Maybe This Time

Maybe This Time

You are invited to celebrate HaEun’s 7th birthday! It says. Irene smiled as she put the invitation down. She didn’t expect to get an invitation, after all it’s been 3 years. It has been 3 years ever since she left Seoul to go work abroad, and now she’s back home, but no one knows she’s back. Not yet atleast. “Time to buy a gift for her then.” Irene said and left to buy her gift.

“Thank you.” Irene said as she leaves the store. She wasn’t looking on her way out when she bumped into someone. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” a familiar voice said as they pick up the bag. “Jennie?” Irene said. ”Oh- oh my god, you’re back!” Jennie said as she hugged Irene.

The two sat on a nearby cafe to catch up. “You’re really back.” Jennie said as she slices her cake. “I really am. I actually bought a gift when we bumped into each other.” Irene replied. “Do the others know?” Jennie asked. “Well, I was supposed to surprise all of you on HaEun’s birthday, but here we are.” Irene said and laughed. “I won’t tell.” Jennie said, making a zip motion. You smiled. “But, if you really want to surprise everyone, our friends are having a mini get together tomorrow, Joy wants to make home crafted souvenirs for the birthday guest so...” Jennie trailed. Irene smiled wider. A get together huh?

--

Irene could hear her friends arguing inside Joy and Seulgi’s house. “This goes like this!” “No, you’re doing it wrong!” “Even a day care student can do better than you!” Irene shook her head. 3 years and they’re still like a bunch of kids. She exhaled. Silently as she can, Irene walked towards the living room, the arguing getting louder. “I swear to God. Yeri it’s lik-” Jisoo stopped talking upon seeing her, dropping the souvenir. “Am I late for arts and craft?” Irene spoke, smiling at her friends. Wendy jerked her head in the direction to where the voice came up. “Joohyun..” She said. “Hi, Seungwan.”

--

Wendy looked on the calendar on her bedside table. Today marks 3 years since Irene left. 3 years. Wendy waited for 3 agonizing years for her to come back. She was scared to ask for updates from their friends. But she often hear- eavesdrop their friends talking about Irene and she took it as a sign that Irene’s doing okay.

Wendy arrived at the Kang house and the first thing she heard was, “Seulgi told me she wanted to adopt a cat.” Moonbyul said. Wendy sat down beside Jennie, the latter smiling at her. Joy stopped taping the plastic container and looked at Seulgi. “I don’t think that’s a very great idea. We have a dog.” She spoke. “Your dog’s fine. It’s gonna be fine. Lisa brought a stray cat here once and the Haetnim didn’t do anything to it.” Seulgi stated. “Wait a minute. Lisa brought a cat here?” Joy asked. “Oh yeah, she saved a stray cat once, brought it here, before surrendering it to an animal shelter.” Seulgi replied. Joy looked at Lisa. “It didn’t stay long! The rain began pouring down and I was near the area.” Lisa defended herself. “I think it’s sweet.” Rosé said, looking at Lisa.

Wendy remained quiet while working as the others are chatting away. “I swear to God. Yeri it’s lik-” Jisoo stopped talking upon seeing her, dropping the souvenir. “Am I late for arts and craft?” That voice. Wendy knew who’s the owner of that voice. Looking to where the direction of the voice, she saw her. Standing a few feet away from her. Smiling. Oh how she missed that smile. “Joohyun..” Was all she could muster to say. “Hi, Seungwan.” She greeted. Before she could walk up to her, Joy beat her to it. “You’re back!” Joy said as she hugged her. The others one by one began welcoming her. Wendy stayed behind, waiting for her chance.

Irene eyes met Wendy’s. “Hey.” She said in a voice, soft in affection. Wendy smiled, “Hi.” Hugging her tight. “I missed you.” She whispered. “I missed you too, Seungwan.” Irene whispered back. “Okay lovebirds, settle down. You have lots of time to catch up.” Jennie teased, receiving a playful jab from Jisoo. “What?” She asked her. Irene sat down next to Wendy, just like what they used to do all those years ago.

--

Wendy’s phone rang, she stood up and excused herself. Irene couldn’t take her eyes off Wendy which Seulgi noticed. “Whipped.” She whispered. “Shut up.” Irene replied. “Why are you so defensive?” Seulgi teased, Irene only rolled her eyes. When Wendy sat beside Irene again, she noticed her wallpaper. The picture? A stolen shot of her and Wendy, during their group summer vacation years ago.

Irene was manning the grill, waiting for Moonbyul to return with the steak she asked her to get. They’re currently on Jennie’s lake house. While manning the grill, Wendy was talking with the others, beer in hand, staring at Irene. Seulgi noticed Wendy wasn’t paying any attention to whatever Jennie was saying, she nudged Jisoo, the latter looking at her, she nodded towards Wendy. Jisoo shook her head, “What an idiot.” She mumbled, but Jennie heard him. “Who’s an idiot?” Seulgi pointed at Wendy, still staring at you. “Stare any longer, and she’s going to melt.” Jennie said, blocking Wendy’s view. “I.. I wasn’t staring.” Wendy defended. “Whatever floats your boat, Seungwan.” Jennie teased before walking away. Jisoo and Seulgi tried to suppress their laugh but failed. Wendy shook her head, before walking going towards Irene.

“Hey.” She greeted. “Hey there, hot stuff.” Irene teased. Steve laughs. Moonbyul cleared . “Keep your flirty asses away from me.” She said, before pushing Irene towards Wendy. Shooing them away. They went near the water. Enjoying the scenery. “I wish our life’s always like this.” Irebe began. Wendy looked at Irene. “I sometimes wish our life is simple too you know.” Wendy contemplated. “Do you regret going to Korea?” Irene asked. “No. God, no. Going here was one of the best things I did. I just wished my family were here too.” Wendy replied. Irene hummed. “You know what I’m also thinking right now?” She asked. “What?” Wendy answered. “This.” Irene replied before pushing both into the water. “Joohyun!” Wendy gasped. Irene only laughed at your reaction. “You’re unbelievable.” Wendy said throwing water her, laughing with her now. The two of them playing, throwing water at each other.

Seulgi took a photo of them secretly. “Idiots.” She said before walking away.

The night has come, and their friends are leaving one by one. HaEun, who obviously missed Irene, asked her to stay for a bit. “Are you leaving again?” HaEun asked Irene. She was taken aback from what she asked, didn’t expect that HaEun will ask such thing. Irene smiled, “I haven’t really decided yet. Why?” She answered. “I just.. I want my family to be complete.” HaEun murmured. That made Irene’s heart ache. HaEun grew up with her moms and aunts by her side, and when she left HaEun thought they will never be complete again. 

“Peach, it’s past your bedtime.” Seulgi said when she saw Irene and HaEun on the sofa, Wendy trailing behind. “Good night. You’ll go to my birthday, right?” HaEun asked. Irene smiled, “Wouldn’t miss it, peach.” She kissed HaEun on the forehead before waving her bye. Wendy and Irene were left on the living room. “Uh, I’m about to leave, do you have a ride?” Wendy asked her. “I’ll just call an Uber and wait.” Irene replied and smiled at Wendy, trying to defuse the tension. “I’ll take you home. Let’s go.” Wendy said. “No, I’ll just take the Uber. It’s okay.” Irene said. “I insist. We’ll probably argue here all night. Come on.” Wendy said smiling at her. “Okay, but I’m treating you with ice cream before you drop me home.” Irene said and walked towards the door. “Deal.” Wendy said, following Irene with a smile in her face.

The ride on the way to the ice cream parlor was silent, but Wendy broke the silence when she suddenly remembered something. “Do you remember when we went to the carnival back in college?” She asked. “Of course, I do. How could I not?” Irene replied.

“I had fun today.” Irene told Wendy. She smiled, “You obviously did.” Wendy said, looking at the stuffed toy Irene was currently holding. “Hey! In my defense, this little bunny is very cute.” Irene protested. “That doesn’t look little to me.” Wendy teased. “You know what I mean!” Irene glared, playfully hitting Wendy. The latter chuckled, “But I’m glad you enjoyed today.” She said. “Did you?” Irene asked. Wendy hummed in question. “Did you have fun today?” Irene asked. Wendy smiled, “I did. So much.” She replied. Irene smiled in return.

“That’s cute. Where’d you get that?” Rosé asked. “Wendy got it for me.” Irene replied. Lisa flashed a sly smile, “You bought her that?” She asked Wendy. “No, I got it from those games on the carnival.” Wendy replied. “I’m going to go get changed, and rest. You should rest too.” Irene told Wendy. She nodded in reply. “Thank you again.” Irene said, her hand resting on hers, lingering. “Anytime, Hyun.” Wendy replied before Irene walked away. Rosé trailing behind her. When the coast was clear, Lisa cleared . “You know.. it’s funny how you don’t have that much patience at carnivals when you’re out with me and Seulgi, but with her..” Lisa trailed, a teasing smile appeared on her lips, before leaving Wendy. “I hate you.” Wendy said under her breath. “I heard that.” Wendy slept well that night.

Rosé followed Irene to their dorm room, “So…” She trailed. Irene turned around to look at her, Irene was trying to suppress a smile, but she miserably failed. Rosé smiled at Irene. “You like her.” She stated. “Is it bad?” Irene asked. Wanda shakes her head, “No. I’m pretty sure she likes you too.” She assured.

“Whatever happened to the toy anyway?” Wendy asked. “It’s back at home.” Irene answered before going out of Wendy’s car. Wendy smiled, she missed this. She missed her very much. She hasn’t gone to this place ever since Irene left. But now she’s back, it’s going to be a regular thing, she’ll make sure of it.

“Look who it is!” Mr. Kim exclaimed as the two entered his shop. “Mr. Kim, how are you?” Irene asked.  “Doing great. The shop missed you two, it’s been a while.” He replied. “It’s really been a while. Do you have any new flavors to show us?” Irene asked, looking at the ice creams. “This one’s our best seller right now.” He pointed at the flavor. “We’ll take two please.” Irene said, pulling out her wallet from her bag. “Let me.” Wendy said, pulling her wallet from her pocket. Irene stopped her. “It’s fine. Let me.” She said, handing the man the money. “You two finally together?” Mr. Kim inquired. Irene smiled, “We’re getting there.” She said, before getting the ice cream. “Thanks Mr. Kim!” She yelled before leaving the store. “Anytime!” He yelled back.

They sat on a bench on the park. It’s almost 9 in the evening, less people are outside now. Mostly couples and friends hanging out. They sat in silence, enjoying the ice cream, the view, the company. Wendy finished the ice cream before Irene, and she can’t help but think of the conversation she had with their friends a while ago.

“You finally gonna tell her?” Joy asked. “Yeah.” Wendy simply replied. “About goddamn time!” Yeri exhaled. Joy smirked, “The two of you are obviously so into each other, it’s sickening to watch.” She said. Wendy nudged her before muttering “Shut up.” “What? It’s true! Everyone notices the lingering looks you two give. The feelings both of you have. I don’t know why it took this long for you to ask her.” Joy stated.

Wendy offered her handkerchief, “Thanks.” Irene said, before accepting, lightly dabbing it on to her face. “I’ll return it once I’ve washed it.” She said, before putting it inside her bag. “You can keep it.” She replied. “Seungwan, I-“ “I h-“ The two of them spoke at the same time, Irene can’t help but chuckle. “You can go first.” Irene said. Wendy shook her head, implying Irene to go first. “Not gonna happen.” Irene teased. Wendy sighed.

“When you left years ago, I thought I was going to lose you forever. I was so scared when you told me there’s a small chance you won’t be able to come back...” Wendy trailed, her voice wavering. Irene intertwined her hands with hers, as if it were a common thing they do. “And then you came back, you’re fine. When I heard your voice again today, my world stopped. I thought I was dreaming. When you hugged me for the first time again, that’s when I realized, I’m not letting you go away like that again. I’m not letting you leave me like that again. I love you.” Wendy confessed.

Irene smiled, “It’s always been you, Seungwan. Always.” Irene’s voice soft with affection. Wendy hugged Irene tight. “I love you.” She whispered. “I love you, Seungwan.” Irene whispered back, she pulled away from the hug. Hands on her waist, she leaned in, her lips met hers. A soft, sweet kiss ending the night.

And after 3 years, both felt safe.

They’re home.