The Calm Before

Marooned

A loud sound spread all over the campus and the voice of the school's  second in charge, Miss Tiffany, was heard as she made some last minute announcements - everyone was expected to leave the island. But for the seniors who just graduated, they wanted to stay one more night to party. Their families and their lovely homes will have to wait.

Most of the professors and the lower batches already left a week before and only a few professors and the seniors stayed behind for their graduation which just ended.

******************************
Irene, Wendy, Joy, Seulgi and Yeri were on the field. They were having a bet on which one could finish the small labyrinth the fastest. There were five tasks inside and Irene, being the most competitive of the four, was leading with her time. Seulgi was the last one to try, she was now on the starting line when Joy, holding the timer, yelled for her to start. Unfortunately she stepped on her untied shoelace and fell face first on the grass causing everyone who was in the area to laugh. When she stood up, she was half crying and half laughing as well as she removed the dirt on her face.

"Dude, why you so dumb?" Yeri said in between her laughs as she approached her friend to help her up.


******************************
On another part of the field, Jennie, Lisa, Soojin, Shuhua, Momo, Sana, Yeji, Chaeryoung, Karina and Winter were having a friendly dance cypher. They recently held the school olympics where a dance competition was included. It ended with a triple tie between Lisa, Momo and Karina so this was how they determined who really is the best dancer in their batch.

One of their professors, Miss Hyoyeon was the judge and was also the one controlling the music. It caught the attention of their other batchmates so they gathered around.

******************************
Chaeyoung on the other hand, was on her way to clear her locker when Jeongyeon bumped into her, as she made her way to her locker as well.

"Oh sorry, didn't see you there" the taller one said.

Chaeyoung didn't mind. She was used to it. Ever since they found out that she only got a scholarship to attend the school, many of them treated her lowly. It was a school for the elite in the first place so everyone was expected to come from wealthy families. But luckily, the headmistress, Miss Taeyeon, had grown fond of the Sons as their family supplied their school food. Chaeyoung is also really smart and very gifted in the arts. They may not be as wealthy as the other students and their families when it comes to money and resources but the Sons are sure as rich with their abilities.

While Jeongyeon was also gathering her things, she talked to Chaeyoung once again.

"So I guess I'll be seeing you again when we visit here" a smug look was planted on her face. As if wanting to boast once again that she's really an elite and someone like Chaeyoung would be stuck on the island.

"Oh I won't be here. I''ll be at the Capitol as well" she answered.

With a light scoff, Jeongyeon responded. "For work?"

"No, for university"

"You got a scholarship again?"

"I aced the exam," Chaeyoung answered.

Jeongyeon was about to say something again when another person approached her.

"I thought you were already outside. I was waiting for you"

"I'm sorry babe. I forgot to clear my things earlier" Jeongyeon said as she closed her locker. She then slung her bag on her shoulders and put her arm on her girlfriend's shoulders then walked away together.

Chaeyoung had also finished getting her stuff when the other person arrived but she just waited for them to leave before she lowkey followed them with a look as they left. She sighed once before closing up her locker.

When she got outside the school, Joy greeted her.

"Hey Chaeng, are you gonna join the party later?"

"Nah. Have to work at the restaurant tonight"

"We're gonna party till late so just join us after, okay?"

With that, they went their separate ways. Joy joined her group in the field again while Chaeyoung walked towards the gates to go home.

******************************
No students were really allowed to stay behind after the school year ends, except maybe if you were born there and still decided to stay, which really only applies to Chaeyoung. On one of the hidden beaches, most of the students gathered after the events on the playground. Some even smuggled some equipment for them to use. Soyeon, the batch dj, had already plugged in her laptop and was playing some music to hype her classmates. Miyeon and Minnie were assigned to hand out the glow in the dark accessories for the early comers.

When the moon showed itself, that's when the party went into full blast. Drinks kept flowing as Seulgi and Jihyo handed them to their mates. Everyone was having a blast.

People were dancing to the music, some were making out and some just bobbed their heads to the beat while sporting their drinks.

******************************
On another part of the island, Chaeyoung and her mother had just closed up their restaurant and were settling inside their car.

"Are you joining your classmates?" Her mother asked as she started the engine.

Chaeyoung just shook her head. From afar, they could see the lights coming from the party. With that, they drove their way home. They reached the house just after twenty minutes but her mom didn't get out yet.

"I've got something to give you Chaeyoung" she then got the box that was sitting next to her and handed it to her daughter.

"What's this mom?"

"This...is from your real mother"

Chaeyoung carefully opened the box and it revealed a weird looking knife or dagger of some sort. She examined the handle and by the looks of it, it was ancient but well crafted.

"What do you mean my real mom?" She questioned.

"Didn't you listen to the voicemail?"

She shook her head and just as she was about to take out her phone, a strong wind blew, shaking the surrounding, even the lights from the lamp post flickered repeatedly. The ground then shook violently and the water from the ocean pulled away, forming a massive wall of water. It was just a matter of minutes before it went charging into the island.

*****************************
Tzuyu, who was sitting on a rock, was just watching her mates as she sported her own cup. She became an outcast in the middle of their school year when she accidentally hacked their social media accounts when she was trying to finish her website. Since then, she has been left alone and personally, she prefers it. She looked away and stared at the ocean, it was peaceful despite the party going on but that changed when a strong wind blew followed by the ground shaking. She saw how the water pulled away from shore and she knew what was about to come next. She dropped her cup and ran to her mates.

"IN' RUN PEOPLE! A TSUNAMI IS COMING!"

The ones who first heard her didn't believe her but when Soyeon, who was facing the ocean as well, saw what she meant, she immediately stopped the music making everyone look towards the ocean. And true enough, Tzuyu's warning made them run so fast.

*****************************
Jisoo already heard the shouting but she and Jennie were in the middle of making out behind a big tree. The noise was getting louder so she stopped kissing her girlfriend and stood up.

"What the hell Jisoo?" Jennie said, pissed that their kissing session was suddenly cut off.

That's when Jisoo saw the big wall of water so she grabbed Jennie's hand right away and they started running towards higher grounds.

*****************************
Sana and Dahyun were inside one of the classrooms. After a few drinks, they left the party and started their own - without their clothes on. They both just finished when they heard people shouting and running outside. Sana was the first to dress up not wanting people to see her body while Dahyun just remained in her position. Still high from what they just did and her drugs.

"Dress up Dahyun! People are coming!"

Dahyun just looked at her with a smug look on her face. "We were too seconds ago"

Sana just sighed in disbelief, threw Dahyun's clothes towards her and left the room.

*****************************
At the school lobby, half of their batch were on the floor, panting, crying and some were even wounded. They were the fortunate ones who were able to reach higher grounds before the water hit the island. Sana was confused as to what just happened.

"What's going on guys?" She asked the one closest to her which was Minnie. She was shaking so hard.

"A in' tsunami Sana! There was a in' earthquake then the tsunami came! Where the hell were you?"

Sana was confused, she did feel the ground shaking but didn't think differently as she and Dahyun were busy riding each other earlier.

*****************************
Those who didn't make it to school on time were holding on for their lives on the trees and whatever structure they could hold on to. Waiting until the water subsided and thankfully, it did just as soon as it reached the top of the basketball ring on the school field just below the main building.

Everyone in the main building immediately went down once again to look for their friends who got separated. Cries of help were heard from everywhere and they all scattered to find them.

*****************************
Irene and Wendy didn't know how they were able to climb up one of the trees but maybe because of their panic and adrenaline rush to escape the water they were able to do so. The problem now is climbing down. When the water subsided, they saw the damage to the smaller trees and houses near the shore. Even the boats that were docked were in pieces now.

Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Jihyo and Momo were all gasping for air as they held their breaths after being submerged in the water. The only good thing was they were still able to hold on to the railings of the billboard in the field.

Yuqi and Miyeon were able to hold on to the ropes on the fishing dock but as some tools were swept away, they gained some cuts on their arms and legs because of the impact.

*****************************
Ryujin and Lia were trapped under a big plank of wood, probably from a small house by the shore as well. They too were gasping for air when the water subsided. Yuna immediately saw them so she called on Yeji and Chaeryoung to help her lift the wood.

Karina, Winter, Giselle and Ningning were trying to look for a ladder to help out Irene and Wendy. While Soojin, Minnie and Shuhua were searching the school and villas that were still standing for blankets to use for the others.

Lisa was screaming, trying to find Rosé. Everyone was busy searching for their friends so no one could really help her. She was slowly becoming desperate when she couldn't find her anywhere.

"Please be alive. Please be alive. Please be alive" she kept repeating to herself.

On one of the lower boulders, a body laid. She ran quickly and saw Rosé, unconscious. She carried her down on the ground and immediately performed CPR. It was something they were taught in their first year, to use for emergencies especially when they are on an island. She never thought she would actually have to do it on anyone, but Rosé isn't just anyone to her.

She is her best friend and girlfriend.

After several attempts, Rosé coughed out the water she accidentally drank. And when she opened her eyes, she met Lisa's worried ones.

******************************
When everyone was rescued by their peers, they all gathered in the lobby where Mina was tending to the wounded. Some had cuts and bruises but the worst injury was Jennie's. Jisoo and Seulgi were holding both her hands as Mina tried to relieve her of her pain. Fortunately, they still had a stock of medicines so it would have to do for now.

******************************
Back to Chaeyoung and her mom, when the water charged into the island, they too were swept away. Water immediately filled the car, she looked at her mom who was unconscious and had a huge cut on her forehead. She then kept trying to open the door but it wouldn't budge. She looked around, and from afar she saw something coming towards them and that was when she lost her consciousness.

She woke up next on the shore with the knife in her hand and no recollection as to how she got there. She heard people shouting so she immediately stood up. After confirming that she was alright, she helped her mates.

******************************  

 

 

 

 

-please tell me what you think guys, thank you-