Misery

Ruins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi didn't know where she was going.

 

This could have started from about two years ago, when the flames touched the tips of her fingers for the first time and the fire traveled from her hair to the tips of her toes. Or maybe when it was a cold night when she was with her friends, and it wasn't until they all took a different path that Eunbi realized that she had nowhere to go. 

 

Lost, alone and almost abandoned, that was how the young woman felt for a long time. Since she was gone.

 

Her fingers didn't have that warmth in them that Yuna always mentioned, being frozen and red instead. Her lips trembled and her teeth clashed against each other with the force of the high temperatures, and Eunbi didn't know where to go.

 

Eunbi had no one waiting for her at home, no home with her name on it. The situation made her know that calling someone was nothing more than a nuisance and a pointless waste of time, her back hurt and her neck was so tense that she could barely turn around. Eunbi just kept walking.

 

Because she hadn't felt complete for so long, she didn't feel like the little Eunbi who caused problems and always had an open house with warm food and loving parents waiting for her daughter. Because they had disappeared, so, so long ago, leaving her alone in the middle of a world that was so big for her; filled with bad people and endless dangers that were out to catch her if it weren't for the other five girls who promised not to leave her side too.

 

Eunbi knew it had all been a lie.

 

From when the fire engulfed her and her hair turned even darker than before to when Yerin took her hand and told her that she had loved her since they were kids, there was always a danger lurking around her and it had never gone away. The powers, the butterfly, the lake.

 

It had all been a trap.

 

And it had all started with Eunha.

 

She hadn't known it at the time but that little Eunbi wanted to play with her new neighbor was just the beginning of a long and tragic story that was still going on. The beginning of chapters filled with questions, sadness and hatred that would become the worst of each one's life.

 

And it had all been because of Eunha.

 

Eunbi always believed herself to be strong, with the ability to survive any heartbreak and step on anyone who wanted to mess with her. Eunbi thought she was strong when she burned Yuna's flowers out of pure envy, she thought she was strong when Yerin cried in front of her for the first time, she thought she was strong when her parents died in that accident, she thought she was strong when she fell and her knees were so damaged that there was blood everywhere.

 

She thought she was strong when Eunha disappeared, she thought she was strong when she started looking for her after everyone had given up.

 

Because months had passed, and Eunha still hadn't come back.

 

And Eunbi doubted she would.

 

She had spent day and night walking the flat roads and plains of the village, even going beyond the lake and the bridge where they had run off to several times. She had walked through a different town and through the middle of the forest, whispering the name of her friend as if it were a secret mantra, waiting for the older one to appear with a smile and open arms. 

 

It didn't matter how many miles she had walked, or how bad the pain in her legs was; finding Eunha was all she wanted.

 

And she never managed to do it.

 

Eunbi thought she was strong when she arrived to another city one day, asking for the short, black-haired girl with the melodious voice and her favorite smile who had abandoned her in the middle of a September night. She thought she was strong when Yuna yelled at her that Eunha would never come back.

 

Eunbi wasn't strong, she had just had Eunha by her side for too long.

 

Eunbi hadn't been strong in any way when one of her neighbors told her that she looked too much like that missing girl because of her black hair. Eunbi hadn't been strong when she looked at herself in the mirror and dyed her hair the furthest color from black because she looked too much like Eunha. Because Sojung couldn't look into her eyes without thinking of the girl she loved and still wanted there with her. Because Eunbi was too much like Eunha, and it had never been as noticeable as it was now.

 

Eunbi had never been strong.

 

Her feet take her to that street in the center of town, where one house is much larger than the others. Where two people who share the same pain as her live. Maybe.

 

Sojung and Yewon's house.

 

Eunbi swore she wouldn't talk to any of her friends until Eunha came back. After all, all they could give her were gloomy looks and awkward silences when Eunbi assured them that her unnie would come back even after a month and a half had passed. And Eunbi didn't need that, not when she already had such a hard time thinking about something other than disappearances, flames and despair.

 

So, wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter