Intro

Hunters

Ngl I have nothing really planned for this story so if there are any ideas or ships you want to see lmk.

 

This is just a quick intro for world building - each character will get their own chapter to introduce them and establish dynamics.

 

Intro

 

A full moon illuminated the night sky over the city of Seoul.

 

It was late and the streets were empty. Street lamps chased away most of the shadows but the houses and alleyways remained dark, hiding any number of ill intentioned beings. As the saying goes: darkness hides a multitude of sins. In this case, however, it’s more literal than metaphorical as suddenly the silence of the street was shattered by thunderous footsteps. It was loud and immediately disrupted the peaceful atmosphere that had previously settled around the area.

 

A beastial figure shot out of a dark alleyway. It stopped briefly once in front of the moon and let out a long howl before lumbering forward. Whatever was chasing it seemed nearly unable to keep up as a few moments later, two figures appeared. One was armed with a radio and the other with some kind of pistol. Both slid to a stop, panting, the one with the pistol raised it and fired in the direction of the beast - only the dart she had fired merely rebounded off of its muscle.

 

“.”

 

Both women were out of breath, they couldn’t keep up the pursuit. But luckily for them someone else was on their side. The beast, a bipedal wolf like creature, was fast - but someone else was faster. A third woman suddenly appeared in front of the beast and forced it to stop in its tracks. The beast let out a growl and swiped at her, the third woman dodging the claws with practiced ease.

 

She clicked her tongue, “Rude.”

 

The wolf howled and made to lunge at the woman, but she produced a syringe from her back pocket and used as much force as she was able to push it into the wolf’s neck. Once the drug was administered, howls became whimpers and the wolf fell to its knees with a whine.

 

“Sit!” The woman said, “There’s a good boy.”

 

She patted it on the head as though it were a dog and not a deadly werewolf.

 

“Really Sana?” The radio woman chuckled as the other two finally caught up, “It’s not some sort of pet.”

 

“Aww but he looks so cute!” Sana cooed, smushing the wolfs face, “Look at his little face, come on Jeongyeon - tell me he’s not adorable.”

 

Jeongyeon sent her a blank expression, “He’s not adorable.”

 

“You're heartless.”

 

“Says the vampire.”

 

“That’s speciesist.”

 

“For God–”

 

“You’re both giving me a headache.” The final woman snapped,

 

“Sorry Jihyo…”

 

Jihyo sighed and looked down at the fallen furball. This was going to be a bigger job than she thought. Full moons were never peaceful, even if the lycans kept themselves in check other monsters would take advantage of the night. You see, the full moon was not only the sign of lycans turning - it also put other mysterious entities at their most powerful. Take Sana for example; Sana was a vampire. Whilst this would normally grant her superior strength and speed, there was no way she would have been able to outrun and inject a sirum into a fully grown werewolf on a normal day. When in their beast form, lycans were brute strength and muscle. Not easily beaten hand to hand.

 

Luckily, Sana had the extra buff tonight allowing her to cut the wolf off before he could cause more carnage.

 

However, the rest of the team was not naive. Whilst Sana was on their side, most other monsters would not dare team up with hunters. In fact some would actively seek them out to cause harm. Sana was the only “monster” on their team, having been cursed with a soul by a vengeful witch. Now she helped hunters as some sort of liaison with the non-human underworld. Hunters never actively pursued peaceful creatures, ones who kept to themselves like satyrs and fey folk. Even vampires who didn’t kill more than required or werewolves who kept themselves contained during the full moon - they were not threats.

 

Hunter’s just had to maintain the status quo.

 

This was a quest Jihyo had trained for her whole life. Her parents had been some of the most prolific monster hunters in the world. Korea’s answer to the Warren’s - they had made names for themselves dealing with all things supernatural. Of course Jihyo had been raised to continue the family legacy, branching out to take charge of her own team. She was the pinnacle of what a hunter should be: brave, strong, fearless and never hesitated. Park Jihyo led with an iron fist and her team respected her for that.

 

“Jeongyeon,” Jihyo ordered, “Call Momo to bring the van round.”

 

“Gotcha!” Jeongyeon replied, jumping on the radio she held,

 

“Awww, cheer up Jihyo-yah!” Sana teased, “We caught him didn’t we?”

 

Jihyo huffed, “We shouldn’t have HAD to, they should keep themselves caged up when the moon is full.”

 

“Everyone makes mistakes.”

 

Jihyo hummed noncommittally. Thankfully, the lights of a black van lit up the street and Momo arrived. The door on the side of the van slid open and another girl hopped out.

 

“Mina?” Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow, “I thought you were off tonight, Nayeon said it was date night.”

 

Nayeon was Jeongyeon’s best friend and the reason she got involved in all this. Jeongyeon didn’t really have anyone else and Nayeon had lost her parents young. The two had grown up in the same orphanage and had been inseparable since.

“I thought you might need some help getting him in the van. There will be more tonight.”

 

Mina was Nayeon’s girlfriend and a psychic. Not like one of those fakes on television getting information through an earpiece from producers, an actual psychic. Sometimes Mina would see exact situations, sometimes she would see abstract images that would make sense in time. This ability was apparently due to a cosmic event that had happened in Japan years prior. The other woman who was just getting out of the driver's seat was also a victim of this event and had nearly lost her life. Hirai Momo didn’t view her gift as something good or special, to her it was a curse.

 

Momo could commune with and see the dead.

 

Whilst Sana could liaise with monsters, Momo could speak to the departed and she hated it. People walking past her in the street sometimes thought she was crazy and talking to herself. She couldn’t always tell who was alive and who was dead. Plus not all ghosts were friendly and some even looked rather frightening. It was a lot, especially in the beginning and Momo refused to summon ghosts unless required. Over the years she had learned how to keep them from appearing to her unless she called for them. Though sometimes the fear of a ghost sneaking up on her when she was unprepared filled her with anxiety and so she would seek out one of the others to ensure she would not be alone.

 

“Right then,” Jihyo said, “Let’s get this one into the van and start rounding up the others I guess.”

 

“It’s going to be a long night, isn’t it?” Jeongyeon sighed,

 

“I’m afraid it looks like it.”

 

“I hate the full moon.”

 

_____

 

It wasn’t until sunrise that the team finally returned to their compound.

 

The werewolves collected throughout the night had been left knocked out in a local forest to change back peacefully. It had been a challenge, getting all the wolves contained, but it was over now and the team were able to slump into their unit. The compound was a large industrial area with multiple buildings, the unit was where all the girls lived when not on mission. There was a communal living room, kitchen and dining area but each girl had her own bedroom. The bedrooms were huge, more than enough space to have their beds and whatever else they wished.

 

However as they walked through the door, Momo and Jeongyeon went straight to collapse on the couch. Exhausted. Nayeon, who had been sat in the armchair, chuckled at the sight of them.

 

“Busy night?”

 

“Too busy.” Was Momo’s muffled reply,

 

Nayeon giggled again and then smiled up at Mina who had walked over, “Hey, I missed you tonight.”

 

Mina leant down to peck her lips softly, “I promise to make it up to you.”

 

“Hmm, I’ll hold you to that.”

 

Jeongyeon made a retching noise and Nayeon turned to glare at her. She always knew how to ruin the moment.

 

Mina suddenly froze for a moment and spun towards the stairs, “Sana! Don’t you dare!”

 

All heads snapped to Sana, who was currently climbing the staircase. She awkwardly chuckled and tried to appear innocent. Well…as innocent as a vampire could.

 

“Dare what?” She asked, voice sickly sweet,

 

“You know what.” Mina replied bluntly,

 

“Sana, what are you doing?” Jihyo sounded exhausted,

 

“Nothing…”

 

“She’s going to wake Tzuyu up.”

 

Sana dropped the act and huffed, “What? I’m hungry!”

 

Tzuyu was the youngest member of the team and she had a complicated history. Initially she had just been a college friend of Chaeyoung, one of the other members of the group, but unfortunately got wrapped up in the monster hunting world by accident. The full story is for another time but an unfortunate side effect of what happened to Tzuyu was that no matter what she went through, she would never stay dead. The word immortal wasn’t quite right because she could die, she just wouldn’t stay dead. It wasn’t the only side effect of what happened but again - a story for another time.

 

Long story short, her newfound not-quite-immortality meant that Sana could feed from her with little repercussions. She would try not to take enough blood to cause Tzuyu to die, but even if she did it wouldn’t be permanent. Win-win, right? Well not right, because everyone else in the group felt a great deal of guilt over what had happened and now they were all incredibly over protective of the girl. They didn’t like Sana feeding off her, even if Tzuyu didn’t complain.

 

Chaeyoung especially would get angry. Chaeyoung was an expert in demons, spells and rituals - usually put in charge of research. She and Dahyun often worked together to find whatever evil entity the group were up against. The trio (Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu) were the ones who would stay behind in home base during missions. The three of them weren’t much in a fight but each had their own specialisms that made them invaluable to the team.

 

Dahyun had grown up in a particularly conservative church, one that still performed exorcisms. She had watched her first one aged seven and had seen what demonic possession could do to a person.

 

Chaeyoung had always had a fascination with the occult and dabbled in witchcraft.

 

And Tzuyu…was Tzuyu.

 

“Look, it’s either I drink from Tzuyu or I go out hunting.” Sana declared, “What would you guys prefer?”

 

Silence.

 

Jihyo hated the idea more than she would ever say out loud, but ultimately knew Sana was right. Especially with the sun coming up, it was easier to have a not–starving vampire on their team. Last thing they needed after last night was to restrain a hungry vampire to stop her ripping their throats out.

 

“Fine.” She grunted, “But no more than necessary.”

 

Sana grinned and held up her hands, “No more than necessary - I promise!”

 

And that was the end of the conversation before everyone decided it was time for bed. After all, who knows what tonight would bring?