What a wonderful world

What a wonderful world
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It wasn't often for Junho to hear birds chirping as he walked the streets, passing the flipped over car that was once burning. He smiled as he saw a family of birds on a nearby tree. It restored the little humanity he had left in him, a somewhat reminder that everything wasn't like this before the accident happened, before then everything was peaceful. 

He sometimes wished the accident didn't happen, the first wave was still fresh in his mind like it was yesterday. Walking down the road making his way to an dance audition he signed up to, only to see a crowd of people running his opposite direction screaming bloody murder. And that was when he first saw it, the undeads as the people on the television called them, or basically zombies just with a different name because it needed to sound serious. In the first wave, the government told them to lock up their houses and wait for two weeks until the situation cleared up, and it never did.

They were forced to leave the house when they ran out of food supplies, Junho accompanying his dad to check the nearest grocery store, while his mom and sister stayed home. He brought a kitchen knife with him just in case one of the undeads came up to him and tried anything. But thankfully it didn't happen, at least not to him. He was scavenging around the abandoned grocery store when his father's scream brought him to full alert. Running towards the sounds of his dad struggling, he saw it with his own eyes, an undead mauling his dad's face. The grip he had on his knife became tighter, but his feet were frozen in place. He wanted to move and save his dad, but he couldn't, he didn't understand why, but the sight shocked him too much.

He saw how hard his dad struggled, and how his body slowly went limp as the undead continued to eat his flesh. And that was when he was able to move, dragging his feet closer and closer towards the undead. Raising his knife, and quickly stabbing the creature as much as he could. He wasn't sure if these things could die, but hell he could hope. When the body dropped down beside his dad's, that's when Junho felt a little safe. He turned to his dad, his eyes burned as tears blurred his visions. He wiped them quickly, reminding himself, he had to be strong for his mom and sister.

After muttering his final goodbyes, Junho was about to continue looking through the store for food. But then his dad's body started twitching. He stared as the dead body of his father continued to shake violently, until the eyes opened. And what stared back at him wasn't the once caring eyes of his father, it was a hollow stare of an undead.

Before his dad could've done anything, he stabbed the older man's chest. Tears streamed down his face as he repeated the word i'm sorry while his dad could only growl with his current state, he cried even more as the fresh blood from his dad's body dirtied his once white shirt. Junho was only eighteen when he had to murder his father for his own safety.

He managed to come home with some supplies, but when he arrived home, he couldn't answer his mom's questions about where his dad was, or his sister asking about his stained shirt. Instead he broke down in front of them, once again repeating the words i'm sorry as he got on his knees, and of course his mother knew what he meant. Wrapping Junho around her arms, she whispered it's fine while rubbing his back. The world feels cold even when he's wrapped around his mother's warm hug.

Some time has passed after the first wave, and when Junho hoped for good news from the government, the only thing that came from the radio was the announcement of the second wave. He slammed the knife he was sharpening on the table out of frustration.

Around that time, he remembered getting a knock on his door in the middle of the night. He usually stayed guard downstairs while his mom and sister slept upstairs. Grabbing his knife he looked from the peephole, and who he saw made his eyes go wide. He quickly opened the door and was immediately hugged by Chansung, his best friend who he hadn't seen in weeks, hell maybe even months at this point, Junho stopped counting ever since the grocery store incident. He felt relieved to see Chansung alive and breathing, the man looked like a mess for sure, but he was here and alive at least.

When they pulled away from the hug, Junho laughed at his now teary eyed best friend, only for Chansung to point out that he himself was also in fact crying. Junho smiled, he missed having his guard down like this and joking around. After letting Chansung in, he closed the door behind the taller man.

Life with Chansung was different, less stressful to say the least, he would joke around often and would ease up the tension. It helped out a lot, especially with his mom who was always stressed out with the current situation of the world, seeing her laugh freely when Chansung told a stupid joke made Junho smile. His friend would help out around the house, cooking, cleaning, and fixing up stuff that was broken. Chansung would also assist Junho on searching food supplies, which makes his "shopping time" a little less lonely.

It was one day, in the middle of the night, when the two boys stayed up to guard as usual. Chansung approached him about a safe spot near town that was apparently taking in hostages. It piqued Junho's interest so he told Chansung to continue on. And what he found surprising was that his friend was actually already there, but came back when he realized Junho and his family were nowhere to be seen. And when Chansung offered to take them there, Junho never agreed on anything so fast. 

The next morning, Junho immediately told his mom and sister to pack up, taking only the important things and important supplies, before starting their journey.

And that afternoon they set off, following Chansung's lead as they walked for three days, almost running out of supplies but in the end, they arrived at the safe spot. And they were immediately taken in for a medical checkup and questioning.

Junho was actually quite fond of the place, he felt happy being able to communicate with other people that weren't his own mother or sister. And it was there where he learned how to fight and defend himself as well. Chansung would occasionally give him taekwondo lessons, saying something about how he's sure it would be needed sometimes in the future. Nichkhun, a friendly foreigner he met there, sharpened up his knife skills. Apparently the older man was a former chef, so his skill with knives was impressive. But his favourite were the shooting lessons, because there he got to meet him .

While he was pointing his gun at the target, delicate hands suddenly touched him. Junho flinched at the stranger's touch but the man only told him to calm down, saying something about how he was holding the gun wrong and how he was gonna hurt himself if he kept holding it like that.

Focusing on the deep velvet voice, Junho allowed the man to teach him how to use a gun. Since Chansung already told him everyone in this safe spot was trustworthy, Junho didn't ask questions on who the man was, he listened to the man's instructions on how to use the firearm.

After about two hours of no improvement, Junho decides that he's far better at close range combat, saying he'd rather slice an undead's neck off with a knife rather than shooting the undead's heads off with a gun. The man laughed at his words, calling him a funny kid while also asking for his name. Junho saw the soft smile on the man's face, it was genuine, and it made him feel warm again. He introduced himself to the stranger, asking for the man's name in return.

The stranger picked up one of the guns and started

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter