Nov 13 - Red Strings of Fate

Kaleidoscope

Kyuhyun believed in fate.

.

.

.

He heard about Super Junior from his sister and her friends. They dragged him to watch Super Junior's performance on TV together and started to argue about which member is the cutest. During that, his eyes were drawn to a boy who was at the far back but his voice shone out so brightly. He tried to take a better look at the said boy with a beautiful and unique voice but the camera barely captured him, not even when it was his lines, not even when he sang most of the adlib (and did it amazingly at that). Frustrated, he asked the sisters about the mysterious boy.

 

"That boy? He's Yesung, meaning art-liked voice. His voice is really good but his popularity..."

"I like him."

 

He said confidently and grinned when the camera finally shot his idol, only to frown again when the camera quickly moved away. The sisters were stunned by his direct exclamation but happily once they recovered from the surprise. He pouted and ignored them to listen attentively to his idol's singing.

 

"Yesung hyung..."

 

Will he be able to stand by Yesung hyung's side?

.

.

.

Yesung didn't believe in fate.

.

.

.

Ever since he was young, Yesung achieved his goals by working hard not because of some unknown power at play. Fate was unreliable so he never believed in it. The reason why he took so long to debut, unlike the other trainees? He didn't work hard enough. The reason why he wasn't recognized, unlike other members? He didn't work hard enough. The reason why no one knew him even though he was also in Super Junior? He didn't work hard enough. The reason why the cameras rarely shot him even though it was his line? He didn't work hard enough. As long as he worked hard, it might take a lot of time but he will surely succeed.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun is a very talented trainee and the current rising star. He will be the thirteenth member as another main vocal."

 

...He needed to work harder than everyone else because he was fated to fail.

 

******************************************************

 

He really did become an idol, just like Yesung hyung.

 

After watching more of Super Junior's performances along with his sister, Kyuhyun started to dream of following in their steps. He wanted to stand on the stage and showed his talents to the whole world. He wanted to be like them, shining and inspiring. He wanted to receive love and support from people who liked his singing. Most importantly, he wanted to be in the same world as his idol, Yesung hyung. So, he went to the SM Company and successfully passed the audition after talking with his father to let him pursue this career. The practice was hard but he didn't give up because it was his dream to be an idol and to meet his idol— Yesung hyung. Although he had to face jealousy and bullying from some trainees, he ignored them and kept working hard. He almost couldn't believe his ears when the teacher told him that he was chosen to join Super Junior. He will get to meet his idol soon!

 

He didn't expect to meet his idol so soon...

 

"Are you Cho Kyuhyun?"

"Y-Yes, sunbae..."

"Good. Try singing once."

 

Kyuhyun gulped nervously. While he was practicing singing alone, Yesung hyung suddenly strode in and told him to sing something. The older boy looked even more gorgeous up close. His eyes were so beautiful and powerful that his heart raced faster. He stood still dumbly and only moved when his idol coughed once. Flustered, he sang way off the correct notes and even forgot the lyrics halfway. He was very upset with himself and worried that he might disappoint his idol. He glanced at the other boy worriedly but Yesung hyung didn't seem to be annoyed. On the other hand, his idol kindly told him to calm down and try again. So, he retried singing, worked hard to show his skills and sincerity, and waited excitedly for the older boy's comments.

 

"...Not bad."

 

Not bad. That was all his idol said but it was enough to widen his beam. Maybe his smile was infectious. Soon after seeing his puppy smile, Yesung hyung also smiled in return. Those mesmerizing eyes had softened to the point that he felt like melting into a puddle. When the older boy made to turn and leave, he got panicked. He didn't want their meeting to end just yet!

 

"W-Wait! Sunbae, if it's alright with you, could you please give me some pointers...?"

"Sorry, but I have to record a guided singing for our next album soon."

"Oh, of course, sunbae must be busy..."

"Besides," Yesung hyung eyed him amusedly, "you'll have plenty of chances to see me in the future, won't you?"

 

It took him almost ten minutes after his idol left to process those words. Once he did, he couldn't stop shouting and jumping happily. He will get to sing with his idol soon!

.

.

.

"Are you Cho Kyuhyun?"

"Y-Yes, sunbae..."

"Good. Try singing once."

 

Yesung couldn't help but pity himself. Instead of practicing more, he came to check out the new kid who might replace him in the near future. Cho Kyuhyun is a good-looking young man with a very beautiful and charming voice. Even though he was nervous and made a mistake, the kid still sounded really good effortlessly. He also recalled from what the manager said that Cho Kyuhyun's family was affluent and respectable, that he wanted to become an idol because of his dream, not by a choice (or lack thereof) like him. Once he calmed Cho Kyuhyun down and told him to try again, the kid exceeded his expectation by miles.

 

"...Not bad."

 

Not bad? Who is he kidding? Cho Kyuhyun's voice and looks easily surpassed him in terms of public preference. He just knew that this kid would one day become South Korea's superstar. The kid even had a good personality. Despite being told rudely and out of nowhere by a stranger to sing, Cho Kyuhyun still smiled sheepishly and happily at him. Those innocent brown eyes reminded him of his younger brother and he couldn't help smiling back, chuckling when the younger suddenly blushed. Did he threaten the kid too much? He turned around to leave but Cho Kyuhyun unexpectedly called him.

 

"W-Wait! Sunbae, if it's alright with you, could you please give me some pointers...?"

 

Something hit him when he looked at the younger boy's hopeful eyes, not so subtly begging him to stay. Could it be that the kid's bias is him? What an irony. Still, he had confirmed with his own eyes that he indeed needed to work even harder. He told the younger that he had something to do and snorted when Cho Kyuhyun looked obviously disappointed.

 

"You'll have plenty of chances to see me in the future, won't you?"

 

Although fate brought him a potential opponent who might replace him, he didn't mind Cho Kyuhyun and could see himself being fond of the boy.

 

 

He just needed to work harder.

 

******************************************************

 

"Hello, sunbae, my name is Cho Kyuhyun. I'll be in your care from now on."

 

 

Kyuhyun looked up gingerly and felt anxious. He forgot that before he got to sing with his idol, he had to pass this stage first. Although he had already imagined this scene for countless times, it still didn't help prepare him for the actual day. Those cold or cautious reactions... He bit his lip lightly. How could he forget that his existence might pose danger to them? Super Junior might be quite popular now but nothing is set in stone yet. And his appearance might mean replacing someone, especially the main vocal line. He subtly glanced at two boys standing a bit far back— Yesung hyung and Kim Ryeowook— and tried to read their expressions. His heart warmed up a bit when his eyes met the maknae and Ryeowook smiled at him. Hopefully, they can be good friends. He looked at his idol next and anxiety arose more, not knowing what the older boy thought behind the indifferent mask.

 

"Kyuhyun doesn't have his own bed yet. Is anyone willing to share your room with him for the time being?

 

He further shrunk himself when only silence answered the manager. Of course. Who would let a potential enemy live with them? Even he thought it would be a bad idea. Maybe Ryeowook might be an exception because both of them are maknae...

 

"He can sleep in my room."

 

He looked up at the voice in disbelief, blinked, and blinked again, but it was still Yesung hyung who said that with a casual air. Why? Out of all the members here, the older boy is the one who should worry the most about being replaced by him. He never forgot what the noonas said, that Yesung hyung's singing is amazing but he doesn't seem to be the public's favorite, unlike Heechul sunbae or Kangin sunbae. Yet his hyung will...? He was happy but also confused. So, he immediately brought it up as soon as they were alone.

 

"Sunbae, why...?"

"Huh? You mean, why did I let you stay with me even though you could replace me?"

"...Yes."

"Well, I have a younger brother who's around your age so I can't help but want to look after you."

 

Ah. His hyung is too kind. He extended his kindness to him even though they could become enemies. How many times has Yesung hyung gotten hurt due to his soft heart? How many people have taken advantage of Yesung hyung's kind soul? Just the thought of it made his stomach churn. He lay down on the floor beside his hyung's bed and stared at the reliable back of his idol.

 

He must grow up faster and stronger so he can protect his hyung.

 

He made an oath in his heart and curled up under a spare blanket that Yesung hyung provided him.

.

.

.

"He can sleep in my room."

 

Yesung offered to the members' surprise. To be honest, even he was surprised at his own decision too. Why would he reach out to a rising star who might replace him? He wondered to himself. But when he looked at the younger boy's admiring gaze, he saw Jongjin in place of him and he always had a soft spot for a younger brother. He probably looked like a fool to other people and he agreed. That's why he wasn't surprised when the new maknae asked him about his unwise decision. He shrugged and told the reason, expecting Cho Kyuhyun to also look at him in disbelief.

 

The maknae's gaze did change but not in the way that he thought.

 

Cho Kyuhyun still looked at him with respect but there was something else in those round bright eyes, something soft and shining akin to a resolution. It made him feel flustered all of the sudden. He gave a spare blanket to the maknae and just went to bed to avoid further conversation. When he woke up in the middle of the night and saw the younger boy curling under the thin blanket, he thought again that he must work harder.

 

 

Not because of his own survival but to be someone worthy of that admiration.

 

*******************************************************

 

"You should watch out for how you act around Yesung hyung."

 

 

A concise but scary warning from Shindong sunbae shook his entire being. It had only been a month since he joined Super Junior. He had yet to gain approval but he already got a warning.

 

"Sunbae, I'm sorry but I don't understand it..."

"You probably didn't realize it yet but the way you look at Yesung hyung... Idolizing is fine but be careful not to cross the line. I'm speaking out of worries for you, Kyuhyun."

 

Cross the line? Even when his sunbae had left, he still couldn't wrap his head around those words. Yesung hyung is his idol and the first person who welcomed him. Of course, he would really like his hyung and nothing is wrong with that, right? Kyuhyun shrugged off the warning and just went to bed after a long day, only to wake up not long after that because he felt ticklish at his lips.

 

"Hyung!!?"

"Go back to sleep, Kyuhyun. We have to wake up early."

 

Yesung hyung was staring at him and rubbing his philtrum with that cute little finger. This hyung had a weird obsession with people's philtrum and he still couldn't get used to it. He was about to tell the older boy to sleep but froze when his eyes strayed to some inappropriate place. A summer night was very hot so his idol only wore an old white tank top with navy shorts. Due to the lack of distance between them, he accidentally looked at the older boy's chest beneath the loose top and felt strangely hot...

 

"Jeez! Hyung, you're the one who should be sleeping!"

"Kyuhyun? Isn't it too hot to sleep in a blanket?"

 

He ignored Yesung hyung and kept hugging himself under the cover, not wanting his idol to think of him as a ert. At the same time, he also understood what Shindong sunbae meant by not crossing the line...

.

.

.

Unexpectedly, Yesung grew fond of the new member. Kyuhyun was hard-working and naturally gifted. He was also polite and humble despite his outstanding family background. Most importantly, as he suspected, Kyuhyun really held him dearly and in high regard as an idol. Never once did the maknae not look at him with sparkling eyes and a puppy smile. It felt good to be looked up to; to know that someone really liked his singing and always looked forward to spending time with him. He was really happy to meet Cho Kyuhyun.

 

That's why he was sad when Kyuhyun suddenly wanted to move out of their shared room.

 

Well, he did touch the maknae's philtrum at night and startled the younger, but that shouldn't bother Kyuhyun to the point of wanting to get a new roommate, right? He secretly sulked but respected the younger boy's decision. Then, Kyuhyun stopped following him and got closer to the other members. It was a bittersweet feeling. He was happy that Kyuhyun finally got accepted into Super Junior, but he was also sad that he no longer was the only one whom the maknae looked up to.

 

 

If he worked harder, would Kyuhyun look at him again?

 

*******************************************************

 

After that night, Kyuhyun decided to move out of Yesung hyung's room before he crossed the line. He didn't expect his admiration for his idol to grow exponentially into infatuation (or that he would be attracted to a man). Thanks to Shindong hyung's warning, he was able to distance himself and divert his attention to other hyungs. He soon got closer to other members and got rid of his infatuation with his idol. After all, he knew that Yesung hyung didn't like men. He knew because he was there when his hyung shared his dating news happily, even congratulating the older man sincerely from the bottom of his heart.

 

 

Fate brought them together but only as brothers.

.

.

.

Yesung accepted that working hard couldn't get him everything. Sometimes, he couldn't fight against fate and just watched it happen, for example, the growth of Cho Kyuhyun. In the past years, he kept working hard to be a good hyung for the maknae but the younger had grown up so much that he shouldn't be tied to his side anymore. So, he let Kyuhyun go to spread his wings while putting his efforts somewhere else. Teuk hyung always told him that he worked too hard and deserved to take time to find his own happiness. Now that his position and the group's fate were perfectly secured, he decided to find love next and dated a junior girl group member who confessed to being his fan. He happily shared the good news with the members and they equally happily congratulated him.

 

Except for Kyuhyun.

 

Although the maknae sincerely congratulated him too, he sensed that the younger man wasn't happy much. And those brown eyes... Why are you looking so sad?

 

******************************************************

 

Time passed and Kyuhyun moved on from his teenage crush on his idol, Yesung hyung. He will always like and respect the older man but only as a good brother. His feelings for his hyung were pure. He wanted Yesung hyung to be happy, just like how he wanted Leeteuk hyung or Donghae hyung to be happy.

 

Until he saw Yesung hyung walking in the rain.

 

He was on his way back to the dorm after buying tteokbokki. At first, he just thought that the man in front of him looked familiar but wasn't sure due to the heavy rain and the man's hood. However, he knew as soon as he saw a pair of small hands clenching by the stranger's side that it was his hyung. He strode to the older man and used the umbrella to shield him from the rain. He reached out to the sickly pale hand and held it, sighing in relief when his hyung squeezed his hand back.

 

"Hyung, what are you doing here?"

"...She cheated on me, again."

 

Yesung hyung's hoarse voice almost got drowned out by the rain. The uniquely charming voice that he adored was shaking with a slight crack. The older man leaned on his shoulder without looking up. His smaller hand was cold and stiff. He tried his hardest to keep cool as he hooked their fingers, sharing the warmth with his hyung.

 

"Let's go home."

"... Okay."

 

He took his hyung home and made a cup of warm honey lemon juice while the older took a bath. Yesung hyung didn't say anything as he sipped the drink quietly and let him dry his hair. He stared at his hyung and his idol. If it was him in the past, he probably would be excited or flustered to stare at the exposed nape. Now, however...

 

If it was him, he wouldn't make Yesung hyung sad.

 

His hands stopped. Yesung hyung glanced up at him with a questioning raised brow and the realization hit him.

 

 

Ah, what he felt for Yesung hyung was different from other hyungs.

.

.

.

Yesung was reminded once again that working hard didn't guarantee anything in life.

 

 

He was cheated on by his girlfriend again... Even though he had done his best to make her happy, including forgiving her, again and again, every time she broke his heart. Dating wasn't easy for idols but he held on, working hard to make the most of what they had, only to be betrayed like this... When it happened the fifth time, he admitted that no matter how hard he worked, he couldn't salvage this relationship. So, he let her go, just like what he did to Kyuhyun years ago.

 

The difference was that Kyuhyun never left his side.

 

Although the maknae had fully grown up into an amazing man of talent, Kyuhyun still looked up to him with a pair of shining brown eyes. There was something else well-hidden in those eyes that he only caught a glimpse of it once in a blue moon, mostly when he felt invaluable. He never had enough time to make out the strange glint but he knew that it made his heart skip every time he saw it. That's why he didn't dare to look up from the maknae's shoulder and just squeezed the larger hand back.

 

"Let's go home."

 

Home... He liked that word. He liked the way Kyuhyun whispered it softly to him. He liked the way Kyuhyun shielded him from the cold rain. He liked Kyuhyun's strong shoulder which was always ready for him to lean on. He liked that larger hand that held on his preciously as if he was a gift to treasure. He liked a cup of warm honey lemon juice that Kyuhyun made for him after the bath. He liked it when Kyuhyun gently dried his hair for him. He liked how Kyuhyun stayed with him without asking anything.

 

He didn't like it when Kyuhyun suddenly stopped paying attention to him.

 

He glanced up at the maknae who was holding a towel and it hit him. He really, really liked Kyuhyun.

 

******************************************************

 

He liked Yesung hyung 

 

 

Yes, he really liked Yesung hyung and it was different from liking the other members. Kyuhyun quickly realized it through his actions. Although he liked the hyungs very much and would do anything for them, he took it to another level when it came to Yesung hyung.

 

 

He not only listened to but also responded to Yesung hyung's every word.

 

He always looked at Yesung hyung sincerely and lovingly while listening to his worries.

 

He always fed Yesung hyung delicious food to make sure that he ate well and didn't skip a meal.

 

He always showed his support to Yesung hyung when the older man did well in variety shows.

 

He always made sure that the food suited Yesung hyung's diet and liking when they had a group meal.

 

He always checked a weather forecast and carried an umbrella with him to pick up Yesung hyung.

 

He always comforted Yesung hyung and eased his distress after he was teased.

 

He always squeezed Yesung hyung in his arms so the older knew that he always had a place to rest.

 

 

Although he believed that they were fated to be, he didn't make any move after his hyung's breakup. He didn't judge his hyung, didn't curse the girl (no matter how much he wanted to), didn't say a word, just stayed quietly by his hyung's side until the older man felt better. Even after that, he behaved exactly the same and didn't burden his hyung with his heart. He knew that Yesung hyung cared a great deal about Super Junior and always worried about their future. So, he waited until their group had settled down safely to confess.

 

"Hyung, do you believe in fate?"

"No, I only believe in my hard work."

"I do, and I believe that we're meant to be. Yesung hyung, I love you."

"... What makes you think so?"

 

He took out a red thread and tied it around their left ring fingers, before enveloping the smaller hand.

 

"Because I make my own fate and I choose you. I may be lacking and inexperienced but will you give me a chance?"

"But we're teammates and you're my dongsaeng... What if..."

"We'll protect Super Junior and our love together, but that's a story for another time. Right now, hyung, I want to know if you're happy with me or not."

 

He waited patiently while holding their gazes. He couldn't tell what his hyung was thinking apart from being worried about Super Junior. Yesung hyung cast his eyes down at their hands, at the red string connecting their fingers, and looked again to smile softly while tightening their hold.

 

"I'm always happy being with you, Kyuhyun-ah."

 

Kyuhyun returned the joyful smile and pulled the older man into his arms. Fate had done its job guiding them to meet. Next, it is his job to make sure that Yesung hyung, his idol, his crush, his hyung, and his precious lover will believe in their chosen fate.

 

 

And he is never wrong about his decisions.

 

************************************************

 

Yesung realized that he fell for Kyuhyun.

 

 

Of course, he liked Kyuhyun. Everyone liked Kyuhyun. Who wouldn't like Kyuhyun? The maknae is such a perfect person so naturally, he will like the younger. However, he liked Kyuhyun in a different way from the other members...

 

 

He liked Donghae who listened to him rambling on for hours, but he really liked Kyuhyun's husky voice responding to everything he said.

 

He liked Siwon who looked at him attentively when he shared his worries, but he really liked Kyuhyun who looked at him attentively and fondly.

 

He liked Ryeowook who cooked tasty food for him to make sure he ate well, but he really liked Kyuhyun who fed him tasty food.

 

He liked Heebongie who told everyone to be quiet when he spoke up, but he really liked Kyuhyun who gave him a thumb-up and a supportive smile.

 

He liked Shindong who always asked him what he wanted to eat, but he really liked Kyuhyun who always made sure that the ordered food didn't contain too much flour.

 

He liked Youngwoon who stayed with him in the rain when he was upset, but he really liked Kyuhyun who carried an umbrella to pick him up when it rained.

 

He liked Hyukjae who during a show to give him a spotlight, but he really liked Kyuhyun who comforted him afterward.

 

Teuk hyung's arms and shoulders made him feel safe, but Kyuhyun's arms and shoulders made him feel at home.

 

 

Fate really wanted him to like Kyuhyun and Yesung worked hard to ignore the change of his heartbeat whenever he was near the maknae. They are good brothers and he couldn't ask for anything than that. He shouldn't ask for more from Kyuhyun who had done so much for him despite being a dongsaeng. He felt ashamed. As a hyung, he couldn't do much so the least he should do was not burden the maknae with his feelings. He was happy just being Kyuhyun's hyung.

 

His hard work failed again because Kyuhyun confessed to him.

 

He didn't expect Kyuhyun to like him too. He was happy but also anxious. He should turn down the maknae as a hyung but as Kim Jongwoon, he already accepted the cute confession in a heartbeat. Tying a red thread around their left ring fingers? As expected of Cho Kyuhyun the perfectionist and a sappy romantic man.

 

"We'll protect Super Junior and our love together, but that's a story for another time. Right now, hyung, I want to know if you're happy with me or not."

 

Yes... As expected of Kyuhyun... The maknae always knew what to say to reassure him. If the younger asked something else, he might have turned down the confession to protect Super Junior. But if Kyuhyun asked that question... He smiled at the red string connecting their fingers.

 

"I'm always happy being with you, Kyuhyun-ah."

 

 

He might not believe in fate but he can be grateful of it for bringing them together.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"So? Are we dating now? Can we kiss?"

"That's a no, hyung."

"Eh? Why?"

"... Because I'm afraid that I can't stop with just a kiss."

"You erted brat!"

"Your hand is rubbing me, hyung."

"I'm working hard."

"To do what?"

"To make you want me?"

"That's unnecessary. I've always wanted you..."

 

 

Just like how we are fated to be.

 

*********************************************

 

Author's note:

KyuSung are soulmates. Period. 👌