again

outpour (be careful not to get sick)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Because she—”

 

Bigla namang tumunog ang cellphone ni Chaewon which interrupted her supposed explanation. She looked at Chaeyeon (probably to ask for permission) and the latter just nodded as a reply. Fishing out the phone from her bag, she saw that it was Hyewon who was calling her.

 

Her mind got filled with worries. Hindi naman kasi sila close ni Hyewon. At isa lang lagi ang dahilan kung bakit s’ya tatawagan nito.

 

“What happened?”

 

[Just the usual. Pinag-uusapan s’ya kanina ng schoolmates natin sa may bus stop. Ayon, napilitan akong bumalik dito. Turns out, may nakita si gaga na box na may lamang pusa kaya iniwanan n’ya raw yung payong n’ya ron.]

 

Yes. She was always like that. Yena’s too kind for her own good. Parati n’yang inuuna ‘yung kapakanan ng iba. Kahit na s’ya pa ‘yong mapapahamak. Wala s’yang pakialam. Gan’on s’ya kabait. Na minsan nga naiinis na si Chaewon.

 

“Nasan kayo ngayon?” Tanong ni Chaewon habang mabilis na inaayos ang mga gamit n’ya. Na-gets naman agad ni Chaeyeon ang sitwasyon kaya hinayaan na lamang nito ang kaibigan na nagmamadaling umalis.

 

[Nandito kami sa malapit na waiting shed.]

 

“Okay, papunta na ako.”

 

[Ah, Chaewon. Hindi naman sa pinagmamadali kita, ha? Pero kailangan na kasi ako sa bahay. Kanina pa ako tine-text ni Mama...]

 

“Don’t worry, I’m coming na. You can leave her there.” Sagot ni Chaewon habang pumapara ng taxi.

 

Magkahalong inis at pagaalala ang nararamdaman ni Chaewon. Naalala n’ya dati, the older girl literally went home by foot! Kasi may nakita raw s’yang homeless girl na nanghingi ng limos kaya binigay n’ya ‘yong perang pamasahe n’ya dapat. Or that one time when she skipped the class just to single handedly save a small garden from getting ruined because of a massive rain.

 

“Ang kulit mo talaga!” Pananaway sa kanya ni Chaewon habang pinupunasan ang buhok nito. Yena was currently sitting on one of the monobloc chairs while Chaewon was in front of her, standing.

 

“Eh kawawa naman ‘yung mga bulaklak!” Yena fought back, pouting, arms hugging the larger towel that was draped around her shoulders, her eyes fixated on the floor. “Sayang naman ‘yong pinaghirapan mo kung masisira lang ‘yung garden! I know mahalaga ‘yon for you...”

 

Quite taken aback by her answer, Chaewon just decided to flick her bestfriend’s forehead eliciting a groan from the latter, while she tries her best to not let a smile escape from her lips.

 

‘.’

 

‘My .’

 

“But Chaewon...”

 

The younger girl hummed in response, her eyes still on the older girl’s hair and her attention on the task that she currently has.

 

“I did a good job, right?” The older girl looked up to see Chaewon’s affirmative response, eyes b with joy, clearly expecting something.

 

And Chaewon already knows what to do. In situations like this one, isa lang naman ang inaantay ni Yena.

 

Chaewon broke their eye contact by pulling the towel down. Yena would want to argue about the sudden unexpected action when she felt Chaewon’s right hand on her head, giving her a gentle pat.

 

There’s just something reassuring and rewarding about Chaewon’s head pats that Yena had grown to love.

 

“Yeah,” Chaewon smiled even if she knew that the older girl would not be able to see such. “You did well.”

 

Yena will always prioritize other’s well-being more than hers.

 

Kaya nga Chaewon is certain that they could never happen.

 

It was the same scenario just like today. They were barely fourteen that time which is why Chaewon is so annoyed that Yena still honors that promise up until this day.

 

It was one rainy day. Chaewon came home, drenched because of the sudden outpour. However, what’s worse is that she had her first heartbreak during that time.

 

It was a planned confession. The two of them prepared everything, Chaewon’s lines, the letter she’ll pass to the girl slash the “crush” in question, everything. Everything was neat. Chaewon was confident because Yena’s been telling her that she’ll do well and that she shouldn’t worry about anything.

 

And so Chaewon was so confident that day. Yena told her that she’ll stay and wait for it to be over but Chaewon insisted that she can do it herself. Putting all her trust on the younger, Yena went ahead of her but she also proceeded to the younger’s house after changing into casual clothes.

 

They were supposed to celebrate that day. Kasi nga sure na sure na sila na tatanggapin n’ong girl ‘yung confession ni Chaewon. Because there were signs and it gave them hope and confidence that they’ll succeed.

 

Pero happened. The girl said she’s just being friendly and all. Mali pala sila.

 

Yena had to witness Chaewon’s helpless state. And she couldn’t help but blame herself. Kasi s’ya naman talaga ‘yung nagtulak kay Chaewon na umamin. The latter had zero plans of confessing at all. Pero since she mistakenly assumed things, ayan, Chaewon was the one who took the blow.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter