The Present

Stay (My Beauty)
Chapter Two - The Present

Group Chat: “Roselette’s Actives”

The Loud One (8:16 AM): Another voice project today! Wish me luck, everyone! Well, except Yujinggy. Still mad at you for eating the last of my cereal even after I CLEARLY told you the store wouldn’t have more in stock for a while! 

Leader (8:18 AM): Wish you luck? You don’t need luck because you’ll do amazing! We know you will! 

Me (8:18 AM): Good luck

The Loud One (8:20 AM): Thank you Sana! Ahn Yujingy, you! THIS IS THE SECOND TIME YOU’VE GONE AGAINST MY WISHES

The Second Sister (8:21 AM): I see you two are back at it. Haha. Have fun, Yuri! I’ll see you all when I get back from my Europe trip! 

The Loud One (8:21 AM): Thanks Chaeryeong. You too have fun and take lots of pictures for us (except Yujinggy) you hear? 

Me (8:23 AM): Europe trip? How come no one told me about it?

The Loud One (8:23 AM): Because if we did and if you could you would have eaten the tickets for her trip too! And largely because you’re not here!

Me (8:24 AM): Loud one, do you have a death wish? I told you that once I come back I would bring you the same cereal they have here. Quit complaining about it already! It’s been months!

The Loud One (8:25 AM): NEVERRR you little piggy! Yujinggy! 

Leader (8:26 AM): Alright you two, no more fighting. I have my photoshoot and soundtrack recording I have to get ready for so I’ll talk to you all later <3

The Second Sister (8:27 AM): Sorry Yujin, it was decided yesterday evening so I couldn’t text you after I told everyone in person. Basically, my aunty’s plans for this month fell through so she wanted me to go backpacking with her for two weeks. Since it’s resting period I agreed to go with her 

The Loud One (8:28 AM): Have fun leader! 

The Loud One (8:30 AM): Don’t mind Ahn Yujinggy, Chaeryeong. When are you and your aunty flying out? Maybe Yuna and I can come to send you and your aunty off <3 

Me (8:31 AM): Don’t mind me? See if you’d like it when I tell Yena not to mind you 

The Second Sister (8:31 AM): Our flight is at 4 pm but we’ll be at the airport around 12:30 after lunch

The Loud One (8:32 AM): You can try Ms. Piggy, but Yena only listens to me. She only loves me! 

Me (8:32 AM): That’s some pretty powerful wishful thinking you've got there Crybaby!

The Loud One (8:33 AM): I’m about to be late for my project! Bye! 

Me (8:34 AM): I hope they see that you have no real talent for voice-overs! 

The Too Pretty One (8:34 AM): We’ll be there, Chaeryeong :)

The Second Sister (8:35 AM): Yay. Bye Yuri! Do you want to have lunch with us, Yuna? 

The Too Pretty One (8:37 AM): I would but sorry I can’t. I have an appointment with one of our producers and lyricists at the company so I’ll have lunch there. And if we have to cut our work early, I’ll make sure Yuri and I see you and your aunty off :)

The Loud One (8:38 AM): Oh yeah Yuna! Tell Yujinggy what we found last night!

The Too Pretty One (8:39 AM): The poll, you mean? 

Me (8:39 AM): What did you guys find last night? And I thought you were late?

The Loud One (8:39 AM): Yeah that!

The Loud One (8:40 AM): I know I know. I’m leaving for real this time

The Second Sister (8:41 AM): Is it about the popularity poll? 

Me (8:42 AM): Popularity poll? 

The Too Pretty One (8:44 AM): Yuri and I were looking for potential comeback themes when we came across an hour-old poll. Over 6,000 of our fans voted to see who’s more popular in what countries

Me (8:45 AM): And? 

The Too Pretty One (8:49 AM): Leader Sana is more popular in Japan, America, and Mexico. Yuri is extremely popular in South Korea and Malaysia. Chaeryeong is popular in the UK and Australia, and Yujin, you’re the most popular member in Thailand

Yujin sighs. No surprises there but she was hoping for more. 

Me (8:52 AM): And you?

The Too Pretty One (8:54 AM): China and Taiwan

Yujin flips her phone face down on the ground next to her folded legs. Looking up she sees that Gaeul is almost done eating the overcooked omelet Yujin has made for her. “Uh…is it that good?” Yujin expected Gaeul to criticize her for burning beaten eggs at her age. 

“Mm. It’s edible. Don’t worry, I have a strong stomach.” 

Yujin winces and mumbles to herself, “I’ll take that as a compliment.” As she’s about to dig into her own nearly burnt omelet, she freezes at the sound of Gaeul’s chopsticks hitting the ceramic plate. “About the other night…I’m sorry. It’s just…I just…I thought…I thought that maybe…That you…”

Yujin’s heard enough of Gaeul struggling to explain herself. “Don’t. I know you’re not sorry for kissing me.” 

“I am, I am really sorry—” Gaeul nearly got up from her kneeling position when Yujin raised her voice. 

“I said don’t! You think I don’t know that you like me and that you’ve liked me since middle school? I purposely hid that I like girls from you because I wanted you to stay as my friend and nothing more! Since that night I’ve been thinking I could pretend it didn’t happen or try to see it as a friendly kiss but no matter how I look at it, I just couldn’t justify it. You knew about Wonyoung and know we’re still girlfriends.” Be it the room or her body temperature, Yujin only knows she’s feeling hot and stuffy. 

“Yujin, I, I’m sorry. I—”

“I’m gonna get some fresh air.” 

tvdLkqlOAPP6OeeJaRmc25TwKQ14uzn__u_0lGrfdMdfN918agco8rq-ZK-Y_kcShOzDFPXtg46VjXPVSeQ08pkaGcB9vEZV8H-g9rqRJn8BmM-ixZMFP1RxzLYXroGzp9TV-FXyc0eSQC8C1YPRb8Wn4rily6-I9zIXVOtBFukhO2E_eo3KDX2Dfw

Yujin thought the rooftop would cool her down but the warm sun had only made her hotter. In her pocket, she feels her phone buzzing. When she digs it out of her pants, she sees that it’s Yuri aka The Loud One calling. Sighing, Yujin answers it with no sense of urgency. 

“Hey, Yujin.” Yuri sings, “Quick question for you. In the 34 years that you have had on planet Earth, which year were you planning to grow up exactly? Because I think 34 is more than enough, at least for most people.” Immediately, Yuri’s jolly voice turns cold and irritated, “Alright you freaking wacko. Listen to me carefully because you’ve pushed just about all of my buttons! Stop being stubborn and hurry back already! Have your dumminess—foolishness eaten all of your brains? Did you forget that we have a pact? If one of us is missing, Roselette can’t have a comeback, you ert! Are you so loaded that you can just take half the year off and not lift a hand? I’m tired of your childishness, Ms. Piggy!”

Yujin was unsure of the exact octave Yuri’s voice hit when she subconsciously pulled the phone away from her ear for the sake of her eardrum, but as she returned it to the side of her head, she was sure she could hear Yuri’s furious breathing. 

“If this is about your cereal again—” 

“I didn’t use my precious lunch break to call you about cereal, you ert!” 

Yujin laughs, “Pipe down, Jo Yuri. I was just joking.” It would be a lie if Yujin said she didn’t miss Yuri’s harsh but reality-check honesty. “I promised Leader I would return and she’s given me her blessing to stay as long as I need so—” 

“And how long do you need exactly because I’ll have you know that I’m not as patient and understanding as Leader. If you don’t come back soon, I’ll take it upon myself to find us a better and more reliable drummer!” 

Yujin in her breath and jokes. “You know, I was thinking of coming back next week but now that I’ve heard what you had to say, I think I’ll stay another three months.” 

“Hey, Ahn Yujin!” 

“I know you’re not Leader, Jo Yuri, but you should also know that I’m not Choi Yena. I know that if I give you an inch, you’ll take a mile.” 

“Hey, you pathetic, good-for-nothing! If you don’t get your on a plane and fly back to Osaka by the end of the month, I will fly there myself and drag you back! Understand!?” 

“Baby! What’s going on—” 

Yujin hears Yena’s voice in the background just as the call cuts off. Smiling, she shakes her head and tucks her phone away. 

Yuri’s voice alone triggered fun memories of the Roselette’s members practicing until late at night then crashing in the breakroom or Wonyoung’s office. 

Sometimes they would go karaoking right after a performance or hit a bar and drink good savory sake. 

On other nights they stopped by Nako and Yuta’s apartment complex and enjoyed beer and desserts with the couple. Sometimes Yujin and Yuta would reminisce about the good, the bad, and the ugly; rehashing old drama. Other times collars were grabbed but it was all in the name of fun. For the most part. 

“Yujin,” 

Turning only her head, Yujin sees that it’s Gaeul. But she isn’t alone. Towering Gaeul is Wonyoung. 

Not Kim Wonyoung from their first year of middle school or Park Wonyoung from their second year in high school but Jang Wonyoung. 

Her Wonyoung. 

tvdLkqlOAPP6OeeJaRmc25TwKQ14uzn__u_0lGrfdMdfN918agco8rq-ZK-Y_kcShOzDFPXtg46VjXPVSeQ08pkaGcB9vEZV8H-g9rqRJn8BmM-ixZMFP1RxzLYXroGzp9TV-FXyc0eSQC8C1YPRb8Wn4rily6-I9zIXVOtBFukhO2E_eo3KDX2Dfw

“Um… She said that her name is Wonyoung and she is looking for you so I offered to bring her up here…” Gaeul trails off, rubbing her hands together. 

“...Wonyoung…” Yujin whispers, mostly in shock. 

Standing before her is the same gorgeous woman with dark wavy hair who’s always well-dressed night and day. Wonyoung’s lake-blue blazer and high-waisted wide-leg pants complemented her supermodel height. Her v-neck white tank contoured her lithe figure and her silver chain and hoop earrings completed her formal look. 

“You have been gone 117 days so I came to check on you.” Wonyoung begins, her voice nurturing as Yujin remembers it. “How have you been? Well, I hope?”

Yujin has visualized the moment she and Wonyoung reunited countless times but not once did she prepare herself for the part that came after Wonyoung stood in front of her. Or where she would find the courage to be the first to approach Wonyoung. In fear that she might lose the power in her legs that was gradually returning, Yujin jumps at the chance to do what she should have done a long time ago. 

In ten long strides, she lunges forward and skates her arms through the gap between Wonyoung’s arms and sides until she has the younger lock, at the waist, in a chummy hug. Although Yujin is glad to be able to hold Wonyoung again and sooner than she imagined, there’s nothing sweeter than the way Wonyoung hugs her back. Embracing her at the shoulders, the back of her head, and the rhythm of her breathing. Yujin can tell that Wonyoung is smiling. 

However, she can’t do the same as she has too much to apologize for. 

In a whisper, Yujin murmurs, “I’m sorry. I miss you like crazy. I was crazy. To think we needed time apart when what I really needed was more time with you.” Yujin draws Wonyoung closer to her; as close as their upper bodies will allow them to. “I shouldn’t have left Osaka. I shouldn’t have left you. Yuri is right. I’m pig-headed. I deserve to be called Yujinggy. I’m so stupid—” 

“I miss you like crazy too,” Wonyoung says gently, mitigating the negative thoughts in Yujin’s head. 

Calmer, Yujin links her fingers and then presses her hands up against Wonyoung’s back. She wasn’t satisfied with their embrace, not until Wonyoung had no choice but to stand on her toes. 

“Thank you for coming, even if it was only to check on me,” Yujin says and places her chin on Wonyoung’s shoulder. Only then when she notice it was only her and Wonyoung on the rooftop.

A/N - Last chapter to go~ <3