Chapter 1: Coincidence

It's a Start

 

It was a foggy morning and a little bit too cold for 7:00 AM on a Sunday, but you didn't mind. You needed to clear some things from your head and today was going to be the perfect day to do so. "Gotta make a choreography for my dance class to present..." you groaned, almost forgetting about the project. Stuffing your iPod and mini-speakers into your bag, you headed for the park. "It's going to be a good day. It MUST be a good day," chanting this, you set your belongings down in a secluded section of the park, set up your iPod and picked a warm-up song from your playlist: SHINee's Replay. Smiling, you remembered the time when you labored over the mirrored versions of the song day after day on the computer just to get the dance down. Softly, the iPod started and your body melted perfectly to the dance steps.

A little over ways from where you were was a young boy with bright orange dyed hair hidden beneath a white hoodie. Taemin was dragging an unwilling little pup from lifting his leg on a bed of flowers. "Aiish, Mocha, not there, not there!" Suddenly, the dog stopped struggling and sat down, staritng intently at Taemin who stared back sternly. 

"Now you listen--" 

WOOF!! 

The dog bolted, its leash quickly snapping away from Taemin's hands. "YAH!! Mocha!!" In a dead sprint, the pup romped off toward a girl dancing, its eyes glinting mischievously. "MOCHA! NO, MOCHA, NO!" Taemin yelled, running after the pup. Fortunately, the caramel-colored animal slowed down to a jog, sniffing towards the girl. Taemin shook his head, slowing his pace and whispering fiercely, "Don't bother her, Mocha. Yah! Yah! Come here, c'mon boy, please! Shh! Mocha....MOCHA!" The dog turned its head to the boy and with a grunt, hurled its body onto the girl, toppling her over on the grass.

"AAHH!" You screamed in surprise at seeing a dog abruptly throwing itself at you. "What the heck?!" You tumbled down onto the grass, rubbing your head in pain. "Oww....." you stared at the dog, wincing. However, all worry left you as you gazed into its big, round brown eyes. "AWW, YOU ARE SO ADORABLE!! I'M SORRY, ARE YOU HURT?" You exclaimed, clamping the dog in a tight hug as it playfully your face. "You areeee sooo cuteee! Who's a good boy, who's a good boy?!" Murmuring baby sounds, you ruffled the dog's fur happily.

"Umm....? Excuse me..." Taemin had caught up and was slowy inching his way toward you. 

"Aww, are you lost? Where's your owner? Coochie-coo!" Too preoccupied with the dog, you didn't hear the shy voice from behind you.

"Um, annyeong? That's my dog." He tapped you on the shoulder, causing you to spin around in surprise, your cheeks flushed red.

"Ah--oh, um, I'm sorry...I was uh....I thought he was lost and uh..." You stuttered, mentally slapping yourself in the process. Please don’t tell me he just heard all the things I was saying….Why does he look so familiar anyway?

"That's fine," the boy smiled, his teeth glinting in the peeking sun. He held out his hands for you, pulling you up to your feet. You blushed slightly at the touch of his soft hands, which wound tightly around yours. “Sorry about that, he got away from me.”

“It’s okay…” you replied shyly, eyes downcast.

Realizing the awkward air, Taemin coughed. “Were you dancing?” He asked, pointing to your iPod. SHINee’s Replay was still playing. “You’re really good!”

You gasped slightly. “You were watching?”

“No, um, I mean I—“ He stuttered, putting his hands up. “I wasn’t doing anything bad or anything, I just stumbled along and well—“

Smiling, you let out a soft giggle. “Hahah, that’s okay…thank you…!” You grinned.

Taemin sighed, smiling back at you, the corner of his lips tugging into a smirk. What a cute smilewait, what am I thinking?! I barely met her! Shaking his head, he asked nonchalantly, “Are you a dance student?”

“No, I’m a transfer. I do need to choreograph something though for tomorrow’s class…but it’s kind of hard finding a dance studio here, so I just chose the park.”

“Oh! Then I’ll take you to one—it’s on me.” Suddenly, he grabbed your hand, already dragging you half outside the park along with the pup, who followed along happily. 

*****

Arriving at the studio, your jaw dropped. It was a spacious room lit with bright, filtered sunlight through the windows. "This is so awesome! Are you sure we can use this?"
 

Taemin nodded, "Of course--it's an apology for Mocha running into you." He glared sideways at the dog, who ignored him and started snoring in a corner. "Feel free to dance."

"Oh...err, sorry, I feel kind of weird dancing in front of people unless it's performing." You blushed, cheeks turning a tomato red. Taemin raised a brow and let out a husky laugh. 

"Then I'll learn with you. You can teach your choreography to me!" 

"Eh?! But I still need to make it!" You exclaimed, shocked at this boy--who was really quite handsome--offering his help to someone he barely met.

"It's okay, I'll help you out. What song?" Taemin walked over to you, his gaze making you turn away in haste to find your iPod.

"This one..." With a soft whisper, you played your favorite song. Taemin closed his eyes, nodding and then started free-styling. Your jaw dropped in admiration. It was like watching an idol. Suddenly, it hit your head. HOLY COW, IT'S TAEMIN. Your hand immediately went up to your mouth in shock, causing the boy to stop and look at you in worry.

"Are you okay, are you sick?" He asked, taking a few steps toward you until he was only a foot away. You looked up to his face, noticing how tall he was in comparison to you. You gave out a small internal scream.

"Ye-yeah...I'm okay!" 

"Then shall we?" He held out his hand gingerly. "I've got some ideas for the beginning."

*******

Half an hour of trying to calm yourself--followed by an hour of dancing--you slouched down on the floor, tying your hair up in a ponytail. "That was great!! I haven't made such a fun piece in a long time! I usually get frustrated but not this time!"

Glancing sideways at you, Taemin's eyes crinkled into a smile. "Oh? That's good to hear...hold on, stay here." Standing up, he left the room in a hurry as you put away your iPod into your bag. As you rustled through your belongings, you jumped when as you felt something ice-cold brush against your cheek. Taemin came back with a bottle of water. 

"Here," he said. You took it gratefully as he sat down next t you casually. "You know...I never got to know your name."

"Oh...you're right! I'm Lee Eunhee. I'm from XX...I came here to study in Korea a few months ago." 
 

Taemin's eyes widened. "Cheongmal?! You're really fluent though...wow, you barely have no accent! Impressive. Oh, I'm Lee Taemin by the way."

"I know."

Silence.

"You know?!" Taemin stuttered, almost spurting his water. "Whaat?"
 

"it's kind of hard not to recognize a Korean idol, you know. Your hair kind of gave it away." You replied, laughing slightly at his shocked face. "I just didn't want to say anything since I'm sure you already have a lot of fans going berserk over you."

Taemin blushed, taking a sip of his water then glanced at you from the side. "Are you a fan? Of me?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I be?!" You shouted, realizing it was loud and hastily covered your mouth. 

"How old are you?"

"Eh? 18, why?"

Taemin gave an embarrassed look. Noona said she was just a fan....nothing special. Calm down Taemin, sheesh! 

"Nothing, just curious." He replied, his hands suddenly reaching toward you to tuck strands of fallen hair behind your ear. Quickly, his hands retreated in shock as he realized what he had done. "S-sorry, noona...It's just, I feel like we've been friends for a while. Weird, huh?"

You turned a furious red as his hands brushed across your cheek in its retreat. "Yeah...!" You exclaimed, trying to shrug the feeling off. "It does feel like we've talked for a long time."

"When's your dance class? Maybe I can drop by sometime?" The young boy asked shyly, scooting a bit farther from you in effort to resist teasing you. 

"Two days from now? Will you come?!" You replied excitedly, your eyes glowing in anticipation. The maknae smiled in response and nodded. 

 

 

 

 

*END* Sorry, I start my stories off a bit slow to get a good foundation. But things will pick up in the next chapter!~ >:)