Mr. Tag and The Toad

Bun In The Oven

 

 

Seungmin enters the coffee shop while searching for his tall friend. He thinks he hasn’t seen Youngtaek in person for three months already. Damn he misses his best friend. He hears a little commotion from one of the corners of the coffee shop. Ah, it must be his best friend over there.

He walks to the corner where he hears the little commotion. And true to his guess, there Youngtaek is already sitting with his husband, Jibeom.

“Oh My God leave me alone, you toad!” Youngtaek folding his arms in front of his chest while pouting cutely.

“Nope can do Mr. Taaaag!” Jibeom answers annoyingly while making a face to his husband.

Seungmin chuckles while witnessing their interaction. He misses these idiotic couple.

“Hey lovebirds, quit your loving quarrel, okay? People try to have a coffee in peace here.”

“Seungminieeeeee! Oh my God, I miss you much!” Youngtaek sulky face immediately lights up like a christmas tree seeing Seungmin’s face.

 

Youngtaek bounces up and down in his seat while making a grabby hand toward Seungmin. Seungmin immediately walks forward and hugs Youngtaek in his seat. He eyes Youngtaek in wonder.

“Wow Youngtaek, you look… '' Seungmin catches Jibeom’s frantic gesture in the corner of his eye. Jibeom crosses his hands while making a panicky face. Fortunately, Seungmin understands Jibeom signal and hastily changes the word in the tip of his tongue “…so good”.

“Oh Seungmin, you look good yourself, thank you.” Youngtaek beams at his best friend. 

Jibeom sighs and thanks God that Seungmin understands his signal. 

“Hey Seungmin, where is Jaehyun?” now is Jibeom’s turn to shake hand with Seungmin.

“He will be a little late. his meeting took longer than his prediction.”

They have been best friends since their high school days. They used to form an emo band because they had nothing better to do in high school. Seungmin was the vocalist, Youngtaek played the drum, Jibeom played the guitar, and his boyfriend, Jaehyun, played the bass. 

Surprisingly, their band got a little popular after Youngtaek uploaded their performance to YouTube as Mr. Tag. They were invited to some television program dubbed as young promising stars. But their fame naturally died down after two years because none of them wanted to pursue the band professionally. Except for Youngtaek, who pursues his dream as a lyricist.

They remain best friends after graduating high school even though none of their paths cross each other. Jibeom pursues his dream to be a novelist and now he is the rising hot author who always has his novel sold out within a week. Jaehyun continues his family business in the retail industry and Seungmin is a kindergarten teacher in training.

They became so close after a lot of hardship in their band era. But what made them even closer is their complicated relationship. 

Youngtaek and Jaehyun used to be boyfriend in middle school (they attended the same school). But they broke up after only three months because apparently Youngtaek get bored of relationship easily. He kept on changing partners through their high school years. Meanwhile, Youngtaek and Jibeom kept at each other’s throat at all times. They were fighting on a daily basis so Jaehyun and Seungmin got so used to their bickering.

So when Youngtaek and Jibeom announced that they are an official couple a little after their job seeking period, Seungmin and Jaehyun feels a mixed feeling of surprise and knowing at the same time. Apparently, Jibeom have always been in love with Youngtaek. He kept on riled Youngtaek up in their high school year because he was an idiot. And the fact that Youngtaek kept on changing his partner at a bullet speed didn’t help either.

 

Turns out, what Youngtaek searched for in a partner has always been something in Jibeom all along. After only a month into their relationship, Youngtaek asked for Jibeom’s hand in marriage. And Jibeom, just as smitten as Youngtaek, accepted his proposal right away. Seungmin and Jaehyun, to be honest, always expected that one day Youngtaek and Jibeom would announce how their relationship couldn’t work. But miraculously Youngtaek and Jibeom prove them wrong. 

Their roller coaster of a relationship is a complete opposite from Seungmin and Jaehyun’s. Seungmin asked Jaehyun to be his boyfriend in their second year of high school and they have been in a happy relationship ever since. In fact, the four of them manage to keep their good communication because of how steady Seungmin and Jaehyun's relationship is.

And now here they are.

“Youngtaek are you really okay now? Gosh we haven’t met for so long.” Seungmin takes a seat beside of Youngtaek. They choose a half circle seating sofa, so Youngtaek seated in between Seungmin and Jibeom.

“Yeah, I am completely healthy. Turns out our Tadpole decides to pile their growth spurt these past three months. Look at how big my belly is now!”

Yes, Youngtaek is eight month into his pregnancy now. And he is truly, indeed, very big.

“I know. You didn’t look pregnant at all the last time I saw you and you were into your fifth month.”

“That’s why the doctor ordered you to go on a strict bed rest. But you are so hell bent on finishing your work on time.  Look how wonderful the bed rest helps our Tadpole to grow!” Jibeom chimes in.

“Oh hush, husband. I already apologize, okay? And now I am as big as a house, thanks to you!” Youngtaek puts his finger in front of his lips and glares at Jibeom for good measure.

Oh right, here they are bickering again.

“Seungmin, hear me out. This Toad right here can’t back off of my back even for a second. He thinks I will slip and die if he takes his eye off of me or something!” Youngtaek starts his usual rants to his best friend excitedly.

“Please, can you imagine, Mr. Tag right here manages to almost trip on his own feet like ten times in a day!” Jibeom says while rolling his eyes.

“You are such a Drama Queen! I almost trip only like three times a day.”

“To be fair Youngtaek-ah, three times a day is already pushing it.” 

Seungmin can’t help but find the whole situation hilarious. He is glad Jibeom work’s nature allows him to be beside Youngtaek at all times. He can imagine how on edge Jibeom must feel all the time because of Youngtaek’s clumsiness. 

“But I can’t help it, Tadpole is growing so fast that my balance has been so off ever since!” Youngtaek whines while rubbing his belly. Youngtaek already is a clumsy person to begin with, no wonder the pregnancy affects his balance greatly.

“Oh it’s fine, Youngtaekie. But make sure to be careful, okay? It’s for you and your baby’s safety anyway.” Seungmin says while patting Youngtaek's head.

“Plus, I heard from Jaehyun that you cried while calling him because apparently Jibeom left you to take a shower and you felt lonely!” Seungmin grins playfully because it’s hilarious how Youngtaek pretends like he doesn’t like all of Jibeom’s attention. Jibeom just takes a shower for God’s sake, and they all know how quick Jibeom is when he takes a shower.

“Oh my God, that big mouth Bread, really!” Youngtaek hides his blushing face behind his hands.

“Oh really? I never knew about this. Okay, from now on I’ll let the door open while taking a shower!” Jibeom smiles so smugly that Seungmin suddenly has this urge to smack his head.

At that moment, the waitress calls out from the counter. “Mr. Kim Zibeom’s order!”

“Hey, Mr. Kim Zibeom, it’s our order!” Youngtaek smiles playfully at his husband, it sure is him who placed the order.

“Alright, Seungmin, can you help me carry the order? We already ordered for the four of us”

“Okay. Youngtaek wait for us okay”

“Okay!” Youngtaek chirps happily because God, finally he can get his food.

When Jibeom and Seungmin arrive in front of the counter, Seungmin whispers frantically to Jibeom. “By the way, what the hell Jibeom? Youngtaek will get mad if I say he is big?”

“Oh you can’t imagine it, Seungmin, hell will break loose. Spare me this one, okay?”

“Wel,l you better tell Jaehyun that. You know how loose my boyfriend’s mouth can be”. Mad Youngtaek is scary. Seungmin doesn’t want to imagine how mad PREGNANT Youngtaek is.

When they go back to their table, they can see Jaehyun approaching Youngtaek on their table.

They actually can hear Jaehyun’s voice saying, “Hey, Youngtaek! Wow, you are SO BIG!”

They can see Youngtaek’s red face even from a distance. He turns his head to look at Jibeom.

 “KIM JIBEOM YOU ARE SLEEPING ON SOFA FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE”

Oh well, lifelong Kim Jibeom (junior).