fin

She's a Keeper
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

1 (July)

 

When asked what Irene is doing for a living, she replies that she trains footballers. Others are quick to jump to the conclusion that she leads a team on how they play. She never bothers correcting them because they will always have their own version anyway.

 

Bae Joohyun, more known as Irene Bae in the sports world, is the newly hired assistant performance director of the Rêve Football Club Women that is currently playing at England’s women’s football top league, the FA Women’s Super League.

 

Along with her unnie, who is also her boss, Tiffany Young, they are a tandem. As sports scientists, they have looked after different teams from various sports all over the world. Every time, they ensure that their athletes are fit and are able to deal with the demands of their sport as possible. Their recent stint was back home where they were in charge of the health of every player of South Korea’s national women's football team.

 

Rêve’s manager used to coach the South Koreans and poached the duo after four successful years with the national team and wishes to do the same for Rêve Ladies. The club is not relatively new but they were relegated three seasons ago to Championship (the second-tier league) for finishing last during the 2018-2019 season. The Dreamers returned to FA WSL after beating Liverpool two seasons later. But then again, they almost lost their spot due to injuries of multiple players plus terrible coaching, affecting their overall performance. As a solution, the board decided to change the technical staff.

 

Going back to Irene, the brunette leisurely strolls the hallways of the club’s training center, showing her badge when she gets suspicious looks from others. Unlike Tiffany who’s been here for weeks now, this is Irene’s first day as she had to arrive later due to her work visa. Irene feels her phone vibrate, indicating a new message.

 

Fany unnie: you always make me feel bad whenever you are early (which is all the time). coach is running late so i would be the only one to introduce you to the girls.

 

Hyun: Take your time, unnie! I am just familiarizing myself with the club. Went to see the pitch and the gym first and foremost. I cannot wait to punish the players ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

Fany unnie: see! i told you, you are much meaner than me.

 

Fany unnie: let’s meet in the locker room in 15. i am about to head out.

 

Hyun: Got it. See ya!

 

Irene is busy looking at her phone as she walks into the locker room and lets out a scream when a bang shocks her to the core.

 

“Ahhhh!”

 

“Ahhhh!”

 

Irene instantly glances up to see who mimic her scream and regrets it the moment she sets her eyes on the other person in the room.

 

Irene has done her assignment and did a thorough research about each footballer in the club. And there is no doubt that the other figure across from her is Rêve’s very own tremendous goalkeeper, one of Canada’s saviors of their national team’s backline, Wendy Son.

 

The newcomer doesn’t mind meeting the players without Tiffany, she could handle a tiny chat professionally. But Irene does mind when the goalie in front of her, standing at 1.80 m tall, has her short hair soaked and her towel hanging around her broad shoulders, evidently fresh out of the shower.

 

And Wendy’s abs are fully visible as the footballer is topless, only covered by her sports bra and her training pants.

 

Just like that, Irene’s professionalism is thrown out the windows. She has the urge to let out another scream but she holds it in and bows profusely, apologizing while hiding her face. She is burning.

 

“I am so sorry!” She turns around quickly and nearly leaves the locker room when Wendy’s voice stops her.

 

“Sorry, my bad. I thought I was the only one here,” Wendy speaks in Korean, surprising Irene. She then realized that she apologized in her mother tongue.

 

Irene tensely stays in her place and shuts . Wendy merely giggles at her or the situation they are in, she is not sure. She cannot utter a single word, afraid to embarrass herself even more.

 

“I am decent. You can look now.”

 

Irene wants to bolt but she doesn’t want to be rude. This is her first day and she would like to salvage the impression she made on the star goalie. There is no way that this meeting could go more into the wrong direction, right?

 

Irene takes a deep breath before facing the footballer, tilting her head up slightly to match their eyeline. She introduces herself with a nervous smile, “Hi. I am Irene Bae. I am the new assistant performance director. I am excited to be working with the team. I hope we get along well." She finishes with a bow. "I am sorry again for barging in. I didn't mean to.”

 

Wendy displays her charming, dimpled smile. She dips her head and holds out her hand. “Nice to meet you, Irene. I am Wendy Son, #21, goalkeeper. I am sure you will fit right in here. Don't worry too much about what happened earlier. That happens a lot here. I only screamed because you screamed,” Wendy says with a friendly tone, easing Irene's nerves.

 

Irene accepts her hand for a handshake and she notices how big Wendy’s hand is compared to hers. It makes sense since the footballer is basically a giant. Despite her intimidating stature, Wendy’s features are soft, her gaze is warm and her smile is appearing so adorably. Plus, Irene can smell the light and comforting perfume Wendy is wearing. She almost brings herself closer to the other woman in order to smell her better but it is a good thing that she snaps out of her crazy thoughts, quickly retracting her hand from the handshake and taking one step backward.

 

“Unnie?” Wendy suddenly asks.

 

Irene tilts her head in question, the goalie explaining in a flash, “I am 28. Tiffany is older so I call her unnie sometimes. Sorry if I assumed wrong.”

 

“Uh, right. I am 31.”

 

“Irene unnie?” Wendy asks again.

 

Irene only nods her head, giving her the permission to call her unnie. She shifts her attention to scan the locker room to avoid looking at Wendy who continues smiling at her.

 

“We use the same facilities as the men’s and the academy. However, we rarely use the Kwangya Stadium for home matches, only for the big ones that generate a larger audience. Men’s got more budget is their reasoning. We play one sport and we want to be acknowledged such as that, to get similar investment as the men’s. That is why we are aiming to at least be part of the top five this season as well as claiming a spot at Champions League, if that’s what it takes,” Wendy comments nonchalantly while drying her hair with her towel, proceeding to sit in front of her locker, her eyes locked on Irene.

 

Irene lets out a tiny smile at how Wendy smoothly engages a conversation with her. “That’s the goal. Fany unnie and I will help you girls to be in your best form. In no time, you will be with Arsenal and Chelsea at the top.”

 

“Oooh. Tiffany unnie mentioned you a few times already during our meetings. She said you are competitive but I didn’t expect you to be this competitive. We know you are partners and everything. I have played against the South Korean team and I am sure you two were part of the reason how they improved through the years.”

 

Irene chuckles, finding herself comfortable talking with Wendy, the latter still gazing at her from her spot. Irene is grateful that the other woman is sitting now or else she might have a stiff neck just from looking at her.

 

“It’s part of our job. We have encountered athletes who lost themselves because of fame and pressure. We believe that the players we train thrive better if we remind them about the goal from time to time without forgetting the real motivation. What and how are the usual questions when we compete. What do we get in the end? How do we get there? But competition means much more when you ask the ‘why’. Why do we train? Why do we play? Why are we here? On the papers, it looks like we are only in charge of the physical fitness of our players. But we train you more than that. Performance is about the body, the mind, and the heart. Balancing those three, you would be a better athlete than you’d imagine.”

 

Wendy has her hands frozen over her hair, gaping at Irene. The footballer’s reaction makes her nervous, she immediately puts her hands in her jeans’ pockets, acting cool from her abrupt motivational speech.

 

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to be so formal.”

 

Wendy shakes her head fiercely, placing the towel over her shoulders once more.

 

“Irene unnie.”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

“When you walked in earlier, I was blown away by your beauty. Now, I am amazed by your mind and your passion for the game. I don’t need to ask why you are here. I am thankful enough that you are. Last season was a tough run for us and we need people like you to keep going. It’d be an honor to be training under you and I know the girls would feel the same.”

 

It is Irene’s turn to gape, her cheeks flushing again, not because of embarrassment but because she heard Wendy’s genuinity in her words, slightly pulling at her heartstrings.

 

“T–Thank you, Wendy,” Irene stutters, ducking her head low like she is bowing though she is really hiding her blushing face. “Speaking of training, I will go see the gym first. I’ll be back.”

 

Irene hastily exits the room, she hears Wendy’s muffled voice telling her the directions like she needs it. She goes back to the gym and settles on the nearest bench she finds. She already spent twenty minutes here before she met Wendy. She just had to get away from the goalkeeper for a while. Six minutes later, she receives multiple texts from Tiffany.


 

Fany unnie: where are you? the girls are arriving.

 

Fany unnie: wait. you met wendy already? she told me you are in the gym? i thought you went there earlier?

 

Fany unnie: she is gushing about you?????

 

Fany unnie: WHAT DID YOU DO, BAE JOOHYUN?


 

Irene draws a deep sigh. She wants to reply that Tiffany is asking the wrong question. It should be, ‘What did Wendy do?’.

 

Irene was not the one who stood there topless while there was a stranger in the locker room. Irene was not the one randomly complimented her beauty and her mind. Wendy should be held accountable for whatever she did because ever since left the room, the goalie’s words are still ringing loudly in her head, her heart beating rapidly.

 

Fany unnie: get back here now, joohyun!

 

Irene scrambles out of her seat, speed walking to the locker room. She doesn’t want Tiffany to grill her on her first day. She stands by the door, hearing the commotion of the players.

 

But what can Irene hear the most are Wendy’s loud voice and the thunder of her own beating heart.


 

O-O-O

  2 (August)  

It's only pre-season and the performance directors have gotten to know Rêve players on and off the pitch. Irene and Tiffany. They are partners. They overlook the team as a whole. They are the brains behind everything that involves sports science and high performance; health screening, planning out training, drafting proper match and train loads, developing injury prevention strategy, and even monitoring every recovery, nutrition, and hydration.

 

Irene glares at Tiffany for giving her a task she isn’t really supposed to do. She has to keep an eye on their goalkeepers for extra testing. Something about strength and conditioning, Tiffany said. Anyone on their staff could do that and just report to them the results. But Tiffany is THE boss and their goalkeeping coach, Nichkhun, agrees with the performance director right away.

 

"Take care of our GK union, Irene. We’ll see you later." Tiffany pats her assistant's back.

 

"Yes, coach," Irene says sarcastically, resisting in rolling her eyes because there are other people around them, specifically, Wendy and her two co-goalies. They hate being called 'Coach' since they think that title is reserved for their gaffer who makes actual game plans and tactics on the pitch, and they are from being that person.

 

Irene can see from her peripheral vision that Wendy has her eyes locked on her. She usually gets creeped out by that kind of stare yet there is something about Wendy's watchful gaze that she finds endearing. Tiffany, on the other hand, is smiling bashfully, not even hiding the fact that she is looking back and forth between Wendy and Irene. She really regrets telling the older woman what happened on her first day because the latter keeps making fun of her and notices teeny bit of things that should not affect her.

 

If you see Wendy play, you would know why she is considered a beast in front of the goal post. She could block most shots headed her way, all thanks to her height advantage and quick reflexes, using her entire body to save the ball. She fiercely commands her backline and positions her defenders strategically especially during free kicks and corner kicks. She is not afraid to leave her spot and go forward just to intercept a player. Going 1v1 with her would be tricky as she could barely be blindsided because she could read their opponents play right off the bat.

 

Wendy off the pitch though is a whole new story. She is like that dog called Samoyed that Tiffany spazzes about. In other words, Wendy is a giant fluffball– affectionate, friendly, gentle, and energetic. Adorable. She never fails to brighten up the room with her chatter and her joyous laughs. She is the mom of the team, taking care of every player, spoiling them with gifts and treating them almost every time they go out. Her tough appearance on the field cannot be found when she is not wearing her boots and gloves.

 

Yes, maybe Irene has her little fair of observing the goalkeeper but she will not admit that out loud. It’s just that Wendy’s gestures say a lot about her personality. And when Tiffany randomly brings up one time that Wendy acts differently around her, Irene cannot help but to find herself studying the tall footballer’s actions after.

 

Wendy always smiles at her every time their eyes meet and lends a helping hand when she is having difficulty adapting to the new environment. Wendy consistently greets her brightly first whenever she arrives with Tiffany and their coach. When they are heading on the pitch for drills, Wendy will walk by their sides with the excuse of chatting with Tiffany and then suddenly shifting her attention to Irene just to give a grin and a subtle wink (a wink for God’s sake) before focusing on the discussion with the performance director again. After training, the goalie will find her somewhere in the training center’s premises just to bid goodbye, sometimes offering to drive her home and Irene politely rejecting her every time, the taller woman nodding in understanding.

 

Wendy is kind but when Irene is there, she takes it to the next level.

 

“Irene?” Wendy calls her name. They are now alone in the gym and the three goalies are waiting for her instructions.

 

“Right. Sorry.” Irene clears , trying to concentrate on her job, avoiding to look at the tallest person in the room that distracted her. “We are also testing the other players sometime next week but since you don’t do much high speed running and cover less distance than most, we would like to focus and come up with a program precisely for you three to help with your handling and reactions.”

 

Irene tells them to move onto the center as she grabs her equipment in assessing the footballers. “It is important to know completely what you are competent in doing and physically able to do. This way, we would be able to set your training routine, tweak what needs to be tweaked as we continue through the season.”

 

“You aren’t going to make us suffer, right?” Roseanne, one of the trio, humorously adds.

 

“Not yet,” Irene replies with a smirk, the goalkeepers become tense and widen their eyes at the threat.

 

“I am kidding. It’s a simple test. It’s like your usual gym day but more advanced.” Irene shows a set of gadgets in her hand. “This will register your every movement. Have them on each arm and leg. The one on your chest will be the receiver.”

 

“Do we keep score or something?” Another goalkeeper, Karina, seriously asks, already stretching her muscles.

 

“No. This is only for your profile.” Irene chuckles, shaking her head at the young goalie’s enthusiasm. She hands the sensors to the footballers and directs them to wear it as she gives more directions, “After warming up, you have to go through three stages: strength, power, and reaction. They left me alone here so we’ll have to do it one-at-a-time instead of having a lookout on every station. You don’t want to overload me and the tablet with all your numbers.”

 

“I will go last. These two have a movie to catch,” Wendy suggests.

 

The two youngsters frown. “Wait. You’re not going?”

 

“Nope. I have to clean my place and catch up with all the chores I ignored these past few days.” Wendy shrugs and displays a small smile.

 

Irene arches a brow when she doesn’t see the usual shine on Wendy’s eyes. She realizes then the other woman has been her usual peppy self today. It’s a good thing that the footballers start warming up when Irene is about to question the oldest goalie what is wrong. She sometimes doesn’t get the pull Wendy has on her.

 

Roseanne and Karina go first, Irene diligently scribbling down her observations. When they are done, they try convincing Wendy to join them later and even offer to wait for her but the leader of the GK union only shoos them away.

 

Irene almost forgets how to write as she watches Wendy. She swallows thickly when the gentle giant rolls up her sleeves, showing off her perfectly sculpted biceps and triceps to lift the barbell. As Wendy brings it down, the goalie waits for Irene’s next instruction.

 

But the assistant performance director is in a daze.

 

“Irene unnie?”

 

“Y–Yes?” Irene coughs and pretends to be looking down on her tablet to check Wendy’s stats.

 

“Should I continue?”

 

Irene nods, not glancing at the goalkeeper, she can feel Wendy’s hot stare on her. “Go on. I will give my comments when you are done with everything.”

 

“Okay.” Wendy finishes the strength course and takes a break for a few minutes, massaging her left shoulder, the sports scientist takes note of this.

 

For the next test, Irene is aware that plyometrics type of exercise is essential for a goalkeeper’s power but she curses herself in her mind for staring again every time she sees Wendy flexing her muscles when she accomplishes each jump needed. Wendy does it all so naturally.

 

Did this woman come out of her mother’s womb with these outrageous muscles?

 

Thank God the last part of the test is only a twenty-second reaction drill yet Irene is still amazed by Wendy’s skills. With her quick reflexes, she easily swats her hands through the beacons that light up individually all over the center of the gym.

 

Despite her marvelous performance, it seems like Wendy also gets tired as she sits on the floor after completing the tests, taking off the sensors while breathing heavily, raising her training shirt to wipe her sweaty face. Irene witnesses this exact moment when she turns around and almost trips over her own feet. Why do I have to see those abs again?

 

Irene calms herself by cleaning up the equipment they used. Wendy notices what she is doing and stands up to help her but Irene stops the footballer.

 

“Cool down and rehydrate, Wendy. Grab your bottle,” Irene says sternly. She is being strict now only because Wendy is not good for her heart and if the goalkeeper comes any more closer, she might do something unprofessional.

 

Wendy huffs and puckers her lips but follows Irene’s words right away. She patiently waits for the sports scientist while resting on the ground, watching her every movement. A few minutes later, Irene slumps onto the mini stool that she dragged and settles it in front of the goalkeeper.

 

“So?” Wendy nervously asks, eyes staring intently at the older woman. Despite sitting on an elevated surface, Irene hardly manages to tower over the goalkeeper.

 

Irene scans her notes and results on her tablet. “Your stats are fantastic. The numbers show the experience you have. You know the proper technique in using your muscles without straining yourself. You can jump pretty high and still manage to land perfectly on both of your feet, always in balance and stance-ready to save a ball. Your reaction time is the best one I have seen among all the athletes I have trained.”

 

“There is a but coming,” Wendy weakly voices out, unconsciously reaching for her left shoulder.

 

“Yes. And you probably know about this. There is no doubt that you are strong. But the recorded data says your right shoulder functions way better than your left, hindering your upper body movements. I also noticed it. You had a minor surgery on your left shoulder nearly a year ago and yet still haven’t recovered your usual strength.”

 

“I’ll be better, I swear. I will spend extra time training and exercising. I will be ready for next week’s pre-season match,” Wendy utters with determination yet Irene can see the goalie’s disappointment with her own progress or the lack thereof.

 

“No.”

 

“N–No?” Wendy stutters, her frown deepens.

 

Irene instantly clears her statement to wipe off the dejected look on Wendy’s face, “I mean, you don’t have to waste more time. Your current training regime is not working on you and we are going to change that. When I read your records, it is obvious that your past performance director and team doctor insisted on getting you ‘fixed’ instead of getting ‘healed’, prolonging your injury. You were back on the pitch too soon.”

 

“The team needed me. We were on the brink of being relegated again. I had to play,” Wendy defends herself as she pulls her knees closer and wraps her arms around them.

 

“Any player would say that. But it was their job to look after you and they have failed you. You wouldn’t be struggling now if they gave you proper time off.”

 

“Okay.” Wendy sighs. “Does that mean I am also going to miss next week’s game?”

 

“It depends on your progress. Coach has the final say but he usually listens to our advice if a player’s ready–,” Irene pauses, registering Wendy’s question. “What do you mean by ‘also’?”

 

“Canada has a camp and two friendlies lined up in two weeks during the international break. I am not part of the roster.” Wendy rubs her Olympic rings tattoo on her right wrist. “I am the only one who isn’t called up that won the gold last year. Steph is an exception since she retired early this year. I was lucky enough that I was part of the CONCACAF last month.”

 

Irene realizes then that is the reason why Wendy seems down the moment she appeared for today’s training. She knows how important every call-up is to footballers. It is an opportunity to step-up and show that you are worthy to be part of the national team. And for a goalkeeper like Wendy, the stakes are higher because her position is designated for only one person and it is really rare for a goalie to get subbed during an entire match.

 

Irene observes the woman before her. Wendy is resting her head above her folded knees, looking like a small kid when she is the opposite. She stands by what she calls Wendy in her head– she is a giant fluffball.

 

“Hey,” Irene softly calls her, sending a smile to Wendy. “Focus on getting better. Choose to be better. You will have your turn soon. Like what I said earlier, I have read your records, for both club and country. You hold the record of having the most clean sheets during your stint at Championship. Despite your injury, you had multiple important saves last season. Labbé may have outshined you in the international stage but you have a higher save percentage than her. I assure you, next time you rep your national team’s crest, you will be part of the starting lineup.”

 

Wendy’s eyes lit up, reciprocating with her own dimpled smile. “Yeah?”

 

“Yeah.” Irene nods. “I will bring this up to Fany unnie and to Nichkhun, as well as with our physiologist. We will help you, Wendy.”

 

“Thank you, Irene unnie.”

 

“If you are staying here during the international break and you wouldn’t have more important stuff to do, why don’t we meet and I will help you train? There are a bunch of training centers around the area.”

 

“Are you sure? I don’t want to take up your free time. I know how busy you all are with the adjustments you are doing for the team for the upcoming season.”

 

“I really don’t mind, Wendy.” Irene stands up from her seat. “So?”

 

“Okay, then. That’s actually a great idea. It will keep my mind off things.”

 

As Irene stands up, Wendy raises her arms, smiling cheekily at the older woman.

 

“What?”

 

“Help me?” Wendy pouts, her tone a little higher than usual. Irene blinks, processing in her mind what the goalkeeper just did. Was that an aegyo?

 

“Hey! I am too weak to pull you up.” Irene gestures to her entire figure. “Can’t you see I am like half of your size?”

 

“Unnie…” Wendy puckers her lower lip even more, Irene looking away instantly. I am not sure if I’d rather see her sad or acting like a cute kid.

 

It seems like Wendy doesn’t have any plans to stand up on her own, her arms still raised, waiting for Irene. The latter sighs, putting down her tablet and notes on the mini-stool. She grasps Wendy’s awaiting hands, squatting slightly to brace for the taller woman’s force.

 

And her effort doesn’t pay off.

 

Irene might be exaggerating earlier that she is only half of Wendy’s size but it is true that she is weak. The moment Wendy grips her hands and raises herself up, Irene loses her balance falling into the other woman’s strong arms, her face perfectly positioned under Wendy’s chin.

 

Irene has a keen sense of smell and even though the goalkeeper is sweating, Wendy’s natural scent doesn’t put her off. She can even smell a hint of baby powder on her. She can feel Wendy’s toned muscles yet her warm body makes Irene want to snuggle more.

 

“Oops. I am so sorry.” Wendy pulls away a bit but they remain close, the goalie looking down on Irene, concern written all over her face. “Are you okay? Did I hurt you? I tugged you too much. It is usually my teammates who pull me up and they can match my strength.”

 

“I–I am fine,” Irene stutters, glancing at Wendy. She spots the footballer’s blushing face. Good. I can’t be the only one uncomfortable here.

 

“Irene!” One of their coaching staff comes rushing in, the two immediately let go from each other’s hold, trying to act normal. Irene turns around to face the newcomer, sensing Wendy going across the room to grab her backpack.

 

“Tiffany needs the new data before our meeting. You weren’t answering her calls and messages.”

 

Irene gazes at her smartwatch, cursing when she sees the missed notifications plus she is almost late to their meeting. They finished on time but she didn’t realize that she spent more time talking to Wendy.

 

“Thanks for the reminder, Henry. Let me gather my things and I’ll head to the conference room.”

 

Henry fist bumps his fellow Canadian first before bidding them goodbye and leaving the room just as fast he went in.

 

Carrying her belongings, Irene shifts her attention to Wendy. “Thank you for your time, Wendy. I will bring up all your concerns to Fany unnie and coach. We’ll see you in two days.”

 

The goalkeeper smiles brightly. “I really appreciate your help, Irene unnie.”

 

“Just doing my job.”

 

They walk side-by-side to exit the gym when Wendy comments casually, “Thank you for asking me out.”

 

Irene stops in her tracks, her jaw wide open. What?

 

Registering that she is walking alone now, Wendy pivots her head to peek at her company, chuckling at Irene’s stupefied reaction. “You know, for offering to train me when it could be your only break before the season starts.”

 

Irene merely nods, pink hues blossoming on her cheeks. Wendy opens the door for Irene and they resume walking silently. Just when they are about to part ways, Wendy calls out her name.

 

“Irene.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’ll be the one asking you out next time.” Wendy grins then winks at her. “Bye, unnie!”

 

Irene doesn’t know how long she has been standing in the same spot until Tiffany’s voice snaps her out of her daze.

 

“Bae Joohyun!”

 

O-O-O

    3 (November)  

“I love my job. I love my job. I love my job,” Irene says under her breath, keeping her hands in her pockets.

 

The Dreamers are currently having a training match for their game against West Ham United tomorrow. It rained earlier this morning, the dull sky overcast. Light gusts of wind come every now and then, a typical English weather. Irene is weak to the cold. It is not even winter yet but she is already wearing multiple layers beneath her club windbreaker. The players do not mind the weather at all as their training warms their bodies.

 

“I can’t believe how much they improved within the last three months,” Tiffany utters from beside her, observing the footballers sprinting on the pitch.

 

“If you want praises, just say so,” Irene jokes, her voice shaking slightly due to the cold.

 

What Tiffany said is real though. This is the strongest the team has been in years. All players are healthy. If there are names in the injury list, it is merely because of a little knock from playing too hard, nothing too serious. Next thing you know, they’d be ready for the next match.

 

Along with their colleagues, they take pride in what they are doing– optimally planning and delivering the club’s training program in preparation for every game. The team’s improvement is evident in their performance, sitting constantly on the first half of the table, never placing below sixth.

 

Tiffany scoffs, crossing her arms, stating sassily in her valley girl accent, “I don’t want praise. I need a raise.”

 

“Damn right.” Irene nods fiercely, agreeing 100% with the older woman.

 

Just because their title is fancy doesn’t mean they are paid equally like their male counterparts. Especially that Rêve took the risk to be the first of the few women’s teams to have their own performance-centric directors, testing the waters if they could really help develop the women’s game. Gender pay gap in sports is not only for the athletes, it also happens behind the scenes.

 

“Play on!” They catch their coach’s instruction and set aside their talk to focus on the footballers’ performance.

 

Katy, one of their forwards and a British royalty, dashes and effortlessly avoids the incoming players trying to get the ball from her.

 

“Delay! Delay!” Wendy’s booming voice echoes.

 

Irene sets her eyes on Wendy who is standing by the goal post, shouting commands to her backline. The goalkeeper did not play in any pre-season matches as advised by Tiffany and their medical staff. Wendy did not take it offensively and trusted them. She eagerly trained with the guidance of their staff. Roseanne and Karina started the first few games they had this season in Wendy’s place. Eventually, she got her form back, better even. Several matches later, Wendy returned to being Rêve’s savior. Plus, she got called-up again in the national team.

 

Katy strikes the ball in hopes of finding the back of the net but Wendy stops it by punching it out of the goal, miscalculating the force she used as Katy’s shot is intense.

 

If this is a real match, they would be celebrating on the sidelines after that beautiful save.

 

If this is a real match, there would be ball boys or ball girls waiting on the edge of the field to bring the ball back into play and keep the momentum of the game.

 

If this is a real match, Irene would be hanging around the technical area with a roof over her head as she keeps track of the players’ stats on her tablet, relaying significant details to Tiffany and their coach.

 

If this is a real match, Irene wouldn’t be standing near the pitch and she would be out of the way.

 

As of this moment, Irene fails to comprehend quickly that the ball is flying in her direction. She reacts too late, missing to duck her head down and the ball coming in contact with her forehead.

 

“Oh !”

 

“That looks like it hurts.”

 

“That happened to me once because of Wendy and I felt my head spinning.”

 

Tiffany immediately asks her assistant, “Are you okay? What are you feeling?”

 

Irene rubs her forehead, a bit disoriented. “I am fine. I just need to sit down for a while.”

 

Tiffany guides her and lets her sit on top of the beverage cooler after getting out a chilled bottle to put it on Irene’s forehead, the latter flinching from the sudden sensation.

 

“Unnie!” Wendy runs towards the pair while hurriedly removing her gloves, dropping them on the ground by Irene’s side. “How can I help?”

 

Tiffany raises a brow at the sudden appearance of the goalkeeper and questions her, “Did coach allow you to stop playing?”

 

“Yes! Rosie subbed in for me. Training’s almost done anyway.”

 

“I am fine, Wan,” Irene softly tells the taller woman, using her Korean nickname to ease her worries.

 

They have become friends outside professional settings ever since Irene individually trained her back in August. Irene generally finds it difficult to befriend someone new due to her introverted personality. It doesn’t help that she can barely hold a conversation that is not about sports or something in common. With Wendy being an athlete and a natural chatterbox, Irene cannot help but connect with the goalkeeper.

 

“I am so sorry, Joohyun unnie.”

 

“Accident happens. Don’t feel guilty about it.”

 

Tiffany clears , interrupting the two. “Why don’t you look after her, Wendy? I will just call Jackson to get Irene checked at,” she mentions the name of their team doctor.

 

Wendy bobs her right away, gently grabbing the bottle from Tiffany’s hand, the performance director leaving them. Wendy takes a knee in front of Irene, sighing when spots the red patch on her forehead. She tenderly presses the bottle on it, hoping to alleviate the pain she caused.

 

“This is nothing, Wendy.”

 

“I am still sorry.”

 

“You don’t rush to someone off the pitch during an actual match if you accidentally hit them, right?” Irene playfully jibes, snatching the cold drink from Wendy’s grasp, getting conscious of how close they are to each other.

 

“I’d stop playing anytime if it were you,” Wendy confidently remarks, beaming when she sees Irene’s entire face turning to the same color as her forehead.

 

“Shush, Wendy!” Irene reaches for one of the goalie’s discarded gloves and throws it to its owner, Wendy expertly catching it while laughing.

 

Knowing Wendy for a few months now, Irene figured out later on that it is Wendy’s habit to smoothly drop off comments like that when it gets too uncomfortable, always wanting to break the tension.

 

Now that the situation has lightened, Wendy adds with a joke, “You could have avoided that ball, you know? You are not a footballer to just go and execute a header.”

 

Irene rolls her eyes, hiding the fact that she actually didn’t see it coming because she was busy ogling the goalkeeper. She defends herself instead, “Don’t underestimate me, Seungwan. I learned when I was in middle school. I am in the right shape and I play occasionally with my best friend back home when she wants to spend extra time training.”

 

“Is your friend a pro?”

 

It is now Irene’s turn to grin. This topic hasn’t come up yet as it is usually Wendy who shares stories and Irene is the one listening.

 

“Yes. I am sure you are familiar with her.”

 

“Oh. What’s her name?”

 

“Seulgi. Kang Seulgi,” Irene answers, her smile broadening when the taller woman gives her the reaction she expected– eyes wide, agape.

 

“No way!”

 

“She said the same thing when I told her I would be moving here. She felt…hmmm, betrayed, was the word she used.”

 

“That was valid! You know how we are all about love here in this sport, especially in the women’s game. That final match against Liverpool two seasons ago shifted that for us. We became instant rivals. They were lucky I was away and did not suit up against them earlier this season. I can still remember the scuffle clearly in my head.” Wendy groans, wiggling her shoulders to shake away the memory. “Your best friend broke my nose.”

 

“Because they should have given a penalty kick, all thanks to the referee who missed the handball.”

 

“I was prepared for that but the officials told me to continue the match with a goal kick.”

 

“And you were rewarded with a broken nose,” Irene adds.

 

“Courtesy of Kang. She challenged me, aiming for the ball yet hit me in my face. ” Wendy rolls her eyes, complaining boldly, “She should have been ejected. Instead, she got a yellow along with Katy who shouted at the referee for that unfair decision.”

 

Irene smirks, teasing the goalie before her, “Bad referee call, I know. But they would have won the game if they had the penalty.”

 

“Excuse me?” Wendy places her hand on her chest, obviously offended by Irene’s statement, “I would be able to save that.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Wendy only replies with a huff. Irene cackles loudly, noticing how the footballer lowly grumbles as she keep

Please log in to read the full chapter