Final

Bread for Dinner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bae Joohyun thinks a diet filled with salads and fruits alone isn’t sufficient. 

 

Carbohydrates are essential.

 

But when Son Seungwan received a few Pokemon bread from fans and calls them a full meal one evening, Joohyun panics.

 

The older girl was talking about rice, rice that makes every meal a full one!

 

The two girls had settled down at the dining table, the younger girl whom just returned from her radio show not too long ago. 

 

It was almost 11, and just when Irene was about to grow impatient from all the waiting, the sound of Son Seungwan’s loud thanks and goodbyes along the hallways just outside their apartment caught her attention. 

 

Irene had rushed for the door immediately to welcome Wendy home and helped her with all the loose items that Wendy had somehow managed to carry in her tiny arms.

 

The older girl had taken a quick glance earlier; flowers, letters, plushies, more flowers, breads, and a bag of grocery filled with mostly fruits, nothing out of the norm surprises her anymore.

 

However, when Wendy had washed up and finally settles down right where they are now for dinner, Irene couldn’t help but question the younger girl’s life choices. 

 

It wasn’t so much about Wendy choosing to take dinner at midnight.

 

Because it happens. Breakfast at 3AM isn’t new either considering the many times Red Velvet would be prerecording for their comeback stages at such ungodly hour or be preparing to leave for the salon before heading to the airport for an early morning flight. 

 

It was more about the 5 bags of bread in colourful packaging on the table with adorable Gen 1 Pokemon plastered all over it. 

 

“Seungwan-ah, when you told me you’ve got food on the way back and declined my offer to cook you dinner, you’re talking about this?”

 

Irene quirk her eyebrows as she picks up a bag, turning all around and inspecting it carefully.

 

“This is your dinner?”, the older girl lifts it further to Wendy’s face, all while shooting a look of disapproval.

 

Wendy smiles back cheekily, her eyes forming crescents as she snatched away the Pokemon bread from Irene and pops the back open. 

 

Irene chuckles as she watches Wendy pulls the bag towards her nose and begins sniffing. Of all the bad habits they shared, this was one she could relate to, yet find it in her the urge to poke fun at Wendy every time she begins smelling just about everything. After all, Wendy makes fun of Irene who sniffs around too.

 

“Yah! Are you a puppy?!” 

 

Irene reached out to give the younger girl a soft poke on the nose before grabbing the opened bag back to smell as well. 

 

“You’re one too unnie!”, Wendy laughs. 

 

“Besides, it smells great! I wonder if it’s they’re all the same flavour.” 

 

The younger girl states before opening up another bag.

 

“Hey, take this back. 2 pieces of bread is enough, I’ll cook you some noodles too, I’ll add an egg and some luncheon meat!”

 

Irene immediate returns the bag of bread, think the bread alone won’t suffice. In the meantime, the 1 or 2 piece of bread could fill Wendy’s empty stomach while she cooks her a hot bowl of ramen. It won’t take too long anyway. 

 

“No need Joohyun unnie!”

 

The younger girl immediately stops Irene in her tracks by catching her unnie by the arms tenderly just when Irene was about to leave for the kitchen.

 

Irene scoffs in disbelief as her eyes met Wendy’s determined ones. 

 

“Really? You’re really going to just settle for 5 pieces of bread for dinner?”

 

“I’ll share with you unnie!”

 

“T-that’s not enough for you!”, Irene frowns as she sits back onto the chair in defeat. 

 

How could 5 pieces of bread suffice? It’d work for breakfast, probably as a snack like during teatime in between meals. But definitely not for lunch or dinner. 

 

It does not even look big enough to be filling in the first place. Maybe if Wendy had a small appetite buy Irene knows the younger girl’s last meal was breakfast - meaning Wendy had skipped lunch too. And I too if everything, just having bread for dinner just isn’t nutritious enough. 

 

“You know I’m already against your salads and fruit diet right?”

 

“But I hav-“

 

“You can’t convince me even if your sales are filled with fish and meat. Your keto kimbaps too.”

 

“I had duck the other day with -“

 

“Wannie, those are to go with rice. What you’re having are what I’d call sides only.”

 

Irene pinches the bridge of her nose as she explains. Wendy knew this was one fight she wouldn’t win. 

 

“It’s just for tonight! The bread! I really wanna see if I get a Pikachu!”, Wendy whines. 

 

Irene thinks it’s unfair, it hits all her weak spots and just like that the tables have turned. 

 

This was so Son Seungwan. Kid who’d try eating silica gel, shave her tongue, eat marbles. Right now? Stuff her face with bread for dinner at midnight just so she could test her luck at pulling a Pikachu sticker. 

 

Irene watches on as Wendy opens all the packets of Pokemon Bread and removes the contents. Separating the bread and stickers. 

 

Sometimes, Irene wonders what goes on in Wendy’s little head. It’s like the girl’s in a whole different plane. Irene thinks there might be a better chance at lottery than trying ones luck at pulling a rare Pikachu sticker. It’s just the usual marketing and companies capitalising on the public jumping into bandwagons and trends like this. 

 

Truth be told, Irene was a victim too. But she learned her lesson early. The older girl had secretly bought a total of 20 Pokemon bread since launch, but when every pull was the same repeating stickers that were all too common - Irene quickly stopped. 

 

And she was right to do so, at least she was proven right as she watches Wendy put the stickers aside, probably to build up suspense because it’s better to save what’s best for the end? Like leaving the best piece of chocolate for the end? The expensive piece of sushi in a platter for the end? Like going for the fruits in a bento first and saving the expensive meats for later!

 

Irene watches as Wendy picks up the first piece of bread and pulling it apart so it turns into two halves. The younger girl then offers Irene one half before biting into her own half. 

 

Once again, Irene could believe Wendy’s just having bread for dinner. 

 

The older girl takes a bite of the bread she was given before leaving the dining table, only to returned shortly with a few bottles of banana milk and jars of various jam and Wendy’s favourite Nutella. 

 

“This is for you”, Irene exclaims as she puts the last bottle on the table and pushes it towards the new self-proclaimed Pokemon trainer attempting to “Catch them all”. 

 

Spoiled for choice by such a thoughtful unnie, Wendy expresses her thanks towards Irene profusely and offers another bread that the older girl politely declined. 

 

Seungwan being the warm-hearted kiddo she is, would either stuff her face with bread in one sitting just so she could go through her stickers to see if she pulled a Pikachu. Or she’d feed an entire village with those bread, settling for just stickers and an empty stomach. 

 

“You eat. Let me know if you’re still hungry, I’ll cook fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter