In the night

In the night

Byulyi loved her job. She had worked hard to get where she was and even if she would never be 100% satisfied with her work and herself, she loved doing what she did.

She loved the fans and how loud and enthusiastically they cheered for her and the girls. She loved hearing how much people were affected by her art and, most of all, she loved making music in itself. But even if she would never change a thing in her life, that didn't mean that there weren't downsides and things she wouldn't prefer to avoid.

The thing is that when you live your life in the public eye, people will always feel entitled to judge you and criticize you. Especially when you don't fit in what they consider the standard. And if there was one thing Moonbyul always aspired to do is to break those standards and push boundaries.
So of course she had to deal with her fair share of criticism and harsh words. And even if she tried to not give them importance, she would be lying if she said they never got to her.

So here she was. Laying awake at 4 am. Her head full of thoughts. Trying in vain to shut her brain off and finally get some sleep.


She opened her eyes once again and sighed before reaching for her phone for the countless time.
She was tired but even though her body begged her to sleep, her mind kept going.
Byul looked at her screen for a moment before opening the chat.

She knew that the other woman was most probably asleep and wouldn't answer until late morning or even the afternoon, but she still felt the need to try.

"Can't sleep"

Byul waited for a couple of seconds, looking at the screen with little hope, before locking her phone and closing her eyes with a whine.

When her phone chimed a few seconds later, Byul immediately looked at the screen in surprise.

"You are lucky we are on a break and we don't have a schedule tomorrow."

The rapper smiled at the response and then replied to the other woman.


"You know I would have been amazing even with no sleep yeba. I am that good"

"So annoying..."

"Byul-ah what's wrong ?"

Moonbyul scoffed at the direct question. Of course Yongsun would not let her avoid the problem. She knew her to well to ignore her poor attempt at a distraction.


"It's stupid. I know it is. But my brain seems to not care about it.." she let out a sigh before going back to typing."I was reading some comments and I just... I know those people don't deserve any attention but if they think like that there must be a reason..."

"Yah Moon Byul Yi. Are you saying that those losers are right? They know nothing about you. Don't let them convince you that you are any less than you actually are"

"And what am I?"

"Yah... You are really annoying.
Annoying and insufferable. But you are also the warmest person I know. You care about the people around you so much and you are always ready to give and give without asking anything in return. You are an artist, a performer and also a beautiful woman and many people love you because of that.
So don't start with this believing those losers bull okay? Or I will have to beat some sense into you tomorrow"

Moonbyul smiled softly, tearing up because of the sincere words she knew Yongsun meant with all her heart.
She exhaled and closed her eyes for a moment, before the notification of her phone made her look at the screen once again.

"Did you fall asleep?"

"No unnie. Still with you..."

"Do you think that you will be able to fall asleep now?"

"Maybe... Unnie's words healed my bleeding heart"

"... I am going back to sleep bye"

"Come on ddunie! I know you like my greasy lines"

"No. I hate them."

"Liar. You love them"

"No... I love you"

Byul stopped for a moment, cherishing Yongsun words even if they were just characters on a screen. It wasn't the first time she said those words to her but every single one of those times felt like the first to her. For Byul, Yongsun's love was a gift she never took for granted.

"I love you too, ddunie"

"Go to sleep Byul-ah. Maybe tomorrow we can finally take Janggu and Yongkeey on a walk together and film a vlog."

"Okay... I will try. For janggu... Good night, Yong"

"Good night, Byul"

After the last text, Moonbyul turned her phone off and left it on her night stand. She turned around in her bed until she reached a comfortable position and she closed her eyes, focusing on the lingering warmth left by her conversation with Yongsun. At 4.30 am Byul fell asleep. A smile still visible on her finally relaxed face.

Moonbyul loved her job and most of the things that came with it. Like the love and admiration of the fans or the appreciation and respect from other artists. Her career had downsides as well but no matter what, Byul knew she will always be grateful for all the things that came from it. One of them, the most important, was finding her anchor. The person always ready to catch her when she felt like falling. Her soulmate. Kim Yongsun.