The Night We Met

Only Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This story was written with a few songs in mind. For this chapter, I listened to The Night We Met by Lord Huron. For full reading experience, please read while listening to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlgYxa6BMU&ab_channel=LordHuron


 

 

None of them had seen it coming. Even if they had, it wasn’t something they could do anything about.

 

It was like this tile in a game that you couldn’t move. It was just there. You could choose to get frustrated and give up, or to work your way around it.

 

SinB had wanted to work her way around it. If she got the chance to start all over, she would’ve. But she couldn’t. She couldn’t change anything about it no matter how hard she tried.

 

They were only children back then, after all.




 

It was the week after SinB’s 16th birthday when she first saw a blue light in the house that had been empty for over a year.

 

At the time, she’d been riding her bicycle and was on her way back home. The house was a few blocks away, the convenience store she frequented being in between the two locations. She liked taking this detour even though it was almost double the time she needed to get home, just to see what was going on around her at this time of day.

 

A time where most kids were arriving home and students starting their part-time jobs. Where the trucks that passed through would take a pit stop and park nearby, blasting old music from the back of their open trucks. SinB and some school friends that lived nearby got invited over to sit with them once as they cycled past, she was sure she’d never heard of stories so interesting as the ones they had to share that night. It was definitely worth the scolding she got later for being out so late.

 

She couldn’t stay out too long without letting her parents know, so although quite prompt, the time where she rode back home was something she always looked forward to. Especially now that the house she and her friends had been talking about for months suddenly seemed to show some signs of life.

 

Shame she was alone this time, she thought. She’d just have to check it out by herself and tell the news to the others tomorrow.



 

The blue light came from the window at the side of the house. It was faint. 

 

Dark curtains had been put up and concealed most of the view, so she couldn’t really peek in to see if anyone was there unless she got closer. Now, curiosity aside, that wasn’t something she was sure she should be doing. Especially not if it could end with her getting caught and being seen as some stalker.

 

Lost in thought, SinB didn’t notice the window having been slid open as she stood there.


 

“Hey! Are you from around here? Cool bike by the way.”

A friendly voice called out. SinB squinted at the window trying to make out the figure of a person, scooting closer towards it on her bike as she failed to do so in the darkness.

 

“Hey, thanks. Yeah, did you just move in here?”

“Yup. Since yesterday, actually. There’s still boxes everywhere though, I even missed school because of it.” She motioned to the boxes behind her. The blue light was more visible now, the entirety of her room colored in a dark Persian blue.

 

“Cool. What school?”

 

“Jackson High School? James? J… I swear it was something with the J.” SinB laughed.

 

“Jones, almost. What grade are you in? If you’re in 10th we might be in the same class.”

 

“I am!! This is perfect, I was nervous about not knowing anyone here yet. I figured everyone would have grown-up together or something so it’d be hard to merge in.”

 

“That’s kind of true actually. Though there've been a few new people coming in this year and it didn’t take too long for them to join in with the others, aside from the first week of newcomer teasing.” The girl gasped, making SinB laugh. “Just kidding, you’ll be fine. I’m SinB by the way, you might get overloaded by questions on your first day but just stick around me and I’ll ask them to go easy on you. Everyone’s nice, just a bit… over excited whenever new people come.”

 

“Got it. I’m Yerin.’ The girl offered her hand seemingly for SinB to shake, instead pulling her in for a hug, taking SinB by surprise. “It was nice meeting you!! I’ll have to go to bed now or I’ll be a walking corpse and that’s not a great first impression. I’ll see you tomorrow!” She said with a bright smile.

 

“Sounds like a good plan, see you.” SinB returned her smile, Yerin’s excitement rubbed off on her. She felt like her friends would get along well with her.

 

Yerin waved at her as SinB turned around to get back on the road, finally shutting her window and the blue light disappearing. 

 

Her parents were going to scold her so badly for being late. SinB didn’t care.



 

“So?? How was she? She has to be pretty loaded if they moved into that house.”

“Eunha! Geez, you really have no filter sometimes. She’ll be here soon enough anyways, you’ll see.”

 

“You’re no fun.” Eunha glared, parking her bike and putting the lock around her and SinB’s bike. SinB had lost her lock a few months ago so Eunha was kind enough to help out. Not that many bikes got stolen around here, but she didn’t want to risk it.

 

SinB absolutely loved her bike. A chopper cobra, gifted to her by her dad just a week ago. It was a bit big for her but she made it work.

 

As SinB was admiring her bike for the nth time she heard a cheery voice greeting them, turning around to find Yerin with her bike next to her.

 

It was a very cute bike that somehow fit her perfectly, whereas SinB’s bike was the complete opposite with a black frame and flames all over. 

 

“Morning! Cycling around here is so nice, it’s the first time I didn’t need to fear being hit by a car every five seconds.”

 

“Has that happened before?” SinB joked, Eunha excitedly looking at Yerin who was putting her bike away.”

 

“Luckily, no. I generally try not to get hit by cars.” She had SinB’s type of humor, perfect. Yerin looked up after locking her bike, walking up to them.

 

“Yerin, was it? I’m Eunha! I love your bike, it’s the cutest.” Eunha was b with excitement, she was the one SinB wanted to warn Yerin about yesterday since there was no end to her questions once she started. So far she seemed to be holding herself back, SinB’s watchful eyes trained on her.

 

“Hey, nice to meet you!’ Yerin said, flashing a smile. “ And thank you. Though I’d prefer one like SinB’s, I doubt it suit me though.”

 

“You can take it for a spin if you want to later.” SinB said, wiggling her eyebrows. She really loved that thing too much. Eunha gasped.

 

“SinB offering the new girl to ride on her beloved bike? You’re a special one Yerin.” Yerin let out a loud laugh.

 

“I’m flattered, and I’d love to. Maybe we could ride back home after school ends.”

 

Eunha clapped her hands. “I love where this is going, I’ll tell the others to join too. Speaking about school - we’re 5 minutes late already.” This made the three of them exchange shocked looks before sprinting to class and laughing like madmen.

 

Arriving in class, all three of them panting, the teacher was obviously displeased. Using Yerin as an excuse for being late she let them off easily, luckily. This same teacher was the reason SinB had to stay in detention yesterday and couldn’t ride home with the others like they usually did, though it did give her the chance to meet Yerin first. She had to admit she felt pretty exclusive because of that.

 

Yerin was quite the model student, diligently taking notes during class. Though SinB noticed she never really looked up at the teacher or board, she was probably quite smart. Because of them being late to class the others hadn't had the chance to meet her yet, so once the bell rang and the students rushed out of class the other three were already awaiting them in the hallway.


 

“You two made a new friend and didn’t tell us about it? I feel betrayed.” The tallest one, Sowon, dramatically said.

 

“You guys should’ve seen the look on the teacher’s face when she was taking attendance and asked for a Jung Yerin. No one knew who she was so we all looked at her confused and she was so close to going insane, it was hilarious.” Umji noted, making the others crack up.

 

“Is that why she looked so pale when I came in?” Yerin asked in between laughs. “I do feel kind of bad for being late though, even after I was so worried about making a good first impression.”

 

“What are you talking about, everyone was stunned when you walked in! It’s been a while since someone new transferred here and you’re quite the looker aren’t you.” Yuju was smooth as always, even though she did it in the most platonical way possible. She coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter