CHAPTER ONE

Ambiguous (Jessica Jung x Kelly Yu / KelSic / Jelly)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn't have any beta reader or proof reader. Please have mercy.

 

 

Pointed stilettos tapped on the floor at a steady pace as this woman walked towards the receptionist of the building. As she approached the podium, the petite receptionist said, “Welcome to Zheng Entertainment. How can I help you?” 

 

Mandarin.

 

Of course.

 

It had only been a few days since she moved here so it still needed some getting used to. In an attempt to introduce herself, she forced a smile out and said, “I am Jessica. Zheng Xiu Yan.” She didn’t know a lot of words to even make a great introduction. She barely had time to pack her clothes when she was moved to this branch let alone learn a completely new language. She just knew she had to take this opportunity to be a new Talent Relations Director to show that she was capable of managing and could handle a big market like China. It didn’t matter to her if this was rushed as long as she could prove herself capable.

 

The receptionist bowed her head low. “Welcome.” and she continued talking but Jessica couldn’t follow. From what she understood - the words that she knew - it was a greeting.

 

Jessica tilted her head as she sighed. She was told someone would at least know how to speak English here to assist her but she didn’t know how to ask for one. “Sorry,” she said in Mandarin. “I don’t know how to speak Chinese.” She was about to grab her cellphone to get a translating app going. That might help her with her current predicament. 

 

Before she could even grab it she heard the girl say, “Oh!” The girl in front of Jessica looked apologetic. She then lifted her hand, showing her pointer finger as she rocked it up and down. “Excuse me. One… moment. Ok? Please. One… second. Here. Wait. Ok? Sorry. Ok?” The panic in the girl’s eyes was evident as there was no longer formality in the conversation. She was scratching her forehead, her short bangs were ruffled. “I… ugh… call. Help.” The receptionist was probably aware of who she was, but with their language barrier, Jessica understood that. 

 

“Don’t worry. It’s okay,” she said with a smile. She knew this would be difficult since she didn’t speak their local language. “Take your time.”

 

“Um, wait. Ok?” 

 

Jessica typed on her phone and translated her previous statement. The receptionist smiled at her and said with her thick accent, “Thank you very much.” She reached for the telephone and dialed something as she looked at Jessica with a smile on her face.

 

“I’ll just go there,” Jessica said in English as she pointed at herself and then the sitting area.

 

“Yes, yes,” the receptionist caught herself saying it in Mandarin. “Yes. Thank you,” she corrected herself.

 

A few minutes later, there was a woman with black hair pulled back into a bun walking towards Jessica. It didn’t take much for the woman to catch Jessica’s attention right away. That pure black suit that seemed perfectly tailored for the girl and that confident gait was just eye-catching that Jessica couldn’t help but stare. Her waist was hugged by black belts, complimenting her figure. She assumed she was one of the talents their agency managed. She might be the cool image type. It was a fitting image since the woman was striking. She truly looked good and cool and that confidence added to how striking she looked. Her image just drew attention.

 

It was her first day at the office and she was already assessing the people they managed. She had to. She needed to make sure she was familiar with all their talents. Since people were probably aware of her arrival today, some talents might want to make a good impression by greeting first.

 

Jessica was actually very pleased with this person. As she was walking towards her, the walk was consistent and she was aesthetically beautiful. Cool and stoic visuals, she thought. Maybe it was what was popular in China. 

 

The girl stopped in front of Jessica and bowed her head after she pinched her lips together, forcing a smile. “Welcome, Zheng Xiu Yan. I am Yu WenWen. I was told to welcome you here.” She was still talking but Jessica couldn’t catch any other words outside the basics.

 

Jessica could only understand her name and the simple greeting she provided. She pressed her lips together before speaking. “Ah,” she paused and thought to herself. She was the first talent to greet her so she wanted to make a good impression but she didn’t know how. She didn’t understand what the girl said. With her limited knowledge of the language, she can probably just say hello, thank you, sorry. The basics. But this person came out of their way to greet her. How could she compliment the woman in front of her? Jessica wanted to acknowledge the courage it took to say hello to their new director, but Jessica also wanted to make a good impression since this woman made a strong impression. She figured she might be a big celebrity here and wanted to make sure she could keep their talents satisfied as well. Usually when there were changes with management, talents tend to dislike it and may switch agencies. But alas, nothing she could say would make any sense.  “I’m sorry,” she paused. That was the limit of her Mandarin. She wouldn’t want to make a fool of herself to even try. “Do you speak English?”

 

“Oh, yes. Sorry. My name is Yu WenWen, but you can call me Kelly.”

 

“Yu WanWan?” Jessica tried to pronounce her name.

 

The stoic face was then washed over and replaced by a smile, almost as though holding herself from laughter. Jessica realized that the girl in front of her was truly stunning. She wondered if she was an actor or an artist since she could pass for either. She had the beauty of an actress, but also the charisma of a musician. She was pleased to know that they have such talent that could change their expression almost in an instant. It drew people in to look at that smile.

 

“No, Yu WenWen. Not Yu WanWan,” she said. As she was now composed, her face was expressionless again. “It might be easier to call me Kelly. My English… it’s limited but I’ll try.”

 

Jessica figured that this celebrity must be popular. The smiles were limited but she didn’t seem unpleasant. “Ah okay. No, you speak so well. Nice to meet you, Kelly, who isn’t Yu WanWan,” she tried to make the mood lighter to see if she could get a smile out of her. 

 

She succeeded. A faint smile appeared on Kelly’s face. “Follow me.” As they both walked towards the elevator, Kelly was explaining which floor they were going to and the location for each department.

 

To break the silence in the elevator, “So, how long have you been with the company?” Jessica asked.

 

“Over 7 years,” Kelly said after some thought.

 

“Wow. Thank you for trusting us,” Jessica slightly bowed. 

 

“No, it’s really the company who took care of me. I wouldn’t be in this position if it weren’t for the company and the people here. The Managing Director took care of me greatly.”

 

“Ning Jing, right?”

 

“Yes. She was the one who helped me here when I just started, she was my previous manager. She called me and told me to come greet you and help whenever I can. She said… she and your mother are friends.”

 

Jessica didn’t realize that Jing previously managed celebrities. She only knew 

Jing during her childhood vacation to China when Jing met up with her mom, conference calls and company meetings so it was possible she didn’t know. But for a celebrity to be thankful to a previous manager, she knew she had to work hard to gain their trust and contract renewals. Well, that was probably why she was promoted to become the Managing Director since she took care of the business and people.

 

They got off the floor and Kelly took Jessica to an office. “This will be your office. You might need to hire an assistant or two who can translate for you. That might be a great help for you.”

 

“Ah, yes. Thank you for taking me here.”

 

“I’ll be in my office,” Kelly said as she pointed at the office two doors down from Jessica’s. “Call me if you need me.” 

 

Office. Kelly would be in an office? “Wait, shouldn’t you go to your next project?”

 

She then proceeded to hand Jessica her business card after she wrote something down. “I wrote down my extension code. Sorry I only have a Chinese business card. But you can reach me there.” She then slightly scowled, confused. “But what do you mean? Go to my project?” 

 

“I don’t get why you have an office here. Aren’t you a celebrity?”

 

Laughter. The woman, who, for the majority of their conversation, didn’t have a lot of emotions showing on her face, started laughing wholeheartedly that it simply showed it in her eyes. “A celebrity?” More laughter erupted but Jessica couldn’t understand what was funny. Was there something wrong with what she said? “I’m sorry, but me?”

 

“Yes? Was I wrong?”

 

Kelly finally composed herself and stopped laughing,  the bright smile on her face was still eminent. She said something in Chinese in hopes that Jessica would understand, but the new director just looked at her blankly. “I’m,” she paused to think to herself and looking for the right word for her job title. She pointed at the business card in Jessica’s hand. “Assistant. Assistant…” She continued it in Chinese but she didn't understand. "Assistant but like you. Assistant… director?”

 

“Ah, executive assistant.”

 

*****

 

Kelly invited Jessica to have lunch together at a nearby restaurant since Jessica wanted to get to know the area as well and didn’t want the other employees from other floors to see her before the proper announcement of her position. 

 

“What’s on my schedule tomorrow?” Jessica asked Kelly.

 

“Um,” Kelly looked at Jessica in confusion. “Do you want me to find out for you?”

 

Jessica looked as confused. Shouldn’t Kelly already know? But then again, Jessica figured since she was new, Kelly probably didn’t have anything ready. “That would be great if you could. Whatever you think the prev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter