Chapter Two - First Week

Academic

The first week of classes came quickly. I have four courses this semester: Beginning Theatre, Monologues, Beginning Dance Methods, and Advanced Contemporary Dance. I was nervous about what type of students I would get, or what teaching approach I would take.

Would I be strict and firm? Laid back and casual? But as soon as my first class began on Monday morning, it came naturally to me. I never realized I had such a firm attention to detail, but from what I could see, my students are engaged.

The first week went by fast. On Friday evening, I have my last class ending at 3:30, the monologues course. I spent this first week explaining expectations and building the chemistry of the class so we can feel comfortable.

My room is set up with a small stage at the front with my mobile podium. "I want to assess everyone's abilities in order to get an idea of where I should begin teaching you," I address the class at the front of the room. The students all sit on large, staggered steps, with the chairs spread out.

"Pick a 3-minute monologue of your choice, study it, and prepare for an informal evaluation next week," I smile, "Dismissed. Enjoy your weekend," I clap, and everyone murmurs as they gather their belongings.

I collect the papers on my podium and get them sorted in their file folders. A few students say goodbye as they leave the class. "Professor Jung," two students approach me.

"Yes, Ms. Jang and Ms. Lim," I have finally remembered everyone's names just today, "What can I help you with?"

"We were wondering if you would consider starting a drama club on campus," Ms. Jang asked shyly, "Ever since the university cut back on the performing arts majors, we lost a lot of our clubs," she looked down shyly.

Hmm, a drama club would not be a bad idea. "You know what, let me see what I can do. I will set up a meeting with the Dean and try to get something started," I smile warmly and the two of them blush and dip their heads in thanks before leaving out of the class.

I gather the rest of my papers and turn the lights off in the room and shut the door. I glance at my watch as I make my way down the hall to my office. Students are bustling about the halls as they all laugh and make plans for the weekend.

I push my way into my office and drop the stack of papers on my desk. I spent a long time arranging my office to fit my personality. I moved the desk away from the window, so it was at my back. I placed two bookshelves on the right wall to hold all of my books, files, and documents. I placed a dark green rug across the linoleum and hung my degrees and awards on the opposite wall. Then I bought some comfy chairs from the thrift store and placed them on the other side of my desk for students to sit at when they have meetings with me.

It's not much just yet, but it will get more comfortable eventually. I sit down at the desk and boot up my computer. I have a few items to take care of in my class portal. A light knock taps on my door.

It is one of the other performing arts professors, Kim Luna, "Hello," she smiles brightly. "How did your first week go?" She asks and leans in the door frame.

I lean back in my seat and let out an exaggerated sigh, "A little stressful, but everything went well!" She laughs and walks in when I gesture for her to sit in one of the chairs.

"Well, the PA department always goes for dinner and drinks after the first week of school. You should join us, and get to know everyone," she suggests.

"That sounds absolutely amazing," I chuckle, "I am just finishing up some stuff here and I should be ready," she nods and stands up to head back to the door.

"No problem, we are meeting at the Purple Room Bar downtown at 5:30," she waves and disappears down the hall. I look down at my watch once more. I should be done by then.

I quickly finish uploading documents and assignments to the portal and pack up my work bag by 5 o'clock. I shut off the lights and lock the door. The parking lot is nearly empty when I get inside my car. I toss the bag in the back and look up the directions on my phone before heading out.

I was wearing a beige oversized cardigan and dark gray slacks all day. I decide to leave the cardigan in the car. Just my black fitted shirt and slacks should be appropriate. I park and head inside the bar.

The Purple Room is certainly purple. Purple sofas, chairs, and tables were everywhere. It was dimly lit, and music was softly playing in the background. I look down at my phone before doing a quick scan of the place.

"Professor Jung!" I hear my name and see Luna in the back of the bar with the rest of the professors waving me over. I smile and make my way through the room to their table. "Did you find the place okay?" She asked when I sat in the empty seat next to her and I nod before greeting everyone.

"This is Junhee, tenured, and Yunsul also tenured," she gestured to the two professors on the other side of the table. They didn't look older than 45, Junhee has slightly peppered hair and broad shoulders with a slim figure. Yunsul has dyed light brown hair that stops at her shoulders.

I bow slightly, "Thank you for letting me join you, I am Jung Hoseok," They welcome me warmly. Junhee reaches across the table with a bottle of soju and starts pouring it into the cup in front of me, I quickly pick up the cup and accept it graciously. "Oh, thank you, Sunbae,"

I turn to the side and take the shot. They all cheer and clap when I set the cup back on the table. "You can relax with us, we are very laid back here in the PA department," Yunsul assured me. That was a relief, as I settle into the seat. "By the way, how old are you?" She asks leaning forward.

"28," I can feel my cheeks get warm. I know I am younger than expected to be a professor. They all sigh affectionately, and I can't help but laugh.

"You are the youngest in the department, you have finally relieved me of that duty, thank you," Luna held up her hands and rubbed them together. "Here, eat up," she said pushing the plate of barbecued meat in my direction. I grab the chopsticks in front of me and grabbed a few pieces.

Before I knew it, a few hours went by, a few bottles of soju and beer later, we were talking like we were old friends. Junhee was a former Broadway prodigy. He traveled the world performing musicals and plays. Yunsul, is a ballet, jazz, and modern dance professional. Luna splits her teaching with dance and acting just like me.

As the night goes on, we all start to end our conversations and I reach for my wallet. They all try to stop me, and I wave them off, "I insist," I say firmly before getting up and heading to the front to make the payment.

My chest feels heavy, and my cheeks feel warm. I don't think I have gone out and had drinks like this in a long time. I reach the woman at the register and hand her my card, she smirks at me and swipes it.

"Has it been a while since you've gone out and had a drink?" I hear a familiar voice. I look at the bar and Min Yoongi is seated in the middle. He has papers stacked in front of him that he is scribbling on. And a tall glass of beer that is half full.

We make eye contact briefly, and he has the smallest smile on his face. I almost didn't catch it. Is he making fun of me? "Am I that transparent?" I chuckle and ruffle my hair back off of my forehead. Suddenly I feel hot.

The woman at the register hands me my card and I put it back in my wallet. I walk over to him and sit in the chair next to him, "What are you doing here?" I ask looking at his papers.

"Just going over the papers from my first assignment," he sets his pencil down and grabs his beer, "But I am about to head home," he said glancing at his watch before turning back to his glass and finishing the beer in its entirety.

It was quick, and swift. In two simple gulps, I watched his neck move as he swallowed the beer. "Are you leaving?" He asked simply before packing up his papers and placing them in that same worn-out bag. I nod and stand up.

He pulls out his wallet and drops a few bills on the counter and the bartender picks them up as well as his empty glass. Just then the professors meet me at the bar. They all wave goodbye as they bumble out of the bar.

Yoongi and I walk out together. "By Hoseokie!" They yell and giggle as they stumble down the street. Luckily, they all took public transportation here. I should have done that.

I glance over at Yoongi, and he is smirking at me, "What?" I ask.

"Are you going to be okay getting home?" He grins. I frown. I don't feel that drunk. But clearly, he sees something I cannot.

"I drove here, but I can just walk back," I shrug. He holds his hand out, I look at his hand confused, and he steps closer.

"I can drive you home, I took the bus," he says casually. I hesitate before reaching into my pocket and grabbing the keys. He senses my hesitation, "You can say no if you want," he chuckles, "But it's no problem for me," he says simply.

I drop the keys in his hand. He's right, it's no big deal. I lead him over to my little clunker of a car. He gets in the front seat, and I get into the passenger side. He gets adjusted before turning the car on. "Where to?" He asks.

I give him the directions and we pull off. "That is actually a few blocks over from my apartment," he said surprised. He looks over at me slouched in the passenger seat, "I won't have to take the bus after all, thank you Hoseok," he grins.

I watch him as he drives through the streets with one hand on the wheel. His shoulders are relaxed and his free hand rests on my gear shift. The streetlights seem flared as we pass under them, maybe I am a little drunk.

"How was your first week?" I ask, after the silence became too much. "Already giving out assignments I see," I poke fun at him.

He accepted my joke and threw it back, "Yes, I am the strict professor on campus, so I have to live up to the hype," he raised his eyebrows in a cheeky way.

We pull up to my apartment and he parks outside on the curb. We get out, he locks the doors and hands me the keys. "Safe and sound," he mumbles. He gives me the peace sign before turning on his heels to leave.

"Wait, Sunbae, are you going to be okay getting home?" I call out, and he waves me off like it's really no big deal. I watch as he casually strolls down the street in my neighborhood. "Thank you!" I yell out one last time. He looks back over his shoulder briefly, his hair falls back, and he smiles one last time before he carried on.

I blink for a moment before walking inside. I drop my belongings at the door and kick my shoes off. I stretch and walk into the bathroom. I look in the mirror and freeze. Oh my god.

My entire face was as red as ever. Like a sunburn. It has been a while since I have drunk that heavily, but this has never happened. I turn on the faucet and splash cold water on to my face. No wonder he offered to drive me home. I look sloshed. So embarrassing.

I dry my face and walk into my bedroom. I toss my shirt off and flop onto the bed. Just perfect.