Chapter 4

Strung Apart by Fate

"It's Soobin isn't it?" Asked Jake as he and Beomgyu were in their room studying. "How'd you figure that one out?" Asked Beomgyu as he didn't look up from the textbook he was reading.

"Something about Soobin saying that you felt really familiar to him is all," hummed Jake as he looked at his laptop in deep thought. "Yes, it's Soobin," replied Beomgyu as he looked up at Jake.

"God, that makes so much sense," grumbled Jake. "Oh?" Asked Beomgyu. "Soobin's been feeling more sick lately," explained Jake. "Ever since you mentioned your soulmate thing and met Soobin he's been in and out of classes due to getting sick," he added.

"God I hope he doesn't," grumbled Beomgyu as he sighed. "Hey, Soobin's a fighter, don't worry," chimed in Jake. "He's not going to die that easily," he added.

"If it helps any, I'm rooting for you okay?" Asked Jake. "Thanks, I hope you find your soulmate too," Beomgyu replied with a nod. "Here's to hoping things work out," stated Jake. Beomgyu nodded.

 

~



"Ugh, again?" Groaned Soobin as he laid in his bed, his body aching all over from fighting a fever from the night before. Luckily the school and his job was aware of his heart condition, so he was excused from his classes and his shifts when he needed to be.

"Are you feeling off again?" Asked Taehyun as he peeked his head into the room. "Just slightly," grumbled Soobin. "I'll see how I feel this afternoon but I'm not going for morning classes," he explained. "Need me to bring you anything?" Asked Taehyun. "Tea from the cafe?" Asked Soobin. "It won't be 'til after my shift," explained Taehyun. "No problem," replied Soobin. "If I feel up to it I'll head down to the cafe to study," he explained.

"Where'd Kai go anyway?" Asked Soobin as he sat up. "He went to class early, his timer is going down again so he's hoping to catch his soulmate today," explained Taehyun. "Good luck to him then," sighed Soobin. "Mine's just asking for my death apparently," he grumbled.

"You know that yours doesn't wish that on you, you just ended up on the wrong side of the coin," explained Taehyun as he sighed, turning and leaving, closing the door behind him. Soobin flopped back down on his bed, mumbling to himself as he forced his body to relax so he could get through this span of sickness.

"Whoever you are just let me live damn it," grumbled Soobin as he closed his eyes to try and rest.

 

~



Beomgyu found himself walking with Jungwon and Jake to the cafeteria after their morning classes, Soobin's absence being felt in the group the entire morning. "What is this, day 3?" Asked Jungwon. "You know his bouts of sickness will last a while Jungwon, give him a break will you?" Asked Jake. "He didn't used to get this sick this often before," explained Jungwon.

Taehyun and Heeseung met them outside the cafeteria, being joined by Jay not too long afterwards. They got their food before going to sit down around a table to eat.

"How's Soobin?" Asked Beomgyu as he turned to Taehyun. "He's fine, at least for today," replied Taehyun as he nodded. "I think he'll be able to return to classes tomorrow," he added. "We'll see if we see him at the cafe today when we go in for our shifts," he explained.

Jay seemed to be nursing an injured wrist, keeping it close to his chest as he ate. "Is everything alright Jay?" Asked Jungwon as he turned to Jay. "I'm fine," explained Jay. "Just sprained my wrist earlier," he added. Heeseung perked up at that, turning to his roommate with concern.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Asked Heeseung. "I'm fine, I'm fine," reassured Jay. "I know I have a shift today, I should be good enough to come in," he added.

No one noticed the glances that Taehyun and Beomgyu gave each other, the both of them shaking their heads before they both got up, finished with their meals early. "I have a class to get to," explained Taehyun as he grabbed his empty tray. "I was going to explore campus a bit, I'll be around," explained Beomgyu as he took his tray of food and left with Taehyun.

 

~



"Jay's soulmate is very... Not in a good mood," remarked Beomgyu as he walked with Taehyun. "You noticed it too?" Asked Taehyun. "I was the one to bring it up to Heeseung," reminded Beomgyu. "I just hope that his soulmate gets out of whatever they're in, this is hurting Jay more than usual, especially when he has to feel what his soulmate is doing to himself," he added.

"How is Kai?" Asked Beomgyu as he turned to Taehyun. "He's surviving," sighed Taehyun. "He was annoyed that his soulmate seemed to be avoiding him again," he added. "Timer went down before going back up huh?" Asked Beomgyu. "Yep," replied Taehyun.

"I'm trying my best to not get closer to Soobin than I have to, but," sighed Beomgyu as he put his hands in his pockets. "Hey, I get it," replied Taehyun. "When you told me that you were his soulmate everything made sense," he explained. "At least you have a bit longer to be with him this life than before," he added. "True," hummed Beomgyu.

"I wonder how we're going to break his curse," hummed Beomgyu as he looked thoughtful. "Well, mine was simple," sighed Taehyun. "But I don't know how we're going to break yours," he added. "I can't just give up my heart for him, that'd just pass on the curse to him," hummed Beomgyu.

"We'll figure it out," reassured Taehyun. "If it comes down to it, well," he added. "I know, I know," sighed Beomgyu. "It's time I pass on, 4 lifetimes and I'm already done with this crap," he grumbled.

"You would rather have Soobin go through this?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to Beomgyu. "Four times," sighed Beomgyu. "Four god damn times," he emphasized. "I know you've only had to go through this once, but try 4, then you'd understand my pain," he explained.

"I'll see you at the cafe then?" Asked Taehyun as he reached his next class. "Yeah, whatever," grumbled Beomgyu as he nodded, watching as Taehyun entered the room. He then turned and walked away, heading towards his next class.

 

~



Soobin walked into the cafe, grinning when he was greeted by Jungwon, Jake and Sunghoon. "Hey, I see you're finally feeling well enough," greeted Sunghoon as Soobin walked up to the counter. "I'll be moving to morning shifts soon enough, you guys will definitely miss me," Soobin stated as he shrugged. "The usual please," he added. Sunghoon rung up the order and Soobin swiped his card before going to wait by the counter where the drinks were passed down. Jungwon got to making his drink, concentrating on what he was working on to make sure he made it right.

"I thought Jay was working today?" Asked Soobin as he noticed that Jay was absent. "Jay sprained his wrist," explained Jake as he shrugged his shoulders. "It's why Jungwon's not-soulmate-but-still-his-boyfriend boyfriend is here," he added. "Oi," Sunghoon sighed. "We're not even doing anything," he added.

"Is Jay okay?" Asked Soobin. "I don't know to be honest with you," replied Jungwon as he passed over the finished drink. "I hope he is, he's been getting more injuries here and there," he added. "Hm," hummed Soobin as he took his drink and went to sit down.

 

~



Jake: Soobin showed up!
I know you wanted an update, and he's here

Taehyun: Thanks for telling me, I swear Beomgyu needs to get a phone

Jake: He doesn't have one?

Taehyun: Nah, though I can see why
doesn't have a use for one
he does carry a tablet though, from what I've managed to see

Jake: An iPad maybe? we could add him to the group chat!

Taehyun: No, just a regular tablet. He has no use for a phone right now.


Jake sighed in frustration as he put his phone away, grumbling about people and no phones. Jungwon and Sunghoon snicker at him before Jake headed into the backroom to take a break and relax for a few minutes.