Chapter 9

That Kind Of Love

Wheein slept over at Yongsun’s house. She woke up slowly to the chirping birds and found herself embraced by strong arms around her waist. She turned over and Yongsun was snoring softly. The older woman cuddled Wheein closer.

Wheein smiled as she gently caressed Yongsun’s cheeks with the back of her left hand. Yongsun has etched deeply in her heart. She kept falling and almost alarmed at the rate of her heart missing this older woman whenever she wasn’t around. Yongsun’s presence becomes important to her.

Just then, Yongsun leaned closer and pouted her lips; Wheein chuckled softly before kissing Yongsun tenderly on her lips. The older woman immediately grinned with her eyes closed shut.

“Enjoying your morning huh?”

“Of course! I’m hugging the one person I love so dearly and the one girl I want to spend my whole lifetime with.”

Wheein sighed softly.  She cupped Yongsun’s cheeks gently.

“What are you doing to me, Unnie?”

Wheein whispered as Yongsun slowly opened her eyes. They were staring at each other; that tender gaze revealed many emotions which Wheein would protect and keep in her heart.

“I don’t know. But I know you’re making me feel many different things. I cannot function without you. I must text you. I must hear your voice. I must see you. If not, my days will never be complete, and my nights will be lonely.”

“I feel the same. It is alarming to know that without your presence, my life is just so mundane. It’s like I need your presence to start my day.”

“So, is it time for us to embrace this emotion and just free-falling in love with one another? I need you. You need me. I just wish you’ll always be with me wherever I go.”

“I want you, Unnie.”

“I want you too, Wheein.”

“Then let’s love. Let’s be together through all the good and bad that we might face in the future.  I want to be your girlfriend.”

Yongsun teared up instantly as she smiled widely. She gently pushed Wheein on her back and hovered above the younger woman. They just kept staring; deep into each other’s gazes. Then with a kiss sealed and their hearts exploded.

Love has finally begun for the two of them.

-

Moonbyul was having a terrible hangover. She stayed up drinking with Irene and crashed over. Wendy had a shock of her life when she saw a dead woman in her living room.

“I’m sorry, Wendy. I drank too much and got really wasted.”

“It’s fine. I should have the lights. But are you feeling better now? Irene is making soup for your hangover. Wash up and see you in the kitchen.”

Wendy passed a towel and new set of clothes for change. She left Moonbyul in the room and joined her girlfriend in the kitchen. Moonbyul was disoriented and dishevelled. Everything was such a blur. But she remembered talking about Yongsun.

Yongsun!

Moonbyul quickly grabbed her phone. She had left voice messages and text messages, but nothing was replied. The messages were not read either. She started frowning away.

Where the hell is this woman?

Just then, Irene walked in with a tray of food and some medication. She rolled her eyes when she realized Moonbyul was still in her sleepy stupor. She nudged the woman gently.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, it’s just that my head keeps spinning.”

“Then lie down for a bit more.”

“You carried me to the room?”

“Wendy did. You scared the out of her. She thought you were dead.”

Moonbyul smirked before staring back at her phone. Irene knew what she was thinking.

“Yong is in New York. She will only return 2 days later.”

“She didn’t response to my messages.”

“She might be busy.”

“She used to reply each time I texted her. Whether it was late or early on her side of the world.”

Irene felt sorry for her friend.

“You must be right. That girl must have meant something more than just a fling.”

“I saw her changes. She has always been smiling so much. She’s even friendly to the people in the office. They welcome her friendliness though, but I could sense that this girl is making Yongsun happy in many different ways.”

“Then why isn’t she introducing this girl to me?”

“She must have reasons not to do so.”

“Am I not important to her anymore?”

“I don’t think it’s to that extend. She must have reasons.”

“Or she just doesn’t want to hurt me.”

“Byul ah, its either you talk to her and move on or you will just suffer for the rest of your life. She may not understand fully the extent of your heart. Talk to her soon, okay?”

Irene pulled Moonbyul closer and hugged her tightly.

-

Lee Jung was preparing breakfast for her family for the first time in her life. Her mothers were surprised and her youngest sister was sniggering behind the kitchen counter.

“Which wind blow?”

Monica’s jaws dropped to the floor when Lee Jung placed her plate of breakfast in front of her.

“Someone’s in love.”

Kay was giggling away as she earned a soft smack on her forehead.

“This girl changed you so much?!”

Hyowon rolled her eyes when Monica stood up and kissed her forehead. She knew it was her way of telling her “Don’t ask too much”.

“Just let her be. She’s ignoring us and now packing lunch for her beloved.”

Lee Jung smiled widely. She placed the lunch box in her duffel bag before hugging her mothers. She gave Kay a quick high five before leaving the house.

“Love you all!”

She left before her Omma could ask further. She skipped down the street with so much happiness in her heart. Her eyes lighted up when she saw Noze waiting patiently for her at the bus stop. She pounced on her cute girlfriend before lifting her up in her arms.

“Baby!”

Noze shrieked as Lee Jung twirled her around. She smiled even when Noze hit her arms countlessly. She finally put her down before kissing the poor girl on her lips.

“I miss you!”

“I know but you shocked me!”

“Sorry but I just cannot wait to hold you in my arms.”

“Cheesy but it’s okay. I miss you too.”

“Let’s go?”

“Yeah, come on.”

Noze leaned forward and held Lee Jung’s hands. She then walked towards a black sedan, but Lee Jung pulled her back.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m driving us to school.”

“You can drive?!”

“I just got my license, baby! I passed my driving test!”

-

“So, let go of the brake slowly.”

Noze listened and carefully lifted her feet up before pressing down on the accelerator. The transition went smoothly. Before anyone knew it, Noze was driving.

“WAHHH!”

“OUR MAKNAE CAN DRIVE!”

Her two sisters were being noisy again, before Rihey smacked them.

“Jihye needs to concentrate!”

“Momma, you’re so biased! When I got my driving license, you were the one who made so much noise”!

Gabee rolled her eyes when Rihye shushed her down. But the family was happy that day. Jihye was doing so well, and they could see a lot of changes in her. And since Jihye can drive now, Rihey decided to pass the car to her. Gabee has bought her own car, so this old sedan was not being used at the moment.

“Momma, this is your car.”

“It’s yours now. You need it for school.”

“But you need it for work!”

“We have another car. Your Omma bought a new one.”

The three girls turned to their Omma, she nodded nonchalantly. Their restaurant business has been doing well so they could afford to get another car.

“So, your Omma and I have agreed to give you the old car. Only left another 3-4 years of service. By then, you would have graduate and you can get a new one.”

Jihye was touched her Momma tightly. The family of 5 then travelled around the neighbourhood before stopping by at a nearby family restaurant. Jihye wanted to treat them to a proper meal as a family. She has always wanted to do so for the longest time.

If not for this family, she may not be able to live her life this way. She would probably be left alone, abused and probably not having the best time of her life.

“I love you, Momma and Omma.”

“Just be happy, okay?”

“I will!”

-

“So, this is your car now?”

“Yeah, Omma said I can use it whenever I want. I’m going to use it for school so that I can drive you around.”

Lee Jung was elated. She hugged her girlfriend once again before getting into the car. While driving to school, Lee Jung took out her lunch box and started feeding her girlfriend. Jihye was concentrating on the road but kept moving.

“I’m going to make breakfast for you every day.”

“Ya, you don’t have to. We can just eat somewhere before going to school.”

“But it’s more romantic feeding you while you’re driving.”

“You and your bright ideas.”

Both girls were enjoying their private moment in the car together. Lee Jung was holding Jihye’s hand all the time while the older girl drove with one hand. She just got her license but somehow, she was confident enough to drive while her hand was occupied by someone.

“Do you know how cool you are now?”

“Hm? Am I?”

“I must declare you’re my property.”

“I’m already your property, Jungie ah.”

“No, I must get us a couple ring so that people will know you have someone already.”

Jihye giggled as she gripped her girlfriend’s hand tightly.

“Don’t worry, I’m yours forever. There’s no way I’m ever letting you go.”

“You’re mine and I’m yours. Don’t ever leave me, Noh Jihye.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

-

After dropping off her girlfriend at her campus, Yongsun drove to work with a happy smile. Her heart swelled with love and she knew she has found her happiness. When they were having breakfast earlier on, Wheein fussed over her. Yongsun is not the kind who eats breakfast. So, Wheein whipped up English breakfast and made Yongsun eat it before leaving for school. She even packed some kimbap for Yongsun.

Her phone beeped and she smiled widely as she read Wheein’s message.

I miss you already! Be careful while on the way to work. I’ll see you later.

The idea of seeing Wheein again got her heart swelled again. She never knew falling in love could make her feel something again. That emotion she has in her heart is indescribable. She just wanted to be with Wheein all the time.

She reached her office and was grabbing her stuffs from her car boot. The moment she closed the bonnet, she jumped as she found Moonbyul staring at her out of nowhere.

“What the hell. You scared me!”

“When did you come back?”

“What?”

“I thought you were in New York?”

“I was in New York. I came back yesterday.”

“If you did, why didn’t you reply to my messages?”

“You texted me?”

Yongsun pulled out her phone and realized there were a couple of unread messages, all came from Moonbyul. She sighed before she pulled Moonbyul along with her as they made her way up to her office. Irene was already waiting inside with coffee and bagel.

“When did Moonbyul come?”

“She jumped on me while I was taking things out of my car.”

“Oh.”

Moonbyul didn’t say a single word. She was just staring at Yongsun, still demanding for answers to her questions. Irene then pulled Yongsun aside as she helped with the files and document bag.

“Talk to her. She was wasted last night when you didn’t reply to her.”

Irene whispered as she made her way out of the office. Yongsun bit her lower lip and gently pushed Moonbyul to the sofa. She poured her a cup of coffee and then sat opposite her.

“When did you arrive?”

“In the morning.”

“And the whole day you didn’t bother to reply to me?”

“I was busy.”

“Busy with what?”

Yongsun knew she couldn’t hide any longer. She wasn’t ready to tell Moonbyul because she was still exploring her feelings for Wheein. But now she knew Wheein is the one for her, she decided to be honest with her best friend.

“I’m seeing someone.”

Moonbyul closed her eyes tightly.

“And you forgot about your best friend?”

“What?”

“How long have you been with her?”

“Yesterday was my first day with her. I just wanted to make sure that we are both on the same page. And now I have confirmed that she loves me too, we decided to get together.”

“Who is this girl?”

“My business partner.”

“Yong, I thought you said you will never fall in love again?”

“Yes, I did. But she shook me to my core. I have never had these strong feelings towards one person. It happened to be her.”

“What about us? What about me?”

“What about you?”

“You told me to wait.”

“I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did!”

“No, I have never told you to wait. I told you we can only be friends. But you insisted to wait for me. I cannot stop you and your feelings.”

“So, I never had a chance, huh?”

Yongsun sighed as she moved closer to Moonbyul. She held Moonbyul’s hands tightly.

“I told you before. You’re my best friend, my soul mate. But I have told you before that I could never be more than a friend. I said to you before many times and I even encouraged you to date other girls.”

Moonbyul kept quiet.

“Remember Krystal? Remember Seulgi? They were so in love with you but you just made use of them because you said you couldn’t fall in love with another person other than me. What did I say to you then?”

“You berated at me for being stupid.”

“Yes, because I have already made myself clear that we can never be together.”

“But I thought with time, if I look after you, you will come back to me.”

“Are you telling me that you were never sincere about our friendship and just hoped for something else?”

“No..”

“Then? I didn’t want to say harsh things to you because you’re the sensitive kind. But I really love this girl. I really want to be with her. I want to stay with her for the rest of my life. I want to marry her if it is possible. She just captured my heart without even doing anything. It’s a scary feeling but I embraced it because it makes me feel so much better than I was ever before.”

Yongsun paused before trying to find words not to hurt her best friend.

“First time since my parents’ deaths, I could sleep peacefully without any nightmares or waking up in tears. That’s how powerful she is to me.”

-