two

Joseon Kisaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyeon changed her hanbok as fast as she could and pull up the jang-ot* to cover her head. She exited the kisaeng house by the back door. As she was walking, she heard footsteps behind her. She stopped walking.

“What is it?”

“Ma-nim wants me to follow you.”

“You don’t have to. I am going to the market. That’s all.”

“I cannot lie to Ma-nim.”

“You don’t have to. Tell the truth.” Sooyeon said as her back was still facing the man in black.

“Sooyeon-ah…” the man called.

“I have to go now.” Sooyeon walked again.

The man didn’t follow Sooyeon. He looked around and went back to guard the back door of the kisaeng house.

//

The water house was dark, but Yul knows that Sooyeon is already inside. He entered the hut and close the door.

“Are you here?” he asked anyway.

“Ma-nim is suspecting me.” Sooyeon said from behind the stack of hay.

The stacks of hay acted as a barrier between them.

“What made you think of that?”

“One of the guards at the Kisaeng House said Ma-nim asked him to follow me.”

“Did he follow you?”

“He did not.”

Yul looked around the dark hut before appearing in front of Sooyeon. He handed her a letter. Sooyeon took the letter and kept it in her sleeve.

“The rebellion is going to happen anytime soon. When that happens, I want you to hide away. Go far away from the city. The rebels won’t stop at anyone.”

“How about you?”

“I’m going to join the palace. The royals will all hide in the palace. That is one place they can’t infiltrate.”

“But what if-“

“Don’t worry. What you must do now, is to make sure yourself is safe. Understand?” Yul stared at Sooyeon as the woman is staring at him too.

“Can I warn the others?”

“That will rise a suspicion. We do not know who is who. There may be spies at the Kisaeng House.”

“…”

“Anyone can be a spy, Sooyeon.” Yul added.

“I understand.”

“Pack your things. Make sure to travel light.”

Sooyeon nodded.

“I will try to send the dove to you if I hear anything.”

“Dove?”

“I am leaving Gangwon.”

“But earlier you said you are going to hide in the palace?”

“In my palace back in Gyeonggi.”

“Then…you are leaving now?”

Yul bit his lips and nodded. Sooyeon nodded too.

“I bring you along if I can, Sooyeon.”

“You can’t.”

“I cannot now but I will later when I can. I promise you. Just make sure you are safe and sound for me. I’m coming back when it is peace again.”

Sooyeon nodded.

“The tiger will always look for the fire.” Yul uttered with a soft smile.

Sooyeon wiped her own tears away. “The fire will forever flame out for the tiger.” Sooyeon replied.

Yul smiled and left the hut. Sooyeon sat down at the bench in the hut and let her tears flow down. Kwon Yul is a son of a royal family of King Taejeong. His parents are the king’s cousins. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter