Hold On

Hold On, We're Not Going Home (Yet)

It’s a little bit past 10 o’clock when Mark’s day ended, and he looked like he was going to pass out when you met him at the university’s parking lot. Although you had a fangirl-level admiration for his sense of responsibility and how hardworking he is, you thought that he should…well, do better at remembering to keep himself alive.

Reaching for the grab handle, you opened the door of the passenger seat at your right. With a simple “hey,” and a tired but thankful smile, he hopped in and leaned on the backrest, slowly closing his eyes. You swore that you could breathe in his tiredness when he sighed.

Without fussing and expressing how worried you were because you wanted him to just relax, you simply asked, “We good to go, dude?”

He nodded, eyes still closed. Having noticed that he wasn’t wearing seatbelt yet, you took the liberty to reach over his right shoulder to fasten it for him. He, however, caught on fast. His hand raced yours into doing the job and he mumbled an apology after. As a person who criminally ignores the concept of rest, his reflexes have eventually developed into something of a traumatized stray animal’s.

“Get some sleep, bub,” you said, ignoring his apology (which to you was unnecessary). At that point, you could almost physically feel your heart sink looking at his state.

He was going to refuse and ask you to tell him about your day instead, or at least surrender with a ‘thank you,’ but his significant lack of sleep for a straight week got the best of him.

He dozed off for about fifteen minutes during the drive, and you noticed that he has woken up when he started singing along to Hold On We’re Going Home as it played on your car’s stereo.

“Where do you feel like eating, kiddo?” You went straight to the point, not bothering to ask if he’s already had dinner. You knew he hasn’t.

“You know what,” he tapped the dashboard in sore-loser frustration, about to make his case. He shifted in his seat and turned to you before continuing, “I’d fight you, ‘cause I know you haven’t had dinner either. Also, because you know I hate it when you call me that and yet you still keep doing it-”

“But you won’t fight me, because...? Hmm, lemme see...” You trailed, pretending to think. “I’m an adult and you’re a kiddo.”

Your boyfriend clicked his tongue partly in disbelief, and partly to suppress the smile that was threatening to show. He nodded a few times as if saying, ‘I see, this is how it’s going to be’, then wiggled back to a comfortable position, looking ahead. “Okay, I changed my mind. I am going to fight you. And excuse you, you’re like what, a year and some months older than me. I’m starting to think you have a dominance kink or something,” he blabbered on which made you smile.

He caught you and he smiled to himself. You’ve always been fond of teasing Mark and funnily, Mark has always been fond of taking the hit. He always enjoyed your banters no matter how nonsensical or shallow they got. There’s something in the way that you dote on him and give him attention that makes him crave it.

“Hey, Mark.”

“What?”

You took a sharp turn to the left, startling Mark as his body naturally swayed with the car’s rough motion. Just as he was about to scold you for your rash action, thinking that you’ve been driving like that on your own all the time, you said, “I love you.”

The car fell quiet for like two seconds until he laughed a brief, unimpressed laugh because you were so unfair. “Did you really just say the ‘L’ word to me for the first time just to throw me off?”

“And it worked, didn’t it?” You glanced at him briefly with a small grin on your face.

Mark bit back a smile and shook his head as he muttered, “damn. Here I am just hoping that you actually mean it.”

“Well, did you really think I’d be at your uni at this hour to make sure you’re alive and have dinner with you if I didn’t?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “For all I know it might be because I’m y.” You just couldn’t stomach the fact that Mark just said that absolutely cringey line, even having the audacity to wiggle his eyebrows at you while he was at it. Mark ing Lee, the innocent homeschooled-vibe-giving sheep that he was.

Oh, but you knew better, anyway.

“Oh my god, quit hanging out with Wong Yukhei and Seo Youngho, won’t you!”

He burst into laughter, clapping at the fact that you knew who inspired the line. This was one of the things he adored about you: you got along well with his friends – even if you had a Tom-and-Jerry relationship with some of them. Glancing at him tentatively and seeing his face, you couldn’t help but grin. Wow, you missed his laugh. Well, you missed him in general.

“But seriously, where do you want to eat?”

“Anywhere’s fine,” he yawned his reply.

“I am rolling my eyes, Mark.” You informed him as a warning since his eyes were closed. “Do not give me this again.”

“I want McDonald’s.”

“Are you sure you’re not just saying that because it’s around the corner?”

“Yes, I swear I’m craving some fries and chicken nuggets right now.”

Mark Lee.” You threatened.

“I really am! Seriously! I will kill you if you drive us anywhere else.”

You let it go, laughing, ‘cause he’s just too ing cute sometimes.

 

Once you got your meals, Mark started eating at once, picking some fries and skipping ketchup which he didn’t really like. You, on the other hand took out your phone and started taking pictures.

“Why are you taking selfies on your own when I am right here?” Mark commented as he chewed his fill, looking at you begrudgingly.

“Noooo, I’m taking a picture of the outside ‘cause I want to capture the feel of this night.”

“Why? Is there anything special going on tonight?”

“Yeah,” you smiled endearingly at him, making his heart skip a beat without a warning. Excuse you. “I’ll remember this as the time you forgot it’s our tenth monthsary.”

Mortified, Mark stopped chewing and quickly, the blush that crept literally a second ago up his face subsided, leaving his face almost pale. He muttered under his breath, “oh ,” his forehead creasing in contemplation. “Wait a minute. You’re messing with me! It’s only February 12th and that’s not until the 17th!”

You laughed, reaching across to ruffle his hair, but he dodged just in time, even catching your wrist as he chewed his fill of hamburger, glaring at you. Weak against his adorableness, you opted to give up easily, laughing.

“I just want you to loosen up,” you grinned, looking at him adoringly as you pulled your hand back.

“And how is scaring me gonna help with that?!”

“The relief that came after did the job, didn’t it?” You propped your chin on your right palm, watching him as he petulantly grabbed and chewed a piece of fries. “Also, I told you it’s no big deal. I know that you’re in a crucial period right now.”

“Yeah, but I just realized my next deadlines are around the 17th. So, I might not be able to even see you that day,” he pouted.

“Don’t worry about it, seriously,” You said, picking up a piece of tissue to wipe off the crumbs on the corners of his mouth. He thanked you quietly and took the piece of tissue from your hand to finish the task for himself. “Dates are just numbers. We can hang out if you actually make it alive through hell month.”

“Or now.” Mark suggested with a casual shrug, ignoring your light teasing.

“What do you me-” He didn’t even wait for you to finish your reply. Moving at the speed of light, he’s already carrying your bag on his shoulder, and taking your hand in his.

“Go finish your drink,” he cocked his head towards the direction of your cup. “We’re going to Namsan,” Mark said simply, but totally giving ‘father-of-your-future-children’ vibes with how decisive he sounded. You amusedly watched him sip his remaining soda before leading you outside, interlocking his fingers with yours like it’s the most natural thing.

Mark was a classic type of romantic (as he liked to put it) or just plain cheesy (as you said what he really was), but he always made sure that he didn’t fall short in making you feel as he thought you deserved to be treated and loved. He was adequate and sensible (boring, some people would say), but they’re not with him enough to see his random cute quirks.

And boy, you didn’t even know where to begin.