evanescence

evanescence

Blazing heat and humid weather.

They both decided to just stay inside their own apartment as they think they both cannot handle the hot atmosphere outside their place. Also, the current weather makes them feel lazy about everything, even if they really want to be productive.

They just cannot move much and leave their couch in the living room because it's where their air conditioner is at its maximum power, and at that point, they don't care about their electric bill anymore because it's just so hot and it somehow gives them an awkward feeling.

"Should we order some shaved ice cream? One order each?"

"Yes, please"

Chaeyoung reached for her phone at the side table of their living room and tried to search for the nearest shaved ice cream store from their apartment so it will not melt drastically.

On normal and casual days, they just want to lie down on their bedroom bed and do nothing, probably just stare at their ceiling at broad daylight and dance the night away afterwards. And when it's too boring for them, they will just get out to stay in their living room and watch some dramas or movies playing on their television.

In those days like that, they felt comfortable beside each other the most because they can fit themselves in their couch until one of them fell down and they will laugh at each other, or most times, Mina will just choose to sit and let Chaeyoung lay her head on her lap as she brushes her hair and tries to kiss her forehead every time she has a chance.

When their shaved ice cream eventually arrived and it's thankfully still looks like a shaved ice cream as it didn't melt on their way to their apartment, they didn't bother to go to their dining room anymore and enjoy their food in their living room, sitting on the floor and putting it at the front table a bit far away from their television.

Even if they ordered one for each, it still doesn't stop them from asking from one another's own food—it's also the reason why they order different flavors so they can taste both and maybe it's also an excuse so they can literally feed each other like a baby (well, that counts, they are indeed each other's baby).

"Why does yours taste better than mine?"

"That means only one thing and that's 'strawberry superior' "

"I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's still 'avocado superior' for me"

Warmth. Even if it's a humid weather, their shaved ice cream and each other's presence and laughter can already fight the humidity of the atmosphere and make it warm.

-----

Refreshing atmosphere and lovely afternoon.

When the weather is just right for them to get out from their apartment, that's when they decide to walk in their neighborhood and sometimes decide to go to the heart of the city to walk into some shops, not buying anything, but just looking at the trending products they might want to buy in the near future.

That's also the time when they enjoy walking in the streets and buying some street foods they think that can attract and satisfy their appetite.

May it be ice cream or cotton candy or rice cake or fish cake or lobster with cheese or tornado potato or churros or strawberry dipped in chocolate, as long as it gratifies their cravings, it's already enough for them to buy it and eat it as they walk around the whole district and eventually enter one of their favorite tea shop that is just right for a cool atmosphere.

"Jasmine green tea? Or red tea? Or black tea?"

"Jasmine green tea, please. Thank you"

A refreshing tea could certainly give a soothing feeling to the both of them as they enjoy a Saturday afternoon beside each other as they enjoy the wonderful weather and see the happiness in other people's faces they can encounter in the streets.

It gives them a light feeling knowing that the environment can easily affect them with their mood and it doesn't give them any negative feeling.

"The weather is so nice, right?"

"Yeah, it feels like it's great to go the public park after this. What do you say?"

"We can, of course. We don't have work today, so might as well make the best out of it. We can stay there until sunset, I guess?"

When they eventually went to the public park and was welcomed by the laughter of the children playing and seems like having their own little world, it made them smile.

They then went to the vacant bench available in the area and just observe the children in front of them playing freely with each other, even if they bet they don't know each other very well.

Watching the kids run free, talking with each other as they giggle at one another, hold each other tight and just enjoy their play time in general, is a different kind of happiness to both Mina and Chaeyoung. It feels like they just want to go back to their childhood when they don't have anything to worry about.

As the colors of the skies slowly turns into orange and pink, and the sun is gradually making its way down that creates a wonderful horizon, Chaeyoung turned her head to Mina and gave her a sweet smile.

"I love you, Mina."

-----

Misty rain and melancholic environment.

They are staying in their bedroom as they can hear the drizzles outside that slowly gives a cold breeze inside their room.

All of the lights in their apartment are off, even the lamp beside their table and the only thing that gives light to the whole place is the street light that is somehow far away (but still visible) from their building.

It's already 12 minutes past 10 in the evening. They are cuddling each other and both cannot sleep, thinking of ways so they can eventually fall asleep as they have work the next day.

"Chaeyoung, do you think promises are indeed made to be broken?"

Mina plays with the girls fingers and the younger is thinking deeply of the right answer she wants to say.

"Uh, why would someone even make a promise if they will not stand by it until the end? Why will they make a promise if they have the plan of breaking it in the first place? It does not make sense because promises should be a declaration that one will do a particular thing until the end. It's a commitment, and for me, it's sacred"

"Exactly the point."

"Why did you suddenly ask that, anyway?"

"I don't know... I just feel like when I want to make a promise to someone, it's so heavy because it should have a corresponding action, or else, it's just a plain statement"

"Yeah, that's what a promise should be. I mean, for me, because we're making a promise to do or not to a certain thing, right?"

"That's right. And I promise to love you always, Chaeyoung"

It's actually the first time Mina made a promise straight from the heart and she deeply hopes that she can stand by that promise until the end because she's surely in love with Chaeyoung, and she cannot seem to see another person with her in the future, but her only.

-----

Warm night breeze and twinkling stars.

Everything feels so right as Mina rests her head on Chaeyoung's shoulder and their hands are interlocked with each other. It's a wonderful night.

"Have you tried imagining the future already?"

The random question made Chaeyoung chuckle and Mina instantly knew that the question was indeed sudden, but she wants an answer.

"Just answer it. I no longer know what we should talk about, that's why."

"I'm appreciating the comforting silence, though"

Chaeyoung can feel the sad smile that formed in Mina's smile, it made her squeeze the latter's hands.

"Just kidding. Hmm... I probably imagine my future with you most of the times, why?"

The casual answer made Mina blush and Chaeyoung just knows it immediately made her smile.

"Honestly, same here. It's just so... nice to imagine it, right?"

"Yeah, right. I mean... it feels like I'm reassuring myself that we're still together, even after how many decades will pass before us."

"Exactly the point. It guarantees me that you're still staying by my side as time passes by."

Moment of silence.

Mina closed her eyes for a while as she feels the night breeze and the warmth of her favorite person beside her. She loves everything about it.

"Chaeyoung, you're not going to leave me, right?"

The tone in Mina's voice is sad and painful rather than asking for affirmation. It somehow breaks Chaeyoung's heart, even if she's a hundred and one percent sure that she will never, ever leave the girl beside her.

"I don't have any plans on leaving you, Mina. It's a promise."

There's heaviness in Chaeyoung's voice that the both of them noticed. It suddenly made their hearts cold, like the sudden wind that went into their directions that gives a shiver to their skin.

It feels like they don't want to continue the conversation anymore because it seem like they certainly know where it will go.

-----

A wonderful wide place and charming flowers.

Everyone is excited as they gather in the beautiful church and waits for the bride to arrive.

Twenty minutes after they take some personal photos they will probably upload in their respective social media accounts, the wedding organizer has told the entourage to go to their places already as the bride finally arrived.

Once the choir started singing and the pianist started playing the piano, they slowly started walking in front to their respective seats.

The huge entrance door eventually opened and everyone was welcomed with the gorgeous bride wearing her white gown and holding a flower in her hand.

Mina took a deep breath and smiled. The moment she saw everyone smiling at her, and some are waving, and feels so happy for her, she started walking going to the altar.

Right after she started walking forward, she then gave her whole focus in front and nothing else, no one else.

She then saw her at the end of the altar wearing a black suit, she looks stunning as ever, despite not wearing a gown same as hers because she insisted on just wearing the dashing black suit that she proclaims looks good on her. It made her giggle.

As she goes nearer the altar and still see her wearing a black suit, it gives a tug in her heart, knowing that something was different.

She tries to pinch herself, feel herself by slightly tapping her arms and bury her nails in the flower in her hand, so she can acknowledge if she's indeed not dreaming.

She closes her eyes, feeling the moment, feeling the beautiful melody, feeling the happiness and love she should feel.

She opened her eyes and all at once, she checked who is the person waiting for her at the end of the altar.

"Evanescence"

It is the event of fading and gradually vanishing from sight. Mina suddenly thought of that word and at that moment, she feels like she's in just such an incredible dream she doesn't want to wake up from.

She took a deep breathe, and then suddenly, everything faded away.

The person who is currently waiting for her at the altar is still wearing a black suit, but the person she saw a while ago wearing it is now the person wearing a white gown similar to the entourage, and she can recognize her very well.

It's her best friend. It's her bridesmaid. It's Chaeyoung.

Tears suddenly fell from her eyes as the chorus of the song arrived and she already reached past half of the red carpet she is currently walking in.

Some might think that she's shedding a tear because she's happy with that so called special day, but the truth is, she suddenly felt sad, and regretted everything because she's marrying someone she's truly not in love with, someone whom she doesn't want to spend the rest of her life with.

As she reaches the end of the altar and her tears still falls nonstop, Chaeyoung reached out to her first, hold her hand, squeezed it and smiled at her. Mina thinks it's a sad one, she can just feel it.

"Congratulations on your wedding, Mina. I'm happy for you."

Chaeyoung's eyes tells otherwise. And they both know that they don't have any choice anymore because right after she said those words, the guy beside her reached out for Mina's hands and smiles genuinely at her.

"Let's go, love?"

Mina just nodded as Chaeyoung slowly gives Mina's hands to her soon-to-be husband wearing a black suit.

She wants to wake up from that dream and get back to reality where Chaeyoung and her ended up with each other, but the sad thing is, she's already living in a reality where she's marrying someone that wears a black suit that is not Chaeyoung.