Chapter 4

Home

T/W: Mention of alcohol abuse

It was the weekend and Ryujin had been helping her mum do some house chores when she heard her phone alert her of a text message.

10:17AM YJ-unnie : Ryujinnie! The team will be going to the movies later in the afternoon. Would you like to come?

Ryujin was just about to type her reply when a selfie of Yeji popped up. Ryujin couldn't remember how or when the older girl started sending her selfies but here they were. Only she can pull off that pink highlight on her hair and not look like a fool Ryujin thought.

10:21AM Ryujinnie : Was that selfie supposed to convince me? Because I'm not sure anymore LOL

10:22AM YJ-unnie : Oh shut up, you love it

10:30AM Ryujinnie : LMAO I might do a rain check then

10:31AM YJ-unnie : Fine, I'm not sending anymore

10:31AM Ryujinnie : LOL sike! I'm kidding please send more selfies, they always make my day😛

10:59AM Ryujinnie: I'll come, send me the deets

11:05AM YJ-unnie : Okur *another selfie*

Ryujin smiled and saved the photo before going back to running errands.

-

"Wheein, I'm hungry," Hwasa whined as she tugged the shorter girl closer to her.

"Ugh, me too," Yuna said, dragging her feet on the floor.

Ryujin looked at them incredulously and said, "We just had dinner not even half an hour ago. And you were eating popcorn nonstop in the movies. What kind of stomachs do you own?!"

Wheein removed herself from Hwasa's grip. "Alright, let me get you something."

"All good, I got it."

Everyone turned their attention to their captain, with 2 sandwiches on her hand. She handed one to Hwasa and the other to Yuna, "I figured these two will be hungry in less than 10 minutes so I quickly ran to get them something to eat. Maybe we can find a seat outside?"

"Awww you are my knight in shining armour!" Yuna exclaimed as she hugged the older girl while the latter returned the gesture.

Ryujin saw the exchange and for some reason, she wished that she whined about being hungry too.

"These sandwiches are actually pretty decent," Solar spoke and everyone turned to her.

"I thought Yeji-unnie only got 2?" Lia asked. "How'd you get yours?"

The eldest of the group just kept eating, ignoring the question.

-

Yeji dropping Ryujin home had become a constant - something that was already implied and a given.

They were stuck in traffic and looked like the ride will be longer than normal when Yeji spoke, "Do you want to hang out tomorrow? Yuna wanted to."

Ryujin wanted to say yes but she knew her parents would not appreciate her being out of the house for the whole 7 days of the week, "Sorry unnie. I have to stay at home tomorrow. But maybe next week?" she asked.

"Yeah for sure! I just thought I'd ask if you wanted to," Yeji reassured her with a smile.

Ryujin hesitated for a bit but curiosity got the better of her, "You like going out a lot?" It was an innocent question but it seemed to have taken the other girl by surprise.

"Yeah..." Yeji started. She paused for a whole minute that Ryujin thought she wasn't going to add any more to that when she continued, "I just don't like staying at home because my parents do not really get along well. My dad often comes home drunk and well, it's not a pleasing sight."

Ryujin saw how Yeji's eyes suddenly held a distant and empty stare. She also noticed that the older girl gripped the steering wheel just a bit harder. Suddenly, Ryujin felt guilty for asking. "I'm sorry I asked."

Yeji turned to her with a surprised look before returning her gaze on the road. Blinking away the tears that were threatening to fall, she said, "Don't be sorry. It was nice to say those things out loud to someone that's not Solar, you know? That girl had been a witness to my family's problems since birth. I think she deserves a break."

So do you, Ryujin thought. She was not convinced and kept quiet. The fox-eyed girl seemed to have sensed this so she reached out for the younger one's hand. Ryujin met her halfway and intertwined their fingers. It felt like the most natural thing to do even though she's not one to initiate skinship with friends.

Yeji squeezed Ryujin's hand and said, "Honestly, it's okay. Don't worry too much about it. I appreciate you listening."

The whole ride, Ryujin never let go of the older girl's hand. She decided that she would like to be that friend who keeps Hwang Yeji happy.

-

"So what made you change your mind?" Yuna asked as she let Ryujin in her house.

After the conversation they had the previous night, Ryujin just wanted to take every opportunity to be able to help Yeji take her mind off of the things that she had to deal with at home.

"Ah, I was just bored," Ryujin knew it was such a lame excuse but she was sure Yuna was going to buy it anyway so she didn't have to try.

"Fair enough," Yuna said as she led her to the movie room. "Yeji-unnie will be coming soon. I told her to sleep in and come a bit later because she was up so late last night."

Ryujin was surprised to hear this piece of information. "Oh really?"

"Yeah, I messaged her a bit late and she responded straight away so I asked why she was up. We ended up talking on the phone and at one point she even brought me food because I mentioned my stomach was growling," Yuna said as she noticeably stifled a yawn. "She left around 2AM I think."

"I see," suddenly, Ryujin felt crestfallen but she was quick to try to shake the feeling away. She seriously can't be in a competition with her friend over who was closer to Yeji.

When the older girl arrived at Yuna's, the three collectively decided to watch a scary movie and Yuna excused herself to get some snacks before they start, leaving the other two dancers in the room.

"How are you feeling?" Ryujin asked. "I heard you were up late last night," she added, before she could stop herself.

Yeji looked at her. If she was surprised, she did great at hiding it. "Yeah. Yuna and I hung out until wee hours of the morning. I thought I'd give her company since she can't sleep."

"Is everything okay?" Ryujin asked as she mindlessly played with her phone. For whatever reason, she felt like she needed a distraction.

Yeji got up from where she was sitting on the floor to settle next to Ryujin. She took the younger girl's phone and snapped a quick selfie before giving the device back to its owner. Ryujin was about to ask again when she felt Yeji lean her head on her shoulders, "Yeah, all's good, babe."

I wonder if she acts the same around Yuna, Ryujin wondered.