That new farmer

That new farmer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spring Day 1, Year 1

When Junho sat down at the dining table for breakfast he expected a calm breakfast with his family like any other day, but apparently today was different, even when he was heading to the bathroom earlier, he could already hear his mother gossiping to his sister about the newcomer that’ll be arriving today. From listening to their gossip, he knew that the newcomer is a farmer who used to live in the city, and apparently the farmer is taking over the old run down farm a little outside of town.

He was eating his omelette when his mother suddenly exclaimed, “I heard that farmer is around the same age as our Junho!”.

His mother and sister suddenly turn to him, presumably waiting for his reaction. He stared back at them for a second before swallowing his food, “ahh.. They’re the same age as me?” he asked.

“Yes! He’s apparently the grandson of that old farmer who passed away a few years ago.. It was his last wish to give his grandson the farm”

Junho just nodded, at least he knew the farmer’s a guy now. But even so, he's sure there was no reason for him to get to know the man.

Spring Day 3, Year 1

It’s been three days since the farmer arrived and he has been the talk of the town. Junho himself has yet to meet the man, but his good friend Wooyoung apparently met him while the farmer was buying fertilizer at his dad’s shop.

So when they were hanging out at Junho’s lawn, the only thing his friend would talk about is that farmer.

“He was so nice and polite.. Junho you have to meet him, you’ll probably fall in love at first sight”

“How are you sure?” he raised his eyebrows at Wooyoung who was laying down on the grass.

His friend look up to him with a grin, “he’s your type”

Junho only rolled his eyes as Wooyoung continued to describe the man.

Spring Day 7, Year 1

Junho rarely hangs out at the beach, but the weather was quite nice today and he had nothing else to do either. He laid down on the docks, his legs dangling down as he felt the ocean waters on his feet. Moments like these are his favourites, the feeling of the cool breeze passing him while the sun was shining on him, you can never get something like this in the city.

But his peaceful beach outing was interrupted when the wood of the dock started creaking, signaling another person's presence. He opened his eyes, a tall and big figure stood above him. He presumes it's the new farmer since he wasn't familiar with the figure. The sunlight blinded him a bit, so it was hard for him to look at the man.

“I don’t believe we’ve met?” a deep husky voice asked him.

“No, i don’t believe we have”

The other man put down what seemed like his fishing equipment and extended his hand.

“I’m Taecyeon, the new farmer that just moved here”

When Junho stood up, he finally had a chance to take a good look at him. His hair was swept to the left and his bangs reached slightly under his eyebrow, the farmer - or Taecyeon, was very well built and his skin was tan but it made him look very manly. And with that he realized Wooyoung was right, this man is exactly his type.

“I’m Lee Junho” he took Taecyeon’s hand and shaked it, “i heard a lot about you, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you” he added.

Taecyeon smiled at him, “well Junho-ssi, don’t let me bother you, i’m just gonna fish over there” he pointed to an empty spot further on the dock, before walking over.

Junho was about to lay back down, though he was curious as to how Taecyeon was gonna fish, so he looked over to the direction of the farmer.

The man was humming a little tune for himself while he was preparing his rod, taking a worm out of his bait box and apologizing to it as he put it on his rod. It made Junho chuckle, even with his manly exterior it seems like the farmer had a goofy personality.

Spring Day 14, Year 1

The Valentine's day festival, Junho's least favourite festival to say the least.. Well it became his least favourite ever since he broke up with his ex, seeing couples dancing around and being all lovey dovey with each other made him sick. Though he also used to do this with his ex, maybe he was just a little salty with the fact that he's single and everyone else wasn't. But you can't blame him, he's still in the 'trying to get over it' phase of the break up.

"You're here alone?"

Junho turned around to see Taecyeon, a glass of fruit punch on his right hand while the other was hidden in his pocket. Junho only grumbled an answer, he wasn't interested in company right now but he didn't want to be rude and shoo the farmer away, so he'll just act cold till the other man understands his situation.

"Do you ever wonder why there's a special day for couples and none for single people?"

He glanced at the tall man when he was asked the question, Junho only shrugged before going back to staring at nothing.

"I mean like there's nothing wrong with being single.. But people always rush me to find someone to spend my whole life with, like calm down dude what if i want to spend my whole life alone?"

"Maybe they want you to have kids or something" he answered, even though Taecyeon does have a point, he was starting to get annoyed with the other man's venting.

"I won't have kids" Taecyeon scoffed.

"Oh? Are you planning to stay single forever? Or do you have some problems with your.."

"I'm gay"

Oh.

Spring Day 20, Year 1

Six days have passed since the valentine's day festival, and yet Junho can't stop thinking about what Taecyeon said.

Even when he's at home trying to do his work, I'm gay kept circulating around his mind. He thought someone like Taecyeon would be the straightest person he would ever meet, considering the man goes out fishing for christ sake, that's such a straight person activity. But he shouldn't make assumptions like this, maybe there are other gay people who enjoy fishing too, maybe Taecyeon is one of those people.

"Why do I keep thinking about him… I BARELY KNOW HIM" he yelled out in frustration, leaning against his chair, his laptop left untouched on his desk.

Summer Day 1, Year 1

And just like that spring has passed, and here comes summer. Summer was Junho's favourite season, it meant more beach outings since the warm summer sun was perfect for it, and of course most importantly, the ice cream stand Wooyoung manages opens for the whole season.

He was leaning against the counter, his popsicle that was already melting and dripping down his fingers.

"The town's hottie is coming this way Junho, you better stop looking so erted with your ice cream"

"Huh?" He opened his mouth while the popsicle was still sticking on his tongue. 

"Hey Wooyoung-ssi" Taecyeon came up to them with a grin, waving at Wooyoung before turning to Junho, who was still in the same position as before.

"Hi.. Junho-ssi.."

The blush appearing on the taller man's cheeks made him realize how sensual he must've looked, he quickly took the popsicle out of his mouth, faking a cough before awkwardly smiling at the farmer, "Hi Taecyeon-ssi.."

Before things got even more awkward, Wooyoung offered some ice cream to Taecyeon, which he gladly bought to fight the stupidly hot sun today.

"Taecyeon-ssi so how's the-"

"Ah, please call me Taec! It's okay to speak informally to me"

"Ahh.. Alright, then since you're older than me it's okay if i call you taec hyung right?"

By listening to the giving his friend and his crush the farmer were having, Junho realized that he never knew that Taecyeon was actually older than him. He thought the farmer was the same age as him, considering that's what his mother said.

"You can call me Hyung too Junho!"

"Eh? Alright hyung"

Summer Day 10, Year 1

Junho was at the beach sitting down on his foldable chair enjoying the warm sun while reading his book. Sunglasses perched on his nose, hiding his eyes from the blinding sunlight.

He took a minute to look up from his book and enjoy the view of the ocean in front of him. The waves were calm today, and the sound of the waves swishing around made him feel quite sleepy. This is really the life , he thought. A small smile appeared on his face.

"It really is huh?" 

Junho almost fell off his chair when he heard Taecyeon's voice, he turned around to see the tall man with a grin on his face. He threw the book he had on his hand at the farmer who thought his reaction when surprised was funny.

He put up his glasses above his head, glaring at Taecyeon who was still laughing at him, "Hyung! It's not funny! Don't do that!"

"I'm sorry! but you were just too cute, thinking out loud like that"

The taller handed him the book he threw earlier before sitting down on the empty spot beside him. Junho realized Taecyeon didn’t bring any fishing equipment or crab traps.

“You’re not here for fishing hyung?”

“Nope! It’s my day off today~”

“You have a day off?” 

“When you’re your own boss you can have a day off any day~” Taecyeon said while resting his head on the sand beneath him.

Somehow seeing the man just lying down on the sand like that made him think about how annoying washing his clothes would be when sand gets in. Junho opened his bag and took out a beach towel. He planned on using it earlier but he ended up finding a foldable chair at home. At least he’ll be able to give it to Taecyeon.

“Here hyung use this, once you get sand in your clothes it would be hard to clean up”

Taecyeon smiled at him before taking the towel from his hand, “Thank you Junho”

Summer Day 26, Year 1

Surprisingly the fair this year wasn’t that bad, he was winning at darts that he knew for sure. Scoring another bullseye as the timer runs out, the stand keeper gave him a couple of more tokens adding to his already thick stack. Junho wasn’t exactly sure what he was gonna do with them, but he decided to go to the prize counter anyway in case there was something worth exchanging.

Even though he had a lot of choices between the plushies, toys, and snacks. None of them interest him, he was considering just holding these tokens till next year, maybe there would be something cool by then.

Just as he was about to head back home, a familiar man with a toothy grin waved at him, walking up to him with a giant churro in hand.

“Junho! How’s the fair? I think it’s a lot more-” Taecyeon stopped talking when he saw the tokens Junho was holding, his eyes widening at the amount. “Woah.. that’s a lot of tokens.. How’d you get it?”

“Darts” Junho shrugged

“Woah.. you must be incredible at darts”

The farmer took a bite on his churro and turned to the prize counter, “you’re not gonna get anything?” His words were barely understandable as he was chewing and talking at the same time.

“No.. nothing catches my eye to be honest”

“Wait really?” Junho nodded his head at the question, “even that cute green cat plushie?” the taller man pointed at a cat plushie which was on display.

“Especially not that one, it looks ugly”

“Well I for one find it cute!” the farmer crossed his arms around his chest while taking another huge bite of his churro.

Junho stared at the amount of tokens he had, and the amount of tokens that was needed for the ugly cat plushie. He needed 200 tokens for it, and he barely had enough with 210.

He went up to the prize counter and gave his tokens in giving for the cat plushie. He said thank you to the prize counter keeper and went back to Taec, who miraculously finished his churro in that short time, laughed at him.

“I knew it! It’s cute right?”

Junho rolled his eyes and pushed the plushie to Taecyeon’s chest, “this is for you idiot”

The tall man was confused for a moment but he gave Junho his big toothy grin again, ruffling his hair while saying thank you. He acted like he was annoyed by it, but it was only to hide the fact that his heart was beating a little faster because of Taecyeon.

Summer Day 28, Year 1

“Good morning Taec hyung! Out fishing again?” Junho calls out to the farmer, Taecyeon had his hands full with his fishing equipment but he managed to wave at the younger man.

“It’s the last day of the season Junho, i need to stock up on trouts in case anyone needs it”

The tall man put down his fishing equipment when he stood in front of Junho’s fence, “why are you out this early anyway?”

“My sister told me to get mail, since it’s apparently my turn or something” he grumbled the last bit, he was a little annoyed about it considering the fact he could be sleeping on his comfortable bed right now under the warmth of his blanket.

He opened the mailbox and took the mail out, skimming through the none important ones, till a familiar writing almost made him drop the other mail he was holding.

"Minjun hyung?.. It's a letter from Minjun hyung!" His face that had a grumpy expression, immediately turned happy when he realized that his favourite hyung wrote him a new letter.

He waved at Taecyeon goodbye and skipped back inside the house, leaving the tall man outside confused.

"So he has a boyfriend?" He asked no one in particular while scratching his head. 

Fall Day 2, Year 1

When he took a step in the general store, he didn't expect Wooyoung to be the one handling the counter. He wanted to buy some fertilizer for his farm at first, but seeing Wooyoung reminded him of something he had been meaning to ask the younger man.

"Wooyoung-ah~"

The shorter man smiled at him from the counter, "Hi hyung, i thought you already bought some seeds yesterday? Did you forget something?"

"Well yeah.. But.. It's a bit of a personal need" 

Wooyoung raised his eyebrow at him, not really understanding what the older man was implying.

"Solikedoesjunhohaveaboyfriendorsomething-"

Maybe saying it fast was not a good idea, as the man behind the counter only stared at him, probably still trying to process whatever came out of Taecyeon's mouth. He should probably repeat it, but somehow the thought of saying it again made him feel embarrassed.

"Can you say it again? But slower this time?"

But in the end, he had to anyway.

"Does Junho have… A boyfriend?" He whispered the last part, in case the man they were talking about decided to burst into the general store, considering that's what he does every other tuesday.

Wooyoung stared at him, which made him worried, that stare could've meant anything, heck it could've meant you didn't know all this time . He could feel the younger man judging him, Taecyeon was about to brush it off and change the subject, but that was when the son of the general store owner burst out laughing.

He was dumbfounded, was there some joke he was supposed to understand? Or maybe the way he asked was funny? Whatever it is, he still doesn't understand why the hell was Wooyoung laughing over this.

"HYUNG! PLEASE- our Junho? Having a boyfriend? Dear god that's so funny" he chuckled while wiping a tear from his eye.

"But he got a letter from his long distance boyfriend yesterday!"

"Long distance… boyfriend? Letter…?"

Why did it look like Wooyoung was more lost than him on this.

"Hyung i've known Junho ever since he first stepped foot in this town four years ago.. And the only boyfriend he has ever talked about was his ex from the city"

"So if it's not from his boyfriend then who is it!" Taecyeon pouted, now his brain was trying to make him think it's someone who wants to court Junho. Still the happy expression on the man's face after reading the name was stuck on his mind.

"Who did he say it was from anyway?"

"Someone named Minjun I think?"

Jang Wooyoung burst out laughing for the second time that day.

Fall Day 3, Year 1

"So do you like him or something?"

Taecyeon stopped shoveling the ground and looked up to see Wooyoung leaning on his fence. He let the shovel fall down to the ground, leaving his current task of planting a new orange tree to talk with the unexpected guest for a moment.

"Since when were you here?" He asked while undoing his gloves.

Wooyoung shrugged, "I asked you a question first" he threw a cold can of cola to Taecyeon before walking towards the porch and sitting down on the staircase leading up to it. The tall man followed suit and sat down beside him.

“So do you like Junho?” Wooyoung repeated his question.

He wasn’t sure what to answer, because in a way he does, but he’s not really sure what kind of like it is. He could be misunderstanding his feelings and confusing liking Junho as a friend with having a crush, but there was always this warm feeling in his stomach when talking to the man, or when he sees the man he couldn’t help but want to come up to him, even for small talks. Another example is when Junho gave him that cat plushie back at the summer fair, his heart melted at the younger’s gesture.

So maybe Taecyeon does have a crush on the shorter man, at least he thinks it’s a crush, having feelings for someone confuses him sometimes. He would never get used to it.

“Yeah, i like him”

Fall Day 12, Year 1

Junho grumbled as he held the umbrella tighter trying to cover himself from drizzling rain, a bag of trash on his right hand. He was walking towards the dumpster near the bus stop, his mom nagged about the trash piling up at home and of course everyone at home was busy except him, so he was the one who had to suffer going out in the cold rain. Next time his mom nagged he’s gonna act like he had work to do, but he was sure he’s still gonna be the one who has to throw it out, he disliked being the youngest one in the house sometimes.

When he reached the dumpster, a bus also stopped at the bus stop, though he was too busy trying to throw the trash in and being annoyed to care about a bus stopping, which was actually a rare occurrence.

He let out a huff after throwing the trash bag, feeling proud after getting it in with one shot, no need for him to pick up trash that was scattered around this time. Junho wiped his right hand on his pants, it was disgusting since he just held trash a few seconds ago, but he couldn’t care less right now. All he wanted to do was to get back to his warm house, wrap himself in his warm blanket and sleep the rain away.

Ignoring the sound of someone opening their umbrella, he walked back towards his house. He only noticed the sound of someone running and stepping on puddles when said person called out for his name.

“Junho! Wait!”

That voice, it couldn't be him right? No, he left years ago.

“Nuneo.. It’s me Chansung”

He stopped in his tracks, so it is him. After all these years he only decided to come back now? How annoying.

Junho turned to face the man, Chansung was still as handsome as he was years ago, just with shorter hair now and it seems like he got thinner, which was odd considering the man ate at every chance he gets. He stood in front of the man, Chansung was still taller than him, that isn’t a surprise considering the man was already taller than him since middle school, and it’s not like the height difference was huge. Well maybe it was, though only a little.

“What are you doing here?” He frowned, meeting his ex while wearing sweatpants and a plain white shirt was not something he thought he would be doing after taking out the trash. If he knew he would’ve worn something more fancy, like a suit or something to look as if he had a good and successful life.

“I actually.. I wanted to see you, can we talk?”

Did he hear that right? Hwang Chansung wanted to see him? And he came all the way over here to do so? Was he talking to the same person who broke up with him three years ago? Because right now, it seems like he wasn’t.

“Why.. we have nothing to talk about, you were the one who broke it up Chansung”

Junho was about to walk away when Chansung suddenly grabbed his arm, “Nuneo can you just listen to me for once”

“Stop calling me that” he doesn’t have the right to anymore, not after the stupid the reason for the breakup , “and let go of my arm” he added.

Chansung sighed, and did what he was told to. The shorter man put some distance between them, holding his umbrella even tighter out of annoyance.

“Can we talk at your house?”

“No, why should we go there? We can talk here and it would be completely fine”

Chansung stared at him with a sad smile, “It’s raining Nuneo, I-”

“I told you to stop calling me that” he hissed

“Move back to the city with me” Chansung took a step forward, “I’m sorry for breaking it up back then, i couldn’t do a long distance relationship like this, but i still need you Junho, i miss you.. I miss us”

“You know I don't like it there..”

He wasn’t lying either, the city was sometimes too much for him, it made him feel restrained. The air felt stuffy for him, everywhere was too crowded, it was loud, and he felt like he had to fit some kind of criteria while living there, it was too much for him. 

“Nuneo.. You can get over it, we can afford to live in the suburbs if you want, my friend offered you a job, we can-”

“How about you move here Chan.. why do i have to move back with you, if you want us to be together again why don’t you do something for me for once”

Chansung frowned at him, “Nuneo, you know I can't.. My job is-”

“See there you go again! It’s always your job, your friends, your family, your feelings” he yelled

Junho looked at Chansung with tearful eyes, “what about me Chan.. how about my job right now, my friends here, my family who lived here all their life.. How about what i feel, why do i always have to consider you but you never do the same for me”

He quickly turned his back and walked away from his ex, but of course, Chansung managed to catch up. Holding his arm once again, the tall man started talking about how he’ll take him to consideration, but Junho didn’t want to hear it, he just wanted to get away from Chansung, to get away from his past. His life has been so peaceful, he didn’t want it to come back and ruin it for him.

“Chan let go of me!” he screamed, yanking Chansung’s hand off before running off, his umbrella flying away due to him losing his grip on it while running. He could’ve swore he was holding it tightly earlier.

After a while he felt like he ran away far enough, leaning on a building, he felt his legs slowly give up, he didn’t run that far right? Maybe he just lacks exercise. His back slid down while still leaning on the wooden wall, it was cold and the rain was wetting his shirt. His tears were mixing with the raindrops now, he hugged his legs, there was no way he could come home like this. Maybe Chansung was at his house right now, talking with his family, they always loved him anyway. He should just wait here till tomorrow morning, or maybe he could stay with that hobo who lives in that tent near the forest. That man would be kind enough to take him in, right?

Suddenly a tall shadow loomed over him, and the rain stopped. Junho wiped his tears and looked up, it was just Taecyeon with his usual toothy grin, holding an umbrella shielding him from getting even more drenched.

“You don’t plan on taking shelter in my chicken's coop right? They don’t really like sharing”

Junho was about to give an answer when Taecyeon offered his hand, “Let’s get you dried up”

Fall Day 13, Year 1

The bright sunlight coming from the window blinded him as he tried to open his eyes. That's weird, did his mom open the blinds or something? He frowned and just changed his position, facing his back to the window before snuggling the fluffy plushie beside him. Wait, since when did he have plushies on his bed.

He sat up and slightly opened his eyes. It was the ugly green cat plushie he gave to Taecyeon at the summer fair. Why was this plushie here? He rubbed his eyes open and realized he wasn’t even on his bed. Pulling off the covers also revealed that he wasn’t wearing his pajamas, obviously someone else’s considering the size of it was too big on him. So doing the most rational thing in his mind right now, he jumped out of bed and left the room.

Thankfully when he went downstairs there was a ruckus coming from the kitchen, and also the voice of someone singing to a foreign song he didn't understand. He peek from the kitchen entryway to see Taecyeon wearing an apron with his spatula in hand, making some pancakes.

"Did you sleep well Junho?"

He almost jumped when his name was called, he faked a cough and went to the kitchen, pulling a chair at the dining table to sit down on.

"Yeah.. I did"

"Good, i wanted to wake you up earlier but you seem so cute snuggling with Okcat like that~"

He raised his eyebrow at the weird name, "Okcat?"

"Yes! The plushie you gave me" Taecyeon said while handing Junho a plate with a stack of pancakes. He removed his apron leaving it on the table, before pouring water for the two of them. Taecyeon finally sat down on the chair beside Junho after getting some cutleries and his own plate of pancakes. 

"Syrup?" Taecyeon offered him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter