Chapter 2

Night Changes

"W-what?" Nayeon nervously laugh. "Baby, what are you saying?"

 

"You heard me Nayeon, I want to break up with you"

 

Nayeon stepped forward to be near with Sana but the latter backed away and that made her stop on her tracks. 

 

"Why.. I mean, we were okay right? What happened? Why are you asking for a breakup all of a sudden, Sana?"

 

But Sana remained quiet. There were no more words that came out of . She was just staring at Nayeon and there were also tears that are forming on their eyes. Nayeon gulped as hard as she can, trying to get courage to step forward again even if Sana will avoid her. 

 

"Baby, please, don't do this to me. I don't want to breakup with you. You know that I can't. Sana I can't lose you, I love you so damn much. Please don't hurt me like this"

 

Nayeon held Sana's hand but she tries to remove it. But Nayeon doesn't want to let go, she will never let go of Sana. 

 

" it, Nayeon! I said I want to breakup with you, okay?! I don't want to be with you anymore!"

 

"Why?! Tell me your reason! We were just fine a minute ago then you answered a damn phone call and when you came back, you're asking for a breakup?!" Nayeon can't seem to held her anger and frustration anymore. "Are we really gonna waste our six years just like this?"

 

"Yes! Because I want to be free from this relationship! I want to chase my dreams and I can never do it when I'm with you!"

 

Those words struck Nayeon like a lightning. It hurts so much to hear it from Sana. She stumbled a little, it's like her while body has gone weak. 

 

"Sana, don't you love me anymore?"

 

They just stared into each other's eyes and Nayeon can't seem to read Sana anymore. Maybe she was wrong after all, that inside those six years, she hasn't fully know Sana as much as she thinks. 

 

Nayeon wanted to hear that Sana still loves her. She felt like it was her last string of hope to still fight for her and their relationship. 

 

"Baby, just tell me that you still love me and I'll try to understand you. I'll still fight for you" Nayeon started crying, she never knew that she'll cry like this. It's like she's begging for her life. "Sana, please, just say it and I promise that I'm yours forever"

 

Nayeon has always been a strong girl to everyone's eyes. It's her facade so that people won't just take her for granted. Everyone knows how she's not shaken by things up easily, except for Sana. Nayeon bared her body and soul to Sana, she knows Nayeon more than Nayeon knows herself. And right now, it's okay to cry and be weak in front of Sana. 

 

Because it's Sana. The only girl she'll ever love. 

 

Sana looked away as she let out a deep breath. She wiped the tears that also escaped her eyes. "Nayeon, please, don't be so low like this"

 

"Then stop me! Answer my question! Do you still love me?!"

 

"Yes! I still love you!" Sana shouted and it almost brought hope into Nayeon's weakened heart. "But.. love is not always enough, Nayeon. I want to chase my dreams and someone else is ready to give it to me"

 

"Someone else?" Nayeon felt like she was killed again. "So.. you're breaking up with me because... there's s-someone else?"

 

"Nayeon..."

 

"No.. did you cheat on me?" Sana lowered her head as if she's embarrassed. "Oh my God.. Sana w-why? Who is it?! Tell me!"

 

"I'm sorry" then Sana walked out and left Nayeon standing frozen. 

 

Nayeon wanted to stop Sana from leaving but all she could do is watch her fade away. She heard the door from Sana's room closed. Nayeon has a lot of questions that are still left to be asked but it's like words already left her. It was still hard to process everything. Nayeon can't still believe that they're already over. 

 

Come on, Nayeon! Stop being stupid! Stop forcing yourself on someone who doesn't want you anymore!

 

Nayeon left Sana's pad without even saying goodbye. She's loosing her mind as she's walking to the elevator. She was still a crying mess and she's so sure that she can't even drive properly at this state. 

 

"Yeah, that's it. It's really over" Nayeon talked to herself as she laughed sarcastically while crying. 

 

As soon as she's inside her car, she grabbed her phone and dialed Jeongyeon's number. 

 

"Hello? Are you already inviting us for a drink? Dahyun's waiting" Nayeon could hear her friends laughing on the other line. 

 

"Jeong..."

 

The laughter stopped. It's as if Jeongyeon finally sensed throught Nayeon's hoarse voice that something happened. 

 

"Nayeon, is something wrong?"

 

"Yeah, everything is wrong. I was a fool to think that everything was finally okay. We broke up, Jeongyeon. She broke up with me" Nayeon said in between her sobs. "Please pick me up, I don't think I can drive. And yeah, let's drink"

 

———

Mina and Momo are in the shopping mall together with Jihyo because she asked the two of them to come with her. Jihyo wanted to but a birthday present for Jeongyeon since it's just two days from now. 

 

Mina doesn't have any plan on buying anything, she's just casually looking at the clothes and bags at the store. She wasn't a big spender and just buy things that she really needs. On the other hand, Momo is already holding five clothing hangers and they're just almost five minutes inside that store. 

 

"Yah, Momoring! Will you buy all of that clothes? You just bought some the other day right?" Mina asked but Momo seemed to be turned dead at her and just kept on browsing the clothes in front of her. "When will you stop spending so much?"

 

"Hmm, maybe..." Momo looked up as if she's thinking deeply. "Never"

 

Mina smacked Momo's arm as they laughed together. Then Jihyo arrived holding two black leather jackets on both hands, raising it and showing it to them. 

 

"Help me guys, which one looked better?"

 

Mina scratched her head because at first she thought that it was just the same. She can hardly see the difference but Mina doesn't want to disappoint Jihyo anymore because they could see how stressed she is on picking a gift. 

 

"Uh, the left side?" Mina suggested. 

 

"Wow, that's what I'm thinking too" Momo agreed and winked at Mina. Clearly, she doesn't even know what to choose too. 

 

Jihyo finally smiled brightly, almost relieved. "Thanks Minari and Momoring! This is why I asked you both to come with me, I know I can always count on you"

 

After Jihyo is finally settled with her gift and Momo also payed for the clothes, they find a restaurant where they could eat their dinner. While waiting for the food to be serve, Jihyo suddenly sat up straight and even pounded the table a little hard which caused for Mina and Momo to be startled. 

 

"What the hell, Jihyo! You almost gave me a heart attack!" Momo dramatically said. 

 

"What's your problem? Are you okay?"

 

"Gosh, Mina! I almost forgot to tell you something because I was too stressed about that damn gift" Jihyo rolled her eyes. "I may have a good news for you, darling"

 

"Why? What is it?"

 

"So.. Jeongyeon got real drunk last night and guess what why she drank?" Mina stared at her waiting for Jihyo to continue her story. "It's because Im Nayeon and her girlfriend broke up!"

 

"Eh?! Really?!" Momo covered out of surprise. 

 

"Yes, Jeongyeon wouldn't lie even if she's dead drunk. I was so surprised too and I also ask her again this morning and she said that Sana broke up with Nayeon"

 

"Oh my God. I can't even imagine they were together for so long now right?"

 

Jihyo nodded while stealing glances at Mina who's still remained quiet. "Uh-huh, I heard they were together for six years and so"

 

"But oh well, that's life I guess. We're just not that sure about our future" Momo shrugged then quickly faced Mina's direction. "Why are you so quiet Mina? You don't have a say about your long-time crush finally being single?"

 

Mina cleared as if she just processed that big news. "What should I say and why would I be happy on someone's heartbreak?"

 

"Well, I just delivered the news Mina because I thought you guys want to know" Jihyo smiled in a playful manner. 

 

"Then all I could say is.. I hope they could still fix it because six years is not a joke. They were so good together and everyone knows that" Mina sighed a little. "But I realized how scary love really is, right? Imagine spending all those years with someone, building dreams and future with her, and in the end you're just gonna part ways"

 

"I agree with you, Minari. I was kinda sad for them too. I just can't imagine the pain Nayeon is experiencing right now. Jeongyeon said that she was really down bad"

 

"But I am more amazed that Mina has that kind of perspective about love when she doesn't even entered any relationship" Momo teased and Jihyo laughed with her while Mina shoot daggers with her eyes. 

 

Their conversation stopped once the food were serve because the three of them are already starving. It was almost late in the evening when Mina finally got home. She was so tired the whole day so went straight to her bed after taking a shower. 

 

Even on her way home, Mina can't stop thinking about the news Jihyo told earlier. She's now staring at the ceiling which are being illuminated by purple lights as she ponder about everything that they talked about. 

 

Yes, she liked Nayeon so much ever since college days but she have never wished for her and her girlfriend to breakup. Not just Mina, but everyone in their college department knows about their perfect love story. On how they truly love each other so much. They were popular not just because Nayeon is the president of their organization while Sana is the captain of the cheerleading team but because.. they're both pretty, smart, and kind. 

 

Mina could still hear clearly in her head the voices of the other students whose adoring Sana and Nayeon. 

 

"They really look good together"

 

"It's such a pity for the boys because these two pretty girls ended up with each other"

 

"Look how Nayeon is so inlove with Sana"

 

"I'll bet my ten fingers, Nayeon and Sana are each other's first and last love. End game"

 

Mina sighed upon reminiscing all of it. If only she knew first that Nayeon has a girlfriend before she saw her looking so gorgeous under the heat of sun, working so hard for the event, she might have saved herself from liking her too much. But then again, that's all of it. Mina just liked Nayeon for the way she is and she never dreamed of anything or wanted more from Nayeon. 

 

Mina was contented on just seeing Nayeon from time to time in their classroom, the organization's office, the field, or basically just in school. 

 

Because when Mina saw Nayeon and Sana walking on the hallway, hand-in-hand, and looking at each other like they're the only one existing in their own world with her own two eyes. That's the moment where she draw and ended the line. 

 

Nayeon is out of her league. 

 

That's why she can never blame her friends for thinking that she might be happy with that news. Jihyo and Momo both saw how she was so head over heels for Nayeon. But Mina forgot to tell them that she never dreamt that big. 

 

Even so, Mina can't help but to care for Nayeon even if they barely know each other. Or even if Nayeon doesn't even know that Mina exist. 

 

"I just can't imagine the pain Nayeon is experiencing right now"

 

Momo's words kept on replaying on her mind. She can't help but to feel sad and heartbroken too just by imagining Nayeon's state right now. Mina could only hope that her friends are there for her and is comforting her. 

 

Mina fell asleep that night while thinking and worrying about Nayeon. 

 

Maybe after all these years, no matter how much she denies it to her friends..

 

Mina still likes Nayeon.