Three

The Last Waltz

"Hey, Satzu!" Dahyun exclaimed, making us jump from our close proximity and quickly separated.

"What the hell are you guys doing here? Party's almost over. Everyone's looking for you." Momo questioned.

"Nothing." Sana smiled. "Just hanging out."

"Well, if you're done hanging out alone and filling your lungs with nicotine, why don't you guys join the real party with us?" Dahyun invited.

I stood on my feet and sighed. "Fine. Let's just get this over with." I killed the fire on the cigarette by crashing it against the cement wall and walked my way to the door while the others followed. The four of us stride down the party like we were the hottest es in the room.

We danced like there's no tomorrow. The crowd was just so hyped. Sana tried to dirty dance with me but I would always push her away. She had no choice but to dance with Dahyun instead who looked so embarrassed when Sana and Momo twerk right in front of her, teasing and touching her everywhere. I had to go back to the bar and get another shot of tequila. I just needed to forget the fact that the person who ripped my heart open just showed up in my door, trying to stitch the open wounds she created herself. What a monster.

A slithering hands in my arms interrupted my train of thoughts. Even if the place was filled with smell of smoke, sweat and alcohol, I could still smell Sana's perfume. My favorite scent.

"What are you doing here?" Sana softly said with her, sleepy, sweet voice. The tone was just too y that I inevitably gulped from anxiety. I abruptly stood up, shoving the girl off me and walked out on her. I went to the direction of the bathroom. She followed behind, making sure I was okay.

"Why the hell are you following me? Get out!" I yelled. Sana knew very well I already drunk so, she nodded in understanding.

"Okay. But you have to go with me. It's time to go home. Come on." Sana held my hand but I pushed them away.

"No!" I refused. "Touch me again, I'll kick you out of the house for real."

Before she knew it, I was already pinning her against the wired fence. And even if my world was swirling from the amount of alcohol that's creeping in my system, I still feel the madness of her stares. Those damn eyes. They're evil. I should never believe them again.

Sana's the reason why I learned to walk on the safest side of the street. Why I learned to avoid fake people. Why I find it hard to trust people, even myself. The reason why I'm afraid of beautiful things cause they would make you feel a lot of things but then when they're gone, you'll just feel incredibly empty and abandoned. She's exactly the reason why I learned to be strong on my own. Be strong against the beasts in the woods, against the monsters under my bed, against the demons inside my messy brain. Sometimes Sana was the beast, sometimes the monster but many times she's one of the demons.

Yes, she looks like an angel, she smiles like an angel. Her light brown hair falls perfectly on her shoulder down to her back. She have rosy skin, a perfect pointy nose, lips that's very inviting.

Her eyes were my favorite. They shine like diamonds even in a dimly lit room. It's honestly the most beautiful eyes I have ever had a pleasure of looking at for years. It's like a portal to another world. A world that only me was given a chance to get in. I can't say it's a pleasure nor unfortunate. It's a curse and a blessing, a nightmare and a beautiful dream all at the same time.

I don't exactly remember how I went home that night but I remember cuddling next to Sana in my bed. I opened my eyes and as if on cue, the headache hit like a bulldozer on a wall. "Oh, God." I groaned. I meant to sit up but felt an arm around my waist. When I looked up, my eyes landed on the very person I have been running away from. Sana was soundly sleeping next to me like a baby. I was about to push her away but suddenly, I heard a shutter from a film camera. I looked to my side and saw a smiling Chaeyoung who looked incredibly impressed.

"Wow. What a perfect couple. Man, I'm down for Satzu crumbs even this early in the morning. Yeah, no regrets."

"Shut up!" I scolded. "Can you just take this one off me?"

"Are you crazy?!" Chaeyoung scolded back. "You don't interrupt anyone's sleep. That's an unspoken rule. Let her wake up on her own. Just stay there. I'm here to get my bro's book by the way." Chaeyoung grabbed the book, sitting on Dahyun's desk and quickly walked to the door.

"Hey!"

"Later, lovertzu! Have a good day!" She ran out the door, giggling. She quickly went to Mina and told her what she just saw in my room. I heard them laugh together.

It wasn't long when Sana moved while she moan in her position. That's when I had the chance to get off bed. Finally, she opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was me who's giving her death stares. She sat up and put on a smile. "Morning." She greeted in a sleepy deep voice, making me gulp hard from the iness in her tone. But I quickly reminded myself that I should be scolding her instead and not appreciating her beautiful just-woke-up face and hot deep voice.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you sleep here?"

Sana chuckled as if it was the funniest thing she heard.

"Don't you remember anything?"

 

I looked at her questioningly, trying my hardest to remember something. "What are you talking about?"

Sana has this teasing smile on her face that made me more annoyed than I already was. "What?!"

"Oh, Sana chan, one more minute please. I missed you so much. I missed your scent. I missed your hair. I missed touching you." She playfully reinacted my sentiments last night.

"Hey!! Shut up! I didn't say that!"

"I know. You don't remember anything. You were absolutely drunk. I understand." She teasingly smiled and sat up from bed, ignoring my already flushed face. "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." She walked to the door but paused and looked at me again. "And by the way, I missed touching you too. So bad."

As soon as Sana disappeared at the door, a flashback of a little memory played in my head. I did say those words but I thought it was all just a dream. Apparently it's not.

"I'm going crazy!!" I exclaimed, digging my hair by the roots.

 

Sana's POV

Lavander and Chamomile. That's her scent. Since the day I learned her smell, it was never erased in my memory. And it became the scent I love the most. It made my heartbeat race countless times. That's why everytime I smell that scent, memories of her, play like a movie with soft music in the background.

I closed my eyes and memories started to rush back in. I see her in that fancy ball gown. Her long, brown hair falls perfectly down her shoulders. She's such a masterpiece. An art nobody can find in a gallery because she'll be place in the most special section. In my heart I suppose.

Our waltz was fantastic and I was so glad everyone loved it. I remember their faces. I remember how they praised Tzuyu and I.

But what happened after that ball, that's what stuck in my head.

We snuck out and spent the whole night together at the beach. I remember calling her yoda for the first time after she said she fell in love with the Star Wars character since she saw it. I joked that they looked slightly alike because of the size of her ears. She got mad and scolded me. It became a fun inside joke among us. Mina and Momo couldn't agree with me more.

Maybe it's the case of you only know you love her when you let her go.

And I know, I'm such a huge idiot for leaving the most perfect girl I could ever had. But what can I do? happened. Unimaginable hell happened.

Flashback

"There you go." I said as soon as I put Tzuyu to bed. I leaned in, appreciating the maknae's undeniable pretty face. I sighed to myself, mentally beating myself up for causing this one such excruciating pain. I'm such an idiot. I stood up and decided to walk to the door and left Tzuyu alone to get the rest she needed but I felt a hand, touching mine.

"Don't go." She softly mumbled. I looked back, surprised from such an unexpected request from the person who almost want to kick me out the shared house door, literally.

"W-what?" She pulled me to make me go back to bed. "I said, stay."

I did as she requested and lied next to her. I didn't expect Tzuyu would put her arm around my waist and burry her face on my neck like she always did before. Tzuyu just stayed like that, sniffing my perfume. I gulped hard. I knew she will definitely regret this by the morning.

"Tzuyu." I mumbled as I gently pick up Tzuyu's hand but the drunk girl just put it back and snuggle harder.

"One more minute. Just let me hug you for a minute."

I felt blood, rushing to my cheeks. "Did you miss me?"

"Of course. I missed you so much. I missed your scent. I missed your hair. I missed touching you." She said as she held me tighter. I couldn't help tearing up from the sweet nothings coming out of Tzuyu's mouth. Sure, she's drunk but that's the raw version of herself. No pretentions. No anxiety. No filters. If there's one thing that I like about her, it's the simplicity of her character. She may look extravagant and gaudy but her heart spills out pureness.

For a moment, I felt forgiven. For a moment, I felt free from the chain that's been gripping my heart.

Tzuyu may be a distant star now but I'm willing to risk my life just to hold her again. To make her feel the same love again.

End of Flashback

 

I totally understand her anger. Honestly, it took me a million tons of bravery to finally show myself and go back to their lives. To Tzuyu's life. I never thought I'd really find her and be this close to her. The moment I look into her eyes after a very long time, for the first time in two years, I felt home again.

I couldn't believe how Tzuyu became a lot more beautiful. She really have that kind of face that would make anyone's heart skip a beat. If there's a greater word than beautiful, then that's it. That's the perfect word to describe such pretty and enticing face. But it's not just looks that I like about her. It's her sense of justice. The way she thinks that the world has become numb from the unfair treatment of people underneath the ladder of success.

It's her innocence. The way she cries whenever she see a suffering and abandoned animal.

It's her undeniable pure heart that makes her beautiful beyond the eyes could see.

And that's what I chose to abandon in the past.

The past that I wish to correct and bring back if I could. I won't get lost again for I just found my way back home.

 

Tzuyu's POV

At school, whenever we cross paths, Sana would smile at me mischevously. She also left a carton of chocolate milk and scones on my favorite spot in our cafeteria table. My whole day went like that and ruined would be an understatement.

Sana picks a book as saw me from the gap and stood next to the shelf on the other side. She greeted me but I just gave her a what-the- look. I walked a few steps away but Sana followed me from the next aisle. Eventually, she hopped in front of me, making me jump and scream in surprise, stealing attention from the librarian and other students.

"What are you doing?!" I whispered yelled.

"Senior Chou, how's your day going?" She asked with a smiley face but I just rolled my eyes.

"It was doing really good until you showed up. In fact, my whole life was doing perfectly fine until I saw your face again. And I told you to stop calling me that." I walked past her but the girl walked closely behind.

"Hey, Tzuyu chan, would you like to have dinner with me?"

"Did you hit your head as an infant or your mother put powdered dog food on your milk bottle as a baby?" I insulted but she just chuckled like the psychopath she is.

"I think it's the first one. But my head's a little better now. Thanks for your concern." Sana acted dumb, making me roll my eyes again.

"Ugh. Hopeless. You are one hopeless case."

"Hey, do you like ramen? Or should we have beef stew? I heard there's a good ramen place around here in school."

"I don't want to eat with you." I took a seat and Sana sat across me at the table.

"It's okay. I still want to eat you. I mean, eat with you. Sorry, typo." Sana giggled from her own joke but I was not having it. How the hell can she be this tenacious?

"You're crazy. Why am I even talking to you?" I took a huge book and covered my face to avoid looking at Sana's stupid frowny face.

Until I went home that day, she was still following me. We were walking down the street when a lightning strike nearby. Sana inevitably dock and covered her ears as she scream in horror. She's always been afraid of lightning and thunder. She doesn't exactly know why. When we were kids, I always protected her from it by hugging her so tight and covering her ears with my own hands. Out of adrenaline, along with the strike of lightning, I just realized I did it again. The usual things I do for her. Embrace and protect her from things she's afraid of. This . Why do I feel like she controls every part of me whenever she's around? I even do these things unconsciously for her. In the end, I will regret it. I know I will. But for now, I have to put her to safety.

I helped her get up with my hands still covering her ears. I lead her up the front door and walked inside the house. As soon as I closed the door, she attacked me with a hug. I was too stunned that I couldn't even speak or slap her head to make it stop.

"Are you guys okay?" I heard Chaeyoung's worried voice. "What happened?"

Sana finally get off me and faced confused Chaeyoung.

"Uh, actually, I'm extremely afraid of lightning and thunder." Sana shyly explained.

"Oh? Are you okay?" Jihyo worriedly asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine now that I'm inside the house. Also, Tzuyu's here to protect me."

"Bold of you to think I'll do it again." I walked past her and went to my room. I heard her snicker from behind me.

"Are you guys making dinner?" Sana asked the two.

"Yeah! Come here, have a taste." Jihyo invited.

I closed the bedroom door and put my bag on the chair. I paused, questioning myself why I did what I did to Sana earlier. Guess I'm just being my heroic self. That's it, right? Maybe that's it. I always protect people around me even if it's Minatozaki Sana who completely do not deserve my concern. It just happened naturally because I'm a good person. Hell, I'm absolutely a better person than her. Period.

 

--

 

"Nayeon, can you just let me explain? Please?" Everyone heard Jeongyeon's voice as soon as Nayeon and her walked in the frontdoor. I could even hear them from my room. I stepped out to check what's going on.

The girls looked at them questioningly.

"What else do you want to lie about huh?" Nayeon sarcastically said, giving her a cold shoulder.

"Listen. Jennie walked up to me after class and literally dragged me across the hall. She asked me to go with her at the hospital to see her dad. She couldn't do it alone. You know that she's not in good terms with her dad." Jeongyeon unnie explained but Nayeon unnie just looked at her with anger.

"Then, why did you have to lie and told me you're on your way?"

"I was on my way!" Jeongyeon answered. "But Jennie's mom asked me to stay for dinner."

Nayeon paused and just looked at her in the eye.

"You should have say so." She mumbled in a deep, dangerous tone and walked to their room. Jeongyeon followed close behind, trying to apologize again.

"I'm sorry!" I heard her say from behind the door. Nayeon wasn't talking anymore while Jeongyeon was trying her hardest to explain everything all over again.

Meanwhile, the girls were just dumbstruck. I noticed everyone was already present.

"Hey, why are they fighting like that? Are they dating? For real?" Sana suddenly asked, obviously confused of our housemates' behavior.

"Nope." Dahyun simply answered.

"Eh? Then why..."

"They're not confirming it yet but judging from their actions, they don't really have to. It's already obvious." Jihyo answered.

"All this time, I thought they're a couple." Sana stated, making the others laugh.

Everyone went ahead with whatever they were doing before the crazy unnies interrupted. I decided to sit on the carpet next to Dahyun who was reading her book and do the same.

"Hey you okay? You want me to give you a massage?" Chaeyoung asked Mina who looked a bit tired.

"Sure. Thanks, babe." Mina softly said as she smile cutely towards the maknae. Chaeyoung positioned herself behind Mina and started to her shoulder. The others keep on doing their thing while listening to these suspicious pair.

"I wonder if you would like to, you know, have lunch with me tomorrow and maybe see a movie?" Chaeyoung shyly asked as if someone asking her ultimate crush out.

"A lunch and a movie? Sounds great." Mina answered with a huge gummy smile. Now, it's obvious how their cheeks turned red.

"You guys seriously look like you're dating. Tell me, are two in a relationship?" Finally, somebody questioned and obviously it's coming from Sana who's naturally curious of everything around her.

"No. Can't bestfriends have lunch out and a movie?" Chaeyoung defensively answered.

"Nope. Not when you two look at each other like your lives depend on it." Sana teased harder.

"Hey, stop it." Mina cutely mumbled with flushed cheeks. The others laughed from her cuteness. Everything she does is just too soft and cute that none of us can handle. No wonder this little cub is head-over-heels in love with her. Just like the eldest unnies, these two don't really have to disclose anything about their real score and we respect that.

"Mina unnie, do you want to continue this in your room?" Chaeyoung offered.

"Yeah, sure." Mina said without hesitation. They stood up from the couch and walked to her room. Chaeyoung mischevously smiled towards Sana, teasing her back by sticking her tongue.

"Woah! She's really something!" Sana exclaimed in annoyance.

"Crazy little cub." Jihyo commented, giggling from where she was sat in the table while using her laptop.

"Did you know Tzuyu and I used to flirt like that?" Sana started. I lost my smile and gave her a what-the- look.

"You do?" Jihyo teasingly said, looking at us back and forth.

"Of course! We used to be the hottest couple in school." Sana affirmed.

"Shut your mouth!" I scolded in a warning tone.

"Yeah, stop lying!" Momo scolded her too. "Isn't it Mina and I who were the hottest couple in school? After we did that interpretative dance of Crazy in Love during school fair, everyone thought we're a real couple."

"Woah! Really? That's so cool!" Dahyun commented. Her monolid eyes widened cutely.

"Oh, right. That happened too." Sana realized, giggling as she remember it. I just watched as they both reminisce about that event in highschool. The Korean girls just listened and get surprised with the details.

 

Jeongyeon unnie suddenly walked out her room with a pillow and a blanket, being thrown on her face. Nayeon slammed the door and Jeongyeon pouted like a puppy who just got kicked out of her dog house.

"She just kicked me out of my own room." She said in disbelief. We all laughed from the look on her face.

"I swear, you guys look exactly like my parents when they fight. Damn!" Momo commented.

"Tell me about it." she sighed, accepting the fact that she's gonna sleep in the couch again.

"Yow! You okay, unnie?" Dahyun asked in between laughters.

"Do I look okay?" She flashed her with glaring eyes.

"Hey, come on. It's not like this is the first time you're sleeping in the couch." Jihyo teased.

"This happened before?" Sana inquired.

"Yeah, this is like, the sixth time. This one's just too stubborn." Momo informed.

"Hey, you should have learned your lesson from the first one." I scolded.

"Instead of scolding me, why don't you guys suggest some things I can do to make it up to her?"

"And then what, you're gonna have secret rendezvous with Jennie again?" Jihyo couldn't stop teasing.

"Hey! I told you, it's Jennie's fault. She keeps on catching me off guard. And in the first place, what's wrong with hanging out with her anyway? She's my close friend after all. She lived here with us." Jeongyeon tried to defend herself while everyone else laughed from her pouty face.

"Okay. Come here." Sana placed an arm over Jeongyeon's shoulder as if they're really close and gave her the best advice she could come up with. "You know, when you really want to make it up to someone and make them believe you're not gonna do it again, ask her directly what she wants you to do and do exactly what she told you."

I scoffed to myself. As if it worked for herself.

"Oh, that's right." Dahyun agreed. "Saying sorry is never enough. Actually meaning it is the perfect way to really get it."

"How do I do that? She's not even listening to me."

"Catch her in a corner." Jihyo added. "Don't let her talk first. Take the upper hand and look at her straight in the eye. And say, It's my fault. I made a mistake. And I'm here, hoping to make it up to you. Please, tell me what I can do to fix this and I will do it."

"Woah!! Jihyo chan! That's perfect!" Sana exclaimed in awe.

"How the hell did you know how to do that?" Momo asked.

"I used to do it to Chaeyoung when she gets upset with me." Jihyo admitted. "She can't get out whenever I pin her against the wall. She couldn't do anything but say yes to whatever I tell her." Everyone laughed from the thought of the scene.

"Hey! How can I do that to Nayeon? Her arms are way stronger than mine." Jeongyeon complained.

"Just find a perfect corner where she can't really use her strength." Jihyo advised.

"Do it in the morning. And make sure she hasn't drink her coffee yet." I added.

"Oh, that makes sense." Jeongyeon agreed.

"Why don't we practice? Come on, do it with Momo." Jihyo suggested.

"Eh? Why me?" Momo questioned.

"You have the same height with Nayeon unnie." Sana answered.

"Fine. Let's do it." Momo said, getting up from the chair.

"Now, grab her and say you're sorry." Jihyo instructed. Everyone watched in anticipation. Jeongyeon did grab Momo by the arm and made her lean against the wall. But so much to our surprise, she pinned her by grabbing her s with both hands.

"Hey! It's not like that!" Dahyun scolded and so as everyone.

"You're such a ert!" Sana yelled. Jeongyeon just laughed from her naughty gestures while Momo protected her goodies by folding her arms above it while she also crack up in the corner.

"Hey! Do it properly!" I exclaimed. "Do you want to do this or not?"

"Okay. Okay. I'm sorry. I was just playing around." She said. "I'll do it this time."

Jeongyeon unnie started to get serious and practiced everything she had to say when she talk to Nayeon unnie while we all helped her. Everyone seems to have the enthusiasm to make Nayeon unnie forgive her and I just giggle in the corner, watching them.

--

 

"Guys, look! There are humans, occupying the house in front!" Dahyun exclaimed as soon as she walked in the door, one afternoon. Everyone was in the house, resting up after a long day in school and work.

We all get close to the window to look at the house in front and we saw lights for the first time. Dahyun took the binoculars from the drawer and peered on the house.

"Really? Did they buy the house or they are just, psychics, ghost hunting again?" Nayeon questioned.

"Wait, there are ghosts in there? Did you see one?" Sana gasped and put her arms around mine which I tried to push away but failed.

"I saw a head once," Momo confessed. "it was smiling back at me and I waved and he couldn't wave back because you know, and he decided to just wink. Now we're good friends. He's really sweet."

"Hey!" The girls complained, hitting her playfully.

"Guys, focus!" Dahyun scolded. "We're trying to know if they own the house or not. What if they're burglars? We need to report them."

"Report who?" Suddenly, Jihyo and Jeongyeon walked up to us from the kitchen. "What the hell are you guys doing here?"

"Look, it seems like the house in front is occupied now." Chaeyoung informed, handing the binoculars to Jeongyeon unnie who actually owns it.

"Oh that? Yeah they just moved in yesterday." Jihyo said. "I saw movers truck but it looks like they just have really few stuff so it didn't take long."

"Really? Well that's bizarre." Nayeon furrowed her brows, pouring her full attention on the matter this time. "If I'd move in a huge house, all by myself, it will take probably five trucks. Just for my clothes alone."

"Yeah. So, this is very suspicious." Dahyun stated. There's this determination in her eyes as if she's in a detective movie all of a sudden. "There are three of them and they only needed one truck? That's crazy!"

"Okay. Stop speculating and suspecting people." I scolded. "They're just a simple family and maybe there's something bad happened in their old house that's why they needed to move out."

"Like?" She said, lifting her chin up just to look at my eyes.

"They were rubbed or their house burned. See? There's a lot of possibilities." I answered.

"Two is not a lot." She managed to counter.

"Maybe they sold the other stuff or give it to charity." Chaeyoung added, taking my side but Dahyun stood still on her belief.

"Four is not a lot either. I say, this is suspicious and we need to investigate."

"Yup. Agreed." Nayeon said, taking her side.

"Well, I say no." Jihyo announced. "Leave the family alone. For Pete's sake, they just moved in for like 24 hours and now we're investigating?"

"Oh, come on. Unnie!" Dahyun pouted cutely, giving her the lost puppy look. Something Mina couldn't handle so, she took her side too.

"I say Mr. and Mrs. Choi are not really a couple and their daughter, So Hyun isn't really their child, they just abducted her." Mina stated, making everyone look at her with surprised faces.

"What?!" Nayeon exclaimed.

"You already met them?" Jeongyeon asked.

"They stopped by yesterday and gave me the apple pie." She informed.

"Chaeyoung said that's from Nayeon unnie's mom!" Sana stated, finally letting go of my arms. Thank goodness.

"What if it was poisoned?" Jeongyeon scolded.

"What? I ate half of it." Momo said with her hands above as if she's about to puke.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "If it's poisoned, your mouth could have been producing bubbles already."

"No, it's not."

"Then, we're good."

"Guys, back to the game!" Nayeon demanded. "What did you just say? The kid is not their child and just abducted her?!"

"Well yeah. Or not." Mina pronounced, narrowing her eyes as if dropping a challenge for everyone. "Maybe she really is. But look closely to her features. Do you see any resemblance to the couple? I highly doubt it."

She smirked as if a villainess.

"Woah! You're so cool, unnie." Chaeyoung complimented as if a whipped girlfriend. Mina turned her back to leave.

"Hey, where are you going?" Momo questioned.

"I'm going to take a nice, warm bath." She answered.

"After dropping that bomb?" Nayeon said which made Mina chuckle.

"Can I join?" Sana in, hopping off the couch excitedly like a child.

"I already have company. Chaengie? Are you coming?" Mina suddenly announced confidently.

"Uh~ m-me?" Chaeyoung stuttered from a total surprise, making everyone laugh from the look on her face. Her cheeks, covered in red in a very short period of time.

"Hey! Mina chan! How are you so good at teasing these days?" Momo playfully scolded Mina who's face also flushed from what she just said. She walked to the direction of her room and disappeared at the door.

"Ugh. This is so unfair. I really want to have bubble bath too." Sana complained, pouting like a five-year-old who dropped her lollipop by accident.

"It's okay, baby Sana. Come here." Dahyun grabbed her by the waist and made her lean closer.

"Why don't you join us in peeping into these binoculars and discover the truth behind these walls? Exciting, isn't it?" Dahyun gave her the apparatus which made her smile again. I don't know why I felt this little pinch in my chest, watching them get so close. I don't even know why I was watching in the first place. I snapped out of it and went back to my room where I plan to relax by watching some horror movies.

 

--

 

I was walking down the street when I saw a puppy at the other side of the road. Suddenly, it turned and ran for an apple in the middle of the street. A truck was speeding towards it. The driver most probably couldn't see the little puppy. Out of adrenaline and fear for the poor animal, I thoughtlessly ran to grab and save it. Like a scene in a movie, that particular moment happened in slow motion.

"Tzuyu!!" I heard Sana's high pitch voice. I didn't even know she was following me that morning. The driver probably heard her shout and immediately stopped before it could hit me. It's as if my head went blank. As of I lost sense of reality. I was only pulled back when I heard a little roar from the puppy, safely resting in between my palms.

"Are you crazy?!" The angry driver scolded.

"Hey! You should have seen the puppy in the first place! It's your fault!" Sana shouted back.

"HEY!" The man was all red out of excessive anger after hearing what she said.

"I'm sorry! It's my fault." I interrupted before he could do something terrible. I bowed in sincere apology.

"Crazy es!" He insulted. Sana almost ran up to him but I held her arm to make her stop. Her just closed his door and drove away, leaving us alone.

"Don't you dare drive in this road again, I'd haunt you down! !" Sana yelled at the truck as if a frustrated gangster.

"Hey, that's enough! He's gone!" I yelled out of annoyance.

"Why the hell did you do that?" She scolded me this time." Are you out of your mind? Do you even realize you almost died? Don't do that again!"

"Stop over reacting! Nothing happened to me."

"Yeah, thanks to me!" Sana took a deep breath. There's nothing on her face but seriousness. A kind that I rarely see. "What if I wasn't there, Tzuyu? What if I'm not here anymore? Would you be able to take care of yourself?"

 

What the hell does that even mean?

 

She walked in a hurry back to the direction of the dorm. She was panting with her hand above her chest. She hurriedly fished something in her bag and pulled out a bottle of water. I noticed she took a pill and breathed through as if she just ran a mile within 10 minutes. She turned her head and we met gaze. There's that look in her eyes again. That combination of loneliness and fear. She took a deep breath and walked away.

 

--

Few days has passed, I was still puzzled about everything she said in that truck incident and the pill she took.

After just few hours, she went back to her old clumsy and annoying self as if nothing happened.

When I went home one day, I was just so done and practically so beat, I just wanted to cuddle with Butter, the stuffed toy that Dahyun gave me as a present last year. But my supposed to be alone time was cut short when Sana walked in my door, inviting me for dinner. I can't really say no to food especially when I'm already starving. I walked past her and she followed behind, closing the bedroom door.

"So, did you enjoy the snacks I left for you earlier?" She inquired.

"Oh, I absolutely enjoyed tossing it in the trash." I lied.

Sana pouted hard from the thought of the food she bought, sitting in a trash can.

"You didn't have to throw it away." Sana quietly said, sulking in the corner. Silly girl. How the heck could I even throw away dumplings and raspberry pops?

 

I sighed and stopped walking to face her again. "Hey, for the last time, stop pestering me. It's not funny. It's not practical. And most importantly, I don't like it. Whatever fantasy you have in your head that if you do all these stupid stuff to make me forgive you, you're just wasting your time. Cause it's never gonna happen." I continued striding down the hallway.

"Tzuyu, wait!"

I stopped on my tracks when we heard a vase, shattering on the floor.

Sana accidentally hit a vase from the drawer attached to the wall.

"What the~"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it?" She apologized, looking as if she's breaking down in tears any minute.

"When will you ever stop being clumsy?!" I scolded.

"Hey, what's going on here?" We heard Jeongyeon's voice. Mina and Jihyo was stood right behind her, looking just as surprised as everyone.

"Uh~" Sana was about to apologize when I interrupted her.

"I'm sorry. It's my fault. I'll replace it." I announced, convincing everyone except for Mina. She knew very well, Sana's the clumsy one and judging from how Sana looked at me with a huge surprise on her face. It often happened before back in high school. I would lie for Sana and say it's my fault even if it's not. And Mina's always been so fascinated about my sacrifices for Sana which has been showing since the day she showed up in our shared house and walked in our lives once again. She didn't have to talk. I know that's what Mina is thinking.

"It's okay. You two just clean this up okay? And go downstairs after. Pizza's here." Jeongyeon instructed and walked back to the living room.

"What the hell were you guys doing?" Jihyo asked, looking at us with judgy eyes.

"Why don't you just help?" I scolded but she just gave me a smug look.

"Why would I? It's your fault." She said, grabbing Mina's arm and dragging her out of the scene. Mina looked back at us and signalled us to just get it over with.

"Hey, would you like to go with me in the store to buy a new one?" I offered. I don't know why. I think it's just her stupid pout and puppy eyes that's why I kind of felt sympathetic.

"No. Why would I?" Sana teasingly said.

"It's your fault! Aren't you grateful I covered for you?" I scolded.

Since she's being the baby she always has been, Sana decided to tease me more. "Did I ask you? Do it yourself."

I almost smacked her with the dust pan out of annoyance.

"Ungrateful ."

Sana tried to conceal her laughter from my reaction. But as the clumsy girl she is, she accidentally cut her finger with the sharp edge of the glass.

"Ahh! It hurts!" She squealed as blood streamed down the open wound and hit the floor.

"Hey! Why are you so careless?" I yelled but moved next to her worriedly.

"I didn't mean it." She cried.

"Wait here." I abruptly stood up and quickly went to my room to grab the medkit. When I went back, I immediately stopped the bleeding and cleaned the wound before covering it with a band aid.

Sana was just stuck, staring at me, probably in awe of how I still choose to take care of her even if she's the most terrible person in the world.

"Tzuyu? Are you really worried? You're so cute." She couldn't help speaking her mind.

I gave her a devilish glare as a response. "Don't get it wrong, I'm just really kind to animals. Even to snakes like you."

She chuckled as if I just threw a really funny joke.

"Just go downstairs, I'll finish this." I instructed. Sana smiled and stood up.

"Okay. Thank you." She paused and looked back, meeting my gaze.

"Hey, I know I made the biggest mistake of abandoning you in the past. But I'm here now. I may not have all the time in the world but I'll do everything with this barrowed time to make you forgive me." She stated in a serious tone, making me stop on my tracks. What does she exactly mean by barrowed time? And why does she sound extremely sad?

She put on a smile and walked her way to the living room where everyone was.

And I was once again puzzled by Sana's choice of words.