“I’ll kill you!” Seokjin screamed while he spun the sword which Seulgi instantly dodged. But because of the speed and strength, of the other exhibiting, Seulgi got slashed by the sword.

She jumped away from the raging hybrid, and clutch her shoulder where a big wound can be seen. Constant flow of red blood emitted from it.

“Aw, …”

Seulgi was about to attack when she sensed a new presence behind her. She glanced at her back and saw Joohyun.

‘What the hell is she doing here?’

Joohyun remained in her position as she saw a scary man of what seemed to be a demon standing a few feet away from Seulgi. She came back because she wanted to check if Seulgi was still alive. When she made sure that the kids are safe and Jimin’s with them (She knows about her too, Seulgi told her last time) she went off.

“Oh, a human,” Seokjin said. “You know her, Seulgi?”

“No.” Seulgi lied.

If Seokjin discovers that Joohyun is her human, the hybrid will attack her.

And unfortunately, she’s right.

“Liar.” Seokjin immediately moved away front he angel and changed his direction.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Joohyun.” He flew apace to where Joohyun is and Seulgi got scared for the first time in her life.

The need of protecting the girl clouded her mind, Seulgi advanced and stood between the human and the hybrid.

Unfortunately, Seulgi was not expecting Seokjin will tilt his sword onward that when she finally stood between them, his sword pierce deeply through her stomach.

“SEULGI!” Joohyun yelled for her life as she saw the blade pass through Seulgi’s body.

“Ahhh!” Seulgi kneeled with one leg. She moved her gaze from the sword penetrating on her to Seokjin who is arrogantly looking at her with a smirk on his face. Her eyes narrowed at the hybrid. The immense pain coursed through her body and she almost shut down, but she couldn't.

All her life, she never backs down from a fight. She’s not going to give up now.

Not when there’s someone waiting for her.

With all the strength she had, Seulgi used her ability and repelled Seokjin away from them. She tried to stand up and slowly removed the sword stabbed at her.

“AHHH!” After a series of screams, she successfully took it away and threw it at the other side.

“Quite a fighter, I see.” Seokjin, who’s slowly pacing back to them, said.

“It will take more than that t-to defeat me, .” She positioned herself in a defensive stance again and pulled up her sword, ready to protect her human.

On the other hand, Joohyun’s gaze is fixed on Seulgi. She watched the way how the blood run through her back and it left Joohyun confused.

‘S-She’s b-bleeding… She c-can’t bleed red unless…”

Horror filled her mind as the realization hit her.

That’s the reason why Seulgi doesn’t want to talk about fallen angels.

Why she never wanted to show her wings.

Seulgi was never her guardian, nor was a dutiful angel.

She was a fallen.

Knowing that Joohyun might realize it by now, Seulgi freed her wings. It was big, black, and intimidating and even Seokjin felt stunned.

“I knew it.”

“Less talk, more fight.”

Seulgi is now the one who attacked. Their battle went on, much debris scattered on the floor as all the buildings surrounding them were destroyed.

“.” Seulgi huffed painfully after Seokjin sent her flying across the field. Because of the amount of attacks she received, Seulgi coughed with blood spilling from .

‘He grew stronger the last time we fought. If I don’t stop this now, I’m afraid I’ll last any longer.’

The angel turned to look at the woman whose name she’s been repeatedly saying in her head like a mantra.

‘Joohyun. I need to protect my Joohyun.’

Unwilling to take longer than it should, Seokjin unleashed his abilities. He lifted Seulgi and using his attraction power, he pulled Seulgi back to him.

The fallen angel grudged by the force pulling her through. But when she was close to Seokjin, he pointed his sword outward again.

This time with a different aim.

A deafening scream can be heard across the battleground as Seokjin’s sword pierced straight to Seulgi’s chest, near her heart.

“Die, fallen.” He whispered closely to her ear with trenchant venom.

Just when Seulgi thought it’ll be the end of her, when Seokjin pulled out his sword and was about to stab her again, a strong force stopped him and repelled him away from the dying angel.

“Hands off, Seokjin.” Seungwan immediately came to her friend’s aid. She was on her way to get back to the upper palace when she heard the piercing scream of her loving friend. Concerned, she immediately abandons the higher-up's order and goes back to the land.

Seungwan moved closer to Seulgi as she slowly fell down on the ground from the grip of the hybrid.

“H-Hey…” Seulgi greeted, whilst trying to smile despite the extensive pain coursing through her body.

“Hey…” Seungwan said, almost stuttering as she hides away the pain of seeing her friend like this. “I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay… You are not at fault h-here…” Seulgi says.

Both of them heard a loud groan coming from where Seokjin was thrown. Seungwan pulled out her sword and readied herself.

“D-Don’t kill yourself.”

“Pft. I’m not as weak as you,” Seungwan said, kiddingly. She turned her gaze from her injured friend to the human standing behind them. “Take care of her, I’ll take care of him.” She moved as she battled with the hybrid.

As fast as lighting, Joohyun moved to Seulgi’s side. “S-Seul…” She cried out.

“Joohyun-ah…” Seulgi said, with a small smile on her face. “Y-You must be surprised. Seeing me like this…” She paused. “I’m sorry for lying…”

Joohyun cradled Seulgi’s head onto her lap and caressed her head. “It’s okay. You’re forgiven.”

She glanced at Seulgi’s wings and honestly, she never knew black could be this mesmerizing.

“It’s beautiful…”

“What is?”

“Your wings. It’s beautiful, Seulgi.” Joohyun said, and the angel, even with all the blood tainting her body, managed to give a bright smile.

Because it only means one thing.

Joohyun accepted her.

Her true form.

And there’s no more gratifying than knowing that the one you cherish the most accepts you for what you are.

“Looks like your subscription to my warmth is coming to an end now…” Seulgi coughed and blood spits from .

Joohyun broke down as the words coming from the other delivered to her mind. “N-no…”

And once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream.

“S-Seul, please… please breathe. Breathe for me,” Joohyun cried out loud. She’s cradling the angel in her arms. “Please, hold on to me… I begged you… please…”

“P-Please, d-don’t–“ Joohyun moved her gaze from the angel to her wings. “Wa-wait… Seul, your wings…” She watches as it starts to wither.

And there’s only one reason why it’s happening.

“I’m c-completely a fallen angel n-now…” Seulgi paused and smiled.

“Although this time, I am gr-grateful…” She paused again. Seulgi slowly moved her hand up to caress Joohyun’s face which the other girl quickly bask into her cheek, desperately.

“Because I g-get a chance to fall again… though this time not on the ground… B-but I fell in love…” Seulgi smiled “…with someone as great as you, J-Joohyun…”

Joohyun smiled.

And Seulgi beamed.

Seeing Joohyun smile is everything she asked for before she stopped breathing.

“I love you, Joohyun.”

Even with all the noises around them caused by two battling beings, the raven-haired heard it loud and clear.

Moved by the sudden confession, Joohyun couldn’t help herself and kissed the angel, pouring all the love she has for her, while the tears continues to flow from her eyes.

It is not unrequited after all.

Seulgi loves her.

And she does too.

“I love you too, Seul.” Joohyun said.

“You are the best thing that ever happened in the entire eons I’ve lived…”

“S-Seul…” Joohyun cried out, cradling the dying angel closely into her arms.

Seulgi slowly shut her eyes as she basks in the warmth of her lover.

“N-no, please. Seulgi, don’t die on me. You promised me! Please! Please! No, Seulgi. You can’t do this to me. Just… p-please…” Joohyun desperately begged.

‘So, this is how it feels like.’

Seulgi thought she’s never been this close to heaven.

“N-No…”

In the last seconds, before she drifted off to sleep, Seulgi could only think of Joohyun. Her name was on Seulgi’s lips when she finally closed her eyes, and say,

“I will always be yours, in this lifetime and the next…”

=

2 years later

After the painful battle, Joohyun went back to her life. Taking care of the kids. When Seulgi died, Seungwan took her. The blonde angel managed to defeat the hybrid, and so, she took Seulgi’s body and took her back home to give the fallen angel a proper burial. At first, Joohyun doesn’t want to let go, but she has to as Seulgi needs to come back to her home. So, with a heavy heart, she let go of the love of her life.

Two years had passed but the pain still lingers in her. Most nights she dreamt of the angel and then she will wake up crying. It made the kids worried, of course. Luckily, Jimin is there to take care of them. The angel understands what Joohyun going through so she stayed. Until days turned into months and Joohyun is starting to get back into her life.

One day, she woke up and take care of the things she left when Seulgi left her. Right now, because of Seulgi, Seungwan is also their ally now. The higher angel almost assigned five angels to guard them, which Joohyun are grateful for. They are now perfectly safe.

Joohyun was about to go to sleep after playing board games with the kids when someone knocked at their door. Thinking that maybe it was just Seungwan again, visiting them. The said angel usually visits at night so she opened the door.

But then, nothing could ever prepare her for what welcomed her.

“Hi, good evening miss. I humbly apologize for the bothersome I’ve caused you at this late hour. My name’s S-“

“Seulgi…” Joohyun breathed, heavily.

“Yes. That’s right. How do you know?” Seulgi responded to her with a perplexed look. “Have we met before?”

“O-oh, no-not at all. I-uhh, just a guess.”

“Oh! Great intuition then,” Seulgi chuckled. “By the way, yeah, like I said I am sorry for bothering you. It’s just that I lost my way while finding my troop when I stop over for a while to pet a dog. Now I can’t find them and it’s raining so hard right now. Is it okay if I stay here for a night just for shelter? I don’t mind sleeping anywhere.”

“Yes. Of course.” Joohyun paused. “You can stay for as long as you want.”

“Oh really?” Seulgi exclaimed, happily. “Well, thank you for that. After you.” They walked inside the cabin and Seulgi observe the house with a smile on her face, it was pretty comfortable she thought.

'Is this actually happening?'

“My name is Joohyun, by the way”

“Ah, that’s a great name.”

“Thank you.” Joohyun paused. “You look like you went through a lot today. We have snacks and drinks here. Do you want to eat?”

Seulgi respectfully declined. “Oh, no. I’m fine. I’m trained to get through the day without food intake.” She said, jokingly. “Don’t worry. I supposed I can just grab a little snack in case I get hungry later, right?”

“Of course. Hahaha. Go, find wherever you’re comfortable with.”

“I’ll take the nook,” Seulgi said. She’s been eyeing it since the moment they entered the living area. It looks really comfortable.

‘Of course.’ Joohyun thought.

“Yeah. Go ahead. No one sleeps there”

“Really?” Seulgi asked in excitement, to which Joohyun replied with a nod.

“Thank you so much for this. I know this is quite crazy, especially in our times, but you still let me stay. You are so kind.”

Joohyun smiled. “No problem. Well, good night. I hope you’ll sleep well. I’ll be in my room, the first one upstairs. If you need me…” Joohyun said.

However, before she could go to her room to gush about this fateful meeting, Seulgi called for her.

“It’s really nice to meet you, Joohyun.”

“It’s nice to meet you too, Seulgi.”

 

THE END