Loser

Loser = Lover.

“Oh my ing god.” Byulyi says as she steps into the field. The first thing she senses is bright, because it is almost thirty degrees out, and she has no idea why she even agreed to come out of the house, much less go laser tagging with Yongsun. 

 

Oh, she knows why. It’s because she has a stupid crush on the unnie, the type of crush that highly resembles a school girl’s, one that makes her toes squirm whenever Yongsun texts her in aegyo but she still has to pretend that she’s unaffected.

 

It’s laughable how self-aware she is, but feelings are funny things. Even if she is constantly reminding herself not to be obvious, Byulyi can’t help but blush when Yongsun gets handsy, which is continuously. Her hands always stray to Byulyi’s body somehow, and Yongsun has always been affectionate, outward with her touches and thoughts. 

 

The kids know they obviously do; Hyejin and Wheein are demons of their own accord and have never turned down an opportunity to either embarrass or fluster her. The prime example being Hyejin making a V with her fingers and putting her tongue between them while Wheein made scissoring motions. . Very funny.

 

Byulyi hates them then just as much as she hates the heat right now. 

 

“I can smell your frown from here!” Yongsun yells as she approaches Byulyi, “and it doesn’t smell good!” Even with her ridiculousness, Yongsun somehow looks good in this weather.

 

They’re dressed in the same oversized military pattern suit, but Byulyi looks like a hamster forced into a too big costume, whereas Yongsun looks like she just came out of a photoshoot, black hair flying in the wind. 

 

“What the .” She says out loud because the sun is shining on Yongsun just right, and there’s a slight sheen of sweat on her cheeks, glistening in the sunlight. She looks ethereal, and they’re in a laser tagging place. Nobody should look this good laser tagging. 

 

Yongsun raises an eyebrow, “why are you swearing?”

 

Byulyi opens but then closes it. She doesn’t want to voice her thoughts out loud accidentally. 

 

Yongsun narrows her eyes but continues talking anyway. “Are you ready? We can start shooting now.” Yongsun smiles, almost bouncing on her feet.

 

Why she is so excited to have paint shot at her, Byulyi has no idea, but she finds herself strolling along. Yongsun looks behind to see her following her, so she beams a smile that has Byulyi thinking that the sun is no match for that kind of brightness. “Okay! Let’s go get the guns!”

 

Yongsun stops for a second, waits for Byulyi to catch up, then takes her hands and drags her to the gun display. Byulyi picks the one closest to her, and Yongsun only takes a little time before choosing one as well. 

 

They’re then instructed back into the field, the one they’re on smaller than the usual since it’s only them playing. Byulyi tried getting the kids involved, told them to join but they replied with thinly veiled allusions made by their fingers. 

 

“Let’s go!” Yongsun yells, and she immediately starts charging towards Byulyi’s base. Byulyi hides behind the barrier, unable to do much else. She could peek out and shoot Yongsun fast and easy, but she doesn’t trust her reflexes or eyes. What if s. s. Byulyi cannot risk seeing s. 

 

Not to be dramatic, but her brain would probably malfunction. She’s queer, life is hard. 

 

In the time that Byulyi takes to play out her inner monologue, Yongsun has already sprinted to where she is. 

 

She’s breathless, more sweat dotting her forehead from all the running, and Byulyi forgets that they’re even trying to shoot each other. 

 

“I should have known you would just hide instead of actually playing.” Yongsun breathes out, shoulders still heaving, her tone accusing. She grabs the collar of Byulyi’s shirt then leans in closer and closer before placing her lips on Byulyi’s. 

 

What?

 

Yongsun deepens the kiss, opening and having Byulyi following along. She darts her tongue and at Byulyi’s lips with a fervor that has her almost vibrating. Byulyi isn’t really comprehending what’s going on, the heat from the sun and the kiss making her feverish, her head clogging up into mush. 

 

She could very well pass out right here right now, breaths erratic and the scent of Yongsun’s body mist entering her nose. It’s sweet and very Yongsun.

 

When they pull away, Yongsun has this smirk on her face. She looks like the very definition of the cat that got the cream, smugness rubbing off on Byulyi and has her averting her eyes.

 

“You’re so obvious, always have been.” She pokes a finger at Byulyi’s chest before aiming the gun at her and pulling the trigger. Paint splatters over the ill-fitting suit —the indication of her loss, and Yongsun’s mouth turns into a smile before moving her body into a little victory dance. 

 

Byulyi finds her lips twitching along. She may have lost the game, but she’s won something else entirely different.