final.

to protect (and love)

 

Yujin thoroughly washed her hands on the sink, scrubbing each dirty, greasy hand with white soap that was starting to go black due to the oil that tainted her hands earlier when she fixed the rusty, old motorcycle that was stuck in the shop for a long time now. Once she was satisfied, the said woman turned off the running faucet, and flicked her hands off the sink to remove the excess water dripping off from her fingertips.

 

Absent-mindedly, she wiped her wet hands on her worn-off, dirty denim jumper as she walked away from the sink, and made her way towards the silent workshop. It was dimly lit as the night already fell with the flickering bulb only giving her enough light to see the small, crampy place. Walking past the workshop, and the motorcycle that she had been trying to fix since afternoon — Yujin reached for the rusty rolling door above, lifting it down with a little bit of effort, and strength because it kept getting stuck.

 

With a sigh, the woman then walked towards the messy table full of accessories, parts, and gears — picking up her wrist watch that was also tainted by the motor oil. Grumbling under her breath, she wiped it to her jumper before checking the time, and it said: 11:27pm.

 

It was already late, Yujin didn’t even realize. She was just so into fixing that damned, destroyed motorcycle that she didn’t even realize that it was already almost midnight. For sure, the two elderly in the house were probably waiting for her patiently. She didn’t even get to eat dinner at the same table with them because she was too busy, and focused. Mrs. Han personally delivered her the dinner earlier when she didn’t even go out of the shop.

 

They earned her an apology, and with that, Yujin finally decided to tidy up, and finally rest.

 

But in the middle of reorganizing the tools into the toolbox — her phone rang, its ringtone blaring around the small room. With a huff under her breath, Yujin stood up from her crouching position, and picked up the ringing phone from the table. “Han Auto Repair Shop. What can we do for you?” It was her usual greeting, and those words naturally rolled off her tongue as she accepted the call from an unknown number.

 

Getting a call while nearing midnight wasn’t unusual here. They were residing in the secluded countryside where there were rarely repair shops around, and well — sometimes, bad luck fell on random cars whenever they passed by on the main road. And there was where Han Auto Repair Shop came to the rescue, almost 24/7 open. Yujin didn’t live long enough in this place but she already knew how things worked here.

 

“Thank goodness someone picked up!” It was a man, judging by how deep his voice was. His tone was relieved, and it felt like he found water in the middle of a desert. Yujin pursed her lips, grabbing the pocket knife that was resting on the table, and played with it with the sharp blade open. “Uh, well, can you go here on the main road? Something got pierced into the tire, and we’re stranded. Please, go here as quickly as possible…” His voice was so desperate that it made Yujin roll her eyes.

 

The woman then started to throw the knife mid-air, catching it back on its handle perfectly before folding the blade into the handle, tucked snuggly and properly hidden. “Sure, give me a few minutes, sir.” replied Yujin, and hung up before the man on the other line could even utter something. After that, she pocketed her phone to her jumper alongside with her knife then finally prepared the toolbox she needed.

 

Shutting the door closed, Yujin ran to the small house nearby, and peeked on the open window — spotting Mr. Han reading a newspaper. The old man noticed her, perking up on his seat. “Yujin. It’s getting late, rest up.” He muttered softly but Yujin just threw him a small smile, and a shake of head.

 

“Someone called. Got em’ tires popped. I’ll be home as soon as possible, Mr. Han. Go to sleep now, it’ll be a long day tomorrow.” Yujin said, resting her elbows on the window sill. Mr. Han just nodded, standing up from his seat with a stretch, and groaned.

 

“Alright. Be careful, young lady,” The old woman reminded her, and Yujin grinned, pushing herself away from the window.

 

With a nod, Yujin then said, “You forgot to close the window again. Good night,” She closed the window after that, and dashed to the pick-up truck, and started its engine — it took her three tries to make the truck come to life. Well, what did she even expect from an old junk like this? But hey, it still could run properly, it was just so old.

 

Yujin arrived at the scene after five minutes. She spotted the car easily because of the open headlights coming from the side of the dark road. She almost ran over the guy because he tried to meet her halfway, and with an annoyed grunt — Yujin pulled over near the car in need of help. It didn’t take long for Yujin to realize that this guy was the same one who called her. He was already standing on the window, eyeing her with sparkly eyes like Yujin was heaven sent. In this kind of time, yes, she must be a heaven sent for him.

 

Taking the toolbox from the passenger seat, Yujin hopped off the pick-up truck, not even sparing the guy a glance as she walked towards the car with a flat tire. “Are you sure you can fix that? You’re a woman.” That was the first comment, and Yujin scowled, itching to punch this guy on the throat to prove something.

 

“Yes. I won’t work in an auto repair shop if I don’t know , right?” The mechanic hissed, venom lacing around her tone as she crouched to look at what pierced the tire, and immediately saw a nail tucked into the tire, and it didn’t look like a normal nail. It was long and it almost looked like a knife, and someone purposely pierced it there.

 

The guy was taken aback at the response but never said anything, just grumbling something under his breath, and stomped his foot on the pavement repeatedly in an impatient manner.

 

Yujin ignored him, and stood up, eyeing the slick, black luxury car. Fancy car, indeed. It was a black Jaguar. And she saw two other figures inside the car, even though the windows were heavily tinted, Yujin could sense the presence. And well, that concluded that this guy was the driver, seeing how he was frantic, and worried.

 

“Someone pierced the tire with a nail, I think,” Yujin started off, and the driver let out a heavy sigh, placing his hand on his sweaty forehead in a frustrated manner. “Do you have an extra tire there?” asked the mechanic, and she was slightly relieved when the guy nodded, walking to the trunk wordlessly. Yujin wouldn’t go back to the shop to find a suitable tire for this goddamn car. She was super tired already, and she just wanted a good ol’ sleep.

 

When the tire was out of the trunk, Yujin went back to her truck to get the car jack, and she was about to start fixing but suddenly, bright headlights blinded her which made her hiss, and squinted to take a good look. Two cars were headed this way. She was about to ignore it, and do her work as fast as she could when the said cars stopped nearby, and soon, multiple footsteps could be heard.

 

It caught Yujin’s attention, her sensitive ears perking up, and turned around to see the commotion. She was slightly surprised to see masked men rushing towards them, and some of them were even holding a weapon — knives, and steel bats, and thankfully, no one brought a gun. And a sense of familiarity hit Yujin that made her freeze.

 

All she knew at that very moment was that everything was planned — and not for Yujin, but for those people who were in this fancy car. And they were in big trouble. Once again, Yujin got tangled in a mess.

 

“W-Wha—” The driver was alerted, wearing a fearful look on his face as he fumbled on his phone, walking backwards then started to frantically slap the window. “M-Mr. Kim! Masked guys! Call ONE!” shouted the guy, and Yujin immediately stood up from her crouching position, her hand instinctively finding her pocket knife, and it was still in her pocket, much to her relief. She remained calm when the masked guys started to surround them, circling to trap them into the circle they formed, leaving them helpless, and without an escape.

 

Yujin knew she couldn’t get out of this mess already. She was too late to run for the truck then escape. She was tangled in this of a mess again. Seriously, she was so done, even in such a less dangerous area like this, she still ran into a problem. When would she even get a peace? She was living in silence for a few months already but geez, that quietness didn’t last long.

 

“Get the congressman, and his daughter. Dump the driver, and this… mechanic.” One of the guys commanded, his gaze turning to Yujin who was standing beside the car silently. His eyes were piercing, cold, and dark. But it didn’t even scare Yujin a bit, she already got to see a much more intense pair of orbs than his.

 

The mechanic was startled when the driver who was helplessly squeezing himself to the car, crying as he shakily fumbled on his phone got taken by three guys, taking the phone from him then threw it away. After that, Yujin was left to watch the driver get beaten helplessly, and her fingers twitched. This was the scene Yujin hated to see the most; innocent people getting hurt. She was so sure that the driver was clueless, and was just trying to do his job. Like Yujin, he got tangled into the web.

 

A guy crept in behind her, and Yujin’s eyes stilled on the driver who was getting beaten up pretty badly with the steel bats, bare fists, and shoe clad feet. His cries, and groans were filling up Yujin’s ears, and there was a sick churn in her stomach. Before the masked guy could even grab her, Yujin turned around in his direction, and landed a swift punch across his face that sent him stumbling into his feet, and fell onto the cold, hard ground, unconscious.

 

While the other guys were stunned at the action she pulled, she took it as an advantage to get the wrench, and screwdriver from the toolbox — smoothly throwing them to the two guys who were still beating up the poor driver before picking up the hammer, running towards the scene. The wrench square hit the first guy that knocked him out, and the screwdriver’s tip hit the second guy on the forehead.

 

Ooh, well, that would hurt a bit. Just a broken nose, and a small crack in the skull in the very center with a bleeding forehead. It sounded much better than death, to be honest.

 

And since Yujin knew she had no way to escape this mess, it would be better to try to knock them all out first. She knew it was not her business but she wasn’t willing to get hurt, and let herself get beaten up by a bunch of these masked, cowardly men. And she didn’t want the elderly couple to have a heart attack when she ever got home full of wounds, bruises, and bleeding hard. She wouldn’t risk it, they might kill her too, they all look capable enough to kill anyway. She just hoped she made the right decision.

 

In a lightning speed, she smashed the hammer to the limpy masked guy’s shoulders that made him screech, and fall into his knees. Yujin used it as a good timing to knee his face, and so, she did — her knee meeting his nose. Yujin slightly winced because the blood gushed out of his now broken nose like a water jet, drenching a spot on her denim jumper. She didn’t mind it for too long because finally, the other remaining guys were alerted, and were ready to attack her.

 

Yujin walked backwards, trying to spot her toolbox since the tools inside it would help, and boost her. After all, she was outnumbered, and she needed a weapon that could only create a minor, and slightly severe damage to them. The guys who were still conscious, Yujin counted, were around ten. She could bust their asses for sure, but she shouldn’t be too confident because they got weapons in their hands. She knew that one of them would pull out a gun soon.

 

“You !” A guy yelled, swinging his bat to Yujin but the latter swiftly dodged it, leaning away, and barely avoiding the steel bat but she was confident that it wouldn’t hit her at all. His moves were too predictable, and sluggish, acting out of impulse.

 

When Yujin got to see an opening as the guy raised both of his hands while holding the bat, ready to smash her — Yujin beat him to smash him first, swinging her hand with the hammer to his ribs. The solid hammer met with his ribs, and oh, Yujin heard the crushing of his bones followed by a high-pitched, pained scream from him but Yujin wasn’t going to pity him.

 

After that, Yujin pushed him away, and he landed on the ground while convulsing extremely as he held his stomach. The mechanic then picked up the fallen steel bat, inspecting it first, and nodded to herself when she realized that it would do, she just needed to take it easy, she didn’t want to cause a huge damage after all.

 

When she focused her eyes ahead of her, she spotted that some of the guys were already smashing the car’s window, and trying to open the door. There were panicked, angry shouts coming from the car, and Yujin rolled her eyes. Other people to save. She wasn’t getting paid enough for this . She spotted the poor, beaten driver who was shaking as he leaned on the hood of the car, watching her with wide, terrified eyes.

 

Hmm, she got those kinds of stares a lot.

 

But before she could even send him a smug smirk, another man stepped in, trying to stab her with his knife. Thankfully, Yujin’s senses didn’t fail her, as always — giving the guy a mocking, wide-eyes, faking a shock before doing a roundhouse kick on him — sending him flying across the road, then caught the knife that was thrown on the air when she kicked him. Yujin eyed the knife on her hand, skillfully spinning it around as she checked the quality, letting out a whistle when she saw that it was nice but she didn’t need it because she got a better one so she just threw it towards the other guy who was forcing out a man to get out of the car. The blade slashed through his leg, creating a not-so deep wound, enough to make him stumble, and hiss before landing on the ground with a soft clink.

 

The mechanic then attacked forward, smacking the guys who tried to defeat her with the steel bat she stole from them. All of them didn’t really stand a chance against her, and when one of the guys threw a knife towards her, Yujin just swung her bat, and it hit the knife like it was just a baseball, sending it across the road. Strike!

 

However, the last two were skilled fighters. They put up a good fight with Yujin, one with a knife, and one with bare hands. Yujin had a little bit of a hard time since one of them got her because her attention was divided when the both of them attacked her at the same time. The taller guy was skilled in martial arts, and kept sending her high kicks while the other kept swinging his bat.

 

Yujin tried to match them, and she was slightly annoyed because they were smug. But when Yujin attacked back, swinging her bat, it clashed with the other one — and that was a wrong move because the taller one really swept her off her own feet but the mechanic caught herself, immediately rolling away before one of them could pounce and trap her helplessly on the ground.

 

The guy with the bat tried to hit her while she was on the ground repeatedly like he was hammering a nail, and kept missing it. The nail — well, Yujin, kept rolling away each hit, dodging. And when she saw another opening, she immediately shifted position, and kicked the guy on the stomach with all of her strength which threw him off with a groan.

 

Yujin swiftly stood up without using her hands as support, and without missing a beat, sent a punch on the other guy but it barely fazed him, also attacking back. She heard another scream, and saw that two people were being dragged into one of the vans — rushing to get the real targets, and escape before Yujin could even get them. Because of this distraction, the man finally landed a hard blow on her face that made her stagger a bit, groaning, it was followed on the stomach — and Yujin hissed, walking backwards, throwing a glare to the man.

 

Gritting her teeth, Yujin finally leveled up her efforts, taking her knife from her pocket, and swiftly crouched to hit the guy on the leg when he surged forward. Her move probably caught him off guard that was why he didn’t get to act fast. Yujin didn’t even bat an eye when she ran away, leaving the guy with a bleeding leg, clutching on his injury.

 

Yujin still got a van to stop, and she halted in the middle of the road bravely, and the van came rushing towards her — with an intent to run through her, and kill her off. And it felt like slow motion, suddenly when the mechanic huffed out a breath, raising her hand in position, and closed her other eye — she then flipped the position of her knife, holding it in the very tip of the blade.

 

Another breath, and the headlights were flashing, blinding her but it didn’t ruin her focus. But when she finally got the perfect timing, Yujin threw the knife towards the van with all of the strength she mustered.

 

A blink, and the knife hit the windshield — breaking through the glass that created tons of crack on the windshield but it only pierced in the now broken glass, stuck — not fully breaking in. Well, that was Yujin’s intention, break the windshield, and not kill the driver — but blind him to the road, this wouldn’t allow him to see the clear road because of panic, and scare him off.

 

It was a success because once the knife pierced through the windshield — it shook the driver that the van started to zigzag, crushing through the Jaguar car. Yujin smirked before running towards the crushed van, taking the pocket knife out of the windshield, and used her elbow to crush the window of the driver’s seat — opening the door, and dragged the dizzy driver out of the vehicle then kicked him in the face, knocking him out cold.

 

The remaining two finally went out on their own, trying to put up a fight but they were obviously shaky, and scared.

 

Wiping the blood that leaked out from , Yujin flipped the pocket knife, folding it close before tucking it into her pants. She properly wore the strap of her jumper because it was starting to loosen around her waist after all of those fights. She ignored the stinging in her face, and the painful sensation on her stomach.

 

One of them attacked her with a cry, using a bat but Yujin didn’t even make an effort to defeat him with one kick on his side. She huffed at him, ready to finish this goddamn fight but when she looked up, a gun was pointed at her forehead that made her instantly freeze.

 

“D-Don’t move or I’ll ing shoot you!” The guy poorly threatened, he was shaking badly, as he held her at gunpoint. Yujin wasn’t fazed even a slightest bit, not even lifting her hands up to surrender, and just stared at him blankly. “Let us out of here alive, and I-I’ll spare you!” He tried to negotiate but it was rather a plea, as his eyes were shaking.

 

With a sigh, Yujin smoothly turned her body to the side so the gun wasn’t pointing at her then held the guy’s arm, preventing him from pointing the gun at her again. She then swiftly took the gun out of his grasp, even showing him how she disassembled it fast while her eyes were on him. “You guys are sure handful,” murmured the mechanic before smashing his head with the of the gun, and watched him lay on the floor with a grunt, and sobbing for his life as he held his bleeding forehead.

 

Rolling her eyes, Yujin threw the gun away with a heavy sigh. She then looked around, and massaged her temples when she saw that tons of men were laying in the middle of the road, either unconscious or couldn’t stand up because of the pain or injury Yujin gave them.

 

She just wanted to go home.

 

Tiredly, Yujin turned to the driver — his face was really beaten up thoroughly, and still shaking at the corner as he eyed her fearfully. The mechanic rolled her eyes. “I’m out. I helped you guys, and all. Leave me out of this. Don’t even find me.” She spat, and the driver flinched, nodding frantically.

 

With that, Yujin didn’t even check out the other people in the van. She was too tired, and annoyed. Because of them, she got involved in this again. She grabbed all the tools she used to defeat these weak men, and placed them in her toolbox. After that, she went to the truck, and started it — ready to go home.

 

Before she even left, she saw the two other people present in the scene. The ones who almost got kidnapped if it weren’t for Yujin saving their asses. One old man in his mid-fifties, and a woman in a white dress. Yujin got a good look at the older man, and recognized his face immediately. Congressman Kim Nomin. His face was all over the newspaper, television, and other posters around the whole country since he was running for the presidential position.

 

Hmm, what were the odds? She just saved an important politician. Kim Nomin was a wise guy, and he was pretty decent, but he also had some dirt in his name like infidelity, and others.

 

And why was he roaming around the country without a security team? He was a presidential candidate now, for god’s sake.

 

Now, who might be this woman that was with her. She didn’t look like his mistress or something. But eh, Yujin didn’t care about them anyway. She just hoped that they would leave her alone in exchange for Yujin saving their asses. It was enough.

 

And Yujin finally drove off away from the scene, but before she could go even far, her eyes met the nameless woman’s eyes as she passed by — and she was a little bit struck. It was warm, tainted with fear but nevertheless, they were sparkly, and honey. Despite their distance, Yujin could see them perfectly, and before that pair of warm honey orbs could pull her in and drown her — Yujin looked away, turning to the road ahead of her, driving away from that mess. And forget everything that happened that very night.

 

Yujin’s mind was in the gutter as she drove home, she couldn’t erase the picture of those foxy-like eyes on her that she didn’t even notice the three vehicles zoomed past through her on the other way.

 

///

 

When ONE agents arrived at the scene, they were surprised to see a dozen men on the ground, some were unconscious, some were injured, and some were trying their best to crawl for an escape — yet they were relieved to see Congressman Kim with his daughter and driver, safe and unharmed, well… the driver’s face was bleeding. The chief immediately ran towards the congressman.

 

“S-Sir, are you alright?” Chief Song asked worriedly, and shouted to his men that they should take care of the mess. “What happened?”

 

The man cleared his throat, “ my daughter first into safety. She’s shaken,” He ordered, and the chief nodded, asking a man to the only woman present in the scene. They walked away silently, with the said woman looking around, and still slightly shaking.

 

“Seems like someone ordered these men to ambush me while I was guard-less.” Mr. Kim answered when his daughter was safely sitting inside one of the cars, away from this kind of mess. This was the thing he didn’t like the most, how could he be so confident and careless to go out without security, and when he was also with his daughter who just came from another country. He was being too secretive, and that almost led them to their deathbeds. “They got us good.” added the older man.

 

The chief was mum, looking around, then his eyes went to the congressman again, curious. “Then why…” He didn’t even get to finish when the congressman replied with a struck smile.

 

“Believe it or not. A woman saved us, the supposed mechanic that was about to fix our car. I believe that the nail on the tire was part of their plans too.” The presidential candidate said, scratching his chin. And the chief was taken aback, well, strong girls do exist but… taking all of these bulky, tall men by herself? Now, that was on another level.

 

“Did you say… a woman, and she’s a mechanic?”

 

“That woman isn’t ordinary, chief. That woman is skilled, and properly trained to be a fighter. If I’m correct, she definitely underwent a harsh military training, her physique is something else too.” replied the congressman, fixing his glasses that were perched on his tall nose.

 

The chief froze at that, pursing his lips tightly for a moment before throwing a question. “May I know if this woman is around 5’7, tan skinned, intense eyes, and has a scar on her forehead, near her eyebrow?” His heart skipped a beat when the congressman perked up, nodding surely. For sure, he got to take a good look at their ‘savior’.

 

“Yeah. Definitely,” Kim Nomin said, and hummed, eyeing the chief with a pointed look. “Do you perhaps… know her, Chief Song?” asked the congressman, and there was no point in lying so the chief nodded.

 

“Yes. I know her. She trained under my wing before in the military, and she’s an excellent fighter. This is definitely her work. She’s great at handling herself in this kind of situation, she’s a monster in the battlefield. Being outnumbered isn’t her fear, instead, it’s her favorite. No such normal woman can beat those men like that. And she’s careful, no one died — up until now, she’s still scared of killing.” Chief Song shared while his eyes roamed around the knocked out men around the area, being checked by his agents.

 

A hum came from Nomin, obviously impressed at Yujin’s brutal skills. After all, he was one of the witnesses. Earlier, he thought it would be his end but this woman suddenly started to throw some fists, and tools. And he was in awe. She should be rewarded for saving such an important figure like Nomin.

 

“Excellent, you knew her, that’s great.” The congressman said, and smiled knowingly. “I want you to find her, chief. I want her to be my guard — no, I got the other best ones already. Hmm, perhaps, for my daughter. She needs real protection, especially that the presidential election is coming up. They will target her.” He added, and the chief shook his head at that.

 

“I’m sorry but… Ahn Yujin is out of our reach. She’s on the run, and the government is trying to keep track of her because of a case. She is a former mercenary soldier of a certain PMC. And well, she—”

 

“I don’t care about that. You know how powerful I am, chief. Recruit her to ONE, and make her as my daughter’s bodyguard, no matter what. We’ll clean her records, and everything in exchange for her employment under ONE. Do whatever it takes.” Congressman Kim said with finality, and Chief Song cowered under his gaze with a sigh.

 

It was a very bad idea but then, Kim Nomin was a powerful man. He could definitely dump Yujin’s alleged case in one flick of his fingers. But recruiting her would be a pain in the because he knew Yujin very well. He didn’t have a say in this because Congressman Kim’s words were absolute, he co-owned ONE Security Company. He was his boss.

 

“Yes, sir. We’ll try our best,”

 

“I don’t care if you need to threaten her. That woman is going to be useful, so useful for my daughter. She’s the one who can protect her. At all costs, chief, hire that mechanic.” said Nomin, and with that, he walked past him, and went to join his daughter into the car, leaving him standing there alone.

 

Well. They would definitely need some forcing to make Yujin join ONE.

 

///

 

Yujin loudly chewed on her gum, not minding the stinging sensation on her cheek, and jaw as she swung the axe downwards, and the wood was cut into half. The fight only happened two nights ago and her bruises weren’t that healed yet but it was better than yesterday. She was wearing a patch on her cheek.

 

Mrs. Han was livid when she saw Yujin’s face the next morning, and forced her to rest for the whole day, and threatened to lock her room if she was being stubborn. She didn’t allow Yujin to go to the shop even though the woman kept whining that she was all good, and that she just accidentally fell over with the side of her face landing first — of course, she didn’t say anything about her stomach, it was covered and hidden. At least Yujin was a good liar. She was living a whole lie anyway.

 

But thankfully, the elderly woman finally allowed her to at least do some house chores, and follow her husband later at noon instead. Yujin didn’t whine anymore after that, doing nothing always made Yujin restless even though she was injured.

 

She finally gathered the stack of chopped woods, and tied them all together with a rope, and then slung it on her back — using the rope as the straps. With that, she walked down on the sturdy hill with heavy woods on her back but she didn’t even feel the weight that much. She was trained to carry something heavier than this stack of wood before so her body was used to heavy weights on her, and that weight wasn’t a hindrance to her speed anymore.

 

When she finally arrived at the house, it was oddly quiet, and the mechanic halted on her steps. She took off the ropes away from shoulders, letting the stack of wood land on the ground with a soft thud. A shiver passed through Yujin’s spine, and she didn’t like the eerie aura coming from the quiet household.

 

There was something wrong, that was for sure. Yujin could feel it, she could smell it, she could sense it.

 

Yujin grabbed a chopped wood, sneakily and stealthily made her way towards the small house. The windows were tightly shut when they were literally wide open earlier when Yujin went to the hill to get woods — Mrs. Han never closed the windows in daytime even if it was raining, and Mr. Han was in the shop. With that thought, she took a glance at the shop nearby, seeing the rolling door was up, and open, but it was unusual — there were no noises coming from the barn turned into a shop.

 

The mechanic then went to the backdoor instead, making no noise, and pressed her ears against the wooden door but as expected, she couldn’t hear anything else. By now, she should’ve heard Mrs. Han’s hum while she was folding newly washed clothes.

 

Something was really wrong.

 

Yujin opened the door, slowly, and carefully, trying to make no noise — fortunately enough, she fixed the hinges of this door before so it wasn’t noisy when it was getting opened or closed. She then scooted to the other side, taking a peek. She saw a shadow figure by the kitchen, obviously, it wasn’t Mrs. Han nor Mr. Han at all.

 

Without thinking much, Yujin slipped on the gap of the door, she didn’t even bother to close it, and just crawled silently under the table, taking a good look — her ears were listening attentively, searching for a noise.

 

“She’s taking too long,” A gruff voice came from the living room, and Yujin scowled at that, her grip on the wood tightening, and she could already feel splinters piercing her palm but she just stayed silent, observing. She knew she shouldn’t act too hastily, especially that the elderly couple must’ve been involved… she just hoped that these bimbos didn’t hurt them at all.

 

“Hey, you, old woman. You told me that she’s chopping some wood, why is she taking so long?” Another voice intensified, and to Yujin’s relief, it seemed like the elderly couple weren’t disposed of yet.

 

Yujin let out a silent growl, finally moving against the kitchen counter silently, and took a peek to the living room, seeing three figures circling two people that were on the floor. Biting her lower lip, Yujin could feel her patience, and temper slipping out of her grasp as she saw that Mr. and Mrs. Han were tied up together, and their mouths were covered, they could only squirm, and cower in fear — tears forming in their eyes.

 

Now, this was the very least she wanted to happen. Not them, goddamn it. Not Mr. and Mrs. Han who kindly took her in when she was in need of shelter and food, the ones who offered her a welcoming place to stay in, and even a job that made her feel… normal, and peaceful. Not those people!

 

They found her. And they found her guardians. Of course, they would target them first if they wanted something from Yujin. That was for sure. But Yujin didn’t want to negotiate, should she just really kill them for real so they could off, and leave her alone? But that would be a bigger risk. She knew after this ‘situation’, all of her lies were going to be exposed. The elderly couple would know what she was, and what she did for a living before she stumbled with their paths.

 

Fueled by anger, Yujin finally attacked from the back — hitting the first one she could reach on the head. But the other two got alerted, and they were fast — it didn’t take long for Yujin to learn that they were well-trained, and judging by their attire, they were agents.

 

Yujin tried to strike down the second one but he was fast, blocking her attack, and tried to stun her by holding her arm firmly — he gave an opening for his companion to attack but Yujin wouldn’t let herself get beaten that fast. The woman twisted her body, and the guy who was holding her also got twisted around, and that made the grip on her loosen — Yujin got out of the grip fast, then dodged the attack of the other one.

 

She then threw a punch on the attacker’s throat, sending her stumbling backward while choking, then grabbed the rolled newspaper laying on top of the coffee table, using it to strike the other agent’s face with a loud slap, then another, and another. It looked silly but it was effective. And after another one, she finally sent him off crushing to the wall with a hard kick on his chest.

 

Crouching, she swiftly grabbed the chopped wood, and smacked it to the recovered agent’s ankle (who she punched on the throat), making him release a pained yell as he fully stumbled on his foot. She then surged forward to the other one, pinning him against the wall before he could even pull his gun. She firmly held his gun against his chest so he wouldn’t be able to point, and shoot, and after a few moments of resisting, Yujin kneed the guy on his jewels, and that made him scream, his strength slipping out of his body as he got attacked on his vulnerable part. With that, Yujin got his gun out of his shaky hand, disarming him — she then disassembled the gun so it wouldn’t be useful anymore, and when he suddenly started to fight back again, Yujin pushed him against the wall, pinning him again.

 

Her arm was pushing his throat, and her other hand was firmly gripping his shoulder, keeping him in place, and locked. Yujin glared at him, “Who are you guys? Why are you here?” asked the mechanic through gritted teeth.

 

The agent was struggling to breathe, and he was squirming in her hold, resisting. He did not answer, and that angered Yujin even more, allowing herself to push him even further until he was gasping for air, choking. She knew that the elderly couple was bewildered, and watching but she wanted answers.

 

“ing answer me!”

 

“We’re from ONE Security, working under Congressman Kim Nomin.” A completely different yet familiar voice came from behind and answered her, which made her freeze, and that was the moment Yujin realized that there was another person present in this very house. He was watching behind the shadows, remaining hidden, and away from Yujin’s sight.

 

That voice that she hadn’t heard for years, the voice that she used to hear daily, nagging at her, commanding her. She wouldn’t fail to recognize such a voice.

 

“Captain Song Yi.” murmured Yujin, and her grip on the agent loosened but still not completely letting him go, only allowing him to breathe more properly. She slightly tilted her head to look at the chief, and her former captain when she was still training in the military.

 

And she was not surprised when she was held at gunpoint but her muscles became tense. The man was pointing his gun at her as he walked at the side, making Yujin take a good look at him. Captain Song stared at her with his intense eyes, the same eyes she feared before but now, it didn’t scare her one bit anymore.

 

“It’s Chief Song now, Ahn Yujin.” said Yi, and pushed the pistol further so that it collided with Yujin’s temple albeit gently.

 

Yujin wasn’t fazed, even daring to meet Yi’s eyes. Her former captain aged a bit, there were wrinkles in his face, and he was skinnier but he remained strong, and powerful, his authoritative aura never faded, instead it became more intense than ever. This man used to train her, and educate her. He was one of the people who made Yujin skilled, and knowledgeable like this.

 

“What do you guys want from me?” Yujin questioned, straight to the point, and the chief pursed his lips, trying not to smile in amusement. “I’m living in peace and I told them not to goddamn ruin it after I saved their asses.” added the mechanic with a scowl.

 

Yi clicked his tongue. “Living in peace? You’re on a run, Yujin. I know everything.” He opened up, and Yujin visibly tensed at the mention, throwing a dagger look at the chief.

 

“If you know everything then you know that I got framed for killing her. I’m not on a run, I’m innocent, and I’m saving myself from getting imprisoned for something I didn’t even do.” spat the former soldier with a hiss full of hatred, her arms were shaking, and eventually, she let the agent escape from her hold, almost throwing him on the ground so she could fully face the chief.

 

The whole revelation probably caught the elderly off-guard. They didn’t know everything about Yujin. They thought that Yujin was just a homeless woman, desperate for a place to stay that she was willing to do everything just to get food and shelter. They didn’t know that Yujin was a former military operative who was skilled in combat, and guns, who was capable of beating grown men’s asses just like that, and harming people.

 

The older man didn’t move an inch, following Yujin’s forehead with the tip of his gun, aiming at the center of her head while his finger rested on the trigger. “I know.” whispered Yi, and his voice softened alongside his gaze. “I know you got framed, I know you didn’t kill Hussey at all. You’re still the same Ahn Yujin who wouldn’t kill someone without a huge reason.”

 

Yujin rolled her eyes at that, shaking her head but she kept mum. Yi continued. “I’ll help you clear up your name and in exchange, you’ll join ONE as a bodyguard,”

 

Well, the purpose finally came out. Yujin’s eyes widened at that but she wasn’t surprised at the offer but rather to the audacity of him. She sneered, her brow twitching. “Join you guys? After I got betrayed by my own country!?” her voice raised an octave higher, she was burning in hatred. “I think you know that I won’t agree to such an offer, Chief Song. I’ll rather be on the ‘run’ rather than serve you people and this freaking country again.” mocked the former soldier, huffing out a breath.

 

A chuckle escaped Yi, cocking his head sideways with a small smile forming on his lips. “That’s why I’m here to threaten you because I know you wouldn’t bat an eye to our proper offer of hiring you as one of our bodyguards. It’s the only way,” The smile turned into a fake one and Yujin let out a growl. “I know you will refuse. But I just want to say that this is Congressman Kim Nomin’s showing of gratitude when you saved him two days ago. And he won’t take ‘no’ as an answer.” And Yujin’s scowl even deepened.

 

The mechanic started to think, well she could beat Yi, that was for sure but the whole agency, and the presidential candidate himself knew her, and the important people in her life recently — they wouldn’t let her breathe anymore.

 

“Can he show his gratitude by leaving me the off?”

 

“He saw your skills, Ahn. And he wants you to be in ONE, immediately. Threatening isn’t my style, you know that, but his words are absolute so I’m sorry.” Yi responded, still not letting his guard down, then smirked. “Don’t you even think of doing something stupid, Ahn. Or else,” He then tilted his head towards the direction where Mr. and Mrs. Han were — the agents were already on their feet, looking in pain but they were pointing a gun on each of their heads. “You know me, Ahn. Unlike you, I’m capable of killing without a reason if needed. It’s the order.”

 

Yujin’s jaw slackened, trembling in fury as he glared at Yi, her breaths were heavy, trying to calm herself down.

 

When Yi saw the hesitance, he let out a sigh, finally revealing, “One last chance, Ahn. If you accept, we’re going to help you put Jung Anseong behind bars, and reveal to the public that he was the one who killed Hussey and his other deeds. We’re going to gather enough evidence,” He said, and Yujin’s ears rang when she heard the other offer, freezing.

 

“Anseong is the one who ordered someone to kill Hussey, right? He framed you for killing Hussey. And he’s running for the president position too. He’s Congressman Kim’s greatest rival in this election. It’s hitting two birds in one stone, yes? You’ll get your desired revenge on him.”

 

Yujin gulped, fists clenching as her stare hardened. Yi took a deep breath, lowering his gun, and tucked it in his belt, fully lowering his guard down as he trusted Yujin that she wouldn’t do anything. He stared at the silent mechanic.

 

“In three days, after you settle everything. Go to ONE’s headquarters, anytime, you can visit. But you won’t appear by six in the evening by the third day. You’re dead as a meat, alongside Mr. and Mrs. Han. Remember, you can’t escape anymore.” Yi said, and flicked his fingers towards the agents who immediately cut the rope that tied the couple up, and removed the cover on the mouths.

 

He then walked closer to Yujin, giving her a pat on the shoulders before exiting the house fully, with the injured agents limping behind him as they followed the chief — leaving Yujin’s mind in shambles.

 

///

 

Yi flipped through his paperwork, couldn’t help himself to glance at the clock for the nth time for this day. And now, it said, 5:51pm. It made Yi sigh, shaking his head then continued browsing through the stack of paperwork on his desk, loosening his tie as he continued to read.

 

Not long after, a knock could be heard, and the corner of his lips tugged upwards, glancing at the clock, and it was a minute before exact six. “Come in,” He yelled, and the door swung open instantly, revealing a tall woman marching down to his desk after closing the door.

 

Standing in front of him, Ahn Yujin — her posture was stiff but straight and formal. She was full of hesitance as she padded forward but it held courage.

 

“Always arriving on time, Ahn Yujin,” Yi commented with a knowing smile, and almost laughed when Yujin just scowled at him.

 

“You guys leave Mr. and Mrs. Han alone.” Yujin started off, straight to the point as usual, and the chief nodded slowly, lips pursed as he intently looked up at the former soldier of his. “And you will help me find solid evidence of Anseong killing Hussey to clear my name, and give Hussey the justice she deserved.” added Yujin, clenching her fists, and biting her lower lip that it almost drew blood. It was almost painful to see her like this, Yi thought. Lowering her pride, and doing what she didn’t like to do anymore for safety, and justice.

 

Yi smiled at Yujin, standing up from his seat. “You have my word. I promise you that, Yujin.” He seriously said then grabbed a paper, sliding it towards the younger woman. “This is a contract. For your job, of course. The offers I mentioned to you, you know I’ll do it, you know me Yujin. We won’t disturb the kind couple anymore, and we’re even going to send a little help. And Jung Anseong? Definitely, that guy is going to rot in jail. All of these, in exchange for your employment under ONE.” Yi elaborated, and passed Yujin the pen which the latter held on tightly, taking the contract then reading through it thoroughly.

 

Soon after, Yujin signed it with a shaky hand, and gently slammed the pen down, taking a deep breath as she looked up to meet Yi’s eyes. The chief tilted his chin upwards. “Welcome to ONE, Ahn Yujin. I’m Song Yi, the Chief Executive of ONE Security.” A smile was then thrown to the new agent. “Pleased to be working with you, again. Agent Ahn.”

 

///

 

Yujin eyed her own reflection on the mirror emotionlessly. She only snapped back in reality when a knock coming from the door intensified. With a sigh, she properly fixed her black tie around her collar then straightened her black blazer, looking way more presentable. This wasn’t her first time to be hired as a bodyguard, she did it before too but it didn’t last because it wasn’t just for her — she wanted thrill, she wanted to always fight, and all — and being a bodyguard of a famous celebrity wasn’t just it. She was just a display, and blocking out some hysterical fans. Too boring.

 

But before, she had options but now… she didn’t have choices anymore so she was once again tangled into a mess where she wasn’t originally involved to begin with. And mostly, whenever she got involved in such a mess, it always didn’t end up very well.

 

With one final look, she turned around, and went out of the small locker room — she was greeted by another agent, a woman — thankfully. She was already getting annoyed at the lack of women’s presence in the agency. Men were always around, and that irked Yujin a lot.

 

“Chief Yi is waiting for you at the balcony,” She was pretty but there was a stoic look on her face, seemingly almost uninterested about everything. She was wearing the same outfit as hers but she had an earpiece on. “What is your name, new one?” asked the female agent, and that caught Yujin off-guard a bit since she looked like she wasn’t the type of person who asks for a stranger’s name.

 

“Am I allowed to say my name here? I—”

 

“Yes, you are. In the headquarter’s premises, we are allowed to be called by our real names. But outside? Hmm. We should be really careful about that matter,” The shorter woman said plainly, and Yujin almost thought she was being sarcastic. If it weren’t for Yujin’s good observant nature, she would’ve mistaken this woman as a serious joke.

 

“Ahn Yujin.” Yujin simply introduced herself, trailing behind the female agent, just one step back.

 

A hum came from the other woman, nodding, there wasn’t a familiarity glint in her cold eyes. “Nice to meet you. I’m Kang Hyewon. I go by the codename of Scar.” said Hyewon, and Yujin noted it, nodding along. “Better remember it because we might be in the same unit soon.” added the other female agent, and then halted, pointing ahead them, and peeked through her shoulder. “The balcony is just right there, just find Chief Yi around.”

 

With that, Hyewon walked away without bidding a goodbye. Yujin blinked, and shrugged it off, walking towards the said place, and immediately spotted Chief Yi, smoking a cigarette while leaning against the steel railings. When he noticed her, he pushed himself away from the railings, and took the stick off from his mouth. “Looking well prepared, Agent Ahn,” greeted the older man, and Yujin remained poker faced, bowing a bit to her superior. “Ahh, did you come up with an alias now? You know we can’t keep calling you with your real name, now, would we?” Yi added with a chuckle, taking the pack of cigarettes out from his trouser’s pocket, offering it to Yujin.

 

Yujin stared at the offered cigarette, finally taking a stick, and let Chief Yi light up the tip of the cigarette with his lighter. She took a long drag from her own lit cigar, and huffed out the smoke, looking down at the view before them. It was exquisite, the company was in the heart of the city of Seoul anyway — the tall skyscrapers were all reaching high, and full of light. It was night, and there was just something in the night life of the city that intrigued Yujin a lot. Pleasing to see the lights coming from different buildings, and other establishments — oh, watching the vehicles move on the road was also relaxing.

 

“Ace,” muttered Yujin after a long silence between them, flicking the cigarette between her fingers — letting the burnt ashes fall, and fly to the ground, and some dancing along with the cold air. Yi hummed in confusion, not catching her.

 

“Pardon?”

 

Yujin took another drag from her stick, and exhaled the smoke, watching it disappear in thin air before dropping the now small cigarette on the ground, stepping it on it to extinguish the smoldering fire. “Ace will be my codename.”

 

The chief just nodded, smiling as he puffed out the smoke from his mouth then said, “You will start working tomorrow. Now, you need to go to the main office to get your files, and other documents settled. We need some proper pictures of you too, thus, we made you wear the suit, and to see if it fits.” He explained, then shrugged. “And since you have no place to stay in, the agency prepared a place for you. My secretary will inform you about everything you need to know. Your clothes are already prepared since we finally determined your size.” continued the chief, and also extinguished his own cigar, finally about to walk away, and leave Yujin there.

 

“Am I going to meet Congressman Kim tomorrow, properly? I’m going to be in his team after all.” asked the woman, pocketing her hands to her trousers, and Yi was a little bit confused for a second before perking up.

 

“Well, yes, you will.” Yi answered, and flashed a smile. “And you’re wrong. You won’t be assigned to protect Congressman Kim.”

 

Yujin was surprised to hear that, it was her turn to be confused. She eyed the chief who was wearing a gentle smile, still, demanding for further explanation because as far as she knew, she would serve and protect the presidential candidate. It was common sense already so she concluded.

 

“You won’t be Congressman Kim’s bodyguard. He already got enough,” Chief Yi responded like he read her mind, and added. “You will be his illegitimate, secret daughter’s bodyguard starting tomorrow, Ace.”

 

///

 

“I will be fine, Mr. Han, I’m sure of that. I’ll call you guys again soon, okay? Tell Mrs. Han to eat her meals on time… goodbye.” Yujin hung up after bidding her goodbye, placing her phone inside the pocket of her trousers as she strided down the hallway of ONE’s headquarters. She ignored the curious, and amazed gazes of the other agents lurking around as she made her way towards Yi’s office.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Han were shaken at first but once they were fully enlightened about Yujin’s real identity, they weren’t too confused, and scared anymore. Instead, they were worried, and a little bit angry at Yujin because she hid secrets but then — they understood, and accepted Yujin the way she was. They were reluctant to send her off since it always felt like Yujin was the child they never had. Yujin convinced them after countless attempts, promising to update them weekly about her condition, and dangerous job. But hey, it was a proper one.

 

She entered the office, and wasn’t too taken aback to see other five women lined up in front of Chief Song’s desk, standing up straight with their chin tilted up confidently. Yujin spotted a familiar face, and it was Hyewon. Hmm, she was right, it looked like they were going to work together in one unit.

 

“Finally, the last one arrived,” Chief Yi said with a raised brow, gesturing Yujin to line up as well, and the agent subtly rolled her eyes, and also stood beside someone unfamiliar — she got a blonde hair, and well, friendly-looking face because she was the only one who wasn’t too serious. Her face was soft, and she sent Yujin a small smile when the taller one settled beside her. “Now, you guys are informed about the formation of this unit. After thoroughly picking the right agents to be placed in this exclusive, special team with a sole goal of protecting the daughter of Congressman Kim — we concluded that the six of you is the right combination. All skilled in many fields, yet with different specialities.” Yi said, pacing around the room, circling around them with his hands on his back.

 

“The special unit, Team 25. Always ready to protect their mistress at all costs.”

 

“Kim Chaewon, alias Jaguar.” Yi stopped in front of a woman who had short beige hair, looking stoic and cold as Hyewon but she looked very fierce, and her eyes were sharp, and intense as a jaguar indeed.

 

The chief then took a few steps forward, standing in front of a small woman. Yujin just knew her full height only reached her shoulders but short height also had a lot of advantages. “Yabuki Nako, alias Sky.”

 

Yi then moved on forward, eyeing Hyewon. “Kang Hyewon, alias Scar.” He said, and once again walked on until he was standing in front of another kind-looking yet serious woman with short black hair that reached her shoulder blades.

 

“Lee Chaeyeon, alias Eleven.” He nodded to the agent then turned to the blonde one standing beside Yujin.

 

“Choi Yena, alias Jaune.” Yi said, a knowing smile playing on his lips, and Yena flashed a bright smile then in a second, her expression turned serious when the chief moved to Yujin.

 

Yi and Yujin made eye-contact, and his eyes were trying to pin her down but she wasn’t easy to be intimidated, she stared back at the same intensity — to show that she still hated to be in this spot. “Ahn Yujin, alias Ace.” The corner of his lower lip twitched, and went back to the center again.

 

“Together, you guys will be in a unit. Team 25, like I mentioned earlier. You will serve, and protect none other than Congressman Kim Nomin’s only child, Kim Minjoo. Even if it costs your life, she must be protected from any harm and danger.”


 

///

 

“Well, it seems like we’re going to be in the same unit until the presidential election ends, or longer.” said Yena after they all left the office when Yi dismissed them, telling them they got three hours of getting to know each other. And after that, they would be sent to Congressman Kim’s house to meet him personally, and his daughter — the one they would protect.

 

Hyewon snickered, taking out a piece of chocolate from her blazer’s pocket, opening the plastic cover then shoved it in . “Yeah. And well, we practically know each other already, except for the new one here.” She said, pointing at Yujin who was following them silently, posture still straight as she fixed her earpiece.

 

Yujin nodded at them when she was called, “Nice meeting you guys. I’m looking forward to working with you all.” She politely greeted with a bow, and was immediately tackled by Yena, who was laughing at her as she ruffled Yujin’s hair.

 

“No need to be too formal, and polite, new one!” exclaimed Yena, finally letting go of Yujin, and the latter was surprised but then she knew that Yena would be the most outgoing, and loud one. Yujin was already comfortable because her presence was just warm, and bright. “We’re all friends here now~ Not just workmates.”

 

“Geez, Yena. Get off, Yujin. You might scare her.” Chaewon spoke, taking Yena away from the tallest by tugging her with the back of the blonde’s collar. Yena pouted at that, giving Yujin puppy eyes which made her chuckle.

 

“Then I’m relieved. I like being casual around people but since this job is, well, you know—”

 

“We know. But it’s better if we’re all comfortable with one another. All of us already got put into the same unit before, and worked with each other, trained too… I hope you will be comfortable with us, Yujin, and treat us as friends instead of workmates.” Chaeyeon was the one who spoke this time, wearing a warm smile, and she emitted a very friendly aura that also made Yujin a little bit relaxed around her.

 

Well, they all looked like nice people. Yujin was relieved, she wouldn’t be able to do her job properly if her teammates were all arrogant idiots, she would rather do the job alone or worse, kick their asses. They were very friendly, and good, so it wouldn’t take long for Yujin to warm up with them. For sure, she would be good friends with these people, and that was a good thing. If they would get along very well, then their job would be much easier. Less stress.

 

“And since you’re new to ONE. I’ll treat you some ice cream with the new team, a small celebration, sort of?” Hyewon said, her eyes were sparkling, and Yena and Chaewon high-fived. Yujin blinked, but then, she wouldn’t refuse a treat.

 

Nako squealed like a child, well, she looked even more like a child. “Hah, mint chocolate for me, Kang-chan~” She exclaimed, and instantly, Hyewon’s face scrunched, looking disgusted at the flavor that Nako mentioned. Also, Yena, making a gagging sound, commenting that the short woman should just brush her teeth or something, and enjoy a different, delicious flavor — earning a smack from Chaewon, who looked like she enjoyed eating mint chocolate flavored food like Nako.

 

Yujin chuckled at that, also murmuring. “Mint chocolate is not it.” That earned scandalous gasps from Nako and Chaewon while the others laughed, and beamed at her. With that, they exited the headquarters, going to the nearby ice cream shop. Yujin made it up to Nako and Chaewon by letting herself eat the mint chocolate ice cream they were offering.

 

Their small celebration ended quite well. It was full of laughter, and wholehearted talks. They got to know Yujin more, and Yujin got to know more of them but of course, everyone had a secret to keep. They only knew that Yujin was hired because of a situation where she saved Congressman Kim that night, and she trained in the military before but never got to pursue it more, and retired to reside in the countryside. She didn’t say she was a member of a PMC before, and was a mercenary soldier for years.

 

Soon, they were sent off to Congressman Kim’s house, more like a mansion because of how big it was. Yujin wasn’t too stunned to see the home of one of the most prolific politicians in the country. She wasn’t feeling too honored either.

 

And as they entered the palace-like home in a right posture, they were greeted by the congressman himself — he was sitting on one of his expensive chairs, a glass of wine in his hand, and stood up when the team approached him then bowed formally to show respect to him. Yujin’s expression didn’t faze, remaining stoic. He was the main reason why she got forced to join ONE, and ruined her ‘peaceful’ life. But then, also thanks to him, she would get her revenge on Jung Anseong, and give Hussey the justice she deserved.

 

“So, this is the special unit for my daughter,” Nomin said, nodding as he scratched his chin, satisfied. “I’ve read all of the files, and I’m impressed. Two of you worked for me before when I was appointed as the congressman too.” added him then his eyes went to Yujin, they sparkled in interest, and awe. “And I see that Ms. Ahn Yujin is also here now. I want to personally thank you for saving our lives there. You fled off immediately before we could even send our gratitude.”

 

Yujin’s jaw was set, breathing heavily through her nose. “I’m glad you’re okay, Congressman.” murmured the tall woman.

 

“Hmm,” Nomin hummed, taking a sip from his wine before placing it on the coffee table. “Now, I’m sure that the chief already informed you guys well. You guys will protect my daughter, guard her, and watch her moves closely. She can be a little bit feisty, and she’s very much against having people following her for her own safety.” Finally, Nomin started the topic, and he froze when footsteps coming from the staircase suddenly intensified, making him smile a bit, tightly. “And, here she comes.”

 

Yujin turned to the grand staircase just behind the congressman, waiting for the woman to descend, and she didn’t have to wait for too long because a woman wearing a pink nightgown finally appeared. Yujin’s sharp eyes scanned her.

 

Her long raven hair was messy, disheveled but still, it looked very attractive. Her nightgown was crumpled, and full of wrinkles, the hem of the dress reached below her knees, and she was barefooted. Her skin complexion was unhealthy, and pale but looked glassy, and smooth — and oh, those fox-like eyes were frantic, and wild.

 

When her chocolate orbs met the other woman’s honey eyes from the staircase, Yujin was hit with familiarity. She was the woman in a white dress with Nomin that night. Also one of the three people she saved. So, she must be Kim Minjoo, Congressman Kim’s secret child. Well, not a child anymore, she was a grown woman, aging around twenty-four to twenty-seven.

 

But since Yujin finally got to take a good look on her face without a longer distance between them, and the darkness not being a hindrance — the bodyguard was in awe to see her new mistress.

 

Kim Minjoo was beautiful. With her proud sharp nose, foxy eyes, luscious pink lips, firm jawline, prominent eyebrows, and her face was just angelic, and sharp that she looked like a doll. And Yujin wouldn’t exaggerate when she thought that this woman was a goddess. She had eyes after all, and she knew how to admire such a beauty.

 

However, her trance was broken when Minjoo broke their brief eye-contact, finally reaching the last step of the stairs then dashed towards the door in a haste — Yujin’s eyes widened, especially when she spotted a few guards descending from the stairs too, looking in panic as they tried to chase Minjoo.

 

Before she could even think of it thoroughly or ask, Yujin moved to meet Minjoo halfway, blocking her way to the door, and Minjoo turned to look at her with wide-eyes, full of hatred. Yujin didn’t even get to take a good closer look because Minjoo tried to escape past her but Yujin’s reflex was fast, she managed to catch Minjoo’s arm before she could even reach for the handle of the door.

 

“Get off me! Let me go!” shouted the woman in a pink dress, snarling, and trying to get out of Yujin’s strong grip. Yujin pursed her lips, holding her still, and faced her properly. When their eyes met for the second time that day, Yujin was slightly taken aback to see desperation in her sparkly orbs, almost begging Yujin through her gaze.

 

Yet, Yujin’s grip remained firm, holding her still while Minjoo desperately tried to pull her arm back, thrashing around until the other agents got a hold of the woman, pulling her away from Yujin as she squirmed, demanding the guys to let her go.

 

“Now, now, dearie.” Congressman Kim said with a sigh, shaking his head. “Before we let you out of this house. I want you to meet the special unit. They are assigned to protect you—”

 

“And follow me around!? I don’t need bodyguards! Just let me out of this house!” shouted Minjoo, still fighting for her freedom, and Yujin silently watched, her brow twitching.

 

“I will let you get your freedom, Minjoo. But in one condition, these girls here will keep an eye on you no matter where you go. They will keep you under surveillance for safety.” Nomin explained but his daughter just hissed, panting heavily, and straightened her nightgown when the agents finally let go of her but she didn’t run away, just glaring at her father from her spot.

 

Yujin didn’t flinch when Minjoo’s angry, bloodshot eyes went to pin her for a brief moment. “And you said that you will give me freedom? Is it called freedom, when people trail, and circle you around 24/7?! And my privacy, it’s almost non-existent, even my own room has its own CCTV. I would rather be in that convent in Spain than be in this damned household!” shouted Minjoo, and Congressman Kim’s face darkened.

 

The bodyguard was taken aback at the sudden revelation. This poor woman got her own freedom taken, and also her own privacy. Even her room, now that was something. Yujin was also uncomfortable at the thought. Minjoo was getting intensely monitored, and to think that would be Yujin’s job, well, this would be a very difficult one. Yujin would try her best to give her privacy as much as possible.

 

With that, teary-eyed, Minjoo ran towards the staircase again — and she was greeted by three women who immediately checked on her, genuinely worried for Minjoo, and tried to console her as they all went upstairs.

 

“It’s quite a show. I apologize for that.” Nomin said without sincerity in his voice, clearing his throat. “Now, you guys met my daughter. She’s quite stubborn, and all but I’m sure you guys can get a hold of her since she’s weak, only feisty.” added the congressman, then sighed, sitting on his chair again, and asked one of his bodyguards to inform the security team outside that they would him in the scheduled event in a bit. “I’m sure the chief already told you guys that her identity should be kept as a deep secret. But of course, few enemies knew the truth. That was why she was sent here to Korea again because they found Minjoo in the convent. Some days, I need her with me when I go around the country because, well, her stepmother is very fond of her.”

 

Nomin stood up, fixing his jacket then walked towards the door, with three guards trailing him behind. “And well, do y’alls jobs real good. I’m counting on you girls.” He then halted, pointing at the woman who was standing beside the staircase. “Our head maid, Eunbi, will tell the other details, and stuff you guys need to know.” And with that, the old man fled away.

 

The bodyguards glanced at each other, a little bit confused, and intrigued but well, this was their job, and they needed to be a little bit… brave, and patient.

 

///

 

The first week of being Kim Minjoo’s bodyguard was very plain, and boring. She and the others would change shifts everyday, and all to alternate guarding Minjoo around the house. Yujin was already getting used to lurking around the mansion. And so far, nothing much happened, only Minjoo’s attempted escapes after her bedtime curfew. Yujin would catch the woman quickly, anyway, and she thought that her ‘boss’ loathed her already because of that very reason.

 

And well, maybe, Yujin enjoyed the sight of the woman pouting whenever Yujin would catch her tiptoeing out of her room as she threw tantrums while the bodyguard escorted her back to her own room. Yujin always got a good laugh after that because she would check Minjoo’s reaction on the surveillance cameras, she would often find the woman glaring at the door with her lips puckered like a child not getting allowed to leave the house to play with her friends.

 

Mostly, she would accompany Minjoo around the spacious, wide garden of the Kim Mansion when it was daytime. Well, it was strictly said that Yujin would always be near Minjoo so her shift was constant and long, and to be honest, Yujin didn’t mind it since she was used to this kind of full-time job already.

 

The unit was currently staying in the mansion too so they could act fast. They already got close to few workers around, especially Minjoo’s maids who were apologetic at all times because of their mistress’ stubbornness but would later on tell them that Minjoo was actually nice, and was just very bitter of her fate.

 

It was true anyway, Yujin noticed that. Minjoo liked to feed the stray cats that would invade their property. She also went on a few grocery trips with the woman to buy cat and dog food then donate the bags she brought to the animal shelter. Yujin was one of the witnesses — even the others, especifically, Nako, who hated Minjoo because of her bratty attitude finally came to understand after guarding, and observing her for more than a week already.

 

Of course, Minjoo would act very harshly. She was sad, lonely, and her freedom and privacy weren’t on her hands. She was hidden too. And Yujin slightly took pity on the older woman.

 

Sometimes, Yujin would gaze at her from a distance whenever she would accompany Minjoo around the gardens, observing her serene expression as she caressed and admired the roses. Sadness was forever written in her dreamy eyes. It was pitiful, to be honest. Even a cold-hearted soldier like Yujin felt a little bit ache in her heart to see Minjoo solemn, and gloomy like that every single day.

 

It was her fate, unfortunately for her.

 

“Later. I have to visit a province for my presidential campaign but I will take Minjoo with me, alongside my wife.” Nomin announced one day, and the whole unit was slightly relieved to know that they would travel because living in the mansion for weeks made them feel too stuffy.

 

With that, Yujin just found herself sitting on the passenger seat of the car. Chaeyeon was driving while Minjoo and her maid, Sakura, were in the backseat, trying to entertain her by teaching her a few Japanese phrases. Yujin knew how to speak, and understand a lot of languages, Japanese was just one of them but she wasn’t fluent like Chaeyeon and Sakura.

 

To ease the heavy atmosphere, the three talked in Japanese while Yujin remained silent, eyes kept darting on the window, and side mirrors to check if there were suspicious activities but they were just being followed by the other car with Yena, and the others occupying it.

 

Yujin noticed that Minjoo went silent, and glanced at the rear view mirror, only to see her taking a nap already, with her head against the window. And oh, she was surprised to see Sakura staring right back but not at her… but at Chaeyeon. The tall bodyguard then averted her gaze, subtly side-eyeing Chaeyeon who also kept glancing at the mirror.

 

A smile crept up on her lips, not minding their not-so-subtle glances at each other.

 

///

 

“Jaune, keep an eye to the west. Me, Eleven, and Jaguar will Fox to the waiting room. And Sky, and Scar, you two can scatter near the east.” Yujin ordered, holding the earpiece, and after that, she heard a ‘roger that’ response from all of them in sync. She then opened the car door for Minjoo.

 

The three women circled Minjoo, and Sakura as they walked to the waiting room — with Yujin securing the front while Chaewon, and Chaeyeon at the back, their necks kept twisting in every way to check their surroundings — especially that the hallway that they were currently walking on was empty, and silent. There might be unexpected ambushes, and all.

 

Yujin was extra careful, and more observant after she became a bodyguard.

 

When they reached the waiting room, Minjoo, Sakura, and Yujin were left there while Chaeyeon, and Chaewon were guarding the door.

 

The bodyguard roamed around the room first, checking everything if it was all good, and not bugged or no one was hiding in the closet. And after that, Yujin settled on the side of the couch where Minjoo was sitting, waiting for orders.

 

A few beats of silence, and Minjoo heaved a sigh, rubbing her temples. “Why did my dad even bring me in here? It’s so boring, much more boring than being in the house.” mumbled the woman, shaking her head as she thumbed her long locks. Yujin remained mum, and Sakura was clueless too.

 

Then, a knock was heard, Yujin flinched a bit, alerted but relaxed immediately when Chaeyeon entered the room, followed by a woman holding a tray full of food, placing it on the table in front of Minjoo — immediately leaving with a bow with the guard. Yujin checked the food first thoroughly, even daring to take a taste to see if it was poisoned.

 

“It’s all good, you should eat this,” Yujin said, pushing the tray a bit towards Minjoo’s side. The latter stared at her plainly before shaking her head.

 

“I’m not hungry.” said Minjoo before looking away, crossing her arms.

 

Yujin pursed her lips, turning to Sakura who shook her head at her. The bodyguard bit her inner cheek. “You haven’t eaten breakfast yet.” She pointed out, and that irked Minjoo more, a little bit annoyed, glaring at her.

 

“I said,” Minjoo emphasized through gritted teeth. “I’m not hung—”

 

And there was a loud grumble from Minjoo’s stomach, making the latter instantly freeze while Yujin just looked at her, amused. Yujin saw the embarrassed blush creeping up on Minjoo’s pale cheeks, and the bodyguard didn’t risk to , only nodding her head to the direction of the food.

 

With a scoff, Minjoo took a piece of bagel, and ate it, muttering something under her breath that Yujin couldn’t hear. The bodyguard saw that Sakura was holding back a chuckle, smiling gratefully at Yujin, and the taller woman just nodded at her with a small smile on her face.

 

Minjoo was really a stubborn woman, she always liked to act like a six-year-old child when in fact, she was older than Yujin. Yes, she was older, unbelievable. The woman was twenty-seven years old while Yujin was twenty-five. Yujin was shocked to learn that when she skimmed through Minjoo’s profile. Little was known about her because she was kept secluded in Spain for a decade, and half. Her personal details were only there but facts, and education background and all? Nothing. Minjoo was probably homeschooled.

 

A few hours later of boring waiting, they heard loud muffled cheers from outside. Must be the supporters of the presidential candidate, the campaign for that day must’ve already ended. Soon, the congressman, and his wife, Yeonbu entered the waiting room to greet the unenthusiastic Minjoo.

 

Yeonbu really liked Minjoo, they just got a twelve year gap after all. And the woman wanted to get along with her stepdaughter but Minjoo wasn’t feeling the same, for some reasons, she didn’t like her stepmother at all. Well, Yeonbu was a little shady indeed, and she was too sassy, and arrogant. Typical rich lady. Her grandfather was the founder of ONE, and now, she co-owned it with her husband.

 

They decided to go home after that since the congressman, and his wife had a meeting with a few friends. Soon, the unit stuck together again, coming from their own spots to form a circle around Minjoo.

 

Yujin was taken aback to see a group of people gathering at the back exit, and it felt like they were the people from the media, trying to get a scoop since they got cameras. It seemed like they got to break in, and no one in the congressman’s security team even informed them!

 

Out of instinct, Yujin took off her blazer, and draped it on Minjoo’s head, covering her face, and the latter was also shocked at the sudden situation. The bodyguard signalled the others to push the small crowd away at all costs. She tightly held Minjoo to support, and shield her from the harsh reporters.

 

“Is that Miss Yeonbu!?”

 

“Secret mistress of Congressman Nomin!?”

 

“Please, tell us who you are!”

 

Yujin huffed, and continued to walk, holding Minjoo’s head to avoid the jacket around her head from falling. This was bad. If they ever got a good photo of Minjoo, the secret would be no more! Especially that the media was advanced, and scary nowadays. They could get Minjoo’s data in one clear photo of her alone.

 

The bodyguard could feel Minjoo’s shoulders shaking, and the woman was practically clutching at Yujin like her life depended on it. She must be shocked getting trapped like this by the determined, and nosy reporters.

 

The team managed to push them back, getting Minjoo to safety in the car with Sakura who was also flustered because they got mobbed so suddenly like that. Yujin and Chaeyeon managed to get into the car, and the younger one immediately checked on Minjoo who still had her face covered, pushing herself to Sakura while trembling — her maid wrapped her arm around her shoulders, comforting her while glaring at the people who were surrounding the car, and trying to take pictures from outside.

 

Fortunately enough, the car was heavily tinted so they wouldn’t get a good photo of the inside. And Chaeyeon immediately sped off the car away, thankfully, not hitting someone.

 

With a sigh, Yujin turned to Minjoo again when they entered the road, followed by the other car where the others were at. “You can take off the blazer now, they’re all gone.” softly whispered by Yujin, and Sakura helped Minjoo take off the jacket away from her upper body then gave it back to the owner. She ignored Chaeyeon who was shouting on her earpiece, nagging the other security team for being too careless because the nosy media people got in, and because of their incompetence, Minjoo almost got mobbed.

 

The outside of the building where Minjoo was staying was out of Team 25’s reach. The security team of the congressman was assigned to lurk around, not them so they didn’t know there were reporters that broke into the property.

 

Yujin was slightly worried for Minjoo because she was really shaken up upon experiencing such a traumatic situation. She wasn’t used to those kinds of things either. Minjoo looked like she was about to cry. Her lips were quivering, her eyes were shaking, and she was trembling extremely. Sakura tried her best to comfort Minjoo, and all Yujin could do was glance at her worriedly from the mirror. They should be more careful.

 

///

 

After that incident, Yujin eyed Minjoo more closely. The woman was still having a shock from the mobbing three days ago. It probably traumatized her badly. Even the whole team, and the maids were so worried for Minjoo. Always exchanging their concerns, and all even though they were not that close to Minjoo.

 

“She’s eating well now. She’s planning to go to the gardens later, watch her closely, Yujin.” Wonyoung, one of the maids, immediately informed Yujin of the good news because after what happened a few days ago, Minjoo shut herself out, and the team could only watch her through the surveillance cameras that were installed in her room because she wouldn’t get out at all.

 

Minjoo went out of her room around the afternoon, and Yujin immediately followed her, informing Nako that they would go out of the house. And well, Minjoo was extra gloomy that day. She didn’t even look at the flowers at all, just staring at the distance, mind full of thoughts.

 

Yujin sent her back to her own room when the sun finally settled down.

 

The night went deeper until it was nearing midnight. Yujin walked towards the control room to monitor the places around the mansion with a bag of cookies in hand. Her midnight snack. It always helped her to feel less bored, and less sleepy whenever she was tasked to monitor, and watch the empty hallways, and all.

 

Actually, the congressman’s security team used to be assigned as the ones who monitor the CCTVs but when Team 25 got assigned to Minjoo — Chief Song decided to reassign, deciding that Team 25 would also cover the monitoring duties from the control room while the other guards would do their rounds outside the house.

 

Yujin settled on the swivel chair, placed the bag of cookies on top of the desk, and eyed the monitors in front of her that made her dizzy already. Firstly, she checked the east wing, and west wing but when she noticed that nothing unusual was happening, she checked the cameras placed near Minjoo’s room, and saw Hyewon standing beside the door, stoic, and almost dozing off.

 

She then checked those two CCTV cameras in Minjoo’s room. It only captured her living room, and the mini kitchen. There was no camera in her bedroom, and bathroom because, of course. If there were, Yujin would take them away herself even though it would get her a punishment. Minjoo deserved that privacy at least, and respect.

 

An hour later, Yujin spotted a figure appearing in Minjoo’s room, and that made the bodyguard scoot closer to the monitor. It didn’t take long for Yujin to recognize that it was just Minjoo coming out of her bedroom, and not an intruder. Relief washed over her.

 

Fully, her attention went to Minjoo, watching her moves closely. The said woman was just wearing her bathrobe, and her long raven locks were a little bit drenched. It only meant one thing, she just showered. Yujin’s eyes followed Minjoo’s figure walking to her kitchen, and then the bodyguard shifted her gaze to the other screen where it would offer her a better angle of Minjoo in the kitchen.

 

Minjoo opened her fridge, and took out a sandwich wrapped in foil with a small smile on her face then went to the microwave, opened it before placing the sandwich inside, and closed it shut. Yujin blinked, scooting even closer until the desk was digging below her chest. She noticed that the woman was hesitating, her hand was already hovering above the button of the microwave, and seemingly inspecting the appliance.

 

But soon enough, Yujin saw Minjoo pressing a button, and the microwave came to life. The bodyguard was slightly surprised to see her mistress clapping happily as she watched the microwave heat up her food. It was only when she realized that Minjoo never really used a microwave before. She knew the purpose of the appliance but never knew how to properly use it.

 

That made Yujin think what was Minjoo’s life in Spain before. She didn’t even know how to use other appliances, and tools. She vaguely remembered Minjoo not knowing how to use a blender before too, and Hitomi had to teach her how to use it.

 

Chaeyeon once told her that Nomin kept Minjoo away from a very stressful life because her father was a politician. Minjoo was almost killed when she was younger, and that was one of the reasons why the woman was sent to another country. Nomin was stupid for keeping Minjoo locked from the outside world though.

 

Yujin watched Minjoo intently, not even caring about continuing to eat the cookies anymore, and took a deep breath. She watched Minjoo in amusement, especially when the sandwich was done. Minjoo took the sandwich out of the microwave and almost dropped it on the floor because she was taken aback at the hotness.

 

It worried Yujin a bit, ready to call Hyewon, and assist Minjoo but the latter just calmly went to the sink, and opened the faucet, letting the water fall on her hand — cooling it off. And after that, Minjoo closed the faucet, wiping her wet hand to her robe before taking the sandwich, opening the wrapper, and clapped again like an excited child when the sandwich came into view, bending a bit before sniffing on it.

 

The corner of Yujin’s lips twitched, heaving a sigh as she rested her chin on her palm, still watching Minjoo with full interest. She watched Minjoo eat her sandwich delightfully, even making funny satisfied faces, and Yujin was just sure that the woman kept humming, and in delight.

 

Soon, Minjoo finished eating, and dumped the foil into the trash can before walking to the cupboard, opening it, and finding something. Yujin concluded that she wasn’t satisfied with the sandwich she ate, and was looking for something to cook. And bingo! She was right because when Minjoo retreated her hand out of the cupboard, she was holding a pack of ramyeon.

 

And the sight of the pack made Yujin’s stomach grumble, she was just eating cookies, and she suddenly craved for ramyeon too. But all she could do was to watch Minjoo clutch the ramyeon as she walked to the stove, taking a saucepan. Yujin couldn’t suppress a smile when Minjoo opened the pack, almost dropping the noodles because she accidentally opened it harshly.

 

Minjoo then started to fiddle with the stove, there was a frown on her face, and Yujin grinned because she thought that Minjoo probably didn’t know how to properly use a stove too. And she was right. Minjoo kept twisting the knob but to no avail, there was no flame appearing from the burner. Oh, the gas was definitely off but Minjoo was clueless.

 

Soon enough, Minjoo surrendered with a sigh, glaring at the stove before taking the opened ramyeon with her then entered her room just like that, leaving Yujin dumbfounded, and unsatisfied that Minjoo didn’t manage to cook the ramyeon, and that there was nothing interesting to watch anymore.

 

With a sigh, Yujin pushed herself up from the seat, and glanced at her wristwatch, it said 12:29am. It was her time to rest, she would change shifts with Nako. And when the smaller woman finally arrived at the security room, Yujin went out of the mansion, walking to the veranda. She usually smokes before she goes to her room every night.

 

Taking out the pack of cigarettes from her pocket, she took a stick then placed it between her lips, letting it hang there as she reached for her lighter but before she could even light the tip — she spotted something moving from the corner of her eye, and when she looked up to check it, she spotted a figure on the balcony of Minjoo’s room. She was slightly alarmed but when she squinted, she spotted Minjoo’s familiar figure leaning against the railings, chin tilted up towards the night starry skies.

 

Yujin took a step back, and hid herself behind the huge plants so Minjoo wouldn’t be able to see her from below but the bodyguard could. She gawked at the woman, the stick of cigarette loosely hanging on as she forgot to light it — her attention was fully grabbed by Minjoo again.

 

Well, there was just something with the woman that made Yujin turn her gaze on her. Maybe it was her beauty? The gloomy aura that she had? Or Minjoo was just great at grabbing attention by simply doing nothing? But nevertheless, she was captivating. She saw that the woman was holding something in her hand, and kept eating it. It didn’t take long for Yujin to recognize that it was the uncooked noodles. This woman was peculiar indeed.

 

But then, a shadow from the side of the balcony appeared, and Yujin’s eyes widened, the shadow was moving towards Minjoo, and the bodyguard frantically took out her phone, ready to call Hyewon but then — a cat suddenly jumped over the railing, walking to Minjoo.

 

The lady was not even surprised to see the feline, even reaching to pet its head, taking a few bits of the noodles then fed the cat.

 

Blinking, Yujin was surprised, slowly pocketing her phone back to her pants with a sigh, also taking the stick of cigarette out of — dumping it on the nearby trash can. She then glanced back at Minjoo’s balcony again, and saw that the woman was watching the cat eat the food she gave while smiling, and after that, the cat went away, jumping to the roof below them, and soon, Minjoo went back to her room so it was the cue for Yujin to go back to her own room too, and rest.

 

That night, Yujin dreamt of watching someone cook a ramyeon. It was a lady, wearing a familiar charming, genuine smile as she stirred the saucepan with ramyeon in it. And then, she reached for the cat resting on the counter top, chuckling. For the first time, she didn’t dream of the usual blood, screams, and dead eyes of a certain woman. She managed to get proper rest that night.

 

///

 

Another smooth month passed by. So far, there weren’t too many threats, and all. But since the election day kept getting nearer, they were extra careful. The congressman kept bringing Minjoo with them around the country but so far, there weren’t any issues, only minor ones. They almost got mobbed again but they were prepared for it so they got it under control.

 

Also, they at least caught two spies lurking around the mansion but they never got to reveal who they were working for because they didn’t know either, saying they only had a boss that gave them orders, and those orders were from someone they never knew at all. Yujin suspected that it was from Anseong. She knew how that man worked. He was a cowardly .

 

She wanted to kill him, really badly. She wouldn’t even hesitate.

 

Currently, they were on their way to this orphanage located in a very secluded part of the country. Of course, the congressman needed to do charity work to boost his image to the public, and well, this time — Minjoo wasn’t too opposed to come, she was excited to meet some of the kids, even.

 

Since the children that would meet the congressman himself were only selected, the other ones were visited by Minjoo — the latter even brought gifts for the kids, and personally asked the maids to pick those presents for the sake of her because she wasn’t good at choosing things to give. She also asked them to buy tons of candies, and chocolates, and the money she used was the allowance her father gave to her. Instead of using it for herself, she used it to buy things for others.

 

The smile on Minjoo’s face didn’t even fade throughout the day of spending, and meeting with the orphans. She was really fond of them, and the kids were unsurprisingly fond of Minjoo too. They were really amazed at Minjoo’s beauty and kindness, begging the woman to visit them often, and well — of course, the woman promised that she would visit again soon.

 

Minjoo read the kids some books, and the kids almost fell asleep at how soothing her voice was. Even Yujin, who was guarding, and standing at Minjoo’s side that time, almost dozed off because of her lovely melodic voice. She wasn’t the one who was affected, even the maids, and other guards were silent, and focused on listening to Minjoo’s storytelling. The beautiful woman was even good at facial expression, matching the dialogues that entertained the kids even more.

 

Kim Minjoo was a lovely woman with a golden heart.

 

When Yujin told Minjoo that the congressman was already done, and it meant that they needed to leave the place now — Minjoo’s face went crestfallen, bidding goodbye to the kids with a heavy heart, and assured them that she would be back. They waited for the congressman’s team to go first before they could also follow.

 

They had a short stop-over at the popular inn for their early dinner but something unexpected happened. Yujin received a message from one of the guards in the congressman’s security team who was guarding outside.

 

“Team 25! Team KNM! Be alerted, there are two suspicious looking vans that arrived in the parking lot of the inn and no one is even going out of the vans. I think— Oh no, code red! Teams, protect Eagle, and Fox!”

 

It was chaos. The guards stumbled on escorting the president to safety while they were shouts from the ground floor which revealed that the enemies already got in. Hopefully, they wouldn’t harm the innocents. There were a lot of customers downstairs too.

 

Team 25 circled Minjoo, following the rest of the guards on the back exit so they could get out of the place. They had already contacted the police nearby, and other ONE agents. Even though Yujin badly wanted to help inside the restaurant, she couldn’t — her main goal was Minjoo first to safety before she could act.

 

However, much to her shock when they were suddenly cornered by a group of people, the congressman managed to exit safely with his team but for sure, there was another group outside. Yujin’s earpiece was in shambles, full of orders, and shouts but she didn’t pay attention to it as she focused pointing her airsoft gun towards the men who were blocking their way.

 

She didn’t even hesitate to initiate the first move, pulling the trigger, and Minjoo let out a scream from behind her. After that, Yujin met with the other group halfway with Chaewon, and Chaeyeon.

 

Since there were many, they managed to take down the incapable men immediately. Just a few kicks, a few punches, there and there. They didn’t even need to use guns anymore to defeat them because they had a great teamwork. But sure, some of them managed to scratch Yujin, but all in all, it wasn’t serious.

 

The police and ONE higher ups fixed the mess while they went home, unharmed, fortunately. Yujin was still trying to calm down from the adrenaline rush. She kept checking on Minjoo who was still obviously shaken up.

 

When they got home from the small chaos, Minjoo called the whole team. She was shy at first, embarrassed even but she composed herself when she realized that they were waiting.

 

“Thank you all for saving my life and always protecting me.” said Minjoo, it was a shy murmur but they all heard her clearly. “I know, I know it’s all your job, but still.” Minjoo added before one of them could even give the remark, and that made them giggle a bit. Clearing , Minjoo continued. “Because of it, I want to treat you guys out…”

 

They were surprised, especially Yujin. Minjoo wasn’t close to them at all, they’ve always thought that the woman always liked to ignore them, and pretended to not exist. But they knew that Minjoo wasn’t entirely a bad person, she already managed to get a small part in their heart because it was their job to protect, and keep an eye on her.

 

Probably, this was the development. This was the start that Minjoo would warm up to them.

 

///

 

“Cheer up, baby! Cheer up, baby~!”

 

It was a loud night. It was a night full of laughter, and pure happiness only. They all settled on the rooftop instead, and prepared a few drinks, and food, especially barbeques since the congressman didn’t allow them to go out after the incident but it was all good anyway. They were all free that night.

 

Nomin instantly agreed to Minjoo’s request if they could hold a small celebration, and as a ‘thank you’ gift for the guards saving her life.

 

And now, they were there, having a good time.

 

Minjoo also invited her ‘friends’, her maids and the guards didn’t have any slightest problem with that since they were also close with the workers that surrounded Minjoo. After all, they were living under the same roof so the friendship between the maids and guards of Minjoo blossomed naturally. There were even more actually…

 

Chaeyeon, and Sakura were definitely seeing each other. That was for sure. Yujin spotted them once making out in the kitchen. Yujin was traumatized but since Chaeyeon was a good friend, she didn’t pester her about it, and let the older guard open up rather than force her for juicy information.

 

Meanwhile, Hyewon and Eunbi were also… There was a visible tension between them and Yujin saw them talking with each other for a few times alone, and they always gave each other heart eyes whenever they interacted.

 

Yujin almost forgot that Chaewon had a crush on the other maid, Hitomi, but was too cowardly to confess. The short haired woman opened up a bit to her about her feelings when they were in the same guarding shift in front of Minjoo’s room.

 

Funnily enough, Yujin was certain that Yena was pining for Yuri. And she was betting her life that the blonde would drunkenly confess to Minjoo’s maid sooner or later.

 

But all in all, they were great friends. Not close enough for Yujin to comfortably speak about her past and true identity but for sure, Hyewon already got a clue of her since the woman was good with computers, and great at gathering data. She was a hacker too, anyway. But she never said anything nor changed her ways of treating Yujin as her younger sibling.

 

And well, let’s go back to the party.

 

Unsurprisingly, most of them were already drunk. The congressman agreed for the guards to loosen up a bit, and drink alcohol for that day only. Yujin refused though, she didn’t want to risk it, and she wasn’t much of a drinker anyway. She just drank juice, and laughed at Yena’s drunk antics with Chaewon and Yuri.

 

They just kept singing very loudly, and dancing as they drank, and ate their food while the others would sometimes sing along especially when the trio were singing a decent song. Yujin judged, the three of them could be in a kpop group since they were all great singers, the others were fairly great too. Yujin liked to hear them sing, especially if they weren’t slurring.

 

Yujin bobbed her head as the others sang the famous song of a legendary girl group, taking another sip from her juice when someone suddenly sat beside her. Yujin almost choked on her drink when she saw that it was Minjoo. The latter excused herself to the bathroom earlier, and she insisted that she should be fine going alone so Yujin did let her. There were other guards downstairs anyway.

 

It seemed like Chaewon occupied Minjoo’s previous seat, taking advantage of it because Hitomi was sitting beside Minjoo. Sneaky little jaguar.

 

“Why aren’t you drinking?”

 

The bodyguard’s eyes widened a bit, turning to Minjoo who suddenly asked her. Now, now... They were in speaking terms already? Minjoo never really did initiate a conversation even way before, even if Yujin accompanied her to the gardens daily. She was just surprised, it didn’t mean it was bad — it was rather a good thing. She actually wanted to be at least acquaintances with her client since it was rather a little bit awkward, Yujin was feeling awkward around Minjoo.

 

“Ah, no. I can’t. Just in case. And I’m not much of a drinker anyway,” Yujin answered, placing the glass to the table, and grabbed another stick of barbeque, offering Minjoo one but the latter refused, gesturing that she was already full.

 

“I never really organized or formed a party before. This is a first,” murmured Minjoo, clasping her hands together on top of her lap. Yujin wasn’t too surprised at the revelation but she never let out a snicker, just nodding along then looked around — everyone was having a blast, and they were loosened up. Yujin didn’t like parties but she was relaxed. “This is the only way I could think of to make it up to you guys. For saving me, and all. Being patient with me, too.”

 

Yujin found herself smiling at that, staring at the older woman. “This is more than enough, thank you, Miss Kim.” She said sincerely, she was really stunned at Minjoo’s effort. Despite having a lack of knowledge about the outside modern world, Minjoo still tried to fit in.

 

“Please call me Minjoo.” Minjoo corrected Yujin’s formality and that made the bodyguard purse her lips together, nodding obediently.

 

“Okay, Minjoo,” Yujin somehow liked the way Minjoo’s name rolled off her tongue. It was just so smooth, and exquisite. Very beautiful like the owner.

 

There was a comfortable silence between them, and they continued watching the others have fun. It wasn’t even a minute when Minjoo spoke again.

 

“Can I go to the park?” asked Minjoo calmly.

 

Yujin hummed, shaking her head. “Not until this week, ma’am. Your father gave us a strict order not to let you get out of the property’s premises.” She answered truthfully, almost guiltily. She almost felt bad when Minjoo’s face fell, pouting a bit. “But next week. I will — we will accompany you to the park then.” She immediately added, and was relieved to see Minjoo’s face brightened up a bit after that.

 

A smile was thrown at Yujin. “Okay. Next week, Yujin.”

 

///

 

There was a drastic turn between Minjoo, and Yujin’s relationship after that night. Not only to the youngest bodyguard but to all of them. Minjoo was a lot friendlier, and she wasn’t too cold, nor freaked out at the idea of having guards tailing her around anymore. It seemed like the woman had already accepted her fate, and thought that it would be for the better that she had these skilled people around her at all times, ready to risk everything in exchange for her safety.

 

And well, to be honest, Yujin wasn’t entirely hating the job anymore. There was even a point she would forget her real purpose why she let herself get forced to enter ONE, and get assigned to guard Congressman Kim’s secret daughter. She was getting used to it already after doing the job for months now, and it felt like her purpose was really to protect Kim Minjoo, and nothing else anymore.

 

Their daily trip to the garden wasn’t too awkward anymore because the both of them would engage into a conversation about random things. Minjoo would sometimes ask Yujin’s experiences in the military and all, and would share what was her life in Spain. She even taught Yujin a few Spanish words even though Yujin also knew how to speak Spanish — she was tasked to do an important mission in Madrid so she learned how to speak the language. But Minjoo didn’t need to know that.

 

Minjoo also allowed them to enter her room. The original plan was actually one guard would guard outside while the other one would stay in the living room but since the woman was too opposed to it, they just decided to guard the door, not wanting to make her feel too uncomfortable.

 

And well, Yujin learned that Minjoo could be very mischievous, and playful. There was a time that they went to the garden, and Yujin received a call from Chief Song so she excused herself that she would accept the call for a while, and distanced herself away from Minjoo but when she came back to the spot, the older woman wasn’t there anymore. Yujin almost had a cardiac arrest because she couldn’t spot Minjoo around. She frantically searched around the garden while explaining to Nako that they needed to go there immediately, and help her find Minjoo.

 

Yujin found her on the pavilion after a few runs, sitting peacefully while caressing the same stray cat that kept visiting her on the balcony for food. The bodyguard really got flustered at that, sweating, and panting so hard. She informed the team that she already found the target, and that they didn’t need to search for her.

 

“Don’t do that again,” The taller woman murmured, taking a seat across from the woman who kept giggling at her, batting her eyelashes at her innocently, letting the cat jump on her lap, and rest there.

 

“Do what~? I didn’t do anything bad at all, Yujin.” snickered Minjoo with a smile. Yujin gave her a glare, and the older woman pouted at that, nodding, and promised she wouldn’t do that ever again in a very low, guilty voice.

 

In revenge, Yujin answered that Minjoo’s alias was ‘Frog’, and not ‘Fox’ at all when the shorter woman asked about the codenames since she heard her father’s guards calling him ‘Eagle’ a lot of times. Minjoo whined so hard at that, asking her why they called her frog instead of something better, and meaningful. Yujin shrugged at that, responding that Minjoo looked like a frog, earning a playful smack from the older woman.

 

Days had passed fast as usual, and Yujin just blinked, and it was already the weekend. She promised Minjoo that they would take her to the park that day. She already informed the congressman about it, and the whole team. They were prepared for the outdoor plan, and they wanted Minjoo to be as comfortable as possible so Yujin would only walk with her, and the others would be visible, and scattered around to spot potential threats.

 

Yujin slowly walked with Minjoo, matching the latter’s slow pace. The bodyguard silently looked at the other woman who was savouring the sunlight that wasn’t too hot for the skin, the sight of blue bright skies, and nature. She was taking her sweet time to admire her surroundings. It was rare for her to go out of the house anyway. If she was out, she was just in an enclosed waiting space or luxurious room so Yujin let the woman take her time to drink in the sight of nature, and fresh view.

 

Minjoo sat on the bench after half an hour of roaming around the big park while Yujin naturally went to her side, standing, and keeping alert, and her sharp eyes kept moving around to spot something unusual. She was slightly surprised when she felt something tugging at the hem of her shirt — Minjoo was the one who was tugging it, trying to earn her attention then gesturing to her to take a seat beside her. Yujin obliged and sat, a little bit confused.

 

They were engulfed by a comfortable silence, both of them enjoyed the soft breeze hitting them. They were in front of a mini lake, and the blue pristine water was glistening under the sun. Both of them watched the kids play around near the shore, with their parents also keeping an eye to them from a distance. Some couples were also walking hand in hand while giggling at each other.

 

Yujin didn’t even realize that it had been a while since she went to such a place like this. It was comfortable since it wasn’t crowded, and it was a breath of fresh air, really.

 

“Do you want some ice cream?” blurted Yujin randomly. Minjoo turned to her with amused eyes but she wasn’t too opposed to it, even nodding eagerly so Yujin stood up from her seat, and talked to her earpiece. “Scar. I’ll just buy some ice cream nearby, keep an eye on… Frog,” She made sure to look Minjoo at the face when she said that, and she almost laughed when Minjoo gave her a death glare, scurrying off before the older woman could smack her.

 

Yujin bought ice cream for both of them. Vanilla for Minjoo, and chocolate for herself. She went back with two ice cream cones in her hands, handing the other one to Minjoo, and the latter murmured a small ‘thanks’ under her breath that the taller woman almost didn’t hear.

 

There was a respectful gap between them but Yujin could feel Minjoo’s warmth from her seat, and her perfume… the bodyguard could smell it perfectly, and it made her dizzy in a pleasant way. She wanted to know the perfume the older woman was wearing because it really suited her. Light, a little bit sugary, strong but not enough to burn.

 

Soon enough, conversation started between them almost naturally, with Minjoo initiating again. “I never rode a bike before,” said the shorter woman, sliding her fingers along her long raven locks to fix it because the wind was making her hair messier. Yujin’s stare lingered. “It looks fun.” Minjoo added, her eyes following a couple on a bike with envy.

 

Yujin took a bite from her cone, not minding the tingly feeling on her teeth. “Do you want to ride?” asked the bodyguard, looking at Minjoo curiously, and she saw the latter’s doe eyes lit up for a second before the glint disappeared again when she realized something. “We can, you know. If you want, that is.”

 

“But I don’t know how to ride one.” Minjoo honestly revealed, blushing. So that was her concern. Well, that wasn’t a problem anyway. Yujin knew how to ride a bike so she could teach her or let her ride on the back at least.

 

“Hmm. I can teach you.” Yujin offered before she could even thoroughly think of it. She knew she couldn’t take the offer back anymore when Minjoo’s eyes lit up again, sparkly, and excited — even finishing her ice cream immediately then stood up.

 

“Let’s go!”

 

Yujin just hired one bike for them since it would be unnecessary to hire two because she would just teach Minjoo. At first, Minjoo was really excited but when she settled on the bike, she was frozen, and stiff — obviously nervous while Yujin tried to reassure her that she would be beside her at all times.

 

Thankfully, Minjoo didn’t wear a skirt or a dress that time. She was wearing short jeans, a comfortable oversized shirt, and a pair of sneakers so she was comfortable on the bike.

 

Yujin tried her best to be the best teacher for Minjoo. The latter was a fast learner but she was clumsy, and nervous. She kept wiggling, and going zigzag so Yujin had to clutch on Minjoo’s shirt or on the back of the bike to support the woman, and prevent her from falling or crashing on someone or a trash can. The bodyguard was patient, and she ignored the teasings she kept hearing from her earpiece. Her teammates were surely enjoying watching them.

 

After a bit, Minjoo finally got a hold of it and attempted to ride without Yujin’s support so Yujin just jogged beside the older woman as she rode the bike happily by herself. The bodyguard almost ran over a tree because she was distracted by Minjoo’s bright, happy smile — her eyes turning into cute little crescents. Although she wasn’t still that great at maneuvering, she was having fun and learning.

 

Yujin stopped running after Minjoo, and let her roam in a circle around the area by herself, successfully riding a bike by herself without falling or crushing someone or onto something. “Ace~ I can ride a bike now~” Minjoo kept exclaiming happily with a grin. The bodyguard could only smile back, watching Minjoo intently from the side.

 

Yujin caught something though. She spotted a group of guys looking at Minjoo in awe, drooling, and they were blushing. They looked like a bunch of highschool students, and the guard didn’t like how they were looking at their mistress so she gave them a glare that made the boys yelp in sudden fear when they noticed someone was staring at them from afar.

 

Minjoo just stopped riding the bike when she crashed into a trash bin. Yujin decided to just ride the bike and let Minjoo sit on the back, and the latter liked the idea, a little bit tired of pedaling already.

 

In silence, they rode. With Yujin pedaling, and Minjoo sitting comfortably at the back, clutching the hem of the bodyguard’s shirt. It felt sweet, and a lot of people were staring at them in envy or amusement — they probably thought they were a couple since mostly couples only ride like this. The thought made Yujin blush, and sweat, feeling Minjoo’s shoulders digging on her back.

 

“Have you ever fallen in love already?”

 

The sudden question almost made Yujin choke. She was surprised but then, she wouldn’t blame Minjoo for inserting a topic that was related to relationship because couples were all over the park but she didn’t know how to answer it properly. Should she tell the truth? Nothing to lie anyway. She made sure that her earpiece was mute so the others wouldn’t be able to eavesdrop, and answered Minjoo with a lump stuck on . “Yes. Once.”

 

“May I know who it is?” Minjoo replied soon after, genuinely just curious.

 

Yujin bit her lower lip, glancing at Minjoo through her shoulders. “She was a military nurse, and a daughter of a former higher up in the government. I guess she was lovely, we were in a relationship for four months, and she was the only woman I loved so far… she died last year.” She answered, her hand gripping on the handle tightly, trying not to think of dead eyes, and blood. Those nightmares rarely haunted her, and she would like to keep it that way.

 

“I see.” was Minjoo’s response, it was quiet, and understanding. Not pushing any answer anymore, Yujin was grateful because Hussey’s death was still a sensitive topic to her.

 

A beat of silence.

 

“Why did you enter the military? And joined ONE?” There was Minjoo’s curiosity piping in again. The older woman knew little about Yujin, she knew the fact that Yujin was a soldier because she mentioned it before when they were talking.

 

Yujin took a deep breath and answered, “My father. He was a general so I would love to follow his footsteps but… well, being in the military was difficult and different than what I had expected so I fell into a different path and well it didn’t last long either, and quitted,” It was the truth. She wanted to be a successful soldier like her father before in the future but there were circumstances that she couldn’t avoid that was why she quitted, and entered her past PMC instead. One of her many regrets in life. She should’ve stayed in that field. “I joined ONE for a purpose.” added her but didn’t elaborate on it further.

 

Minjoo was silent for a few seconds. “You… got hired, right? They offered this spot to you. Last time I remember, you were still just a mechanic.” Yujin knew that Minjoo was smart and not easy to fool despite being too innocent in this kind of thing. “Did they force you?”

 

“Not really,” Well, they basically threatened her at first but later on bribed. But then, it was a fair deal. Yujin still accepted it knowing what she would get from protecting Minjoo. “Besides, I slowly came to like this job. Protecting people, it’s not so bad at all. It’s not that hectic but it gives me a little bit of thrill.” Yujin continued, her voice was dripping with honesty, not just sugarcoating it for Minjoo to feel better.

 

Suddenly, there was a weight on her back, and Yujin’s heart skipped a beat when she realized that Minjoo was leaning her head against her back. The bodyguard pursed her lips, inhaling deeply. She didn’t like the familiar feeling appearing in her chest, the familiar blooming feeling that she once experienced having when she was with her ex-lover. But now, it was rather more intense. It was blossoming like the beautiful flowers as the spring season approached. Yujin ignored it despite the hammering beats of her heart inside her chest.

 

“Thank you for always protecting me, Yujin.”

 

///

 

Something shifted between Yujin and Minjoo after that day in the park. Yujin didn’t dwell much on it, she would rather keep everything professional. She wouldn’t even dare to think about crossing the line. Minjoo was only her client, and Yujin was her bodyguard. And that was only their connection, nothing else.

 

Yujin only had one purpose why she accepted this job, and that was to give Hussey justice. Nothing else. She had no time to be best friends with her client, and all. Her job was to protect her and that was all, nothing more, nothing less.

 

It was blurry, and Yujin didn’t bother to clear it up.

 

“The most-awaited presidential election of 2021 will finally happen next week! Who will be the next president of the almighty South Korea? Kim—” Yujin changed the channel of the radio, and blasted trendy k-pop music instead. Yena gave her a side-eye, still driving.

 

They were on their way home after visiting a church located near the mountains. They stayed for a day or so, but the congressman and his wife would stay there until tomorrow so Team 25, and Minjoo with Yuri, were about to go home. It was already dark, and cloudy. It was fortunate that it wasn’t pouring that hard despite the forecast telling that there would be a thunderstorm later in the midnight. They needed to go home quickly or they might have been caught in the middle of the storm.

 

Yujin glanced at the rear view mirror, seeing Minjoo staring outside, while Yuri was knitting something behind them. Lately, the older woman was gloomy again, she was silent, and always in a deep thought — like the early times Yujin got assigned to Minjoo.

 

Deep breath. Yujin looked away, almost painfully, and just looked forward — watching the gentle droplets of the rain pour on the windshield. Her eyes felt heavy, and droopy. She only got three hours of sleep earlier so maybe a short nap wouldn’t hurt. They were two hours away from reaching home too, anyway. The road ahead was almost empty so they could go home faster since there was no traffic in this area.

 

But then, a crash behind them was heard — and ear-shattering shrieks and loud noises from the earpiece, Yujin perked up and twisted her body to see what was happening, only to see that the car Chaeyeon, and the others were in was on the side of the road, a van ran over them — almost climbing up to the hood of the car. Yena was also shocked, stepping on the brake.

 

“What the hell happened!” Yujin shouted, took off the seatbelt, and hopped out of the car in a haste. “Yena, stay here.” instructed her, before running towards the scene. And just one good look alone made Yujin realize that the crash was on purpose.

 

Chaeyeon got out of the car, her head was bleeding, and clutching her side. She was followed by wounded Nako, and Hyewon. “Chaew—” The oldest among the unit members didn’t even get to finish the sentence when the door of the van was opened, revealing heavily armed men.

 

Out of instinct, Yujin took out the gun from her belt. “Jaune, this is an ambush. Get out of this area as fast as you could, and ask for back-up. Get Fox into safety.” whispered the bodyguard in a very slow, quiet voice before pointing the gun towards the people who were already glaring at her. Unlike those men before, these guys… they looked well-trained.

 

But once the car where Minjoo was in started to drive away, a car suddenly zoomed by, crashing onto their car, preventing them from escaping. Yujin’s eyes widened, but she couldn’t run to check if Minjoo was okay because the men surged forward.

 

Cursing under her breath, Yujin didn’t hesitate to fire rapidly, hitting them all perfectly until there were no pellets anymore so she resorted to fighting with her bare hands. She ran forward, meeting with a guy who tried to grab her — she took his arm twisting it as she shifted position then kicked his legs. Yujin didn’t even have any time to waste, they needed to get Minjoo into safety, fast!

 

She reached for the nearest guy — grabbing his head, and with every strength she could muster that moment, she used it to pull him down so his face met her knee. That instantly knocked him down, and before she could make damage again, someone managed to grab her behind, trapping her with his arm.

 

Gritting her teeth, she then pushed backwards with a force, and that made the guy behind her stagger onto his feet, and fell into his back — Yujin took that as an advantage, using the heels of her feet to slam down to his crotch. In an instant, the grip loosened with a groan, Yujin swiftly rolled away from him, and stood up, kicking him in the face three times for good measure then looked at the scene before her.

 

Even if they were not in the best condition after the car crash, Team 25 tried their best to fight. Chaeyeon was also knocking down the men, alongside Hyewon while Nako was shooting from the side for support with Chaewon who was sitting on the ground, bleeding heavily. She probably took the hit the most. But even though in such a state, Chaewon still fought back, reaching for her airsoft gun, and kept shooting.

 

And Yena, , Yena! She was with Yuri, and Minjoo. Yujin turned around, and spotted that Yena was being beaten by three guys but she resisted, fighting back. And there were people who were already opening the passenger door, dragging a screaming Yuri out of the car, and threw her on the ground harshly then reached for Minjoo.

 

. They already got a hold of Minjoo but when she was about to run towards there, and get Minjoo — a hand on her collar pulled her back, throwing her harshly backwards that made her almost stumble on her feet, just catching herself on time. Her sight was then covered by a big man, towering over her, a scar covering his face, and wearing a snarky grin.

 

He was familiar because Yujin knew him well. He was Yujin’s friend and workmate before when she was still a soldier working for Panorama PMC. And he was one of the people behind Hussey’s death, and she was sure he was the one who killed her. Han Junsang. Jung Anseong’s right hand.

 

“We met again, old friend.” Junsang said, smirk playing on his lips, and Yujin didn’t have any time to play with him, and provoke him. Her blood was boiling.

 

“ing scarface!” shouted Yujin before throwing a punch across his face but to no avail, Junsang just swiftly took her hand before it could hit his face, his face was grim.

 

He then slapped Yujin across the face, and Yujin’s face twisted at the impact, her cheek suddenly went numb. “What did you just call me? You are so going to follow Shin Hussey this very moment, Ahn Yujin! Better watch your mouth!” He was about to punch her but she immediately stepped forward to avoid the attack, and jabbed him on his chin then next to the throat. She then retreated her hand, posing for a roundhouse kick but he managed to recover, leaning his body away from the kick — and when Yujin landed on her feet again fully, Junsang attacked forward, throwing punches.

 

Yujin could only run, and dodge, not able to see an opening or an escape. She spotted that Yena was already down on the floor alongside Yuri but the blonde was still trying to stand up, and four people were dragging Minjoo to the car — the woman was screaming and resisting from the hold, not wanting to come with them. Yujin felt her world stop when she saw one of the guys raise his fist, and punched Minjoo across the face, instantly making her fall on her knees, and those heartless people continued to drag her into the car.

 

“No, Minjoo,” Yujin whispered under her breath, ready to run towards her and kill all of those people but she was again stopped by a hand on her hair, tugging her back so that she felt her scalp get stretched.

 

“Where the hell do you think you’re going?” Junsang grumbled, throwing another punch, and that hit Yujin square on her face. Yujin stumbled forward, her vision getting hazy for a bit, and when she wasn’t still on her right mind, the man gave her another blow onto the stomach but Yujin stayed still on her feet, refusing to be down. “You’re seriously tough stuff for a woman.”

 

It was mocking, and that riled Yujin up, feeling anger rising on top of her head, and her sight suddenly went red. She was trembling, and she spat out blood but she didn’t show any weakness, remaining standing on her feet, and glaring at Junsang. Despite the pain on her face, and stomach, Yujin still stood up fiercely, wiping off the blood dripping off from her nose. “Is that all you got, scarface? Your blow was pretty weak.”

 

Junsang’s eyes hardened, taking a step forward, and launched another punch but Yujin dodged, kicking on his stomach but it was no effect, the man just got her leg, and threw her on the ground. Yujin landed on the cold, hard pavement with a thud, she felt something on her back crack because she landed so hard since Junsang slammed her down.

 

The man with scar on his face then hovered on top of Yujin, watching her cough up blood, and thrash under him with wild eyes, he was grinning, and his fist was raised already, ready to give her endless punch but he froze when he felt something burning on his stomach — when he checked it out there was a knife pierced against his stomach already. Yujin finally whipped out her hidden weapon, her pocket knife.

 

With all her might, Yujin twisted it, and Junsang let out a loud yell, trying to stop her from moving the knife against his insides when suddenly, he was thrown to the side. The tall bodyguard sat up, seeing that Hyewon was the one who kicked Junsang away from her.

 

She saw that Yena still tried to fight back again but she didn’t last long because after one last punch on her face, she finally landed on the ground again with a groan. Yujin gritted her teeth when she saw the men made their way to the car they used to crash against their car, pushing Minjoo inside.

 

Nako helped her get up onto her feet again. Yujin winced, ignoring the pain all over her body, and folded the bloodied knife, and placed it back into her pocket. She saw that most of the men were already down.

 

“Run after Minjoo. Go! Use the car! We’ll be behind you,” Hyewon instructed, pushing Yujin to the car. The youngest bodyguard saw Chaewon walking towards them, clutching her arm, and full of blood.

 

“But Chaewon—”

 

“This is my job. Medical attention is for later. The important thing is Minjoo. They got her. Go! We’ll be right after you, we’re just going to fully make sure these men won’t be able to stand up anymore.” Chaewon shouted, and Yujin flinched, nodding, and was about to run when she spotted Junsang leaning against the trunk of the car, reaching for his gun from his belt.

 

Yujin moved, reaching for his hand, and lifted it upwards before he could shoot any of them. The bullet went to the sky, and Yujin growled, slapping the gun away from him, and landed a strong punch on his face then grabbed his collar, pulling him. The bodyguard then turned him, holding his hands onto his back while her other hand gripped on his hair. With a grunt, Yujin slammed him to the car repeatedly, and when she was finally satisfied, she let go of him to reach for the gun that was thrown to the side, and used the of it to smack his temple then gave him one last uppercut to knock him down.

 

The woman ran towards the car as she didn’t spare a glance on Junsang anymore, placing the gun behind her, and just glanced at Yena who was breathing heavily while sitting on the pavement, nodding at her. With that, Yujin zoomed away from the scene with a scowl on her face, her eyes flaming in absolute rage.

 

She trailed after the car where Minjoo’s kidnappers, and Minjoo herself were riding. Even though the car was already damaged, and already lost the door on the shotgun seat, it was still running properly, thankfully. She was driving above the speed limit, overtaking the slow damn vehicles. It was funny that there were no vehicles in sight whenever Yujin got stuck in an ambush, and always in the middle of the night. But that would be for the better since there were no innocents who would get involved in such stuff.

 

Yujin didn’t even realize that she was slightly drenched. She forgot that it was raining lightly. She was so heated up with the fight that she didn’t even notice the pour.

 

Her eyes never lost sight of the black car, and she followed its trails. She didn’t even notice that they entered a restricted area, Yujin just silently followed as much as possible because a surprise attack was always the best option. Soon enough, a sight of an old abandoned warehouse came into view, and Yujin scoffed, parking the car near the entrance, and hopped off, stealthily running to the side, trying her best not to get noticed.

 

“Ace, can you hear me?” It was Nako, and Yujin was relieved to hear something from them. Yujin crouched near the bushes, observing what was happening inside through the window although it only offered her the shadows. She heard a few murmurs.

 

“Sky, absolutely. Are you guys already on the way? They’re in an abandoned warehouse.” Yujin whispered her answer, checking the pistol she got from Junsang, and it was silver, and had an eagle engraved on it. Such a shame she had to use an enemy’s weapon but this was what she got for now.

 

“I already hacked your location. No need to tell us. It’s up to you if you will attack alone or wait for us.” Hyewon’s voice intensified from the earpiece, and Yujin was silent for a few seconds, eyeing the guards roaming around the warehouse. She could hear manly voices from the inside, and there were about four cars parked at the back of the place. There were a lot, and Yujin couldn’t handle them for sure, and she was injured too.

 

But she already made a decision, “There are a lot of them here but I’ll attack alone. I’ll sneak in, and wait until you guys are near. I’ll immediately move if they ever hurt Minjoo though.” Yujin said with a tone of finality, and slowly moved to the back, eyeing the stairs that would lead her to the ceiling. That was enough to give her a full view from below.

 

“Your call. Just be careful. I also kind of tracked, and hacked Jung Anseong’s location, and unsurprisingly, they are on their way here. I told the Chief Song to meet him halfway, and decide what they would do.” Hyewon added, and Yujin paused, on the bottom of the stairs, silent. A chuckle was heard from Hyewon herself. “You have something to explain soon, Ace. Good luck, and stay safe.”

 

Of course, Hyewon knew. But for sure, it wasn’t Hyewon’s own research but rather… Chief Yi probably told her about it. As far as Yujin knew, Hyewon and Yi were related somehow. And that old man definitely gave Hyewon information because the latter didn’t know how to invade someone’s personal information and privacy when it was not for her job.

 

With that, Yujin finally climbed on the stairs, entered the small passageway, and hid behind the steel pillar, checking what was happening below. Her eyes widened when she spotted Minjoo tied up on the chair, stifling a cry while men surrounded her, talking about what they should do to her while their boss was still not there.

 

“Junsang got his busted by that former female soldier! Hah, a great way to get his ego destroyed!”

 

“That team full of female bodyguards was something else. They were all injured but managed to fight back greatly! That blonde one is seriously.... Five of us tried to beat the hell out of her but she still managed to take some of us at the last minute.”

 

“I literally ran over their car but all of them are still alive and kicking! The heavily injured one is heavily bleeding but still can shoot.”

 

“ONE agents are really something else, eh? We should train harder so Master Anseong will be proud and give us a raise.”

 

“Wait, Master Anseong is the one who will personally torture, and kill the girl, right? What a bummer. I want to have a taste. She’s such a doll.”

 

Upon the mention of that god forsaken name and disgusting comment, Yujin’s jaw slackened, the hold on her gun tightened. So, it was finally sure that Anseong was the one behind all of this. Seriously, that man was always the root of Yujin’s sufferings. That devil should be disposed of, and to think he could be the president of the country? Oh, Yujin would rather kill him and then kill herself.

 

His connection with Hussey was complicated. Her ex-girlfriend was Anseong’s step daughter but never really close with him since Hussey wasn’t also close with her mother, who was Anseong’s third wife. But unfortunately, Hussey knew a lot of Anseong’s dirts, and the day she died, she probably learned that Anseong was one of the biggest, and wanted anonymous drug lords around Asia, he also ran an illegal human trafficking business. Hussey also knew that he rigged the election votes when he ran for the senate, and when he also ran for the chief position back when he was in the military field.

 

Anseong didn’t like Yujin at all either since the latter also knew his dirts but unfortunately she didn’t have solid proof at that time. So when he got the chance to bring Yujin down, he did it. Yujin was sure Anseong paid the PMC that she used to work on to drop her, and betray her. No one stood by her side, even the government knew the real deal but she was betrayed by all of them.

 

Jung Anseong deserved to be tortured and die.

 

“Ace, we’re already entering the pathway towards the warehouse. Chief Song has already cornered Jung Anseong. You can now move.” It was Yena this time, and Yujin took a deep breath, checking the loads of bullets. There were eight. And unfortunately, Yujin would have to kill at least three of them. It wasn’t her first time to kill, wasn’t her second either. She fought in a war before so killing wasn’t unusual to her but she didn’t like doing it but for Minjoo’s safety, she would do it in a heartbeat.

 

“Heard you loudly and clearly, Jaune,” Yujin answered, shifting her position, and crouched, pointing the gun towards the man who was holding a rifle. “Minjoo, just hang your head down low, and close your eyes.” whispered the guard like she was near Minjoo, and she was relieved when the latter remained hanging her head low, her eyes shut tight like she heard Yujin.

 

And after one last deep breath, and securing the position, Yujin slowly itched on the trigger, her brow twitched as she made sure that the bullet would hit the guy’s upper body. With that, she pulled the trigger, loud gunshot noise intensified around the warehouse.

 

Yujin saw that it hit the guy’s shoulders, great. She purposely did that anyway, she didn’t really want to kill. Only if necessary. She saw that Minjoo flinched so hard, and let out a shriek but she got no time to worry over it, she would just apologize later since the people inside were already alarmed. She then ran over the box, hiding behind it, and also shot the one who was holding a rifle. She needed to dispose of those ones with such a weapon, and thankfully, there were just about three of them lurking around. Hit on the chest, whoops, Yujin would just pray for his soul later, and shot the other one who got a rifle pointed at her already.

 

The bodyguard dashed to the stairs, avoiding the bullets since the others who got pistols finally spotted her. Yujin hissed, crawling her way towards the stairs, barely avoiding the bullets, and took a peek on the railing, taking another shot, and another hit. After that, she finally slid to the stairs, and rolled over to the tank before a bullet could land on her body. She leaned against the tank, hiding behind it, and trying to sense any presence. She flinched a bit when she was showered with gunshots, they were trying to shoot her through the tank, and Yujin knew the cover wouldn’t last so she immediately went out of her hiding spot, using her remaining bullets to strike the others, and used the gun to throw to the unlucky guy’s head before sliding over the floor, reaching for another loaded gun, then ran to a steel pillar for shield.

 

“We’re here, Ace. Can you still hold them?” asked Nako, and Yujin huffed a breath, turned from the pillar, and shot another man to death before hiding against it once again.

 

“I think I can. Just be quick.” the tall woman responded, and checked the bullets. There were still enough loads, so she went out of her hiding spot and continuously shot the guys before they could even shoot them. As she did that, she walked closer to Minjoo. The last remaining man scurred to Minjoo, wobbly pointing his gun towards the woman while fear was written in his face, he was about to open his mouth, and probably bribe her that he would spare Minjoo’s life if she would spare his but Yujin shot him dead in the head.

 

Minjoo let out a scream as the guy fell on the ground, lifeless, her eyes still shut, not daring to open it. It was for the best.

 

And when she ensured that everyone was dead or down, she threw the gun away, and ran towards the quivering woman, murmuring prayer under her breath, and when Yujin touched her shoulder — Minjoo flinched so hard. Yujin felt bad.

 

“Hey, it’s me, Yujin. Minjoo, look at me.” Yujin whispered softly, kneeling in front of the terrified, poor woman. Her heart was aching badly. Minjoo didn’t deserve this kind of experience.

 

Minjoo stopped trembling, and slowly fluttered her eyes open when she heard a familiar voice, and she choked out a cry when she saw Yujin. “Yujin-ah…” croaked the older woman, and there was a pang in Yujin’s heart as she untied Minjoo from the seat. She bit her lower lip.

 

“We’re going to go home. I’m sorry… I’m sorry you had to experience this horrific situation.” whispered Yujin, and stood up, helping Minjoo to stand up because her legs were wobbly. She heard gunshots from outside, and there were yells, the action wasn’t over from outside. “Let’s go home…” Yujin murmured again, reaching for Minjoo’s pale face, tucking a stray hair behind her ear as she looked at Minjoo lovingly.

 

Goodness, she almost lost someone again. She almost lost someone important to her if she didn’t immediately act. She almost lost Minjoo.

 

Just thinking if Yujin failed to save this woman already made her feel ty. She wouldn’t want that, that was the least thing she wanted to happen. And not because it was her job. It was because… Minjoo was important to her. And Yujin wasn’t ready to lose someone she loves again. Never.

 

What happened today awakened something in Yujin, it made her realize that she didn’t want to lose Minjoo at all, no matter what. And it made her finally recognize her blossoming feelings for the older woman. She accepted them, she accepted that she fell in love with Kim Minjoo.

 

At first, Yujin was in denial because Minjoo was way different than Hussey. Minjoo was a brat, and feisty but once Yujin started to learn the other side the older woman was hiding, Yujin’s heart opened up. She even slowly came to love the negative qualities Minjoo possessed. She came to love every part of Minjoo, be it bad or good. And she didn’t even realize that at first.

 

Minjoo was the highlight of her day, and night. Minjoo was her purpose. Minjoo was the reason why she stayed in this kind of job. Minjoo was her light, the one who fought her nightmares, and made her feel happy again.

 

Yujin then cupped Minjoo’s cheek, taking a step closer, still staring right back at Minjoo who was looking right back at her with her usual warm honey eyes that never failed to make the taller woman feel… nice. Yujin leaned in, pressing a kiss on Minjoo’s forehead then wiped the blood off the older woman’s lips. Minjoo looked at her helplessly, and Yujin could relate. After that, she pulled the older woman for a hug.

 

“I love you,” Yujin gently whispered, hugging Minjoo tightly, and she felt Minjoo’s hold around her waist also tightened, her shoulders went tense a bit upon hearing those three words. “And I’ll protect you even if it costs my life or other’s lives.”

 

They were silent for a short time, just enjoying hugging each other, holding each other like that after a dramatic action. The noises from outside finally subsided, and there were sirens nearing. It had ended, finally. Team 25 successfully saved Minjoo from the kidnappers, Yujin successfully saved Minjoo.

 

Minjoo broke the hug, staring at Yujin, and the latter just smiled. To be honest, she didn’t need a response that soon. Yujin was just caught in the moment so she blurted it out, she just wanted for Minjoo to know what she felt, and how she meant to Yujin that much.

 

“I—”

 

Yujin suddenly saw something moving in the corner of her eyes, and saw a man rushing towards them with a knife. The bodyguard pulled Minjoo behind her out of instinct, and met him halfway, grabbing his arm, avoiding the blade.

 

“You er!” He shouted, and used all of his strength to pull away, and that caused the blade to scrape on Yujin’s arm. Then continuously tried to stab the guard. Yujin was surprised at how fast he was, and when she tried to fight back, she was hit on the cheek — that was almost fatal, Yujin just got to tilt her head a bit, slicing her cheek instead.

 

Growling, Yujin lost patience, and twisted his arm, hearing his bones cracking as he let out a wail of agony — finally dropping the knife, and fell on the floor while trembling. He was lucky that she didn’t kill him. He was lucky that Minjoo was there, and probably watching.

 

With a sigh, Yujin wiped her bloody cheek, and smiled at Minjoo who walked towards her, worried. There was no fear or disgust lingering in her orbs, and Yujin was relieved. She didn’t want for Minjoo to see her as a monster…

 

“Are you alright?” Minjoo asked, cupping her face, and checked her. Yujin giggled, nodding.

 

“Just a scratch.” She teased, and Minjoo glared at her, poking her stomach, and that made the bodyguard yelp in pain. Minjoo gasped, holding her, muttering apologies, and Yujin just kept letting out giggles.

 

Soon enough, the warehouse’s door was opened, revealing Chaeyeon, and other ONE agents with the police. A sigh escaped Yujin’s lips. She wouldn’t get arrested for killing anyway. After that, she held Minjoo’s hand, intertwining their fingers together as they met Chaeyeon halfway.

 

Chaeyeon looked relieved that they were alright, especially Minjoo, and they went outside all together, leaving the aftermath mess to ONE, and the police. And once they were outside, Chaeyeon pulled Yujin to the side — Minjoo was left with Nako. Yujin saw that Chaewon was being treated nearby alongside the others.

 

“Congressman Nomin is not delighted to know that his rival really stepped that low that he resorted to kidnapping his daughter, and well, he gave us the order it’s your decision if you will kill Anseong or they will expose him to the public.” Chaeyeon said, and Yujin was mum, thinking deeply. Well, it looked like her true purpose was exposed, and thankfully enough, her friends weren’t too upset. “We’ll give you fifteen minutes alone with him.” Chaeyeon nodded her head towards the warehouse, Yujin saw that Anseong was being forcefully escorted inside the warehouse by the ONE agents, and her blood immediately boiled at the sight of him.

 

“Let’s see. Can I borrow your gun?” Yujin answered, and Chaeyeon immediately took her gun out from her belt, and handed it to Yujin without a word. It was a real gun, and not just airsoft. She was the only one who used a real gun instead of airsoft for safety reasons.

 

She tucked the gun behind her, and went to Minjoo, taking a glance at Chief Song who was standing at the corner, talking with an agent. “I’ll be right back, real quick, okay?” Yujin said, and Minjoo blinked, a little bit worried but she nodded. The bodyguard smiled, patting Minjoo’s head first before walking inside the warehouse again, and soon, it was shut close — leaving Yujin, and Anseong inside along together.

 

///

 

Minjoo nervously stared at the warehouse, waiting for Yujin to come out. Yena had told her what was happening. Yujin would either spare the guy or kill him off. It was up to her. There was a part of her that she didn’t want to hear a gunshot noise coming from the warehouse, but then, she didn’t know how much Yujin suffered.

 

She knew something about Yujin since sometimes her father would tell her about Yujin whenever they were having tea together. She learned that Yujin was hired, and was offered revenge. At first, she was shocked to learn that Yujin had a connection with a powerful man like Jung Anseong. But that was all. She wanted to learn something more about Yujin’s past though. Hopefully, the taller woman would soon open up to her.

 

Lost into her deep thoughts, Minjoo flinched when she heard a gunshot noise ringing inside the warehouse, her heartbeat’s pace quickening as she learned that Yujin probably killed someone again. Yena smirked beside her, playing with her own pistol.

 

Soon, Yujin came out of the warehouse, almost looking soulless but the rage in her eyes subsided a bit. She then turned to Chaeyeon, gave her back the gun and faced Chief Song who was waiting for her. “I didn’t kill that bastard. I just shot his foot to prove a point. I want his to rot in jail, painfully, and slowly. Expose him. I already gave Hussey justice, and got my revenge. I’m satisfied.” said Yujin, and walked past the chief, approaching Minjoo, and gave the woman a tired look.

 

“Let’s go home, Minjoo. I’m tired, and you look like you are too…”

 

///

 

Yujin never felt this peaceful, and satisfied in her life. Knowing she got Hussey the justice she deserved, and Yujin got to clear her own name, her head was no longer wanted. Watching Jung Anseong get exposed to the public for his bad deeds, and was detained to prison while his injured foot was poorly bandaged as he tried to resist the grip of the police officers with an angry scowl. In an instant, he was no longer eligible to run as South Korea’s president.

 

The proofs were presented by none other than Chief Song. Even Congressman Kim got interviewed because he was known to be close friends with Yi. He truthfully mentioned that he helped them since it didn’t feel right to compete with a devil. It caused a ruckus around the country, especially because the election was near. It could be moved because of the scandal outbreak, and people were protesting that Jung Anseong should be removed from running for presidency immediately.

 

For sure, there would be a long process but Yujin trusted Chief Song to settle everything. Now, Yujin could freely breathe. She was feeling light.

 

She was thinking about visiting Hussey’s grave in Quebec while finishing up wrapping the bandage around her injured arm when the door of her room opened. A smile instantly crawled up on her lips when she spotted Minjoo standing by the doorframe, looking at her with an unreadable expression.

 

“May I come in? I know you’re resting but I wanted to see you.” Minjoo said, gripping on the door knob tightly that made Yujin chuckle, nodding along, and even gestured her to come closer so the older woman did, closing the door behind her, and approached her.

 

Yujin was surprised when Minjoo hugged her, climbed on her bed, and settled on her lap but made sure she wasn’t crushing the taller woman. She was flustered but she tried to relax herself, wrapping her arms around Minjoo’s waist, hugging her back.

 

“You should be resting too, you know? Why are you here… why did the temporary guards let you out of the room?” Yujin asked, resting her chin on Minjoo’s shoulders, smiling a bit when her lover’s scent engulfed her smelling senses. Not like Yujin was complaining, the last time they saw each other was last night when they got home from the mess, and hey, clingy Minjoo was rare.

 

Minjoo’s hug tightened around her, burying her face on Yujin’s neck. “I missed you. I feel restless without you around me,” She murmured, almost shyly but honest. Yujin chuckled at that, it seemed like Minjoo was really used to her presence since the bodyguard was almost beside her 24/7. But Minjoo’s response made Yujin’s heart skip a beat, remembering her sudden confession last night after she rescued Minjoo.

 

And Minjoo’s words weren’t helping. It was making Yujin hope a bit, assume a bit that maybe, just maybe — feelings were mutual.

 

Silence surrounded them for a good few moments, with Yujin gently caressing Minjoo’s back, feeling her rapid heartbeat against her chest, matching her heart’s pace. Should Yujin insert the topic from last night? Maybe she should so everything would be clear. Minjoo might be confused, and she was probably silently asking for further explanation.

 

“Minjoo… about last night—”

 

“I love you too.”

 

Yujin instantly froze upon hearing those words, her heart started to beat even more fast, but she was content. It felt like another weight on her shoulders had been lifted up. The feelings were mutual, and Yujin had never been this happy before. Getting one’s feelings reciprocated, it was such a wonderful thing.

 

Minjoo slowly broke the hug, lifting her eyes shyly to meet hers, the tips of her big adorable ears were flaming, and her pale cheeks were pink like peaches. Yujin grinned at her. “I’m new to this, Yujin but… I think I’m certain about my feelings. This, well, I — hmph,” Minjoo didn’t even get to finish her blabbering session when Yujin leaned in to steal a kiss.

 

Well, Minjoo was really shocked, her face even went redder when Yujin pulled away with a smile. But the taller woman was caught off guard when suddenly, the older woman whispered, “Do that again.” Her eyes were intense, and it was Yujin’s turn to blush but she leaned in again anyway, claiming Minjoo’s lips longer this time.

 

It was soft, softer than Yujin had imagined it to be. It was way better, and she was giddy. She could kiss Minjoo forever. And that was the moment she couldn’t help herself and started to move her lips against Minjoo’s softer pair. Yujin smiled in the middle of the kiss when Minjoo yelped, her hands clutching Yujin’s shoulders tighter.

 

Yujin broke the kiss after a few seconds when she realized that Minjoo was running out of breath. So, she settled on cuddling with her, and let the older woman catch her breath first. The bodyguard bit her lower lip, suppressing a grin.

 

After that, they let their hearts talk to each other instead, giving each other beats. It was peaceful, and nice, to be honest. They didn’t need words to communicate, heartbeats were enough to understand what each other had wanted. This time, the silence between them was comfortable, and cozy. They were both thinking.

 

However, it also didn’t last as Minjoo broke it once again. “Are you going to leave this job now since you have finally got what you needed? Are you going to quit protecting me now?” Minjoo’s voice was sulky, and sad but she tried to hide it but Yujin caught the tone lingering behind her husky voice.

 

Yujin had already talked with Chief Song about it last night since he asked what her plans were after this. And well, Yujin finally decided. She already got what she wanted, what she needed. Now, she would start something fresh, another goal to achieve.

 

She leaned away a bit, checking Minjoo’s solemn expression, and her heart ached a bit. Reaching for Minjoo’s face, she then caressed her cheek lovingly, staring at her with the most genuine gaze she could give. Goodness, Minjoo was so beautiful that it hurt. Yujin loved Minjoo to the point it hurt.

 

“No. I won’t quit this job. Like I told you, I came to love it.” Yujin finally responded, giving her lover a sincere, sweet smile. Minjoo’s breath hitched, her sparkly eyes brightened up, smiling back at her. Yujin’s heart skipped a bit. She would never dare to leave this woman behind. Never.

 

Yujin leaned in again, pressing a soft kiss on Minjoo’s lips before staring again at her. Her eyes were flaming in sincerity, and determination. Her new purpose in life was to be Kim Minjoo’s protector and well, be the lover that she had deserved. And her goal was to protect Minjoo even if it cost her life, or other people’s lives.

 

That was a promise from the very beginning.

 

“I will be forever protecting you, my love. I will be your guard and shield you until my very last breath. I will be around you until you’re the one who will push me away. I’m going to be your protector for eternity, Kim Minjoo.”

 

///

 

A/N: phew, that took so long. i kind of overwrote again whoops i just enjoyed writing this one~ experimenting with action scenes, and all, geez. anyway, i hope you guys liked it lmao its a commissioned work so don’t just thank me. shout out to @/tzuddaeng for commissioning me and giving me this wonderful prompt to write. thank you again so much!

 

i was really shocked to learn that i literally wrote 10k words without jinjoo meeting properly i just knew that time that i was ed lmao i enjoyed writing the details because it will be better if you guys know yujin’s purpose. this fic isn’t heavily romantic at all so if you are disappointed bc of the lack of romance jinjoo then whoops sorry for that~ the one who commissioned me specifically told me that this fic shouldnt be all rainbows hahaha

 

thats all. see yall real soon and stay safe as always!