long time no see

Close the door

She couldn't believe she was there, finally. The brunnete couldn't believe the decision was made because of some insomnia and some late night thoughts that came with some anxiety, mixture with a little bit of fear of rejection, that took her where she is now.

But the older girl got some courage. Well she was there after all.

It was a special place because there, someone she loved in a long time ago worked exactly where Joohyun was staring at.

It was a tattoo parlour, she was so happy that her best friend finally made her dreams come true. And now, Irene would greet her like it was nothing. Like the time they spent separately didn't happened, and the events before those 5 years weren't a thing and everything was fine.

 

Wendy and Irene were best friends since high school. They’ve met when Wendy was introduced as the foreign student of the class, at the time she needed someone, a guide, a friend to teach her more about the Korean culture, that’s when Joohyun came in the picture.

Between mornings with studying and afternoons walks by the park. Seungwan learned a lot about the school's system and the respect that comes with the different age and work experience.

Irene would also learn how to appreciate those times. For an example, sometimes she would give a smile filled with warmth and her gaze set on the younger girl so she can watch her struggle, endearingly for a while just to remember what was taught, with furrowed eyebrows and pursued lips she would exclaim gladly for getting the answer right.

And when she got it wrong, she didn’t just pout.

Firstly the blonde gave a surprised look and an “O” shaped mouth when explained what was the mistake. At that moment, Irene stares more at her oh-so-red lips and wonder...just wonder...

"God, unnie. I know it's ok if I make a mistake but you have no idea how happy I am when I get an answer right." The younger says with a satisfied sigh.

She snaps out of her trance and recovers, yes they were studying something. What was it again? Anyways, she forgot and starts to get nervous, she decides to smile.

So, with a smirk, the brunette comments

"Oh well,” she clears up “I can see that, and you don't need to worry you are doing very fine actually. Let's take a break now how about that? Grab some food and I don't know...have a walk?" She gives a shy smile when finishing the sentence, hoping to not feel like a push over.

"Yeah. That sounds good unnie, come on." The blonde girl gets up and extends her arm.

Irene looks at her hands for awhile. Finally she has the conscience to look around and guess. They were in a library, of course.

 

When it was a series of blissfully moments that started with colliding arms, stolen glances, laying its head on the other’s shoulder or holding hands with their enterwined fingers. In the end, they would enjoy the small period of time left for each other.

It was small and it started to get frustrating for both of them, having such busy schedules, but weird, after all, how both were so filled with activities.

 Maybe a mere coincidence or feeling so overwhelmed with being just the two of them all the time, at all places...or maybe... just maybe...some odd feelings that needed to be ignored.

Seungwan had come to question how the avoiding period had started, but it was too soon to be so forward.

In the mean time she decided to ask for her other soulmate.

 

The bell rings inside the parlour when an unexpected visitor enters. The walls are painted black and white with neon lights on the corner of the walls.

Joohyun doesn't pay too much attention but she concluded that it was the waiting room.

"Unnie!" the woman behind the counter exclaims.

"Hey Seulgi.” The brunnete tries to muster some confidence to fake how nervous she is at the moment. “Long time no see huh?"

 

The two are eating ice cream sitting on a bench after having some take out food in Irene's house. They knew they would have that promised walk later.

 It was a gloomy windy day with a cold weather, perfect for being inside the houses tucked in  bed. But that’s just how Wendy and Irene were. They couldn’t get enough of just talking, the feeling of each other’s presence was actually way better than being isolated at home.

"What do you wanna do in the future, Seungwan-ah?"

The blonde thinks for a bit.

"Hm, I don't know" she awkwardly laughs "Why the question so suddenly?"

Joohyun also thinks for some time before answering.

"Just want to get to know you more. I mean I think right know you are my only friend."

"If Yeri hears this she will be heartbroken, unnie" the younger girl jokes and giggles for a bit.

"No! Don’t you dare tell her this!” she pauses

“But I feel that she is more than a friend more like a little sister to me, and now I would like to have a best friend." She concludes with a warm smile.

"Hm" the blonde murmurs "I think I wanna be an artist"

"What?"

"You asked me what I wanna become in the future, right? That's it.” She looks at the gray sky with a confident smirk.

 “I want to do anything that involves art. I enjoy singing and drawing, maybe both of these things can be part of my future. Also, I want unnie to be there you know, I don't see myself without you in the future days."

That last sentence is thrown in the air like nothing, and for Irene, everything stops for barely five long seconds.

Trying to come up with a good answer to not break the mood. "God, you are greasy." The older girl snorts and blushes sensing how red her ears are right now. "If you continue to be like this I don't if I'm gonna still be your friend." She adds.

"It's good seeing you blush, unnie. Seriously, you should've seen your face." She barks a laugh for a moment. And the wind blows, the mood of playful banter stops. And someone needs to speak.

Seungwan diverts her gaze on the ground afraid of looking at Joohyun.

"But hey, I'm being serious now. Will you be there for me?"

Seungwan finishes with that smile. And it got something in there. Butterflies in the stomach is just a very little feeling compared to this.

Joohyun smiles inwardly knowing how both of them are so emotional and sensitive. But they never make fun of that, they share the same insecurities and they don’t downplay each other.

For Joohyun, that ‘knowing thing’ is another language of intimacy.

Like, yeah I know how you are feeling because I felt it too. It was their thing. Maybe it isn’t deeper than that, but with Seungwan, every word, sentence, gesture has some complex meaning behind it.

"Of course, Seungwan-ah, you are my friend." She squeezes her cold hands that were once holding the ice cream cup, trying to grasp that warmth. The blonde's eyebrows furrow. She knows how sensitive the older girl gets for cold things.

"Finish that ice cream, we need you to get you warmed up, unnie" she gives an affectionate smile.