Chapter 2: a gap

anywhere in lifetime with you

Nayeon took a sip from her coffee cup. She scans the time on her wristwatch and it's nearly 8:00 p.m., and yet she's still enjoying her favorite local coffee shop.

The fact that there are only a few people inside enhances to the tranquility she's feeling along with the light background music.

 

The ambiance is very calm and pleasant. 


She glanced out through the clear window glass and saw that there was a long queue outside; it appears to be quite noisy. However, since the shop is soundproof, she couldn't hear anything from the outside commotions.

 

It feels like tranquility amidst the chaos.

 

"I'm hoping you'll show your support for our new album!"

 

Nayeon's attention was drawn to the large television in the store's corner. When she realized who it was, she smiled.

 

 

“We prepared a lot for this comeback for you, guys…” The girl shyly said and smiled gummily.

 

 

Nayeon's heart began to thump rapidly. She bit her lower lip to keep the smile from bursting forth.

 

 

She couldn't suppress it any longer, so she took another sip of coffee to contain it. She doesn’t want other people to see that she's smiling like an idiot.

 

 

“A fan, huh?”

 

 

“!” Nayeon was startled that she almost dropped the cup she was holding.

 


Nayeon fixated her gaze on the girl in front of her who was dressed in a big sweatshirt and a black cap that obscured her face. “Jesus Christ...Almost made me spill my drink.” Nayeon murmurs as she uses the tissue to remove some small spilled coffee on the table.

 

The hoodie-wearing girl chuckles gently. "I'm sorry...I'm just looking for a table to share."

 

 

Nayeon sits properly then mocked a fake smile. “Suit yourself then.” She said, gesturing to the chair in front of her.

 

 


The girl sat down obediently. Still, her face’s still not clear in Nayeon’s vision.

 

 

The girl sipped her coffee as she directed her gaze on the TV where Nayeon was watching earlier.

 


Nayeon stared at the girl for a long time, stunned and possibly bewildered. Despite the fact that the girl's entire face was almost shrouded, Nayeon still spotted the girl's little moles on the bottom and upper half of her lips.

 

How is it possible for two people to have exactly the same mole places?

 

I might be tripping, this can’t be the same person. Nayeon thought and eventually convinced herself.

 

“So...are you a fan of them?” The girl asked again without looking at Nayeon, her eyes still on the TV.

 

Nayeon did the same, her eyes are back at watching her faves perform on national television.

 

“Hmm, yeah, kind of?” She said then sipped another coffee.

 

“Kind of? How does that work?”

 

“Well, I only became a fan because of that,” She pointed at the undeniably pretty girl with a wolf-cut that was performing. “Pretty girl.”

 

Oh, that Mina Myoui?” The girl casually said. 

 

Nayeon gave the girl a quick glance. “You know her?”

 

 

“Sort of. I always see her posters everywhere so yes.” The girl shrugs then sipped on her coffee.

 

 

Nayeon raised one of her eyebrows, unconvinced. “What’s your name?”

 

 

The girl faced Nayeon and sipped through her coffee, too. Her face is still covered with the huge double-lined hood and a black cap.

 

“Sharon.” She said.

 

“Nayeon.” She offered Sharon her hand for a handshake.

 

 Sharon accepted it. 

 

“You give off an artist vibe who’s trying to hide from paparazzi because of your outfit, are you aware of that?” Nayeon commented. 

 

Sharon just chuckles.

 

Nayeon’s eyes widened, even the chuckle was almost the same. 

 

“Well, I’m more comfortable wearing this...and I feel cold. Don't you?” Sharon said.

 

“Yeah, right.” Nayeon scoffs. "I also feel cold that's why I'm here for coffee."

 

Nayeon raised her eyebrows when she felt something weird.

 

“It’s okay to tell me that you’re really Myoui Mina who’s on the TV a while ago, you know,” Nayeon brings herself a bit closer to Sharon and then whispers, “I won’t tell anyone, promise.”

 

Sharon shook her head as a sign of disapproval then pushed Nayeon’s forehead away from her. “Don’t embarrass yourself, Ms. Nayeon.”

 

 

Nayeon laughed, a genuine laugh that made her cute bunny teeth visible. “I’m just kidding.”

 

 

“It’s not obvious that you’re a fan of her,” Sharon said sarcastically.

 

Nayeon bends her wrist to match Sharon’s sarcasm. “I know, I know.”

 

 

“Would you date her if you're given the chance?” Sharon asks randomly.

 

Nayeon was caught off guard by the question.

 

Would she?

 

 Nayeon’s been fangirling over Mina for almost three years now, sometimes she finds herself ridiculous whenever she finds herself imagining things with Mina.

 

 

Nayeon knows that it would be weird if other people will know about that. 

 

 

Lately, she realized a lot of things about her admiring and adoring Mina over her feet.

 

 

“Probably not,” Nayeon answered shortly.

 

 

Sharon seems to be stunned by her answer. “Well, that’s an unexpected answer from a fangirl.”


 

“I mean...as much as I want to. I know it’s  impossible.” Nayeon pauses for a while to take a bite of her cake. “It’s like wishing that the sun and moon to eventually meet someday, you know.” 

 

 

“A thing that will never happen?” Sharon asked.

 

 

“Shoot. Exactly.” Nayeon says as she shrugs her shoulders.

 

 

Nayeon stares blankly through the window glass. 

 

 

With all the tall buildings, it makes the city even more beautiful. 

 

 

“And if ever, I don’t think I’d ever date her, she’s just so out of my league. A huge, huge gap.” Nayeon added.

 

 

Nayeon can see from her peripheral vision that Sharon’s slightly nodding her head as she sips again through her cup. 

 

 

“Then how about if she’s just an ordinary person? No popularity and such?” Sharon asked again.

 

 

Nayeon turned into Sharon.

 

 

"Then I'm willing to put everything on the line." Nayeon replied, "I would even show her all the beautiful things the universe has to offer." She pauses for a while. " But, you know, only a child can wish, right?  I'm sure there are a lot of her fans who feel the same way as I do. There's nothing special about mine," Nayeon said, plastering on a bitter smile rather than a real one. "I apologize if I'm being dramatic over some artist. I'm such a weirdo," Nayeon chuckles, trying to make the situation less awkward.

 

"No, it's okay!" Sharon responded, covering her hands with the length of her hoodie, "I'm a-actually glad to hear your thoughts."


Nayeon stands up from her seat and retrieves her car keys from the table, nodding.

 

"Well, Sharon, it's great to meet you!"

 

Nayeon showed a bunny smile. “As much as I want to see your face, but I have to go.”

 

Nayeon immediately walks away, not bothering to look at Sharon one last time.

 

"Wait—" Sharon was about to say something but she realized Nayeon had already vanished from her sight.


Nayeon let out a sigh as soon as her foot stepped outside the shop.

 

A sigh of everything that’s been bothering her ever since.

 

A sigh of never known pain.

 

 


In any way, we all do have the various differences that distinguish us from each other; social status, struggles, problems, races, nationalities, uality, and fame.

 

You name it. 

 

But ne thing is certain. Every single person on this planet shares one extremely similar trait.

 

 

We always want the things we can't have.