Final

Us Now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A woman in her late 20s woke up in an unfamiliar place. When she opened her eyes, she saw a woman running out of the door calling for a doctor.

 

Am I in the hospital? The woman thought. Before she could look around more in the room, a doctor immediately entered the room.

 

The doctor checked up on her and asked her a few questions.

 

“Do you know where you are?”

 

“Is this the Hospital?”

 

“Yes, do you know what happened to you?” The woman could only shake her head sideways.

 

“What about your name?”

 

“No… I… don’t k-know…” She was confused, clueless of what’s happening around her, and maybe felt empty. How could I forget my own name? She thought.

 

“Your name is Moon Byulyi. You had a car accident three months ago. You and your girlfriend were on your way home when a saesang fan hit your car.”

 

“I… I had wha-what? With who?”

 

“A car accident with your girlfriend.” The doctor repeated in a calm way.

 

“Whe-where is she right now? Can I see her?” That made the people around her look at each other before replying to her.

 

“Your girlfriend, Ms. Bae Irene… she’s still in a coma.”



 

Byul was staring at the woman who was peacefully sleeping beside her. She can’t deny that the woman is really beautiful, however she doesn’t feel anything for the woman, she doesn’t feel the sense of love or longingness she thought she would have just like the books that she has been reading for the past few days in the hospital since she woke up. But she does feel a sense of familiarity for the woman though, maybe because they are the same. They have no one to lean on as of the moment, they are alone.

 

Byul found out from her doctors that both of their families banned any visitors for them. Only family members were allowed to visit them. She had also met her older brother, Moon Minhyuk, the next day she woke up from her coma. Her parents however, haven't met her at all. When she asked Minhyuk about it, he said they were on a business trip. She should have felt sad hearing about it, but she didn’t. She doesn’t really care because for her, she does not have any memory of them.

 

“You’re here again.” A voice spoke that made her stop her reading the book she was holding. She looked up and there she saw her older brother by the door.

 

“Hello.” She greeted and bowed her head a little, acknowledging the presence of the man.

 

“How is she?”

 

“Still the same.” The man could only nod.
 

“Thank you.” Byul broke the silence in the room.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“For covering my work for me and.... For always visiting me.” Byul found out from her brother that she's actually a CEO of a multi-million company. She felt sorry but also thankful for the man in front of her for covering her work. It must have been hard for him. She thought.

 

“Of course, you’re my sister. I’d do anything for you.”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“You can… but I’m not sure if I could be a good help.”

 

“It’s about my relationship with her.”

 

“Ah… actually, well this is hard. How do I say this… well, you two never really confirmed anything about your relationship. People only speculated you were dating because you are always together, especially during special events.”

 

“We never confirmed it? Why though?”

 

“I don’t know myself. The truth is, you are a very private person Byul, too private. To the point that you never really share anything with me unless it’s business. However…”

 

“However?”

 

“However, one day… you called me. You said you needed my help as a brother. There, you told me that you have been in love with Irene since you were in High School. But decided to keep it to yourself because you were afraid.”

 

“Afraid? Of what?”

 

“Beats me, you passed out because you were too drunk that night.”

 

“So… I loved her.”

 

“Yes, but now, seeing her? How do you feel?”

 

“I don’t know.” And she was telling the truth. Byul doesn't have any memories of the girl lying beside her, that's why she doesn't know.

 

“It’s okay, Byul. No one’s rushing you. Just remember that I’m here.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Days passed, Byul still continued to visit Irene in her room. The people in the hospital already knew where to find her at some point, either in the physical therapy room or Irene’s room. Right now, her therapy session was done for the day, and she could walk with the help of crutches. She walked to the hallways with a nurse on her tail, on her way to Irene’s room, she stopped when she saw doctors rushing inside the woman’s room, and that made her nervous. She immediately fastened her strides even though the nurse was trying to stop her.

 

When she finally entered the room, she saw the person lying on the bed days ago, now awake. The doctor keeped asking her questions but the woman remained silent.

 

“Do you know who you are?” She was hoping that the woman would answer yes, but then she saw it. She saw how the woman shakes her head, indicating that she doesn’t.

 

Days have passed after that, Byul is still taking her physical therapy while Irene with her speech therapy and psychologist. The doctors thought that Irene lost the ability to speak, however, they were proved wrong two days after she woke up. It was when one of the nurses told Irene that her girlfriend was also in the same hospital as her, that it was Byul. The woman who was standing at the door the day she woke up. At first, she was wondering why the woman was there, and why she is always present everytime the doctors check up on her.

 

“You-you’re m-my gi-girlfriend?” Irene asked after the nurse introduced Byul to her. This made all the people in the room shocked. They thought she had speech problems.

 

“It’s what they say.” Byul could only shrug at the girl’s question.

 

“Y-you’re n-not s-sure?”

 

“No.”

 

“W-why?”

 

“Because like you, I also don’t remember anything.” Irene nodded at her answer.

 

“Ms. Bae, how are you feeling?” The doctor tried to ask Irene, but she was only given a distant stare.

 

“Would you like some water, Ms. Bae?” The nurse asked, but again, the woman didn’t answer. It’s as if she was mute again. The doctor looked at Byul hopefully, and Byul saw that. She knows what the doctor is hinting at, and she could only sigh.

 

“How are you feeling?” Byul asked the woman. Everyone in the room was anxious, especially Irene’s sister who came ever since she received a call that her sister is awake. But sadly, Irene didn’t answer. With a defeated sigh, Byul tried again, but this time while holding the woman’s hand.

 

“Does anything hurt?” Byul felt the hold in her hand tighten and heard the latter answer.

 

“he-head... h-hurts.” Irene answered, still holding Byul’s hand and only looking at her. This made the people in the room realize that Byul is the only one who can make Irene talk.

 

“Is it okay for the doctor to check up on you?” That made Irene tighten her hold on Byul’s. And Byul saw how frightened the woman was when she asked.

 

“It’s okay… they’re not gonna hurt you. I’m here.” She reassured the woman.

 

Irene’s sister, Tiffany, saw everything, how her sister got frightened when the doctor or nurse tried to touch her, and how Byul calmed her down. She was sad how everything had turned out. Her bubbly little sister that was so clingy yet sassy to her, became like this. But at least she got to hear her sister talk again, even though she only replied to one person.

 

When their parent’s heard about Irene’s condition, they immediately asked Byul if they could stay in one room, knowing that their daughter only felt safe and comfortable when Byul was around. At first, Byul’s family was against it because she also needed to recuperate, but was then shut when Byul personally asked her family for it. Saying, she also needs Irene’s presence. Thus, the two patients are now staying in a VIP room that has two beds.

 

Whenever Irene needed to visit her psychologist and speech therapist, Byul would always be present, and Byul had adjusted her schedule on her physical therapy, so that every time she attended the sessions, Irene would be asleep. This happened for two weeks now, and no one complained about it. Because the two patients felt comfortable with each other’s presence.

 

The two were now laying in Irene’s bed watching Irene’s favorite movie, The Notebook. Irene’s head was laying on Byul’s shoulder while side hugging the latter. Tiffany looked at the two patients while smiling. She was happy for the two, even though both their memories haven’t come back yet, at least they have each other to lean on.

 

“You two, have some apples.” Tiffany offered the couple and placed the already peeled and sliced apples on the table where the laptop was placed.

 

“T-thank you, u-unnie.” Irene smiled at her older sister which made Tiffany caressed the head of her little sister. Little by little, her sister was opening up to them. However, whenever Irene meets someone new, she would always tense and look guarded, sometimes she would scream and throw a fit when someone tries to touch her. And when that happens, Byul would be the only one who can calm her sister down. Tiffany felt thankful for Byul’s patience on her sister, even though she also has her own problems to deal with.


 

“Byul? Are you sure it’s okay for you to work again? You know I can do it for you right?” Byul was talking to her older brother in the other room beside theirs. They were going to talk about important stuff. Irene, at first requested that they do it in their room, but Byul convinced her that they were just in the other room, and if she needs her, she can always call for her.

 

“It’s okay oppa, you’ve been helping since the accident. It’s time for you to take a rest.”

 

“But can you manage though? You still haven’t recovered your memories.”

 

“I’ll just call you from time to time oppa. I’m sorry already, if I still bother you in the future.”

 

“Hey, you know it’s okay. It’s not a problem for me.”

 

“Thank you, oppa. I don’t think I can handle this without you--” Byul’s words were cut off when they heard a scream coming from the other room. There was only one thought that came to Byul’s mind, Irene.

 

She immediately stood up and ran to their room, ignoring the shouts of her brother.

 

“Byul! What the ! Don’t run! You’re not yet completely healed!” But Byul doesn’t care, not now when Irene needs her.

 

When she opened the door, she saw an unknown woman approaching Irene trying to touch her.

 

“Get away from her!” She shouted at the woman and pushed her far from Irene. She immediately hugged Irene who was now shaking and crying because of shock.

 

“Shhh… It’s okay. I’m here.” Byul comforted the crying woman.

 

“B-byul?”

 

“Yes, it’s me. Calm down, I’m here now, baby.” Byul said, still hugging her and kissing her head, which made Irene calm down a little.

 

“Baby?” The unknown woman spoke in disbelief while looking at the two, but Byul didn't care about her.

 

“Seulgi? What are you doing here?” Byul heard her brother talking to the woman. Who is this Seulgi and why is she trying to hold Irene?

 

“Min-Minhyuk oppa, I…” Seulgi could not finish her words because Byul cut her off.

 

“Oppa, do you know this woman?!” Byul saw the shocked and confused look of the woman.

 

“Byul, calm down. Seulgi, let's talk outside.” Her brother ushered the woman outside the room. The woman was contemplating at first if she should follow, but when she saw how Byul glared at her, she sighed and followed the man outside. But before she could completely go out, she heard what Byul was saying to Irene.

 

“Baby, it’s okay now. I’m here. No one’s gonna hurt you.” And that made her hurt and more confused.



 

It took Byul an hour to finally calm Irene down, and Tiffany was currently holding her sister’s hand while being hugged by Byul. She drove as fast as she could when she heard about the situation, and seeing her sister’s tear-stained face, she couldn't help but be sad for her sister, and angry at the person who made her sister like this.

 

“I-I’m so-sorry.” Irene finally spoke.

 

“Sis, you don’t have to say sorry.” Tiffany tightened her hold on her sister’s hand, but Irene shook her head.

 

“I’m s-sorry… for b-being… like… t-this.” Tiffany saw her sister tearing again.

 

“Shhh… Baby, there’s nothing to be sorry about.” Byul caressed her shoulder, calming her again. Assuring her it's okay.

 

“B-but…”

 

“No buts, okay?” Irene could only give them a nod. Tiffany then offered her a glass of water, in which she accepted. After making sure that Irene was completely okay, Tiffany left the room to meet Byul’s brother outside.

 

“Tiff.” Minhyuk greeted the woman.

 

“What happened a while ago?” Tiffany looked at the man in front of her crossing her arms on her chest.

 

“Seulgi came to visit.”

 

“Who?” Tiffany was confused when hearing the name for the first time.

 

“Seulgi, Byul’s best friend.”

 

“If she’s Byul’s best friend, why did I hear that she tried touching Irene? As far as I remember, Irene never told me that she knew someone named Seulgi.”

 

“I also don’t know. Maybe they became friends through Byul.”

 

“How did she even get inside? I thought there were people guarding the room?”

 

“It seems like Seulgi came when the guards were exchanging rounds.”

 

“We can’t let this happen again, Minhyuk! My sister was so shocked that she cried, it took her an hour to calm down! An hour, Min! When it normally only takes less than that for Byul to calm her down!” Tiffany was now feeling angry about what happened. She can’t imagine what would happen to her sister if Byul didn’t rush to her side.

 

“I know, calm down. I already hired new guards as per Byul’s request.”

 

“And that Seulgi?”

 

“I told her not to visit for now, since both lost their memories, they don’t know who she was in their lives.”

 

“And she agreed?”

 

“She didn’t at first, but when I told her that the two are not allowed to be stressed or their health will be affected, she finally agreed.”

 

“That’s good. I don’t know who she is, but I hope she stays away from our sisters, at least until my sister is ready to face other people.”

 

“I understand, Tiff. Let’s go back inside now before they look for us.” What the two didn’t expect though, was a sight of their sisters cuddling while peacefully sleeping. They thought that Byul would still be calming Irene down, but they were oh so wrong. But it’s okay because, for them, this was a better sight than what they expected.



 

It was late at night when Irene remembered what her sister told her days after she woke up. Her sister had told her that she was an actress loved by many. Her sister had also told her the hobbies she used to enjoy and her relationship with Byul. According to her sister, Byul was someone she knew since she was a kid. Both have been aware of each other’s existence because both their grandfathers were best friends. Her sister said that she and Byul stopped hanging out during senior high which made her confused. Though, according to Tiffany, they reconciled after they graduated college. Irene, according to her, would always accompany Byul during events, and Byul would also do the same for Irene, thus, the rumors of them being a couple. But both of them never really bothered confirming their relationship in the public nor in their families.

 

Irene became more curious that she searched her name. There, she found out that her sister was telling her the truth. Under the article about her winning film and drama awards, there were a lot of people congratulating her. There were also videos of her interacting with her fans, sometimes, she could see Byul waiting for her in the background. Scrolling more in different articles and videos, Irene stumbled upon a video that was titled “Irene and Moonbyul Dating?”. Out of curiosity, she clicked on the video, there she saw compilations of their past interactions, the red carpets together, the dinners or dates that seemed to be taken from afar, and even photos of them talking in the car. In the video, Irene had caught herself multiple times looking at Byul, happily, lovingly, and sometimes with longing. She doesn’t know why the longing though.

 

Her thoughts were cut off when she heard someone calling her, a voice she would always feel at ease whenever her name was being uttered.

 

“Irene?” She saw the taller woman close her laptop and walk towards her bed. She immediately scooted to the side to give space for the taller one so that she could lay beside her. She made the younger one smile at her actions. But decided to lay beside her anyway, the other bed in the room already forgotten.

 

“Y-you done wi-with your wo-work?” Irene still has a little problem with her speech, however, according to her doctors, it will be normal again in a few weeks with speech therapy.

 

“No, I’ll finish it tomorrow.”

 

“Y-you could fi-finish it tonight.”

 

“Nah… you look lonely in this bed. I prefer cuddling with you rather than facing those things.” Irene then felt Byul’s arms positioned behind her head and the other on her waist. Irene smiled at Byul’s words and then hugged Byul back.

 

“B-Byul?” Irene looks at Byul’s face, she couldn't believe that a person this good-looking and kind-hearted is hugging her at the moment.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“My si-sister gave me something t-two days a-ago.”

 

“Do you want to tell me what it is?” Irene didn’t reply, instead, she let go of the hug to open the drawer beside her bed. Byul saw Irene take out a purple notebook that has a lock on it.

 

“Here.” Irene hands Byul the notebook which Byul looks at confusingly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter