fate or coincidence

the way we were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The flight from Zurich Airport to Incheon International Airport was exhausting. Song Jihyo had finally stepped off the plane after a hauling flight of 13 hours. Who would’ve thought she’d come back to Korea again? 

Jihyo lazily slumped in the backseat of the cab. She turned her head towards the window, looking at the passing city lights as they drove through the busy streets of Seoul. To be back in her home country after more than 4 years, felt strange somehow. The familiar atmosphere among the citizens of Seoul, the busy streets full of people coming and going, the streets were always filled with cars and other vehicles bringing their drivers to their respective destinations. 

Jihyo had already dozed off, so the rest of the car ride was silent. They'd just arrived at an apartment complex that Seongmoon had arranged for her upon her return to Korea.

The inside of the house was clean and the furniture was neatly organized. Seongmoon must’ve hired someone to do all the cleaning when she specifically asked him not to bother with all this stuff as she can manage it herself.

As soon as she went into her bedroom, she exhaustedly plopped onto the white fluffy sheets of her bed. The softness of the cloth made her melt as if molding herself as one with it. 

She looked over at the clock to find out that it was already 10 o’clock in the evening. She immediately grabbed her phone from the bedside table and dialed her mom’s number. Her parents and brother went back to Korea a week before her, so it gave Jihyo time to settle with all her work in Switzerland, before coming back home for good. 

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Eomma, Naya.”

“Eo Uri Ddal! How was your flight? Have you arrived in Seoul safely?” 

“Neh, I just arrived 20 minutes ago. Eomma, how is she? Is she still awake?” 

“Your dad already tucked her to bed just a while ago. Do you want me to wake her up and say hello?”

“Ani, Eomma. Let her sleep. I’ll just call you again tomorrow morning.”

“Okay, You rest as well, and don’t forget to eat your dinner.”

“Arasseo. Goodnight, Eomma. Saranghae!” She hung up and placed her phone back on the table. 

She felt a powerful rumble rising from her stomach, as if on cue. She hasn't eaten since she arrived in Korea. So she got out of bed, changed into more comfortable clothing, and grabbed her handbag before heading out.

Jihyo arrived at her favorite BBQ spot by the Han River. She last visited this place with the members more than four years ago. The ambiance of the place was still the same, but it rather feels different coming alone. 

After a hearty meal, Jihyo had managed to find a bike rental shop, so she decided to rent out one and stroll along

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter