1/1

do not assume if you are not a mushroom

Rumour has it that a student from the Python class is dating a student from the Enheduanna class. Within a day of it getting leaked everybody was already in on the talk. Of course, when you only have about 500 students in the whole high school, word travels fast. Three blocks per year and you get to pick where you go for your last, a culture of some sort was bound to emerge.

 

Think of it as like the factions in the Divergent series or the districts in the Hunger Games, or better yet the Hogwarts houses. Being able to get in and take the particular elective subject that you wanted came with a sense of pride. For the graduating ones they have this duty to pass on everything down to their successors as their predecessors have done for them.

 

The three classes to pick from are as follows: (1st) Python – until recently the top students at the school were the only brave souls who decided to take up a course as tedious as Information Technology. Hence it earned the label of being the smart class. (2nd) Enheduanna – it became home to the more artistic and creative students who time and time again collectively wanted to add something new to their extensive skill set. They chose to learn various writing systems, but mainly focusing on Shorthand/Stenography and almost mastering it in the span of a year. (3rd) Lyceum – believe it or not, the athletic students spent a sum of their time discussing and debating about the philosophies and political ideologies they get to learn – when they’re not out running and sweating that is.

 

Out if these, the first two have been at each other’s throats for as long as anyone can remember. They would battle it out on class competitions, wanting to one up the other every single time. Even during the sports festival when Lyceum­­ would always obviously win, they would nearly kill just to not be in the last place.

 

People nowadays aren’t really sure how the feud started, but it’s there, passed down from batch to batch. There was a time when the seniors would tell their junior counterparts about the story, but that hasn’t happened since Rihanna released Pon de Replay. Yah, it’s been that long.

 

So, now each would guess on who could have broken the long-unspoken rule between the two classes: NEVER DATE THE ENEMY.

 

With this kind of history, it’s no surprise that everyone scavenged for answers. But how did this rumor start, you may ask. Well with sightings of course!

 

A freshman said that she saw an Enheduanna girl wearing the deep purple lined blazer of a Python over a school football team shirt. Many doubted her at first saying that maybe the girl borrowed them from a friend because even with the rivalry, the students would have been classmates in the previous years. But she insisted that it was more than that and when people asked her how so, she’d stumble on her words.

 

Despite the reservations to whether believe the young girl or not, people rode on the bandwagon. Honestly, who doesn’t like a good enemies to lovers’ trope, right? I know I do.

 

Weeks went on with people anticipating if they themselves would get to see this mysterious couple maybe go home together or hang out on the weekend. Everyone’s long wait abruptly ended when the Enheduanna girl they’ve been looking for stopped by the Python’s classroom.

 

The reiteration of the story went as follows:

 

It was a normal day, everyone’s just about finished having their break and are slowly going back to their rooms. Chaeyoung, one of the known students because of her immense artistic talent, knocked on the purple decorated door. Nayeon was the closest and someone who’s associated with the former, so she stood up to greet the girl.

 

She was handed a note with the instructions to not open it and to put it inside the bag of – she didn’t say who’s. The young artist merely pointed towards the general direction of the back row, the two corner seats by the window to be more specific. But Nayeon didn’t see anything wrong with that and saluted Chaeyoung with a curt “gotcha” and a teasing smile plastered on her face.

 

Chaeyoung trusted her to deliver it to the right person so she left before Nayeon could reach her destination, but not without the mischievous bunny spilling the beans to everyone in class and subsequently the whole student body.

 

Jeon Jungkook, the captain of the men’s football team, black belter, one of the few people who doesn’t cry when coding, makes amazing art, and all-around good guy sat in the exact spot Chaeyoung pointed to, so naturally that’s where Nayeon placed the note.

 

From there the rumour was solidified with the identity of the pair being revealed, though still with minor doubts. The curiosity regarding how it happened grew stronger than ever catching even the attention of some of the teachers. Chaeyoung’s close friends were bombarded day in-day out on any information that they could share. They unfortunately stayed firm that they knew nothing about it and that they didn’t want to ask the girl either. If she’s not yet comfortable enough to tell her own friends, how would it compare to the whole school knowing.

 

It’s safe to say that the constant harassment ceased after that, but it doesn’t mean that people stopped in making an effort to find out the entirety of the story and whether or not they are actually dating.

 

Another eye witness stepped forward about a weak after. His story took place outside of school walls and beyond school hours. He said that he was on his nightly run by the Han River when he saw Chaeyoung with Jungkook biking around. He discreetly followed them as much as he could to get a good look at how they acted.

 

Surely enough what he saw was very couple-y. Jungkook was seen paying for both of their ice cream, carrying Chaeyoung’s backpack for her, and pulling her into a hug when they were about to go home.

 

There’s a saying that to see is to believe and the boy didn’t have any proof to show, but regardless people took the story and ran with it. Whispers filled the halls, squeals resonated through the rooms, and stares followed the two personalities. It didn’t help as well that they were starting to be seen together around campus. Sometimes arriving in the morning, eating lunch, walking to class, and going home.

 

Exceptions are the times that they’d be accompanied by their friend but even then, they would act like they’re alone together. It created a following, a fandom cheering for their relation-ship. They became the ideal high school couple that everyone saw marrying each other and growing old together. Soulmates in the midst of failed adolescent flings.

 

Girls wanted to be Chaeyoung, boys wanted to be Jungkook, and every couple strived to have what they have.

 

The end of the school year came sooner than expected but it’s the pleasant kind. All that’s left to be done is to have the annual Sports Festival. A week-long event to make banners for your team, loose your voice from screaming, and play under the scorching summer sun.

 

Because varsity players couldn’t participate in the actual events, given that they (together with the student council) arranged the programs, they had their own exhibition games. Athletes from each block was split into two teams to play volleyball on the last day. Jungkook got teamed with one other Python, Mina the attacking midfielder of the women’s soccer team, two Enheduanna, and two Lyceum; Team B is coordinated in the same way. Everyone’s attention most of the time was on Chaeyoung watching in the sidelines and the remaining on the game itself. The players were just having fun, not really taking it seriously and with them the audience did the same. They waited for a time out to see if Chaeyoung would be the kind of girlfriend who would wipe the sweat off and hold your drink for you.

 

Upon the whistle vibrating through the court everyone howled in excitement. The teams made their way to the benches and at least a hundred pair of eyes watched Jungkook’s every move. Ear shattering shrieks erupted as Chaeyoung gave him his towel and water bottle. Then an obvious decline of sound was heard when they saw her tend to Mina instead while Jungkook stood to the side looking giddily at the pair.

 

Chaeyoung adjusted the female Python’s ponytail for her, made sure she drank enough water, and Mina thanked her by kissing the Enheduanna on the cheek right as the whistle sounded again.

 

Confusion was evident in most, butterflies were intensified in some, but there’s no denying the shock that everybody felt. The more people thought about it, the more they felt dumb. The girl that started it all never mentioned seeing the actual Python who owned the clothes Chaeyoung was wearing and the boy who apparently saw them doesn’t routinely run and lives nowhere near the Han.

 

Mina and Jungkook occupied the two seats at the back corner of the room, so Nayeon obviously made a mistake in deducing who the note was for. Everybody was so occupied with the idea of them as a couple that they failed notice Chaeyoung stay with Mina in the library after hours, or when they’d be late for class cause they took a nap under the tree behind the school, or that time they went out for a movie and schoolmates of theirs sat behind them while they barely watched and instead sat there cuddling.

 

The truth’s been biting their asses and they didn’t even know. One thing is for sure though, assumptions often prove you wrong.

 

if you want another one about what actually happened behind the scenes, lemme knowwww. if you want some chaekook siblings shenanigans while they try to get chaeyoung on a date with mina, just say the word !!!