Chapter 12

Watch The Queen Conquer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week later they were both climbing into the back of a car, on their way to the Guard Tower near the centre of the city, so that Chaeyoung could review the Royal Guard. It was an annual event, but she still felt a little nervous as she thought about the spectators watching, afraid that the dress would be too tight around her stomach, and worried about riding her horse. She knew she was just being paranoid, and it would be over within half an hour, leaving her free to meet a few dignitaries before retiring to the lawn in the middle of the tower courtyard for some tea with her guests. It was the same every year, and she couldn’t help but envy Joohyun, sitting primly on the leather seats in her sapphire coloured dress, the prospect of the event already boring her before they’d even left Sunstone Palace. There were some days when Chaeyoung found the whole Queen business tedious, but there were so many traditions that she knew she couldn’t let fall to the side, so she put up with them anyway.

 

With her stomach nervously fluttering, Chaeyoung relaxed in her seat, watching as they passed through the gates and started driving through the city, the elegant architecture of the old buildings near the palace giving way to high-end fashion designers and expensive jewelry shops, the best restaurants Avalon had to offer, and a few of the classier bars. Then they were on the other side of it all, and an old stone tower, made from the same creamy stone as the palace, rose up amongst the office skyscrapers. They were driven through the crowd of citizens that had come to catch a glimpse, passing beneath the raised portcullis and stone archway into the cobbled courtyard of the tower.

 

Stepping out of the car as the door was opened for her, Chaeyoung breathed in the fresh air, the smell of impending rain carried on the wind, along with the smell of oil and horses. The sky was white, and the wind ruffled her hair and tugged at her clothes, but it was a mild day, and she could see the pavillion already set up in the distance, small tables and chairs neatly arranged around chaise lounges, while palace staff made miniscule adjustments. Everything seemed to be in order, and Chaeyoung strode towards the door she always used for her visits, nodding to the members of the Royal Guard as she passed them by, taking in the red, blue and gold of their perfectly tailored uniforms.

 

Stepping into the cool interior of the old stone building, her heels clicked on the ceramic tiles as she walked towards a pair of double wooden doors, which were pulled open for her, with Joohyun following behind, her hand in Chaeyoung’s. Sooyoung and Yerim were already inside, setting everything up for her, and Chaeyoung gave them both a warm smile as they dipped into polite curtsies. Guiding Joohyun over to a stuffed sofa, she gave her a quick peck on the cheek and let her wife make herself comfortable, and Joohyun quickly grew bored.

 

The ceremonial dress that Chaeyoung wore every year was on a mannequin, the fitted bodice hugging the torso of the dummy, while the full, heavy skirts flared out to the floor. It was wrought in the colours of Avalon, predominantly blue, but with panels of red and yellow and golden embroidery in the shapes of national flowers and animals, and Chaeyoung gave it a brooding look, wondering if she’d fit in it properly, or if it would be a bit snug this year. With a sigh, she kicked off her heels and let Yerim take her coat and the plain yellow dress she’d worn to the tower.

 

“You’ll be careful, won’t you?” Joohyun asked from the sofa, as Chaeyoung stepped up onto a small pedestal in her underwear and stockings, her arms outstretched as she waited for her assistants to dress her.

 

“Hm?”

 

The sound of Joohyun shifting on the sofa reached her ears, and Chaeyoung looked at her reflection in the tri-panelled mirrors, giving her a good view of herself and the dark haired head poking over the curved back of the sofa. Joohyun had a sombre look on her face, the colour of her green eyes slightly washed out by the richness of the blue dress and small fascinator pinned in her hair, but no less beautiful, even if they were swimming with concern.

 

“On the horse,” Joohyun said, “you’ll be careful.”

 

Turning as she balanced herself on Yerim’s shoulder, raising one foot as both women helped her step into the first petticoat, Chaeyoung gave Joohyun a confused look. “Of course I will. What do you mean?”

 

Sighing, Joohyun pushed herself to her feet and walked over to Chaeyoung, her face pale in the mirrors as she came up behind her, and then rounded the pedestal and assistants, coming to a stop in front of her. Chaeyoung was usually a few inches taller than her, but on the pedestal she practically dwarfed Joohyun, giving her a soft smile as she reached out to cup her face in her hands. “What’s bothering you?”

 

Rolling her eyes, Joohyun took a step back as she watched the few layers of tulle be pulled up to Chaeyoung’s waist and fastened at the back. “I just- I know I’m not a serious person, or one to worry, and I know I can be …”

 

“Dismissive?” Chaeyoung supplied, arching an eyebrow in faint amusement.

 

“Yes,” Joohyun sighed, “dismissive, sure. But … please be careful. I know that you are pregnant, so it doesn’t matter now, but I know how hard it was and … I don’t want anything to happen to you or the baby, okay? Don’t overexert yourself just to keep our secret under wraps.”

 

“Joohyun, I’m going to be sitting on a horse,” Chaeyoung calmly replied.

 

Huffing, Joohyun gave her a stern look, “that’s not the point I’m trying to make, Chaeyoung.”

 

With a small smile curling her lips, Chaeyoung bent nearly in half and pressed a quick kiss to Joohyun’s lips, her fingers gentle as she cradles her face in her hands. “I’m going to be fine. You can even tie me to my horse if you’d like, so I can’t fall off.”

 

Smiling, Joohyun tilted her head to the side as she stared up at her, “that might make me feel better.”

 

“I don’t like it when you worry,” Chaeyoung sighed.

 

“Would you prefer it if I made a few snarky comments?” Joohyun laughed, and Chaeyoung gave her an exasperated look as she bent over and raised her arms, letting a corset and the attached petticoat be slipped over her head. Poking her arms through, Chaeyoung straightened up and let Yerim straighten out the skirts, while Sooyoung walked around her and began to lace up the back of the corset. “Careful, Sooyoung. Don’t do it too tight, or my baby will be coming out with a dented head.”

 

Chaeyoung let out a withering sigh while Joohyun laughed, walking back over to the sofa and sitting back down, while Chaeyoung let herself be laced in as tightly as she could stand it. Afterwards came the heavy gown that almost made her feel like she was being dragged down towards the ground. The full skirt flared out from her small waist, and she let out a sigh of relief at the fact that she fit in it with only mild discomfort - nothing unbearable - and without showing. Her hair had already been elaborately braided at the palace to save time, and she let a small golden crown encircle her brow, while a variety of golden rings signifying different things were slipped onto the appropriate fingers. Usually she only wore her engagement, wedding and family ring, but the occasion called for something more appropriate. The last touches were a pair of small black riding boots and a white silk sash with her medals and awards pinned to it. Joohyun was brought her own, as well as a small tiara, and once they were both ready, they made a striking pair in their deep blue dresses and finery.

 

With a quick kiss, Joohyun left her to go and stand with the other dignitaries, and Chaeyoung felt reassured knowing that Jennie and Taehee would be there with her, but she just hoped that Joohyun wouldn’t pick a fight with Hasun, who would be standing with them as well, as part of Chaeyoung’s family. Pushing her family affairs to the side, Chaeyoung strode through a side door, walking down a narrow hallway as her skirts were carried after her by her assistants, while Goeun trailed after them. It almost seemed redundant to have a bodyguard at the Guard Tower, but Chaeyoung knew better than to argue the matter, especially under her new circumstances. If she wasn’t doing it for herself, she would do it for her heir.

 

Following the familiar path, she found herself in the antechamber of the stables, the soft whickering of horses reaching her ears, along with the strong smell of horses, hay and leather. Saddles were neatly displayed along one wall, all expensive and for ceremonial purposes, and she found the empty space where hers had been taken off and saddled on the horse she’d be using for the ceremony. Waiting patiently in the tidy room, listening to the hum of voices coming in from outside, Chaeyoung fought back a wave of nausea, and the thought of her morning sickness getting the better of her in front of the crowd made her stomach spasm with panic. She stamped down her fears as the back door opened and a guard bowed, stepping aside to let her exit.

 

A beautiful chestnut mare had been saddled for her, golden bells jingling from the black and red bridle and the matching saddle, wrought with gold leaf and fine stitching in elaborate patterns. A small set of steps had been arranged next the horse, and Chaeyoung was helped up onto the horse with some difficulty, until she was sitting aside the horse in a demure side saddle position, both legs gracefully falling down the left side of her horse. A golden sceptre was handed to her, which Chaeyoung gripped tightly in her gloved hands as she took hold of the reins as well, and with the blue skirts fanning out across the flank of the horse, she was ready.

 

Everyone except Goeun was dismissed, and her bodyguard looked serious in her sleek black suit, standing close to the horse’s head as Chaeyoung urged it into a gentle walk, the steady clopping of hooves on the cobblestones echoing in the small courtyard behind the stables as she lurched into motion. She knew it was a mistake the moment she got going, with the bumping motion making her feel nauseous, and before they’d even turned the corner, she’d vomited over the side of the horse, taking her and the other woman by surprise, but with nothing else to do, Chaeyoung had kept going. Luckily, she hadn’t gotten it on her dress of the horse, but the taste of bile coated her tongue, and she felt a little hot in her snug dress. Letting out a shaky breath, she arranged her face in a blank mask as they rounded the corner and came to an archway.

 

A man in full uniform announced her with all of her names and titles, and Chaeyoung felt herself sweating beneath all of her layers, suddenly wishing that the day had been even colder. She felt a little shaky, and if she didn’t know any better she would’ve discounted it as nerves, and she was just hoping that no one else could see that she was feeling unwell beneath the layers of makeup and finery. As soon as the man finished speaking, she urged her horse onwards, exiting the archway and clopping along the cobblestoned courtyard as she made her way towards the next lines of guards. It was only a fraction of them, standing perfectly straight with their ceremonial swords glinting in the weak sunlight, their rifles cradled in the crook of their elbows as they stared blankly ahead. She passed down the middle of them, taking her time as she passed by dozens of men and women, nodding her head with a serious look on her face as she listened to murmured conversation overshadowed by the sound of the few guards keeping up a steady drumbeat, cameras clicking and flashing from the group of gathered photographers and reporters, while the rest of her guests were all standing behind the ranks of guards.

 

The procession was over a few minutes later and the guards all filed away in a synchronised march, heading back towards the barracks and their posts. Chaeyoung was led back towards the stables and helped down off her horse, feeling weak with relief and a little claustrophobic in the thick layers of heavy material. Sooyoung and Yerim were waiting for her and picked up the skirts of her dress as Chaeyoung strode back through the hallways, finding herself back in the room she’d gotten ready in. She was quickly undressed and relaxed in relief at the freedom from the tight corset and heavy dress, putting her yellow dress and matching coat back on and making her way back out through the main door.

 

Everyone had moved onto the green in the middle of the courtyard, milling about and chatting as they waited for Chaeyoung to reemerge. No one had taken a seat yet, waiting for her to arrive, and there were shallow bows and curtsies thrown her way as she crossed the uneven grass, a polite smile gracing her lips. She went straight to Joohyun, dropping a gentle kiss onto her wife’s cheek as she tried to ignore the camera flashes out of the corner of her eye, and drew in a deep breath as she readied herself for the endless conversation she was about to undertake with everyone present as she made the rounds.

 

“Hm, and you were always the patient one,” Joohyun murmured at the weary look on Chaeyoung’s face, a wry smile curling one side of as she accepted a flute of champagne off a waiter, picking one up for Chaeyoung as well. Hesitating slightly, Chaeyoung gave her a slight frown as she took the glass off her, knowing that they couldn’t drink it, and Joohyun clinked their glasses together with an amused look in her eyes. “Well we can’t refuse it. We’ll have rumours circulating within the hour.”

 

With an exasperated look, Chaeyoung nodded, turning at the sound of approaching voices and smiling brightly at her sister. Jennie fell into conversation with Joohyun a few moments later as Chaeyoung greeted Taehee and Hasun. She spoke with them for a few minutes,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter