Final

A Good Slytherin

Everyone came to Hogwarts to learn about magic. Everyone, but Choi Minho.

The only thing Minho cared about was playing Quidditch. He had learned it even before he learnt his first spell. His father was a legendary player in the national team, who was able to lead his team winning the Quidditch World Cup for the first and the last time. Yes, his father was that good, so was Minho.

Minho was a natural when it came to flying. It was as easy as breathing for him. He was quick and precise, making him a very good Chaser. Ironically, Minho was struggling inside the class. Actually, he wasn't that bad in his Charms class. He was even one of the best in his Defence Against the Dark Arts. He admitted, he sometimes messed up here and there in Transfiguration and Potions, but his grade was still fine. It was only one particular class—just one—that Minho found himself struggling to pass.

Divination was a nightmare for Minho. He wasn't interested in it at all, but he must take one more elective subject in his third year. He talked to his close hyung, the kind Hufflepuff Lee Jinki and the soft-hearted but righteous Gryffindor Kim Jonghyun. Knowing Minho well, they said Minho would be crazy confused if he took Arithmancy and he would die of boredom if he took Study of Ancient Runes or Muggle Studies. They suggested Divination was the best choice for Minho, so Minho innocently enrolled in that class along with Care of Magical Creatures.

The biggest problem was Minho wasn't gifted in that area. He didn't understand how the tea leaves could tell his future or how his professor expected him to see something in the cloudy, old Crystal Balls. Jinki and Jonghyun could only laugh hearing Minho's complains while his childhood friend, the smartass Ravenclaw Kim Kibum, to death as he flaunted the perfect A on his Arithmancy homework.

Minho barely passed his annual exams for the Divination for two years straight. Now that he was on his fifth year, he would take the Ordinary Wizarding Level (O.W.L.) test at the end of the year and Minho knew he wouldn't pass his Divination class. Bad news, he would get a good scolding from his mother who was kind of obsessed with the Seer ability but who cares? Good news was failing the test meant Minho could drop it next year. Being a player in Quidditch National Team didn't require a pass in Divination, anyway.

That was why Minho could go through the class with a light heart, especially because it was the last class that day and it was a Quidditch session and he had a match tomorrow so he was very excited. In his head, Minho was busy picturing the game tomorrow, trying to perfect the strategy of his team. He barely heard his Professor's words explaining another Crystal balls lesson that day. He was snapped out of his thought when a knock interrupted the class. Only then he realized everyone had been paired into a partner of two and he was the only without a partner.

"Sorry for intruding, Professor. This is the urgent paper you asked before," a soft voice distracted Minho from scolding his friends who left him alone with no partner. Minho looked up to the slim man who was the one who knocked the door before.

Minho could hear snickers here and there around the class. He shared the Divination with the Slytherin, one more reason for Minho to hate the class. Of course, everyone knew the history of Gryffindor and Slytherin, who kept fighting most of the times. The brave Gryffindor with the cunning Slytherin were never in a good terms. Minho often got into trouble for fighting with Slytherin, because they really loved to bully other students from other houses. It was very frustrating to watch and Minho couldn't just stay still seeing that.

What Minho couldn't believe was they actually bullied their own housemate. Minho was the witness himself and he even got detention for throwing spell to them.

Lee Taemin, the slim man who interrupted the class, was a fourth-year Slytherin. Yet, he was different, to the point Minho questioned whether the Sorting Hat made the right decision putting him in Slytherin. Not like any other Slytherin, Lee Taemin was shy. He was diligent, obedient and never made any troubles. He was never arrogant despite being the top of his year, and he never discriminated or insulted the Muggle-born wizards. He was a good Slytherin, and it made him have no friends. On top of that, he was a Seer. It was an amazing ability, but apparently Lee Taemin sometimes lost it, suddenly freezing and making a prophecy out of the blue. The problem was his prophecies were mostly about accidents, disasters or bad lucks. People were scared of him because of that, as if Taemin was the one who caused or brought the accidents, so even if he wasn't bad like most of the Slytherin, the students from other houses avoided him. In short, Lee Taemin didn't fit in anywhere.

The snickers still went on, and being the honorable Gryffindor he was who couldn't stand the evil, Minho glared at them. But before he could do more, saying something, anything, to stop them, the Professor suddenly mentioned his name.

"If you're free, Mr. Lee, I will be very thankful if you can help a bit and be a partner for Mr. Choi here," the Professor gave Minho a stinky look. "He was too busy daydreaming that he ended up with no partner, and him working alone definitely isn't a good idea. And maybe he can learn one or two things from you so he won't totally ruin his O.W.L. test later."

Minho rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. He pretended to be busy with the Crystal ball in front of him and avoided Taemin's eyes as the younger boy took a seat in front of him. They just sat in silence for a good one minute, before Minho decided he needed to man up.

"So, umm..." Minho cleared his throat as he looked up, and his breath was taken away. He never saw Taemin this close. Actually, no one was really being this close to the loner. So they missed this. All of them, including Minho, missed this.

Lee Taemin's beauty.

Never had Minho imagined he would describe a man as beautiful but Lee Taemin was beautiful. His face, his brown big eyes, his black hair, his fair skin, his distracting lips, everything about him was beautiful.

"So...umm...do you see anything?"

Even his voice was beautiful.

Dumbly, Minho could only shook his head.

"Maybe, you can try to touch it first..." Taemin hesitantly brought Minho's hands to the ball, and both of them gasped, for a very different reason.

Minho gasped because he felt this electricity jolt all over his body came from the touch. It was suddenly warm all over. It made him instantly looked at Taemin. In the other hand, Taemin didn't look at him at all. Instead, his eyes were unfocused but he kept staring at the Crystal ball.

Uh-oh.

Minho started to sweat.

Was he going to get the infamous prophecy of Lee Taemin?

"Do you...have a match tomorrow?" Taemin quietly asked as soon as his eyes were focus again.

Oh no! Please, no...

"Yes," Minho answered, his heart was beating fast.

Taemin seemed like he fell into a deep thought. The longer the silence between them, the warier and more impatient Minho became. That was why, without thinking, Minho blurted out, "Will I get an accident tomorrow?"

"No," Taemin quickly answered, his eyes widened.

"Are you sure?" Minho pressed. He didn't want to ruin the match tomorrow. He couldn't.

The silence from the Slytherin made Minho more restless, so he tried again, "Tell me? It's something bad, isn't it? Are we going to lose? Or is someone going to get hurt?"

The younger guy shook his head in silence, looked a little intimidated. Minho suddenly felt bad. He was just the same as the others. He immediately accused Taemin seeing something bad, even forced him to tell Minho about it.

"Sor—"

Before Minho could apologize, the Professor announced that the class was dismissed. Hearing that, Taemin dashed out of the room, leaving the guilty Minho. Minho ran his fingers through his hair, hating himself.

Jerk, he cursed himself, as his eyes glued to the hallway where Taemin had disappeared.

 


 

The weather was very windy that day. It made Minho become more restless. Minho knew he should focus on the match which would start anytime now, but his mind was still occupied by the event yesterday. Half of him was beating himself up for treating Lee Taemin like that, but half of him was anxious about what Taemin actually saw that he really wanted to ask him about it. What if Taemin really saw the accident in today's match? At least if Minho knew, he could try to prevent it. Yet, Minho didn't dare to approach the younger boy at all, although he saw him sitting alone under the tree, reading a book. Scratch that! Asking him? Minho even didn't dare to apologize to him properly that he hated himself so much right now. He was a Gryffindor, for God's sake. A Gryffindor was always brave. Yet Minho chose to keep walking straight towards the Quidditch changing room, even if their eyes met for a split of a second when Taemin suddenly looked up from whatever book he was reading.

It shouldn't be that hard. Minho was usually never like this. He wasn't a coward. He was never scared admitting his mistake and asking for forgiveness. Why was it different this time?

Is it because the idea of talking with Lee Taemin makes his heart jump and his mind blank?

Minho's eyes widened as soon as the thought came into his mind. But before he could think argue about it further, Jonghyun Hyung, Gryffindor Quidditch captain called him to get ready to the field.

Finally, for the first time since his encounter with Lee Taemin yesterday, Minho could push the thought of the Slytherin kid to the back of his mind as he put his full focus on the game.

 


 

"And....Choi Minho gets the quaffle again! Will he be able to score once more?" the third year Hufflepuff Mark Lee, who had been the Quidditch match commentator since his second year, exclaimed excitedly. "While Choi Minho beautifully dodged Taecyeon's bludger, it seems both Seekers, Kim Jonghyun and Yoo Jimin, have spotted the Golden Snitch!"

As excited as Mark Lee, all of the audiences intensely watched the match with their eyes went back ad forth between Minho who got closer to the goal post and Jonghyun and Jimin who raced towards the snitch. No wonder that they were so drawn in, today's match was Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw, and whoever won would face Slytherin on the final match to compete for the Quidditch Cup. If Gryffindor won, they surely would see a very exciting game for the final, because it would be another match of Gryffindor and Slytherin.

Gryffindor lost last year to Slytherin. Gryffindor had lead the game with 210 points to 70 points, but Slytherin caught the Snitch, so they got addition 150 points resulted in 220 points for their final points. Only with 10 points difference, Gryffindor lost. Jonghyun was a great Seeker, he almost never lost, but Slytherin's Seeker was hard to beat. Kim Minjeong was only on her third year but she was a prodigy. She always caught the snitch in every match she was in, beating all of the seniors, including Jonghyun. All of the Gryffindor players had sworn to avenge their defeat last year, especially with this year was Jonghyun's last chance to win the cup as he would be the seventh year student next year and he must retire from the team.

Gritting his teeth, Minho tried to fly faster towards the goal post. After he quickly avoided the opponent who tried to take the quaffle in his possession, his eyes glanced to Jonghyun who made a quick dive to the ground, his hand reached out to the golden small ball that flew just a meter above the green grass. Just when Minho threw the red ball in his hand to the goal post as hard as he could, he heard Mark Lee shouted, "KIM JONGHYUN GOT THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WIIIIIN!"

Roar from the audiences’ seat where Gryffindor sat immediately filled the open field. Every Gryffindor players flew and shouted happily towards Jonghyun. Minho threw his fist in the air in happiness, not minding the ball he had just thrown. He was ready to join his teammates when a very loud sound of ball hitting the goal post was heard and gasps followed.

Following everyone's eyes, Minho caught the sight of the quaffle he had thrown bounced and flew fast towards a petite guy who stood at the corner of the Slytherin's audiences’ seat. Minho changed his direction without thinking, dashing towards the guy.

Please, please, please!

Minho gritted his teeth, hoping he could stop the ball. But to no avail, the ball was fast and Minho was too late to realize that it had bounced towards the audience, the ball hit the guy hard right on his shoulder, made him stumble and lose his footing. Worse, because he stood at the very end of the audience booth, the force made him fall towards the ground.

Eyes wide and heart thumping fast, Minho forced himself to fly faster.

Please, let me reach him!

"NO, TAEMIN!" Minho could only shout as he looked at the Seer whose body would hit the ground anytime. Their eyes met and the horrible feelings immediately suffocated Minho, as flying and Quidditch were turning into a nightmare for him.

 


 

"I need to see him. Please. Is he okay? Please. Tell me he is okay," Minho bombarded the head nurse as soon as she went out of the hospital wing*. He had waited for hours in front there, dying to know the Slytherin kid's condition but no one was allowed to enter. Kibum, Jinki Hyung and Jonghyun Hyung had stopped by as well for a moment, bringing Minho a little food for dinner because the anxious guy refused to leave the hospital wing before seeing Taemin.

*like infirmary at school but they call it hospital (?) at Hogwarts, maybe because the school is damn huge, I don't know. I just stick with the original work ;)

But who could blame Minho when he witnessed the ball he had thrown mindlessly made the fourth year kid fall from such a high place? Luckily, despite all happened too fast for anyone to do anything, the Headmaster had managed to slow down Taemin's fall with a spell. It lessened the impact, but the poor guy still went unconscious. They quickly brought him to the hospital wing, with Minho following them desperately just to be left alone outside the hospital.

"Calm down, boy," the Head Nurse patted Minho's shoulder. "He's fine. He broke a few bones and had a little concussion and he's a little startled but he's fine. I have mended his broken bones and treated his head, but because it's a shocking experience, I gave him something for his nerves and tell him to stay for the night."

Only then the painful grip on Minho's heart loosened a bit, though he still felt horrible inside. "Can I see him?" Minho pleaded.

"Just don't stay pass the curfew," the Head Nurse reminded Minho.

The worried guy nodded as he eagerly entered the room. His hands were already sweating when he waited, and now they were sweating more, especially when his eyes caught the petite figure laying on the bed, eyes staring at the ceiling. Minho could see some scratches on his beautiful face. It made him feel more and more horrible.

After clearing his throat, Minho nervously called, "Hey."

The Slytherin kid turned his head to Minho, and Minho's heart wasn't ready to see Taemin's soft smile directed at him as he muttered, "Hey."

How could he smile to the one who caused his accident like this? Minho felt his guilt grew bigger and bigger.

“I—"

"I'm sorry," Minho said even before he reached Taemin's bed. "I'm sorry," he repeated as he finally stood by the bed, eyes looking down to his sweating hand as he couldn's see Taemin in the eyes. But he unconsciously looked up when he heard a chuckle. His heart did a flip seeing Taemin was still smiling.

"You acted as if you kill me or anything," Minho couldn't believe Taemin joked over this matter.

"I hurt you," Minho paused and took a deep breath before finally stared at the younger boy. "My quaffle hit you and made you fall. From a very high distance," Minho said with so much guilt in his voice.

"It's not like you did it on purpose," contrary to Minho's grieving tone, Taemin's one was very light, almost cheerful.

"I made you break your ribs and bones and have concussion and--"

"Which was fixed in a few seconds," Taemin cut Minho off. "Broken bones and something like that is just a small thing here, you know that. They can fix it in one spell."

It was true, but Minho wasn't really convinced, "But it's such a traumatic accident and—"

"I learnt flying at the age of 8," once again, Taemin cut Minho off. "Being in a high place is something we, pure blood, grew up with. I know you know that. And falling isn't something new for me."

"It's still hurt," Minho stubbornly said. His voice went an octave higher because he was so frustrated. Why was this Slytherin kid very kind? It made him feel more and more terrible. "Falling is still hurt. Broken bones is still hurt. Hitting your head is still very, very hurt. No matter they could fix it in a few seconds, there's still a moment you're hurting. And I caused it."

Taemin sighed. "Alright. You apologize and I forgive you. Is that okay for you? Will you stop beating yourself up now?"

The Quidditch player didn't answer, because he still felt the knot on his heart despite the forgiveness. Worse, he didn't know why he felt this way. Taemin was right, he had apologized and Taemin was fine and he forgave him, so what else?

"I'm fine," Taemin gave him a very bright smile that made his eyes turned into the crescent shapes while made Minho's heart turned into a jumbling mess at the same time. Oh really, Minho wished the red flame didn't flare all over his ears, or worse, his cheeks.

"Sorry," Minho moved his eyes to his black shoes, couldn't stand to keep staring at the blinding smile. "And thank you for forgiving me."

Minho didn't get a chance to hear the response from Taemin, because the Head Nurse came back and ordered Minho to go back to the dorm. Luckily, Minho was able to steal the last glance at Taemin before leaving, seeing the boy waved at him lightly, that beautiful smile was still there.

And finally, Minho managed to smile after the fateful accident happened.

 


 

Between the tall shelves, Minho let his feet slowly explored the big library. His eyes searching for one particular person. It’s not hard to find that person, as he always sat at the same spot everyday.

“Hey,” Minho tapped the said person’s shoulder lightly.

“Hey.”

Minho quickly took a seat beside him, both facing the big window. “What are you reading, Taemin?”

Instead of answering, Taemin showed the cover of the book he was reading to Minho. As soon as Minho saw it, he shuddered.

“Ugh, Divination!”

Taemin laughed, “Why did you even take Divination when you hate it so much?”

“I was tricked. But I’m taking it no more next year.”

“Whatever you say, Mr. Chaser,” Taemin , flashing a really wide smile that did something weird to Minho’s heart.

After getting glared by the librarian, both students decided to keep silent. Taemin was back engrossed in his book, while Minho just laid his head on top his arms on the table. He planned to take a nap, but his eyes caught Taemin’s gorgeous side figure. It was so beautiful that without realizing it, Minho kept watching him.

It was such a peaceful moment, that unfortunately was broken when some voice from behind the nearest book shelf were heard. It was incomprehensible at first, but Minho and Taemin slowly could understand what they’re saying.

“Don’t mind them,” Minho quickly said as he sat up.

“I never mind them,” Taemin answered, but Minho could still catch a hint of hurt in there.

“They’re just making assumption,” Minho still tried to cheer Taemin up. “There’s no way you bring all those disasters. They don’t know the difference of seeing and causing, huh?”

“Minho,” this time Taemin turned to look at Minho at the eyes, “I’m fine.”

Minho was startled being stared like that, so he could only just nodded.

“Really, I’m fine and I’m used to it,” Taemin said. “It’s my own fault anyway.”

“How can it be your fault when you’re doing nothing?” Minho protested right away.

Taemin smiled a little seeing how this righteous Gryffindor argued him right away. “Well, I do do nothing now. At first, I always tried to tell. I don’t really thought much if I saw a good thing, but when it’s a bad thing…”

“You feel you have the duty to save them?”

Taemin nodded. “Mm-hmm. But…at the end, something still happened.”

“Hey, it’s still not your fault,” Minho quickly said when he noticed the crestfallen expression on Taemin’s face.

“I know, I know,” Taemin immediately flashed Minho a smile again. “The future is…a complicated thing. What’s meant to happen will happen, one way another.”

“Sometimes…” Taemin continued again “…when I tell people, it became the drive of the accident instead, sometimes it turned worse. It’s really complicated and hard to be guessed. I don’t know when the right time to tell, how far I can tell, or what I’m allowed to tell or not. At the end, I kind of giving up and decide I should just keep my mouth shut.”

Minho didn’t say anything. He let the younger guy letting out what was on his mind, because he wasn’t sure if the good Slytherin ever had a chance to talk like this to someone.

“But, I guess it’s a little too late,” Taemin sighed. “Because I only told the bad prophecy, people assumed disaster and I are best friends. The rumor has been spread and everyone avoided me.”

“Taemin…”

“But, at least I have one friend now,” Taemin smiled was so dazzling that Minho couldn’t help but smile as well.

 


 

The weather that day was very cold. It was already winter. The Christmas was near and most of the students were so excited. This year, the Headmaster decided to hold a Yule Ball on Christmas Eve where the fourth until last year students could attend. It was the first time the ball was held without a Triwizard Tournament.

As soon as it was announced, everyone was busy looking for a partner, because there was no way they would attend the ball alone. Jinki, Jonghyun, and Kibum had already gotten their partner, except Minho. They nagged Minho to ask someone fast, but Minho ignored them.

Minho had chosen to ask someone, he just didn’t know how to.

There was one time Minho hung out with Taemin at the library as usual. It was a few days after the Yule Ball announcement. Taemin was babbling how he really wanted to stay at the school because apparently, one of his annoying aunt would come to his house for celebrating Christmas together and Taemin really didn’t want to meet her. But Taemin didn’t know if he should attend the Yule Ball because he didn’t know whom he should go with, and staying at school without attending the ball would make him feel more pathetic.

So Minho thought, this was it. Just casually asking: How about you go with me? I don’t have anyone to go with either.

It was a lie, of course. He was asked at least 4 times already, which all was rejected by him. But Taemin didn’t need to know that.

Unfortunately, it seemed luck wasn’t on Minho’s side that day.

Minho knew it was partly his fault. He was stalling. He could just spew out the invitation the moment Taemin finished his words, but he proceeded to ask about Taemin’s family instead.

Until around fifteen minutes later talking about Taemin’s aunts and uncles, before Minho could say anything, Taemin excused himself and rushing out, leaving Minho confused. The older guy tried to chase him, but he stopped immediately when he saw Taemin was talking seriously with the Slytherin seeker, Kim Minjeong.

He didn’t know they were close.

Call Minho childish, but since that day, he had sent dagger to the poor seeker through his eyes. His Quidditch teammates mistook it as Minho gave the girl a warning about their upcoming final match, but Minho didn’t bother explain it to them.

So today, when they were having breakfast at The Great Hall, Minho still stared at Minjeong intensely as well. His eyes burned some more when he saw the girl kindly greeted Taemin who had just come and took a seat not far from her.

Is there seriously something going on between them?

Minho’s thought was distracted when a bunch of owls flying into the hall, bringing the letters, packages, and newspapers for the students. Minho got a package of new dress robe for the Yule Ball from his mother who was too excited by the idea of her young son dating someone. Minho was busy opening his package when he heard a shout.

“Merlin’s Beard! Kim Minjeong gets a howler*!”

*Howler is a magical letter in a red envelope which enchants the written message into the writer's voice, usually at a very high volume

Everyone’s attention immediately went to the Slytherin table, exactly at Minjeong’s seat. Her friends were panicking and telling her to just shove the howler to the fireplace, but strangely, Minjeong just calmly shook her head. She sighed before slowly opening the red envelope.

‘KIM MINJEONG! YOU’RE A DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY! WHO GAVE YOU PERMISSION TO TAKE THAT DISGUSTING, MUGGLE AUDITION?! YOU WANT TO BE A SINGER? YOU’RE THE DAUGHTER OF KIM HYE JEONG, THE LEADER OF MINISTRY’S DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL GAMES AND SPORTS! DO YOU KNOW HOW ANGRY YOUR FATHER IS? GO HOME IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE HOLIDAY STARTS, YOU HEAR ME?!”

Minjeong just kept silent when she watched the red envelope burned itself and turned into ash. Slowly, the hall was filled with murmurs and whispers. Everyone was so shocked and surprised hearing what the howler—or Minjeong’s mother—had shouted.

Like others, Minho was very surprised as well. He kind of knowing her when she was a little, because their fathers worked at the same department at the Ministry of Magic. His father was very proud of her, because she was really amazing in Quidditch. His father believed she would be the best player of Quidditch National Team later, something he failed to do when he was young. Even now, she had beat all of the seekers in Hogwarts at least once. Actually, Minho already sensed Minjeong didn’t have that much interest in playing Quidditch. But…becoming a singer in the muggle world? Wow, Minho never imagined that.

Minho’s surprise didn’t stay that long, because he noticed how Taemin looked at Minjeong with so much worry in his eyes, making him swallowing his saliva along with all uncomfortable feelings emerging.

 


 

Later that day, Minho rushed to the library, looking for Taemin. He was determined to ask Taemin to go to the ball with him. He had repeated his imaginary scenes over and over again in his head, how he asked Taemin and how the younger guy shyly but happily accepted it. He would accept it, wouldn’t he? He said it himself that he would rather go to the ball instead of going home. So, with that positive thought Minho imprinted in his mind, Minho walked to the Taemin’s usual spot.

As he expected, Taemin was there. But much to Minho’s surprise, he wasn’t alone.

Minho’s steps just stopped immediately when he saw Minjeong was hugging Taemin at the corner of the library. All those scary guess Minho had tried to block just kept pouring uncontrollably. Without much thinking, Minho turned around and left the place.

Minho just wanted to be back at his room, pitying himself over something he actually didn’t understand. He should be happy that Taemin had a new friend. He couldn’t just monopolize Taemin like that. But if she wasn’t only a friend…no, why should it be a matter to Minho? Were Minho feeling betrayed because he was the only one who wasn’t involved in romance? But Jonghyun did have a girlfriend and Minho was never angry with him over that.

“Minho, let’s talk.”

Someone grabbed Minho’s arm to stop him from going the moment he stepped out of the library. Minho’s expression immediately turned disappointed when the ones who stopped him were a few girls, two of them were rejected by Minho a few days ago.

“Let’s talk later,” Minho freed his arm.

“Please, just let us ask you something. We just really want to know why you reject everyone,” the girl from Ravenclaw Minho didn’t even remember the name of spoke.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Minho said coldly.

“Is the rumor true?” the same girl asked.

“What rumor?”

“That you’re dating Lee Taemin?” this time, Hana, Minho’s classmate was the one who asked.

“What?” Minho was bewildered. Where did this rumor come from? Their relationship wasn’t like that. They were just friend. Taemin even…might already had a girlfriend.

The last thought strangely sent dagger through Minho’s heart.

“You like Taemin, do you?”

Those words did things to Minho. Mixed things. All of a sudden, Minho saw red. He liked Taemin? Why would he like someone’s boyfriend?

“You’re mistaken. Why would I like him? I’m just being nice to him because of the accident before. And he’s always alone and—”

“Hey, that’s rude!”

Those girls and Minho immediately turned to the source of the voice. Minho felt all of his horrible feelings sank further when he saw Taemin was behind Minjeong, the one who just shouted those words.

“What are you intending by saying that?” Minjeong furiously asked. “Are you implying that Taemin is pitiful or what?”

“Minjeong, stop. It’s okay,” Taemin grabbed Minjeong’s arm to stop her.

“Taemin, I—” Minho started, but before he could say anything, Taemin pulled Minjeong with him.

He even didn’t spare Minho a peek when he dragged Minjeong away passing Minho.

Seeing Taemin’s back walking away from him with another person in his arms, Minho felt his world had turned grey all of a sudden.

 


 

It was on Chirstmas Eve, while lying on his bed alone, staring at the ceiling, whilst everyone was happily enjoying the Yule Ball, Minho realized he ed up.

He loved Taemin.

It was as simple as that.

He loved the kind Syltherin.

That was why he felt angry and betrayed the moment he found Taemin hugging Minjeong that day. That was why he felt really, totally, horrible when Taemin accidentally heard his hurtful words. That was why he felt the emptiness when Taemin stopped talking to him.

“, , ! Minho, you’re so stupid!” Minho cursed and hit his head over and over again, fresh tears started blurring his vision.

He loved Taemin. He should have known that but he was being a chicken and chose to deny that.

He loved Taemin and because of his cowardness, he lost Taemin even before he could be honest to him.

He loved Taemin and he lost him, and that reality made his tears fell even harder.

 


 

As soon as the holiday was over, the school was crowded again. The busy days started, as well as the intense Quidditch practice. The final game was becoming near and near and everyone from the Gryffindor team became more and more enthusiastic. They were confident they could win the game.

Everyone was on top of their games, except one person.

The one person who was never distracted even once if it was about Quidditch. The Choi Minho.

Jonghyun noticed the change in his friend since a week before Christmas. He thought there was something but Minho always brushed it off every time he, or Jinki, or Kibum, asked. They decided it must be something Minho needed to fix himself, so they agreed they shouldn't push it further. But of course, they were still worried. Between the three, Jonghyun felt it the most, because he felt concerned as friend, as well as the captain of the team.

That was why after practice, Jonghyun called Minho to talk to him alone. His worried expression made Minho feel really bad. He knew the game was very important for Jonghyun. It was also important for Minho. So when Jonghyun softly told him to fix whatever he needed to fix, he just nodded eventhough inside he knew it was almost impossible.

Minho had tried to talk to Taemin, but the younger guy kept avoiding him. On top of that, Taemin lately had been hanging out with Minjeong and her friends a lot, that it was hard to get him alone nowadays. Minho also never found him again on his usual spot at the library. So just like today, instead of having dinner with the others, Minho ended up sitting there, staring at the empty seat beside him and wishing he could turn back time. Even if Taemin chose other person, at least Minho still could be by his side, seeing his beautiful smile. But Minho was so foolish that he ruined everything.

A gasp pulled Minho out of his deep thought. He turned and his eyes widened finding Taemin, who was as surprised as him, standing there with some books in his embrace. Both were freezing for a moment, before the Slytherin turned around to leave. Snapped back to his consciousness, Minho quickly chased him.

Thanks to Minho’s longer legs, he finally caught up with the younger boy at the empty corridor between the tall shelves. “Taemin, please. We need to talk,” Minho begged as he grabbed Taemin’s arm.

“There’s no need. I heard it very clearly that day,” Taemin turned to Minho, and Minho felt like crying because he could finally see Taemin this close again. God, he missed this guy so much.

“You’re just hanging out with me because you’re feeling guilty and pity towards me. I get it. But I don’t need it, so you don’t need to do that anymore,” Taemin said calmly, but hurt was very apparent in his face.

“It’s not like that,” Minho quickly denied. “It’s not like that.”

“Is that so? Why then? Why did you say so to those girls?” Taemin demanded.

“It’s just… those girls suddenly stopped me from going and asked some non-sense.”

 “What were they asking?” Taemin pressed.

“Well…they asked…” Minho’s voice went lower and lower. “They asked if we were dating.”

“Oh,” realization hit Taemin’s face.

For a moment, Minho felt relieved, that Taemin might understand and they would be okay again. But his hope was tarnished when Taemin spoke again.

“Right. Okay. I understand,” Taemin nodded. He just kept nodding as he blabbered, “Of course, you don’t want to be misunderstood like that. I mean…I know…the rumor will just make you uncomfortable. I mean, being rumored dating someone like me…of course you don’t want that.”

“You’re wrong!” Minho half-shouted, feeling very frustrated. “You’re wrong. That’s not how I thought.”

“No, Minho. You don’t need to pretend—”

Minho cut him off right away, “I swear, it’s not the reason. I just…I was so angry…” Minho paused, fiddling with his fingers in nervousness. “I was so angry because I saw you together with Minjeong that day…hugging…”

“You saw what?”

“You and Minjeong hugging that day…at the library,” Minho told, and then his words just flew out like that. “I was so angry and I didn’t know why. So when those girls asking if we’re dating or not…I just exploded. I was just saying non-sense. Because I was angry.”

“I don’t understand. Why are you being angry?” Taemin asked, clearly looked as frustrated as Minho.

“Because…” Minho took a deep breath, “Because I love you.”

Taemin just blinked. He just blinked and didn’t say anything and that made Minho really scared and nervous.

“I love you, Taemin. Really,” Minho confessed but he sounded more like he was begging. “I love you but I haven’t realized it that day. I just knew I was so furious by the thought that Minjeong and you were dating and—”

This time, Taemin was the one who cut Minho off, “We’re not dating.”

“What? You’re not?” Minho couldn’t believe his ears. Is that true…then is that mean…

“She just thanked me because I warned her about the howler and how his parents found out about her muggle singer audition the other day before. She then apparently decided she wanted her parents to know, so she purposely made his parents found out just the way I foresaw it, hence she got the howler but she just let it be.”

“So you’re not…you two aren’t…”

“We’re not dating,” Taemin repeated in a tired tone, like he had had enough with this conversation.

“Sorry, Taemin. It’s just…I was just so jealous that…” Minho had felt really stupid these past few weeks, but he felt more stupid now.

“But does that make it alright? For you to talk about me like that?” Taemin’s voice cracked. “You know exactly how I value our friendship, but you talked to other people as if it’s not something important, that you’re doing it out of pity.”

Seeing Taemin’s glistened eyes shattered Minho’s already broken heart. “I didn’t meant to. I didn’t know you hear—”

“So, as long as I don’t hear it, you can say whatever you want about me?” Taemin’s words were just a whisper, but the quiet library made it sound so clear in Minho’s ears.

“I’m sorry, Taemin. I’m really sorry,” Minho begged. “I’m sorry. Please, I was wrong, but trust me I really didn’t mean it like that. I never want to hurt you.”

Taemin’s tears fell then, but he quickly wiped it and sighed, “You know Minho, you ruined it all. That day I was so happy, because I got to know that the future…it’s based on the choice. All these times, I felt so hopeless because I couldn’t do anything, but Minjeong made me realize that they themselves must make a choice about that. I finally felt the burden was lifted off of me. But you…you easily destroyed my happiness only by a few words.”

Taemin’s words sealed Minho’s mouth. He was ashamed by his action. Taemin was right, whatever he felt that day, it didn’t make it right to shade Taemin behind his back like that. Why was he in Gryffindor anyway? He was such a coward.

So, Minho couldn’t do anything when Taemin finally made his step towards the door. He ruined everything. He had ruined everything.

 


 

“You’re so stupid.”

“I know.”

“I can’t believe you’re this stupid.”

“I know.”

“You’re such a jerk.”

“I know.”

“I hope you burn in hell.”

“I hope so too.”

Jinki and Jonghyun looked back and forth to the furious Kibum and hollow-looking Minho. Minho had just told them what happened, and Kibum immediately scolded him. The heartbroken guy didn’t mind it though. He just kept looking blankly at the lake in front of them.

“Say something,” Kibum who wasn’t satisfied by Minho’s reaction quickly turned to the two older guy.

“What should we say?” Jonghyun asked. He agreed that Minho was in the fault here, but Minho already suffered enough that he didn’t need another scolding.

“Anything!” Kibum rolled his eyes.

“Listen, listen,” Jinki, as the oldest, felt he needed to step up. “Minho, yes, you’re wrong.”

“Obviously,” Kibum added.

“Ssh,” Jonghyun motioned Kibum to keep quiet.

“I know that,” Minho finally gave his attention to his friends.

“So, it’s only right for you to apologize,” Jinki continued.

“I did but he was so hurt that he didn’t want to forgive me,” Minho’s eyes started to tear up again remembering the conversation he had with Taemin yesterday night.

“But you apologize just once,” Jinki said.

“Exactly,” Kibum immediately butted in. “Will you just give up over one apology and rejection?”

“Okay, now I agree with Kibum,” Jonghyun added.

“Aren’t you a Gryffindor? Where’s the courageous and willful traits you’re supposed to have?” Kibum asked frustratedly.

“Right,” Minho nodded. “There’s no way I’m giving up like this.”

Jinki smiled seeing life finally came back to Minho’s face. He pat Minho’s shoulder lightly, “That’s the Minho we know.”

 


 

Twelve days. It had been twelve days that Minho followed Taemin around as much as possible, begging for forgiveness. People started to talk but Minho didn’t mind it a bit. He wasn’t discouraged even when Taemin kept chasing him away. He even ever sat on the Slytherin table, waiting Taemin to finish his meal. But because Taemin seemed to eat a little whenever Minho did that just so he could leave fast, Minho stopped doing that and chose to wait in front of The Great Hall.

But finally, it seemed that Taemin had had enough. Later that night, after the dinner, Taemin finally pulled Minho who was trailing him from behind into one of the empty classroom.

“Until when will you keep doing this?” Taemin asked. His face showed that he was very annoyed.

“Until you forgive me,” Minho answered him in a very pitiful tone, hoping it could melt Taemin’s heart a little.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work. “Seriously, Minho. Just leave me alone. Why can’t you just leave me alone?”

“Because I love you,” Minho talked as if he said something so obvious that Taemin should have known it.

Taemin was a little taken aback by the forwardness from Minho, but he quickly composed himself, “Do you think by saying you love me can make me forget everything?”

“No, of course not,” Minho shook his head sadly. “That’s why I’m trying to get your forgiveness.”

Minho hesitantly took Taemin’s hands in his, they were so small and it made Minho’s heart beat very fast. “Taemin, it’s okay if you don’t like me back. It’s okay if I keep being the one who have this feeling. As long as you forgive me. Please, Taemin-ah.”

Taemin didn’t pull his hands back, gave Minho a little hope. So, Minho tried to push his luck further.

“Please, Taemin. What can I do? What can I do to make you forgive me?”

“You can do anything?” Taemin finally spoke. Minho was very disappointed when Taemin finally pulled his hands back.

Minho instantly nodded eagerly. “I can do anything.”

“Then win the Quidditch Cup tomorrow,” Taemin said. “If you can win, I’ll forgive you.”

“I can win it. I’ll definitely win it.”

Taemin shook his head in doubt, “I don’t know. I’ll tell you what I saw earlier.”

“Minjeong plays so well,” Taemin started. “She will see the snitch first. As always. She flies fast too, as always. You know how it always ends.”

“No,” Minho said confidently. “I’ll change that. You said the future it’s about our choice, right? I’ll change that. I’ll win it.”

“Well, we need to see it tomorrow, whether you really can do it or not.”

With that, Taemin left Minho who was million times more determined to win the game tomorrow.

 


 

When Minho said he would win the game, it was all based on determination and confidence. The nervousness started to kick in slowly when he had breakfast the next day. He was too nervous that he couldn’t really swallow anything. His teammates looked at him worriedly, because they never saw Minho became like this over a game. Fired up, of course. But nervous wasn’t something Minho usually felt. That made everyone felt bad, because Minho was the ace and he shouldered all the burden. Even Jonghyun said this to him, “Minho you know, even if we don’t win today, I am okay. I became the captain because I love this team, not only because I want to win the Quidditch Cup. Well, of course I want to win, but I just want you to know that it’s not everything.”

Minho just nodded, couldn’t bear to tell that he himself really wanted—needed—to win the game. After that, Minho tried to make it less obvious that he was nervous. At the changing room, he tried to joke around like he used to, lifting up everyone’s spirit. Seeing Minho behaved like that, Jonghyun felt a little relieved, thinking the burden on Minho’s shoulder lessened a little.

The fact, it wasn’t. When the game started, Minho played like a madman. He scored so much in a little time. Unfortunately, the opponents were just as fired up as Minho and his team. They tried to lessen the gap as much as possible, resulting the score 190-100 for Gryffinfor.

Minho gritted his teeth as he flew over the goal post, avoiding a few bludgers and the other chasers from the Slytherin. In no time, he had arrived in front of the goal post, and successfully made another goal.

But for Minho the score was still not enough. They only lead by 100 points. If Minjeong caught the snitch, they would still lose. So in the middle of the game, Minho flew over to Jonghyun.

“How about you stick close to Minjeong?” Minho suggested.

“Why?” Jonghyun frowned, feeling clearly confused.

“Just trust me. Please,” Minho begged.

Seeing Minho begged like that, Jonghyun finally agreed. He quickly flew to approach Minjeong. He turned his head back for a second to look at Minho. The tall guy nodded, giving him some assurance. So after that, Jonghyun kept following Minjeong around.

After talking to Jonghyun, Minho was quickly back focusing on the game. He scored some more, but he still need more. Just one more, because they were on 280-130 now.

Minho was busy racing to the goal post while avoiding Park Jae Yong, the Slytherin chaser. But in the middle of that, he suddenly heard a commotion. He tried to hear what Mark, the commentator said, in between the noisy wind on his ears.

“It seems like both Kim Minjeong and Kim Jonghyun see the snitch. They’re racing towards the sly ball. Oh no…the bludger almost hit Kim Jonghyun, but a good defense by Kim Jongin over there. Now Kim Minjeong takes a little lead. Can she catch the snitch again?”

No, please. Not now. Not now. Please, a little bit more. Just one more goal…

Minho was already in front of the goal post when the whistle was blown. Minho was ready to cry in frustration, when he heard, “KIM JONGHYUN CAUGHT THE SNITCH. GRYFFINDOR WIN!!!”

Even when there was an uproar from the Gryffindor seat, even when his teammates rushed over to the crying Jonghyun who held the snitch up proudly, Minho still couldn’t believe his ears.

Do they really win? Do they really…

Then Minho’s eyes caught him. He was standing at the corner of the green field, smiling widely. Without much thinking, and without minding his teammates’ call, Minho flew towards him. He landed softly, right in front of the beautiful Slytherin.

“We win,” Minho whispered.

“Congratulations,” Taemin chuckled.

“I told you. I can change it,” Minho brag off immediately.

“Well, it’s a good move to make Kim Jonghyun stay close to Minjeong,” Taemin admitted, his smile seemed very suspicious.

Then the realization hit Minho, “Did you tell me that Minjeong would see the snitch first so I would do that?”

Taemin shrugged, “To be fair, I did saw Minjeong saw the snitch first, but it’s only a split of second before Jonghyun saw it as well. And, actually, I saw Gryffindor would win.”

Minho laughed in disbelief. “Well, why did you tell me like that, then?”

“Maybe because I want to forgive you but I want to give a little payback. Seeing you so nervous is a little entertaining. And you working hard to score is a pleasant sight,” Taemin said, teasing Minho.

“So am I forgiven?” Minho asked the thing he was dying to ask.

“Mm-hmm,” Taemin nodded, smiling widely, made Minho smile as well. “And…”

“Hmmm?”

“I love you too.”

“Sorry, what?” Minho’s eyes widened.

“If I may be honest, I have fallen in love with you the moment you saved me years ago from the bullies. And I actually saw your quaffle would hit me that day, but I still chose to stay there, right at the spot.”

“Why?”

“Because…” now there was a blush spreading on Taemin’s cheeks. It was very, very beautiful that it made Minho’s already fast heartbeat became faster, and it stirred some new feelings in Minho’s heart. “I thought I would get a chance to talk to you after the accident. I wanted to thank you, for saving me, to the point you even got a detention because of it. Although in the end I didn’t get a chance to say it because you kept rambling that night and—”

Taemin didn’t get a chance to finish his words, because Minho had grabbed his neck to pull him into a kiss. Taemin could hear the commotions from the audience seat, but Minho’s lips on his were just too good that he could only close his eyes and kissed him back.

When Minho finally pulled back a little, he whispered, “Aren’t you a little cunning?”

“Mm-hmm,” Taemin bit back his smile, his heart was racing crazily because he could still feel Minho’s breath on his lips. “I am a Slytherin, after all.”

“Well, you’re my good Slytherin,” Minho said before he kissed Taemin again, ignoring the gasps and murmurs behind them, ignoring the shout ‘CHOI MINHO, DETENTION!’ from his Head of House, ignoring the cheers from his friends and teammates, because none of those matter.

Because finally, Minho could be brave and claimed this good Slytherin as his.

 

-FIN-


 

A/N So...8.426 words. Wow, I kept regretting while writing this because I was like, 'why this never ends' while I'm the one who make the plot...

I'm sorry if it's a little rush, not very detail etc, towards the end because I'm just getting sleepy and tired but I just want to finish this.

And I haven't re-read it so there MUST be some mistaktes.

Forgive me.

I hope you enjoy this.

Comments are very loved!

 

XOXO