Minutes

Time With You

Fourth Year

 

 

 

To celebrate their first anniversary, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon agreed to stay at Hogwarts during the Christmas holidays instead of going home as usual. They walked around the school hand in hand, exploring the vast castle that was quiet for once. They had a snow fight at the training ground that ended with them falling and kissing on the snowy ground. They snuck out of the dormitory at night to stargaze and almost got caught by Argus Filch. They snuggled in the library and fell asleep while reading the History of Hogwarts. They took turns visiting each other's common room and sat together in front of a fireplace, fingers brushing and foreheads pressing. They took food and drinks from the kitchen and had a picnic by the Loch Lake, before enjoying ice-skating after the meal. They also played hide and seek with the entire castle as a playground. Whoever caught the other faster got a kiss, though they just abandoned the game altogether after the first round and went straight to the kiss that led them to the Slytherin common room; which, at the end of the day, led them to Kyuhyun's bed chamber. With his roommates away, Kyuhyun asked the Hufflepuff boy to stay with him and they spent their first night…

.

.

.

Kyuhyun woke up to his boyfriend already waking up and staring at him quietly while rubbing his philtrum. He smirked and pinched the chubby cheek. He was glad that the Hufflepuff boy's cheeks stayed the same despite his weight loss.

 

"What are you looking at? Never seen a handsome guy before?"

"Of course, that's the first thing of the day you said."

 

Jongwoon rolled his eyes but he was laughing. Kyuhyun grabbed the smaller hand, kissed the short fingers, and played with them while the other boy was spacing out. After a short period of peaceful silence, just them relishing in the blissful moment, he started a conversation.

 

"Jongwoon?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you want to fly on the broom with me?"

"You know that I'm afraid of heights, right?"

"I know. I also know that you like the sky and clouds. It'll be different this time because I'm with you. I'll keep you safe in my arms while showing you the unparalleled picturesque Hogwarts under the snow. Do you want to?"

"Sigh, okay, because I love you…"

"Yeah, I love myself too. I mean, who wouldn't love me?"

"Kyuhyun! You and your Slytherin's huge ego.."

 

The Hufflepuff boy said in mock exasperation and slapped his chest. Something incredible came to his mind. Kyuhyun smirked and grasped the hand placed on his chest, before guiding it down below and whispering in a low voice…

 

"Still not as huge as my Basilisk~"

"...You're ing unbelievable. I won't talk to you anymore!"

.

.

.

.

"Relax, Jongwoon, I won't let you fall."

 

 

Kyuhyun comforted his boyfriend who sat still on the broom like a stone statue. To help the Hufflepuff boy get used to the height, he slowly ascended to the sky and occasionally stopped. Sitting in front of him in his arms, Jongwoon's body stiffened and his small hands were pale from grasping the broom too hard. He shifted closer to the trembling back and tightened the hug to secure the boy. The smaller boy gradually relaxed and glanced over the shoulder to look at him.

 

"Kyuhyun, you're lying."

"Lying? Me?"

"Yes, you said you won't let me fall but,"

 

Jongwoon suddenly pecked the corner of his lips.

 

"But I already fell for you."

"You're cheating! I can't kiss you properly because I have to control the broomstick…"

 

Kyuhyun pouted and sighed. At the same time, he made a mental note that he will kiss the life out of his boyfriend as soon as they land. But right now, they had a flying date to do. He held the broomstick up and controlled it to soar higher into the sky. Not long after that, they were flying above the Hogwarts castle that was covered under white snow. Jongwoon let out an impressed gasp as he took in the breathtaking scenery. Seeing his boyfriend's smile made him feel contented and overjoyed. Controlling the broom to stay in place, he put his chin on the slim shoulder and smiled too.

 

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yes! I've always thought that Hogwarts is very beautiful in winter and seeing it from above just confirmed it. Not just the castle, but the frozen lake and the Forbidden Forest are also beautiful too!"

"I'm talking about you, Jongwoon."

 

Kyuhyun chuckled watching the Muggle-born boy slowly turn red, contrasting to the snow. The flustered Hufflepuff boy glared at him but he was also biting his lip to not smile. In the end, Jongwoon let out a puff of annoyed breath but smiled in joy afterward. The boy shook his head in fond disbelief.

 

"Are you really the same person who called me 'Fatty' just a few years ago?"

"Just so you know, I might call you that but I actually liked you."

"I know. You shoved your love in my face every day through your actions. That's why I never got angry at you for calling me that."

 

Both of them laughed as they recalled their times during the first year and second year. After that, Kyuhyun flew the Firebolt one lap around the school ground, enjoying the picturesque view with his boyfriend, and carefully landed on the training ground. The Hufflepuff boy hurriedly got off the broom and lay down on the snowy ground, murmuring that the view was beautiful but he still preferred staying on the ground to flying. Rolling his eyes, he lightly kicked the flat bottom and rolled the boy over to face him, before extending his hand toward his boyfriend.

 

"You keep saying that you hate flying. Your handsome boyfriend who's a future national Seeker is hurt, you know?"

"Hm, I can't help it. It's not like falling in love with you will magically cure my acrophobia. But…"

 

Instead of getting up, Jongwoon tugged his hand and pulled him down to the snowy ground together. He almost flattened the Hufflepuff boy but stopped the fall with his palms and knees just in time. He glared at his beloved boyfriend who had the nerve to giggle adorably but decided to let the matter go with a resigned sigh. He caressed the chubby cheek and raised a brow, prompting the boy to continue.

 

"But?"

"But I can tolerate it because I have you by my side, Kyuhyun."

 

The Hufflepuff boy smiled and put his arms around his neck.

 

"Then, don't leave my side, Jongwoon."

"Never…"

 

With his head lowered and his eyelids shut, Kyuhyun kissed the smaller boy beneath him.

 

*************************************

 

Fifth Year

 

 

 

"A thunderstorm will hit Hogwarts throughout the afternoon… Yet the match will still continue?"

"Yes. It won't be the first time a quidditch match is held despite bad weather."

"But…"

"I know you're worried about me, Woon-ah, but trust me. Your handsome boyfriend will snatch the victory while staying perfectly safe!"

 

 

Kyuhyun stared at the dark-grey sky outside the player tent while recalling a conversation with his boyfriend. He knew that Jongwoon was worried about him but he wouldn't chicken out just because of a storm, especially if he planned to be a professional quidditch player after graduating. Plus…

 

"Captain, the match will start soon."

"Alright, everyone, we'll play as planned but don't forget to put the weather into consideration too. Improvise if needed. Let's go get the first place!"

 

Plus, he had to lead the team as the captain so he would never step down. Straddling the Firebolt, he took a deep breath and meditated, before flying off at the sound of the whistle.

 

 

The match had begun.

.

.

.

.

Despite the goggles, Kyuhyun still couldn't see anything farther than two meters ahead of him. The storm was raging with heavy rainfall and occasional thunder, yet the match to decide the first place between Gryffindor and Slytherin was still ongoing. Right now, the score was 120 - 110 with them in the lead. However, it wasn't a big lead and he knew his team's weakness more than anyone— a prolonged match. Their team was excellent with a fast-paced game but lost focus if the match dragged on. He made a quick calculation. About forty-five minutes had passed since the game started. If he didn't capture the Golden Snitch soon, it could lead to their defeat. However, the elusive flying ball had become a phantom in this weather— no one had seen it yet, not him, not the opponent's Seeker.

 

"Score! Lee Hyukjae from Gryffindor just beautifully threw the Quaffle in a goal and caught up with Slytherin! The score is now even at 120 - 120!! Who'll come out as the winner in this evenly-matched game!!?"

 

Park Jungsu, the seventh-year student from Gryffindor and the commentator, updated the situation excitedly. Kyuhyun frowned. He must catch the Golden Snitch. Now.

 

"Hey, Two-faced, it seems like your Keeper has given up already! C'mon, admit your defeat so we all can go back and enjoy the fireplace!"

 

The Gryffindor Seeker stopped their broom not far from him to taunt. Two-faced. That was a nickname he got after the entire Hogwarts knew about his and Jongwoon's relationship. It referred to him who became an entirely different person when he was with his boyfriend. Kyuhyun snickered. He was about to unleash his poisonous and sharp tongue but stopped when he noticed a minuscule movement next to the other Seeker's head— the Golden Snitch. Without hesitation, he directed the Firebolt and chased after the nimble flying ball.

 

"Oh my God!!! The Slytherin captain, Cho Kyuhyun, finally made his first move! He's chasing the Golden Snitch and he has a big lead ahead of Steven Cromwell! Are we finally going to leave the rain soon? The match's destiny relies on the result of this battle!"

 

Kyuhyun flew the broom after the Golden Snitch with the opponent's Seeker not far behind him. His eyes never left the golden ball as he shortened the distance between them. However, the flying ball suddenly soared higher up and disappeared into the storm clouds. He headed up among the grey clouds and almost got struck by thunder. Narrowly avoiding it, he cursed after realizing that the Golden Snitch was only a leap away from his grasp. Pursing his lips, he decided to take a risk and freed one hand from the broom, leaning forward to catch the ball. Almost there! He gritted his teeth and leaned further forward… Got it!

 

 

His hand slipped and he fell off the broom.

 

 

Kyuhyun cursed loudly as he tried to grab his broomstick, but the task was near impossible when he was somersaulting in the air. While he was free-falling, a strong gust of wind blew a random object into his face and he lost consciousness mid-air…

.

.

.

.

.

"Urgh… my face…"

"Kyu!!! How are you feeling? Are you hurt anywhere!!?"

 

Kyuhyun felt the pain reduce a lot after he heard his boyfriend's voice. With the boy's help, he sat up and drank a glass of water. Feeling better, he inquired about the situation while holding the cute small hand.

 

"Woon-ah, what happened after I fainted?"

"Headmistress McGonagall saved you and your teammates carried you here, but you caught the Golden Snitch so Slytherin won the first place."

"Awesome! I got first place~ Woon-ah, won't you give me a kiss?"

 

He waited impatiently but only got unnerving silence as the answer. Then, he noticed that the black-haired boy's expression didn't look good and recalled their promise, which he broke… He lifted the smaller hand and kissed it before apologizing.

 

"Woon-ah, I'm sorry… I promised to stay safe but I couldn't keep it. Sorry for making you worried about me…"

"Kyu,"

"Yes?"

 

Jongwoon slowly pulled his hand away, causing his heart to drop.

 

"Let's break up."

"What…? Break up?"

 

Kyuhyun thought his boyfriend was joking but the Hufflepuff boy looked deadly serious. He tried to hold the precious hand again but the other boy dodged his hand. Despite panic creeping up his spine, he tried to stay calm and changed his boyfriend's mind.

 

"Woon-ah, I know I was wrong for breaking our promise and making you worried, I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Don't break up with me."

"This isn't your fault, Kyu, but mine…"

"What? How…?"

"...When you flew up into the clouds, I couldn't look at you because I got scared. Then, I heard people screaming and shouting that you fell off the broom, but I still couldn't look at you. Even when the Headmistress saved you and you were taken to the Hospital Wing, I-I kept looking at the ground like a coward. I knew it's not about me but you, b-but I couldn't shake off what happened that day out of my head. I-I couldn't even do something simple like getting up and checking up on you. While I was paralyzed in the seat, I could feel it, t-the people's gaze, judging me, accusing me, 'why don't you go to his side?', they questioned. I-I didn't have to hear it to know what everyone was thinking— your teammates, the opponent team, my friends, everyone. I also asked myself that question. Why? And the answer immediately came to me…"

 

A single teardrop fell from the boy's saddened eyes.

 

"I-I don't deserve you, Kyu. I'm a horrible boyfriend who can't even look at his lover when he's in danger and be by his side when he needs m-me the most. Kyu, you're an amazing person so you deserve someone equally good. You deserve someone who can proudly look up at you in the sky, not a coward like me whose head will forever be lowered…"

"No, I object to it. I only want you, Woon-ah. Please, you're anxious now and you're not making any sense!"

"No! You're the one who needs to use your head instead of your heart for once! You might say that you're okay with it now. But what about the future? You're going to be a professional Seeker. Don't you think it's ridiculous that your boyfriend is afraid of heights? What would other people think!!?"

" other people!! This is about us, not them!"

"No, I won't let anyone ridicule you!"

"Goddamn it Jongwoon!! Why are you worrying about things that haven't happened yet!!?"

"Because it's in my nature to worry about things, especially about you!! You already knew that when you asked me out but now you're pretending to not know my heart!!?"

"I don't ing care!! Jongwoon, leave now and get some rest. You definitely need it. I'm not breaking up with you, not now, never—"

"Stupefy."

 

Kyuhyun saw the spell coming but he was too slow from exhaustion to block it. The stunning spell hit him and his body fell onto the bed like a log. He got mad seeing more tears falling from the Hufflepuff boy's dark eyes but more so at himself for being unable to shed them. Sniffling softly, Jongwoon caressed his stiffened face and kissed him. Although his boyfriend's lips were sweet, the kiss was salty due to the boy's tears.

 

"I love you, Kyuhyun, but let's not meet again."

 

The Hufflepuff boy kissed him again before running out of the ward, leaving him heartbroken and paralyzed. Although the injuries on his body were already treated, the tremendous pain in his heart was still there and seemed to be getting worse…

 

 

And the only person who could cure it had already run out of his life.

 

***************************************

 

Sixth Year

 

 

 

It had been almost a year now since Jongwoon declared a breakup, though Kyuhyun wouldn't have any of it. He pursued the Hufflepuff boy every day like when they weren't dating yet. The only difference between then and now was that his boyfriend actively ignored him. If he went to the Great Hall and sat down at Jongwoon's table, his boyfriend would leave immediately whether he had already eaten or not. After a while, he noticed that his boyfriend barely got to eat so he hopelessly stopped chasing his man during meals. If he waited in the hallway between switching classes, Jongwoon would become noticeably stressed and bite his nails later when he was out of his sight. So, he had no choice but to stop showing up at his boyfriend's class and secretly passed on bandages to the boy's friends. No one knew why they broke up. At first, rumors had it that he broke up with the Muggle-born student due to his negligence in that incident. However, after everyone witnessed him relentlessly chasing after the Hufflepuff boy, a new rumor began to circulate at Hogwarts.

 

 

Jongwoon cheated on him.

 

 

Kyuhyun almost cast Crucio at random junior students who gossiped about it and he happened to pass by. Cheating? His boyfriend might be stubborn and stupid, but he wasn't a dishonest man. Plus, he could tell from those eyes that Jongwoon still loved him dearly. It was just that, apart from love, fear and self-hatred were also apparent in those eyes. Jongwoon still believed that he didn't deserve to be with him… The reason why the ridiculous rumor was spared was the sudden closeness between his boyfriend and the captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team, Choi Siwon. That guy was like a walking textbook of a perfect gentleman— good-looking, kind and caring, sincere, good at study, good at sports, literally good at anything. He knew that people spoke behind him, how he stupidly chased after a cheating mud blood. He ignored them even though it angered him to no end. One, he hated it when strangers accused his boyfriend and threw bad names around. Two, he hated it when some fools believed that they had a chance with him, even though he only had his eyes for Jongwoon…

.

.

.

.

"Senior Kyuhyun, won't you go out with me?"

"..."

"Please, I promise that I won't cheat on you like that dirty mud blood—"

 

Bang!

 

Kyuhyun slammed the bottle of Firewhisky on the table and glared in annoyance at a girl who invited herself to sit with him. Right now, he was at the Three Broomsticks Inn during Hogsmeade weekend trips, trying to find peace by himself. Then, this girl came out of nowhere and sat down opposite him amidst his glare. He tried so hard to ignore her but the girl had to call his boyfriend that disgusting derogatory term! The shameless girl flinched at his anger but there was still stubbornness in her eyes. He sighed. Just as he was about to tell her to leave him alone, the door to the inn was opened and Jongwoon walked in with Choi Siwon. The Hufflepuff boy was smiling at something the taller man said but his smile froze after their eyes met. Jongwoon quickly turned around and left the inn. Kyuhyun bolted up and made to follow his boyfriend, but the annoying girl grabbed his arm first.

 

"Senior! Can't you see that Kim Jongwoon cheats on you!!? Why are you still chasing him?"

"... Which house are you from?"

"I-I'm in the fourth year, Ravenclaw! My name is—"

"If you're really a Ravenclaw, you should be smart enough to know that I only love Jongwoon."

 

He said coldly and snatched his arm out of the girl's hold, before running after the Hufflepuff boy. He spared a second to glare at Choi Siwon at the door and ran out into the snowy street. With his skills as a Seeker, he located his boyfriend's lonely back in no time and gave chase. They exited the busy street and entered a deserted path leading to a haunted house that no one dared to visit— the Shrieking Shack. Jongwoon stopped just in front of the fence but didn't turn around to face him. Kyuhyun carefully approached the Muggle-born boy and hugged him from behind, and sighed when his boyfriend didn't push him away. He tightened the hold and nuzzled against the soft dark hair that he missed so dearly.

 

"Woon-ah, I miss you…"

"..."

"Please, stop torturing yourself. I love you and you love me. Let other people say whatever they want. It won't change how much we love and care about each other."

"..."

"I'll always love you even if you don't want to ride a broom with me anymore. Will you come back to me?"

"... I'm sorry, Kyu, I can't do that, not the pathetic me right now…"

 

Kyuhyun sighed. No matter what he did or said, he couldn't change Jongwoon's opinion of himself… He made the smaller man turn around to see him and looked into a pair of black eyes that seemed to lose some light after that day.

 

"Then, I only have one question. Woon-ah, do you still love me?"

"..."

 

The Hufflepuff boy went quiet for a very long while, to the point that he thought he would never get any answers. However, Jongwoon suddenly threw himself at him and kissed him. Kyuhyun was stunned for a moment but quickly regained himself to return the kiss. He held the slim waist that got even slimmer after the fight and pushed the smaller boy against him as closely as possible. His other hand cradled the nape and thread his fingers into the silky hair. Their kiss was desperate and longing. Their tongues tangled and their teeth constantly brushed their lips, causing them to moan. However, Kyuhyun could feel through the kiss that it wasn't a reunion one. Rather, it felt more like a farewell…

 

"You want to know if I still love you or not, right, Kyu?"

 

Jongwoon said softly while caressing his face with his little thumbs.

 

"The answer is, always."

 

With that said, the Hufflepuff boy stepped back and left. Normally, he would have reached out and grabbed the small hand that he loved so much, but this time, he didn't even turn around to look. He listened to the sound of his boyfriend's footsteps getting farther away with a heavy heart. Just now, he saw it in Jongwoon's eyes, melancholy, so deep that it made him unable to breathe…

 

 

If being chased by him would only bring his boyfriend more pain, then he was willing to stop it, even though it hurt him so much that he could die.

 

 

That was how much he loved Jongwoon.

 

*****************************************************************

 

Author's note:

Mwahahahahahaha how do you like my angst-filled candy?  xD

Did you think that it'll be fluff all around? Sorry, but life has ups and downs and teenagers are bound to make mistakes, kyusung included  ;)

Tomorrow is the last chapter! Just in time to celebrate our Yesung's birthday. How will their story end? Stay tune~

Take care and love you  <3