Love's Way

Love's Way

“Jonghyun, you don’t understand. This is the ugliest sweater I have ever seen in my life.”

“Our definitions of ugly wildly differ, Kibum.”

“I’m serious this time,” Kibum insisted, “See for yourself.”

Jonghyun sighed as Kibum switched to the back camera of his phone, smiling smugly when Jonghyun was stunned into silence.

"Okay, so you weren't kidding. It's...wow."

Kibum snorted, switching the camera to face him again, "What do you think? Someone sent it as a practical joke? I can't imagine ordering this even when I go drunk online shopping."

Jonghyun hummed in thought while Kibum looked back again at the package that had arrived this morning. Seemingly harmless, it had given Kibum the fright of his life when he had unpacked it to find a thick green sweater with a christmas tree pattern, complete with actual tree ornaments woven into it- creating a misshapen mess of a cardigan that had made Kibum wonder who could even manufacture this in their right mind.

"Maybe it was sent to the wrong address? Could it be one of your neighbours'?"

"I mean that Junmyeon dude certainly seems like the kind who'd unironically wear this- but no this arrived with my name and correct address. No return address either because it's from an online shop."

"Damn, then maybe it is a practical joke."

"The thing is there are only two people who are close enough to me to have my address all written out and you can't lie to save your life, and Minho's out there vacationing in the Maldives with Jinki. Plus I know he bought me one of the bags I kept talking about, but I guess I wouldn't chalk him out completely."

"I don't think I'll ever truly understand you and Minho."

Kibum grinned, "I'll figure out the perpetrator. I gotta step out to go to the shop now! So see you later."

"Who even still opens shop three days before Christmas? At least have some mercy on your assistant, isn't he Catholic?"

"I have two dogs to feed! And Taemin told me he doesn’t have any issue working except for on Christmas eve and day. Besides, I’m giving him a nice bonus as well."

"That's only because you like him!"

"Getting late Jjong! See you!"

"Kibum you can't keep running–"

Kibum sighed in relief at the blank screen of his phone, and rolled the scarf around his neck twice to bear the cold ten minute walk to his shop- which was the word he and his friends used lovingly to refer to his little luxury clothing boutique, 'luxury' merely used because he was the sole designer and tailor for it, and was famous in the small fashion circles of Seoul for his knack for anticipating trends before they showed up worldwide.

The only other person beside him at the Shop was Taemin- his assistant who also doubled as a sales attendant. A struggling painter who worked with him for a regular salary, Taemin was great for business- complimenting ladies cheekily and enamouring the gents greatly. What he wasn’t too great for, was Kibum’s heart.

 

“Good morning boss! Late today?”

Speak of the devil.

“Good morning Taemin,” Kibum fumbled with the keys to the door, “Hope you didn't have to wait for too long. I got held up because I had to wait for a package delivery. God knows who sent it.”

Taemin’s face lit up, “Maybe it’s like a secret santa themed gift! Did you like it?”

Kibum grimaced, “Oh it’s definitely Christmas themed alright.”

“Oh. Doesn’t seem like you liked it too much.”

Kibum pushed open the door, glancing at Taemin, “I guess. You seem interested. Got a secret santa of your own?”

Taemin shrugged, taking off his coat and scarf. Kibum took a second to admire his profile while he organised his own on the coat rack. Taemin had recently dyed his hair blonde, and Kibum thought he looked impossibly prettier than ever, which was an incredible feat to achieve since Kibum had spent almost every working day for nearly a whole year with him.

"Not that I know of. Though that's the point isn't it? The mystery-" Taemin smiled, "-anyway are you gonna tailor today? I'll sit at the counter then."

"Sure," Jonghyun's words lingered in Kibum's mind, "Hey Taemin? Are you sure about working during the holidays? You could take the week off if you want. You don't have to restrict yourself to only Christmas eve and day."

"Why, will you not open shop? Are you spending the holidays with someone?"

Kibum knit his eyebrows, wondering why Taemin arrived to that conclusion, "No? I'll just be here as usual."

Taemin beamed, giving him a mock salute, "Then you're not getting rid of me that easy boss."

I don't want to either.

 

 

"Kibum."

"Mmhm."

"Kibum wake up."

Kibum's head snapped up in alarm, " did I fall asleep again? How long was I out for?"

"Not much, just an hour. It's six now though. Are you gonna head back home or should I stay?"

Kibum looked down at the intricate gauze dress he was painstakingly embroidering. His eyes were so tired.

"This could wait another day. Let's head back."

 

Taemin inside work hours, and out of it were two completely different people. Though he was naturally clumsy, which made his work as an assistant for Kibum as a tailor particularly hard, he was as dedicated as they came when it came to Kibum as a designer. Taemin commented on the designs, gave suggestions, had an eye for concepts and a natural affinity with Kibum in regards to ideas. Taemin outside work hours on the other hand, was mischievous, bratty and demanding. Kibum had started having a crush on him somewhere within six months of knowing him, and he was still undecided on which of these aspects of Taemin made him attractive. Kibum supposed it was a little bit of both.

“You know, I don’t need the week off, but I am not opposed to you treating me to dinner during the holidays.”

Kibum chuckled in disbelief while he jimmied the lock close, “I’m already giving you a bonus!”

Taemin pouted, eyes shimmering, “Please?”

Kibum was a weak, weak man.

“Fine,” he muttered, “But only because I have nothing better to do. BBQ sound good?"

"Sounds perfect."

 

 

"What do you usually do for Christmas?"

Kibum hummed, charring the meat evenly before dropping it on Taemin's plate.

"Not much. Our family isn't too big on Christmas so I don't bother going home. Just spend the time working, or drinking wine and watching sappy Christmas movies."

"You like Christmas movies?" Taemin asked in astonishment.

"I can be a sappy person!" Kibum defended.

Taemin shook his head, "Lot's of things I don't know about you yet," he mused, "Wish I did."

Kibum's heart fluttered, "You do?"

"If the food wasn't so delicious I'd almost be offended about how surprised you sound."

It wasn't like Taemin was unsocial. In fact, Kibum had met one of his friends-- a very pretty dancer named Jongin who Kibum would have been jealous of, if not for the fact that he had come looking for a suit for his wedding, and asking if Taemin had an employee discount he could use.

(Taemin didn't have any. Kibum gave one anyway.)

But Taemin tended to be closed off. It wasn't something Kibum found off putting considering Kibum himself was the same, and just saw it as one of the many quirks Taemin had. So him being forthcoming was something Kibum was not used to.

 

"Well what do you do for Christmas?"

“Spend time with my family. Go to church. Meet some friends- nothing special really.”

“Ah, no partner to spend a romantic evening with?”

Kibum hoped he was being smooth.

Taemin looked surprised for a second before his expression turned teasing, “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

Kibum choked on his mouthful of rice.

Taemin pushed a glass of water towards him, holding in a laugh, “I was just pulling your leg! No, I don’t have a boyfriend. I barely get the time between work and trying to finish commissions.”

Boyfriend. While Kibum had suspected Taemin was gay, he had never pried, always striving to maintain professionalism no matter his affection towards him.

“Ah, boyfriend. Me either.”

“Is this your way of coming out to me? Because like…I know.”

“I mean, it’s not like I have been hiding it, but I suppose so yeah.”

Taemin grinned, “Lot’s of vulnerability, boss. New year, new you?”

“Could say the same for you. I learnt more about you in the past hour than I did for the entire year,” he shot back.

Taemin’s grin melted into a sheepish one. Kibum was more endeared than he’d ever admit.

“I’m trying,” he acknowledges, “I’ve even made a move on my crush.”

“Oh,” Kibum wanted to sink down his chair and hide himself. He had never really reached the part of gaining enough courage to even think about confessing his feelings, but he still felt disappointment. “I hope it all works out with them.”

Taemin looked at him strangely, and then huffed, making his blonde bangs move on his forehead. Kibum was hypnotised.

“I don’t think it will. My crush is dense as hell.”

Kibum tried not to let his turmoil show, “Then maybe you should do something very obvious. Like a grand gesture.”

“I sent them a gift to their house.”

“Like a secret santa? No wonder you were so interested in what I got!”

Taemin blinked, yanking on his coat suddenly, “Just remembered I have to wake up early tomorrow! Painting stuff. Thanks for dinner Kibum, see you tomorrow.”

Kibum gaped, watching Taemin's quickly retreating figure. What was happening.

He made a mental note of buying an extra bottle of wine on his walk home. Maybe he’d be able to drink and movie marathon his feelings for Taemin enough to face his new boyfriend, probably in the New Year’s, because who would be foolish enough to refuse Taemin’s advances?

And he sincerely hoped Taemin made a better secret santa than whoever Kibum’s was.

 

 

 

“You know Kibum, I truly appreciate these calls and all, but can we not do this so early in the morning?”

“I can’t talk inside the shop and you work as a radio host at night Jjong. So shut up and listen.”

Jonghyun huffed, but like the loyal, albeit pesky best friend he was, dutifully went quiet to let Kibum speak.

“Alright so I’ve been thinking about who could send me the sweater-”

“You’re still on that?”

"Taemin brought up that he was playing secret santa to his crush, and I have to think that someone is playing secret satan with me, because why else would they-"

"Wow, I've never thought about how similar the words Santa and Satan are."

"Focus!"

"-Wait you said he has a crush?"

"Please catch up to the conversation," he scowled, ignoring the unmistakable sympathy in Jonghyun's eyes, "So I tried to think of anyone who could have my address besides you and Minho, and I realised some of my customers did, when I gave it to them in case they needed alterations when the shop was closed for a few days last month."

"Damn. Unsatisfied customer? If you gave it to them yourself then maybe you could text them and ask?"

Kibum paused, "Actually no. Taemin sent them the address on my behalf."

"Then-"

"No," Kibum shut him down before he could progress any further, "Why would he even send me this? There must be someone else I'm missing."

Jonghyun sighed,"Whatever you say Kibum."

 

 

Taemin was in low spirits that day, and Kibum was dying to pry about it, considering his abrupt departure from dinner last night, combined with the fact that it was his last day at work before Christmas which he should be generally happy about, knowing that Taemin was one of those people who genuinely enjoyed the holidays- if his insistence on playing carols the entire month of December in the shop was anything to go by.

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" Kibum asked instead. Maybe it would be his last dinner with him before Taemin's future boyfriend could take up all of his evenings. Maybe Kibum could even pretend it was a date.

"Anything is fine."

Kibum frowned, determined to try harder.

"Is Italian okay? I know the best spaghetti place."

That brought out a half hearted smile on Taemin's face, "Sounds fancy. I'm in."

"Alright," Kibum smiled back, and Taemin's face split into a proper smile this time, cheeks bunching up adorably. It was only a few seconds of eye contact, but it had Kibum feeling warm, until Taemin broke it first, and he instantly deflated again.

 

 

"Do you put up a Christmas tree?"

"At home?"

Taemin nodded, taking a spoonful of the Tiramisu they ended up sharing for dessert.

"I used to," Kibum admitted, "But ever since I started the business on my own, I don't bother anymore. I'm hardly at home anyway."

"Wait so, you're still going to be at the shop for Christmas day?"

Kibum shrugged, "I need to look at the accounts, and you'd be surprised at the amount of people who come in asking for alterations right before their Christmas parties."

Taemin pursed his lips, as if contemplating what to say next.

"Are you sure you're not doing all that just to avoid feeling lonely?" He asked bluntly.

Kibum felt like he had been punched in the gut.

"Yeah," he breathed out, "That too."

"You should put up a Christmas tree," Taemin insisted, diverting the topic in a way that had Kibum puzzled, "How else would you put up the ornament."

"What ornament?"

Taemin groaned. "Oh c'mon! I'm being as obvious as I possibly can!"

"Taemin, I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about."

"Fine," Taemin breathed through his nose, "I know a rejection when I see one. I'll get going now. Thanks for dinner. Happy Holidays."

"Rejection? Taemin what-" but Taemin had already started stalking away, and Kibum was far too perplexed to run after him.

 

 

 

Kibum of Christmas Day thanked Kibum of two days ago for remembering to buy that extra bottle of wine. Though he probably should not be drinking at his workplace. But tough times demanded tough measures.

And he should also probably head home. It was eight in the evening already and he needed to eat dinner. But he was dreading the walk filled with Christmas lights and cute couples. It reminded him of Taemin- who had still not answered any of his calls.

Kibum really hoped it was just because he was busy with his family.

He looked at the stack of bills on his table forlornly. He really wasn't making any progress on recording those so might as well just quit ahead.

Knock.

 

Kibum almost jumped out of his seat.

There was no way anyone would be coming for an alteration at this hour, especially after seeing the 'closed' sign put on the door to discourage exactly that. No robber would be polite enough to knock on the door either. Maybe it was a serial killer who enjoyed baiting their victim.

 

"Boss, you in there?"

Kibum wasn't sure if Taemin's voice helped reduce any of his anxiety.

He walked with shaky steps, partly due to nervousness, partly due to the wine- opening the door to a surprised Taemin.

"Oh you really are in here."

Kibum snorted, "Why would you knock if you don't even expect me to answer."

Taemin shrugged, "Because I'm nervous. Can I come in?"

That was when Kibum noticed him shivering in a set of cotton pyjamas, with only a coat thrown over- as if he had rushed from home without a second thought.

He nodded, letting Taemin in, who sighed in relief at the welcoming warmth.

"I have made a terrible, terrible mistake Kibum."

"Uh-"

Taemin shoved his phone in Kibum's face.

Kibum blinked in confusion, until his eyes focused on the screen displaying a shopping website.

Christmas Tree Ornament.

Christmas Tree Ornament Cardigan.

A picture of an expensive bejewelled mistletoe ornament, accompanied with Kibum's very own ugly sweater.

"That mistletoe arrived like an hour ago, and I was so ing confused, because I clearly remember buying it for you. Awful service by the way, who the hell delivers a Christmas gift on the day itself?" Taemin rambled while Kibum watched in stunned silence, "—And then I remembered that I never got the sweater I ordered and then I checked the website and realised I accidentally swapped the addresses. In my defence, I was tipsy and—look at the names of those items! Is it not confusing?"

"Why would you order something ugly like that?" Kibum blurted out. That was really the only thing he could process. Understanding anything else would mean also dealing with the implications of it- and he wasn't sure what those were yet.

"Is that-" Taemin groaned, "-is that really the thing you want to ask right now? Didn't you talk about a grand gesture? This is me making the grand gesture. I was stupid and wanted to avoid having to directly say it but- I like you. I really like you. Please appreciate this because I left a chicken roast at home that I'd have absolutely devoured at dinner."

Kibum took a deep breath, covering his face with his hands.

.

He had imagined this so many times. The pessimistic part of him told him that this was probably an alcohol induced dream, but the optimistic, and frankly practical part of him reassured that he could never really capture Taemin's beauty this perfectly in his imagination.

The beautiful person who was biting his lip anxiously when Kibum finally dropped his hands to face him properly.

Kibum had always valued his own bluntness. He could do this.

"Taemin, I like you a lot too. A whole lot."

"Oh," Taemin breathed a sigh of relief, "Oh look a mistletoe!" he smiled cheekily, uncovering Kibum's original gift from his coat pocket and dangling it above their heads.

Kibum chuckled in disbelief. "You do know I would have kissed you anyway?"

"Can't be too sure, boss," he smirked, "You can be quite dense after all."

Kibum kissed that endearingly infuriating smirk away.

 

 

"So why did you buy that ugly sweater?"

"I have an ongoing ugly Christmas sweater contest with my friends. Couldn't wear it this year of course."

"A tragedy, really. You would've won."