The Meet Cute

Will you let me be your pilot?
Please log in to read the full chapter

May 2021

Mina dragged a whining Yeonjae on the street. "Mina, I was in the middle of my beauty sleep when you barged into my apartment. I get it that you want to have brunch together but this is too much of a surprise? Thank goodness you helped to make me look presentable but more shut eye would be good." Yeonjae looked down at her yellow sunflower dress that she had bought on a whim but never worn before and Mina insisted that she wear it this morning.

"Sorry, it was rather last minute that Mark and I decided on brunch, and since you've been resting for a couple of days already we thought why not bring you out for brunch today, and maybe a walk around the park after? This cafe was set up by Mark's younger friends from his uni days and I think you'll really enjoy yourself today. Besides, I should let you know, that while I find Mark extremely handsome, if not the most handsome, his friends make for legit eye candy. You should see the amount of giggly star eyed girls they draw in from the nearby universities and high schools." Mina winked cheekily at Yeonjae when she said this. 

Yeonjae rolled her eyes in laughter, huffed, but decided to embrace the spontaneity and skipped along with Mina to the cafe. After all, she was on a break. What better way to make the most of it while she could, and good eye candy is an added bonus. She delivered her projects earlier than expected, and as a reward, her boss decided to give her an extra week's break from all the long hours she pulled. 

The bell at the door of 7 Dream cafe rang as Mina and Yeonjae walked in. "Mina Nuna~! You're here!! We've missed you, I've missed you!" A good looking guy with a bright smile ran at Mina and engulfed her in a hug. "Oof! Yes Jaemin I've missed you too, but you'll need to let go of me soon I can see Jeno coming to pry you off me!" Yeonjae stood to the side awkwardly as another taller guy with the prettiest eye smile walked over to Mina and started dragging Jaemin away from Mina, muttering his string of apologies to her. Due to her busy schedules, she had not met any of Mark's friends previously and had only spent time solely with Mina and occassionally Mark when she came back. 

"Jeno, Jaemin, I'd like you to meet Yeonjae. We've been best friends for years but she's always been too busy working and jetsetting off elsewhere. I've brought her here today to meet all of you so please treat her nicely." Yeonjae bowed, waved, and smiled at the two friends, "It's nice to meet you both." 

Jaemin winked, "Anything for you and your pretty friend Mina Nuna. What a coincidence you've also brought your friend here today. Mark hyung dragged Jaehyun hyung through the door as well earlier. He's on a break from work so Mark brought him here. They're just behind the coffee machine at moment making coffees at the moment while waiting for you." 

Mina got flustered at Jaemin's statement and looked nervously at Yeonjae, "Oh really??!! I didn't know that! What a lovely coincidence, lets go say hi!" Thankfully Yeonjae was too distracted looking at the beautiful pastries on offer and did not notice a flustered Mina looking around. 

Yeonjae felt Mina grab her hand and pull her to the coffee machine. "Mark, babe, Jaehyun oppa, we're here! Sorry we're a little late, hope you weren't waiting too long." Two heads were seen behind the coffee machine. One of it popped up and it was Mark excitedly greeting Mina and Yeonjae but she took no notice. She was too busy staring at the other head next to Mark pouring milk into the coffee cup with his white sleeves up to his elbows and his brows furrowed in concentration.

When he was happy with the pour he looked up, flashed a smile and his dimples and Yeonjae swore she would have swooned there and then if Mina had not shook her. "Earth to Yeonjae! I hope you're not sleeping with your eyes open! Mark has been saying hi for the past 30 seconds." 

Yeonjae shook her head and looked at Mark as he was moving out of the counter. "Hi Mark, my apologies, I was a little distracted - " "You could say that~" Mina mumbled. Yeonjae shot her a glare. "It's good to see you Mark, it's been too long. Mina hogs me all the time when I am back saying she wants all my attention to herself and not share it with you haha. How are you?" Mark hugged her and gestured to Jaehyun, "This is my friend Jaehyun. He's on a break from work as well. Jaehyun hyung this is Mina's friend Yeonjae." Yeonjae smiled at Jaehyun, "It's nice to meet you." Jaehyun flashed another dimpled smile and Yeonjae had to suppress herself from giving away a blush, "Likewise, nice to meet you too. I've been friends with Mark for so long and have heard about you from Mina in passing but we have yet to meet." 

"Hyung, it's because both of you are always not around and the timings don't match. Anyways, let us finish making the coffees, How about you girls go grab a table  and we'll come join you shortly." He winked as he pushed Mina and Yeonjae to a round table near the window. Yeonjae looked around appreciatively. Off white and sky blue paint with french windows and fresh flowers have never failed to brighten up a space. 

Mina winked and nudged her, "What do you think?". Yeonjae feigned innocence, "The decor is nice, white and blue, bright and airy and fresh flowers. The owners sure know how to make it an inviting space for their customers." 

"Sure I was talking about the decor. Let me be more direct then. What did you think of the face of the person you were staring at for 10 seconds?" Yeonjae blushed at that statement and immediately opened up the cafe menu and pretended to examine it carefully while Mina continued snickering. 

"Well hyung, what do you think?" Mark was washing his hands and removing his apron. "Yeah she's pretty." Jaehyun looked at Mark with his eyebrows raised and folded his arms. Mark raised his brows, winked and said "Well I was talking about the coffee making process since you drink so much coffee but sure, I agree, Yeonjae is pretty, and she's pretty single as well~" 

"Really, Mark? Are you expecting me to believe you that both Mina and yourself coincidentall

Please log in to read the full chapter