Maybe Someday

Maybe Someday
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Why did your parents ask when we're gonna date each other?"

 

Bora and Minji are in the winter carnival, which isn't far from Minji's house. They finished Christmas dinner together. They've been good friends for years, so it's not strange that Bora is having dinner with Minji's parents. Bora already considers Minji's parents like her own.

 

"Ignore them. They kept asking me that for a long time ago." Minji says as she pulls Bora closer before some people who don’t use their eyes bump into her and curse them silently after they walk past them.

 

"Yeah?" Bora furrowed her brows. "That's funny."

 

Minji only responds with a half-smile as the word funny comes out from Bora. It is not the first time her parents are pushing their agenda, and Minji is tired of telling them that they're just friends. Minji did the best to act casually with Bora, but maybe she underestimated her parents' observation skills. Or perhaps they love Bora very much. Minji even thinks her parents will stop asking about it only if Bora is married.

 

"Yeah, right."

 

Minji is looking up to see the giant wheel with colorful carts spinning while Bora takes time to check her phone, obviously replying to something but still keeping her arm linked to Minji’s. A group of students behind them plays rock paper scissors to choose the pairs. It makes her recall her high school days and how seven of them always decided anything with the same method. Minji and Bora often ended up together, sharing something sweet or doing stupid things together. The memories bring a smile to Minji. How many nights have they spent with each other until now? Minji loses count. Bora is in half of her life.

 

It's their turn to step in, and they take place facing each other. Bora puts her phone in her bag when the Ferris wheel starts to spin. The girl begins pointing to some spots down there when they're already high enough, guessing what building is that, what area is that. Her eyes are reflecting lights from below; it’s glowing. Like all the constellations decides to move into Bora's eyes. And for Minji, those are the most beautiful eyes she has ever seen.

 

Bora shouts, surprising Minji first before she realizes the reason behind it. The Ferris wheel stops, and the lights around them are dead. Their cart is swaying. It is frightening because they're almost at the very top. People in another cart are yelling because now they're stuck, hanging far from the ground. And someone from down there was screaming about electricity problems and asking them to wait calmly.

 

"I guess we'll be up here for a while."

 

Minji says to Bora, who finally relaxes in her seat. Despite her tiny frame, Bora is the strongest and the bravest person she knows. If there's something that can scare her off, it's a horror movie. It's funny because Bora almost punched one idiot back then in PE class to stand up for one loner in their class. Bora couldn’t stop thinking about that girl who was constantly getting bullied by that jerk and decided to stop being a bystander the next day. Minji always tells the tale to their new friends as a form of pride.

 

"What was your answer to them?"

 

It makes Minji perks up. "Huh?"

 

"Your parents." It’s bright enough for Minji to see her friend’s gaze remain on the city below them (or maybe because Minji remembers every curve of it). "When they asked you about us, dating."

 

The imagination about their dating makes Minji shift in her seat, knowing what she will be saying is hurting herself.

 

"What else can I say? We're best friends. Besides, you know my type."

 

There goes the biggest lie she ever says. It's impossible not to like this woman. She watches how her tiny friend grows, and she can’t help but think that God isn't fair enough when He made Bora. Minji understands well why boys are chasing her, and even girls want to be her.

 

And Minji? Minji is just someone with not enough gut to tell her the truth.

 

"Wait?" After a few seconds, Bora turns her head and gives Minji a disbelief look, "Should I feel offended?"

 

Minji wants to say you shouldn’t, but she shrugs her shoulders instead and averts her stare to look back at the view. It's another sight she will miss half to death. The neighborhood where she grows up, the familiar streets and alleys, all her favorite restaurants, cafes, and this winter carnival she visits almost every year.

 

Minji glances at Bora, who's pressing her palm against the glass. The eyes that were shining now were not as bright as before.

 

"I'm gonna miss you," Bora breaks the silence with her unusual smile.

 

It might be the right time for Minji to say that they still could be best friends despite the distance. She could say there's an invented technology called video call these days. Or she could even make a joke about it. Name it a long-distance friendship and call Bora stupid because they will stay the same. But these weird lumps in could only manage to say, "Me too, Bora."

 

Then Minji remembers her plane ticket tucked in the middle of the passport inside her bag. She remembers the silver luggage she hasn't locked yet in her room. She remembers how many things she wished to bring along, but she couldn't. And she hates the fact that these heavy suffocated feelings for her best friend are one of them.

 

Even these stupid swaying carts couldn't beat the restless feeling in her heart. It's been bugging her for a long time because it's always there, no matter how many times she tries to push it to the corner or look for a replacement. There's an undeniable urge in her heart to tell Bora because she realizes the future will change them somehow. People change.

 

"I lied."

 

It catches Bora off guard, "What? You're not going to miss me?"

 

Minji bits her lips while staring in the other direction, gathering her courage here and now. The start is already out, and she needs to finish.

 

"No, no. Not that one." Minji waves her hand in the air, knowing there won't be any moment she doesn't miss her best friend. "I mean, I lied to my mom and dad. And you."

 

"What- why? What are you talking about?"

 

"The truth is," Minji takes a deep breath, bracing herself for the impact. "I do have feelings for you."

 

Bora's eyes widened, her finger pointing to herself. "Me?"

 

Minji nods, trying to flash her casual smile; even what will happen is an absolute blur. It's scary.

 

"I like you, Bora. I thought it was just a stupid crush or something, but no, I’m in love with you."

 

Bora stares with her lips open then closed. Silence fills the cart, but Minji's heart is screaming. Minji knows where this all leads, so she looks away. She doesn't want to show her sadness.

 

Not now, not to Bora.

 

"You- you don't have to say anything. I know you only see me as your friend, and you don't even swing that way. It's okay. I just need to get this out of my chest," Minji exhales, "since I'm moving tomorrow." the last one coming in a quiet voice.

 

Is she finally okay? Yes, one burden in their friendship is gone, but they might not be the same on the other side. The ominous possibility always comes first, and she cannot wipe it from her mind.

 

"Minji, I-"

 

Minji gingerly puts her hand on Bora

Please log in to read the full chapter