This Moment, First Time

This Moment, First Time

Everyone has their own lists of firsts in their lives.

May it be their first word, first school, first moving out of the house, first paid meal, first travel, and so much more.

Most believe that first experiences are actually worth remembering as it is the first time an individual experience it and therefore it will be memorable because of the sentiment it has.

And for Mina, the most ‘first’ moment she will never forget in her whole life is her first love and all the firsts she experienced because of her and with her.

It started with a first crush. The first fluttering moment she experienced in her whole life. The first time her heart beats so fast and her fingertips tingle. The moment her whole body was thrilled just by simple things her crush does.

The light headed feeling of her first time has brought her a new different sensation and she likes everything about it.

Her first crush was back when she was in high school. She believes everybody has their own campus crushes and so she sticked to one.

She can say that she drools over her every time she walks down the hallway and she’s walking in the opposite direction as her. She is definitely head over heels for her even if the girl is just literally breathing in front of her. She’s smiling without any reason just by the thought of the girl. And she is certainly mesmerized by the girl’s beauty, moreover, her personality that is totally her type.

Her crush surely gives butterflies in her stomach whenever she smiles at her, glances at her, and eventually waves at her and says her ‘good morning’ and ‘hi’. Her crush absolutely gives tingling in her whole system in her whole high school life that she could never forget because she doesn’t know that having her as her crush for how many years can lead her to a whole new level with now a label.

“She’s just my crush, okay? Nothing more, nothing else”

“Don’t finish your sentence right away, Mina. We don’t what will happen in the future”

Instead of being nervous, Mina looks forward to something amazing that she hopes will happen in the future. 

Even if she tries to assure herself that the adoration she has for the girl is just plainly a ‘happy crush’, she still cannot deny the fact that she wants something else, she wants more—more from it, more from the girl, more of the girl.

She wants to keep the feeling of being on cloud nine and all the soft, nice, and fluffy things whenever she and her crush is in the same place and being close to each other.

“Minari”

One word and yet Mina’s heart felt like exploding already as it is obvious in her wide, gummy smile and sparkling eyes. She tries to compose herself, but nothing happened because she just coughed, trying not to squeal that made the other instantly hold her back and remove her hand a second after.

“I’m okay. Do you have something to say to me?”

And that leads Mina to one of her firsts with her first love—Son Chaeyoung.

That moment, she received the first gift she promises herself that she will treasure in her whole life: a moon necklace and a love letter.

“This is for you. I hope you’ll like it.”

“Eh? Is there an occasion today or something?”

“Nothing particular. I just want to give it to you because I immediately thought of you when I saw that in the store and probably say the things I want to say, as well, I guess?”

When Mina went back home, she put her bag pack down, changed her uniform into comfortable clothes, and laid in her bed upside down as she opens the paper bag and took the letter out of it.

It’s handwritten with lots of doodles around and a very beautiful handwriting, as Mina will put it.

Minari,
You’re special to me. I want to keep being with you every single day until the rest of my life. That sounds crazy and bizarre, but it’s true. It’s most likely because I like you that much, even if it’s not obvious because I don’t hangout with you all the time. I don’t even know why I’m writing this at 3 in the morning while thinking of you and your gummy smile and lovely, round eyes and your pinkish cheeks and all of you. 
The moon reminds me of you—bright and magnificent, even if it’s really far away, but still keeps on shining on me and gradually coming to me. I want to keep on seeing it, I want to keep on seeing you.
So here I am saying that…
I like you, Myoui Mina.

Their unbelievable closeness started with a single love letter because after that, that’s when Chaeyoung bravely keeps on hanging out with Mina may it be in their library or in the hallways, even in their cafeteria and the nearby diner from their campus.

Just because of that love letter alone, they had the closeness they never knew they will have and they needed.

Another ‘first’ of Mina that is worth remembering about her first love is the first time that someone had written a song for her. 

When Chaeyoung slipped her tongue out one day when they were walking down the hallway to go out of the campus after classes, she didn’t have the chance to stop herself from slipping her secret that moment probably because she’s too excited about it.

“What do you mean you composed a song for me, Son Chaeyoung?”

“Huh? Did I—“

They stopped near the gate as Chaeyoung faced Mina and sighed.

“Fine. I can’t contain my excitement, I guess. Do you want to hear it?”

“Is that so? If that’s okay, I really want to”

They went to Chaeyoung’s house and was greeted by her parents and brother, even had a mini interview because it’s actually the first time that Chaeyoung brought someone in their house from her school, let alone a pretty girl, according to Chaeyoung’s Dad and they all laugh at Chaeyoung’s embarrassment at that moment.

When they arrived at Chaeyoung’s somehow messy bedroom because of some stuff lying on the ground and in her bed, her Mom scolded her because she didn’t even bother to clean up in the morning before she went to school. She then put down the juice and some cookies in her neat study table and closed the door.

“Uhm, sorry for the whole chaos you just witnessed. I didn’t expect any of this at all. Hmm, you can just sit on the bed while I’m arranging the sheet and the piano”

A whole minute was passed and Chaeyoung’s bedroom was well-arranged again, almost looking like nothing disaster has happened and Mina chuckled at how Chaeyoung was panicked at that moment. Nevertheless, they eventually started their objective of going there in the first place.

“This isn’t the final version yet so I’m showing you just the demo, is that okay?”

“Sure.”

Chaeyoung then placed her fingers at the keyboard and played the piano as she looks at the sheet while singing.

“I don’t know about you, but I get butterflies. I’m getting this feeling of trembling hands for the first time, first time. When I’m loving you, I’m always satisfied. Every moment I spend with you is like first time”

Mina surely forgot how to breathe not just because of that certain moment, but because of how soft and beautiful Chaeyoung’s voice it, of how amazing she is while playing the piano, and of how did she get to have that kind of experience where she feels tranquility in Chaeyoung’s existence alone.

It’s just some part of the song and yet Mina can already have the feeling of the song Chaeyoung composed for her. She didn’t even process the fact yet that, that song was written for her and it is evident in her face that she is mesmerized with the current happenings.

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Yeah. I-it was nice, it’s beautiful. I like it.”

“You do? That’s good to know, then. I’m relieved.”

That first song ever written for Mina leads them to another first that Mina never expected once again.

It’s their first performance of them together as Chaeyoung plays the piano and as Mina dances to the rhythm of it.

Everyone suddenly seems like they saw the potential between the two and so they were asked to perform for the opening of one of their major school activities and Mina and Chaeyoung couldn’t agree more that it is both exciting and alarming at the same time.

They cheer each other up during rehearsals and definitely wished each other for the best when their performance eventually went up.

It was a beautiful, well-performed and well-interpreted piano cover of Erik Satie’s Valse-Ballet with Chaeyoung’s magical hands and Mina’s graceful dance moves. Every beat, every tone, every move, every point is just perfect that when the performance eventually ended, it feels like the audience just watched a concert and not just an intermission number of the two brilliant students.

Mina and Chaeyoung will not lie when they will say that they are truly grateful for the standing ovation and unlimited claps right after they performed and the ‘congratulations’ and ‘job well done’ they received when they were out of the stage.

They also never forget to congratulate each other and Chaeyoung treating Mina to the diner right after their performance because they haven’t had their lunch yet.

While waiting for their food, Chaeyoung talks about how magnificent Mina is, particularly when dancing as if it is really her thing, swaying like a black swan and serving looks and moves in a sharp, but elegant way. 

That day, Chaeyoung specifically did not stop giving compliments to Mina because she knows she deserves it and Mina tries her best to give it back Chaeyoung’s piano skill is just exceptional and totally wonderful.

In the end, Chaeyoung walked Mina home, congratulated themselves for their first ever performance Mina will definitely say that is one for the books and right after that, that’s when Mina’s heart doesn’t stop pounding fast because of her realization of how far her happy crush went from just stealing glances to actually performing with her.

First times are definitely one she could treasure for the rest of her life.

The next week after that, Chaeyoung bravely asked Mina on a date that leads them to their first official date.

Another first.

It happened in an amusement park, like all those cliché and usual first dates except that Mina is still enjoying it because the most important thing for her that moment is that she is with Chaeyoung.

They tried different kinds of rides they can see inside the park, even the thrilling ones because Chaeyoung assured Mina that she is always by her side to protect her and keep her safe. 

Chaeyoung insisted on going there because she wants a casual date not just eating in the restaurant or going to the arcade, though she assumes that Mina will like the latter part more than the amusement park. Nevertheless, she tries her best to make Mina smile their whole stay at the park.

“God. I didn’t even expect to ride the roller coaster and the Vikings all throughout my life and yet I’m here just screamed all my lungs out”

Chaeyoung laughed at Mina’s statement the moment they went out of the roller coaster ride because Mina seemed like the type to scream in nothingness and in silence that the literal shout she did while on the ride. Her scream sounds like her normal voice that it made Chaeyoung thinks it’s just too adorable.

They also tried some games available at the park and Chaeyoung was amazed with how good Mina is with games because she won in every stall they went to and makes her embarrassed because the first time she tried to shoot a ball, in the lowest way possible, it still didn’t fit the shooting ring.

The whole moment of their first date at the amusement park is one of a kind. Mina surely enjoyed every bit of it because she can tell how happy Chaeyoung was, even just watching her play the game or scream the hell out of her lungs.

It was a great memory for their first date, particularly their ride in the Ferris wheel and the fireworks that came with it when they were at the top and Mina was scared to stay there, but managed to survive with Chaeyoung’s reassuring words and her dimpled smile. 

Mina just can’t contain her happiness that day because she didn’t stop herself from saying those 3 magical words to Chaeyoung when the fireworks ended and their eyes suddenly met one another.

There’s sparks in it not because of the fireworks that just ended, but because of the feelings they have for each other at that moment. It’s genuine, it’s overflowing, and it’s totally nice, heartwarming, and gives butterflies in their stomach. That’s how they feel.

“Chaeyoung I have something to say”

“Yeah? Go on, I’m listening, Minari”

“I don’t care if this come off as sudden, but…”

“Sure, don’t worry about it.”

“Chaeyoung”

“Mina”

“Chaeyoung, I love you”

The big, bright smile on Chaeyoung’s face was literally evident when Mina said her ‘I love you’ to her for the first time.

She was stunned for a moment, processing what Mina just said to her and realized that she should be the one saying that to the girl, but she doesn’t care anymore because that moment, she’s already sure that Mina loves her the same way she feels for the girl.

“Chaeyoung, hey. You died for a moment right there. I’m sorry that was sudden”

“No, actually… the truth is that… I love you too, Mina. I love you, too. Myoui Mina, I love you.” 

Mina was surprised with abrupt confession of Chaeyoung and immediately figured out what Chaeyoung might have felt just seconds ago when she said those words.

It’s the first time she confessed to the person she loves, it’s the first time let go of those three words out of with so much feelings from her heart, and it’s the first time that fully understood and felt the meaning of love all because of Chaeyoung and her firsts with the girl.

Those three words were precious to her as if she does not just say it in casual, usual times, but rather, reserves it for something special, for something big, for something that she is already sure of. And that time, Mina is so sure of Chaeyoung that she just let her heart speak for herself.

She loves Chaeyoung.

So many things have happened in their first date because besides it’s her first time to be asked for an official date with the person she likes and the first time that Mina said ‘I love you’ to Chaeyoung, there’s also something similar that happened and it’s the sweetest and purest that ever happened in her life.

It’s Mina’s first kiss.

Mina’s first kiss is Chaeyoung as Chaeyoung’s first kiss is Mina.

It happened right after they confessed their feelings for each other when the fireworks ended and they are just enjoying their time while seating at one of the vacant benches in the middle part of the park and people are just too busy looking around at what is happening because they just want to ride some attractions and play some games in the stalls.

Chaeyoung awkwardly asked Mina an unusual question that made the latter chuckle.

“Mina, can I hold your hand and intertwine it with mine?”

Instead of answering, Mina did it for her that surely made Chaeyoung smile.

“Mina, I have another question.”

“Don’t ask anymore. Just do it.”

Right after Mina said that, Chaeyoung placed her free hand on Mina’s left cheek as they both move closer to one another and close the gap between them. When they already feel each other’s breath, along with their rapid heartbeat despite the whole place being the background noise for them, everything stopped when Mina felt Chaeyoung’s lips on hers.

It’s soft, plump, and totally kissable now that she actually tried to kiss her for the first time.

They forgot how to breathe for a second as they close their eyes and feel that enchanted moment that just happened between the two of them.

Once they got back from reality and processed what just happened, they smiled at one another sweetly.

“Strawberry kisses taste so good to me”

Mina said with such attractive voice that truly turned Chaeyoung on. They kissed once again until they’re out of breath and giggled in between.

That certain day for Mina is indeed worth remembering because of so many firsts that has happened to her and she definitely does not regret anything about it. She definitely does not regret everything about Chaeyoung and all her feelings for her as she totally likes every ‘first time’ experiences she had with her and because of her.

Then another first time happened to Mina after that.

She totally does not have any clue about it as she was also flustered, but the next thing she knew after those happy and satisfying first times with Chaeyoung is totally a nightmare that she wants to wake up from, but she’s already awake and it’s not just a dream.

Because her first love was also her first break.

Chaeyoung was her first love and also her first heartbreak.

She didn’t even know why and how that happened, but it really seems like the more she enjoys in life, the more time it consumes, and therefore, the next thing she knew, they’re already out of time, Chaeyoung was already out of time.

It definitely gives a totally different kind of pain when Chaeyoung suddenly just asked her to go to a hospital because she really need her that time.

Her voice is trembling and it’s obvious that she is not feeling well. Just 10 hours before that, she just saw Chaeyoung feeling happy and lively that she doesn’t have any evidences with her that she is sick, but turns out it’s the opposite.

She rushed going to the hospital, doesn’t care if she’s wearing her pajama and robe with her, as long as she has her phone and wallet, and went immediately to the love of her life.

“Hey, I’m here now. Hush now. Are you okay, hmm?”

“Mina, I’m glad that I got to experience a lot of first times with you. I love you.”

“What’s happening? What do you want? I know and I’m also grateful to experience a bunch of first times with you, you know that already, right? I certainly does not regret experiencing any of it. You’re worth everything, Chaeyoung.”

“Myoui Mina, I love you”

Hearing those words feels like first to Mina, except that the more Chaeyoung emphasizes that she loves her, the more it brings pain to her heart that made her shed a lot of tears.

“I know. I love you, too, Chaeyoung”

“I’ll rest now, hmm? I’m sorry I can’t do a lot more first time with you, but can you promise me that you’ll keep on collecting first time moments in your life?”

“Chaeyoung, I don’t want any other first time experiences if it isn’t with you”

“Mina, promise me”

“I won’t”

“Please?”

“Chaeyoung, no. I love you and I want to keep on having first times with you.”

“I’m glad to be with you in this life. Minari, for the last time, I love you”

And that’s when Mina experienced her first heartbreak that will haunt her for the rest of her life. Her first love was gone.