Heavensent

Heavensent - 2kim
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Same old routine, but a different day.

 

Chaewon wakes up during the night; it had always been like this. At exactly 7PM she wakes up and immediately gets out of her bed to prepare something to eat. Being a celestial being doesn’t exactly mean that she doesn’t starve too, and besides, she’s basically walking here on earth. She always prepares herself a light dinner.

 

Chaewon liked to play along. Being the child who was punished to rule Hell, it gets lonely down there most of the time. So, she would fly up the ground to play with these insufferable humans. It was cruel, really; these creatures were so easily attached to their own kind. Showing them the slightest affection would faze them. It has been a while now since Chaewon flew back home - down in the depths of Hell.

 

Of course, being the queen of Hell she still had some responsibilities, so she assigned her sister Hyewon to take over for the meantime. She has grown accustomed to a new timeline on earth. The people were fascinating for they were so vulnerable especially when it involves romance, , and money.

 

Chaewon always wondered why, but then again; she was here to have fun. Not to stress herself out because of the way these humans lived.

 

After eating her light dinner and washing the dishes, she heads to her wardrobe and looks for a dress that would match her mood for the night. She picks a tight, black dress that shows off her curves. Chaewon heads to her mirror and is beyond satisfied on how she looks - she’s gorgeous and she knows it.

 

She then heads to a club called “Lux.” It’s where she usually goes at night, sitting at her usual table, with her usual drink, with a view of the people around her. She loved watching these pathetic humans get drunk and make fools out of themselves.

 

“You know,” the woman who suddenly came up to her earlier said groggily while trying to get a sip from her glass. “I have never met someone so kind like you.”

 

Chaewon snorted. “Thank you…?” She wasn’t supposed to be kind. In fact, she was the opposite of it. She threw quite the rebellion against her father.

 

Suddenly remembering her fall from Heaven, made her smile for a bit. She was the daughter of the dawn, was casted below the earth for she reached too far up for the stars. She admits that she sinned against Him, but she never had any regrets. In fact, if she did, why would she be out here mingling with His creations?

 

The woman was about to speak once again, but then time slowed down, Chaewon could only roll her eyes. “Really, Wonyoung? Don’t you get tired of flying down here to come get me? You know I’m not coming with you.”

 

“...I’m Kim Minju.”

 

Chaewon blinked. It was a different voice this time, and dear God did it sound so angelic. Literally. “Wonyo got tired, huh?”

 

“Your Dad sent me.”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter,” Chaewon turned around, seeing an angel she hasn’t seen before. She thinks she entered Heaven not long ago and her Dad has given her a task. How cruel and manipulative. “Especially not you.”

 

Wonyoung tried. Countless times, she flew on earth just to fetch her sister. Wanting her to come back, but all Chaewon could say is “He condemned me.” And the angel would simply reply, “You sinned against Him. Your own Father.” She grew tired of it, so, whenever Wonyoung came, she would already greet her with “I’m not coming home with you,” to cut to the chase.

 

The angel pouted making Chaewon roll her eyes for the nth time today. “I’m not your babysitter and this is my task. So, I’m stuck here with you whether you like it or not.”

 

The devil huffed. “I have no other choice but to ignore you then.”

 

“Before you ignore me, please teach me how to get rid of these wings.”

 

Chaewon lets out a groan, she was frustrated enough with the woman she was dealing with earlier, and now this angel shows up. She simply shows her how, and the angel follows. “Okay, now that your wings are taken care of, wear decent clothes! Not the ones you’re wearing now, but it’ll do for now. Also, can you angels stop slowing down time? We’re in LA, nobody likes to take it slow. Okay, done, can I ignore you now?”

 

Minju did as told and took a mental note about the clothes. She just hopes Chaewon has something for her when they return to wherever she’s staying. “Yes, you won’t even realize that I’m here.”

 

With that, Minju sets the time back to normal, taking a few seats away from Chaewon and simply watches from afar. Deciding to order a mocktail for herself so that when Chaewon does something stupid, she’s sober.

 

It’s not like Minju didn’t trust the little devil. She knows Chaewon is far smarter than she is, so she’s not one to underestimate her. But with the task she’s given, she’s not even allowed to leave her side even for a moment. Her Father really gave a bad impression on her own daughter, but Minju will believe it when she sees it.

 

She eyes Chaewon speaking with the woman before she slowed the time down. It was evident that Chaewon was extremely uninterested - frustrated even, but she would reply from time to time.

 

Minju never got it, even after Wonyoung and Chaeyeon explained it to her. Never knew why Chaewon did all of this. Left Hell to toy with these humans, and eventually, she found a house here and stayed. She left her demons unattended and God knows how chaotic they would be. She hopes Chaewon had the responsibility to leave someone in charge. But then again, Heaven was a completely different place. Up there, you were with people who were decent and would talk to you from time to time. Down there, however, was torture. It wasn’t exactly flaming hot, but you could feel the despair because of its cold atmosphere. It felt like you were trapped there forever with the guilt of whatever sin you didn’t make up for.

 

So maybe, this was her tiny escape.

 

“Okay, I’m bored,” Chaewon yawned. “Let’s go back to my place.”

 

“Are we going to fly there?”

 

“No,” Chaewon held up her keys and walked to the direction of the parking lot. “We’ll take my car.”

 

Minju followed. Keeping her eyes on the devil. “Aren’t cars expensive?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“How did you buy one?”

 

“I’m rich.”

 

“How did you get the money?”

 

“Are you going to keep asking questions or are you getting in the car?”

 

Minju nodded and opened the door, taking a seat. “So?”

 

“So what?” Chaewon started the engine.

 

“You didn’t answer my question.”

 

“You sure do ask a lot,” Chaewon rolled her eyes. “I have been here on earth for thousands of years now. You think I wasn’t friends with the Egyptian goldsmiths?”

 

Minju shrugged. “You still have a lot?”

 

“Yeah. A whole safe of ‘em,” Chaewon took a turn and went through a McDonald’s drive-thru. “You want anything?”

 

“Nuggets and a chocolate sundae,” Minju blushed. She has the same appetite as a kid. “Ask them to put extra hot fudge… please.”

 

Chaewon chuckled at the girl’s sudden shyness. She’s better than Wonyoung, though. Her angel sister has done nothing but scold her and ask her to come back to Silver City with her. Chaewon didn’t belong there. She stayed below the depths of Hell where it's cold, lonely, and all the pain and suffering of the people were heard all night, and she preferred going back there than in Silver City. Why should she obey?

 

“Why did my Dad send you here?” Chaewon asked, taking a sip from her iced coffee. “No offense, why you and not Wonyoung?”

 

“I don’t know,” Minju chewed on a nugget. “He told me you never listen to Wonyoung.”

 

“Well, she’s younger than me and I refuse to take orders from her, but what makes Him think that I’ll listen to you?” Chaewon retorted, while Minju simply shrugged.

 

Truth be told, Chaewon loved her sister dearly, but she was too obedient. Making their Father praise her for every mission she accomplished, making their Father become too full of Himself. Chaewon always saw her father as someone who’s manipulative. People worshipped Him because everyone wanted a piece of Heaven, but it’s not like that. If you want to go there, might as well do good deeds. But people are flawed. All of them make their own mistakes; they should just enjoy their lives instead of impressing someone who will never be impressed – Chaewon failed at that.

 

“...Chaewon?” Minju tapped her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

 

“What’s up with all these questions, Minju?” Chaewon wasn’t irritated. In fact, she missed speaking with someone other than a mere mortal. “Yes, I am.”

 

“You don’t seem like it,” the angel looked at her side of the window. “You should show me around tomorrow.”

 

“Why tomorrow?” Chaewon asked. “I sleep depending on my mood, unless you’re tired? I don’t recall angels getting tired.”

 

“I just like it when it’s sunny and I love the blue sky,” Minju replied. “But we can go now if you’d prefer that.”

 

“I’ll show you around, all right,” Chaewon rolled all of the windows down and turned off the car’s air-conditioning. “You need to learn how to appreciate the majestic night sky too.”

 

“I mean, the blue sky’s great too, but people never really get to appreciate the beauty in the darkness,” Chaewon continued.

 

“Are you indirecting yourself?” Minju asked, making Chaewon confused. “Never mind. Where are you taking me?”

 

“Around the city, I guess,” Chaewon fished a cigarette out of her pocket. “I just recently moved here in LA, before, I lived in Korea.”

 

Chaewon never took a look around. She always went to the same nightclub, mingled with the same people, went home to an empty apartment, took a bath, watched television, cooked food for herself, and repeated every single thing – she’d be lucky if Wonyoung would pay her a visit. It had always been the same old but a different day. Despite that, she’d rather live in this land instead of going back to that hellhole. She never got why her Father wanted her to come back when all He did was push her away. She never even caused any harm to these humans that her Father loved so much, she never caused any chaos, not even a single drop of blood from them. So, she couldn’t understand why He’d send a different angel other than Wonyoung– He’s never even sent Yuri or Chaeyeon to get her.

 

“Minju, why are you really here?” Chaewon spared her a glance and put her eyes back on the road. “I feel like there’s more to why you’re here. I feel like it’s not just about me going back to Silver City.”

 

“I think I’m not allowed to say,” Minju felt sorry for her. She deserved to know the reason why. “I might break your Father’s mission for me to fulfill.”

 

“What’s up with that?” Chaewon started to become irritated. “It’s always about my Father this, my Father that. How am I supposed to know what He’s ing up to!?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Minju looked at her feet. She didn’t know what to say. “Should I just fly back home?”

 

“No,” Chaewon said firmly. “Stay for a while.”

 

“Okay.” the angel placed her hand on hers which surprised the devil, but chose not to react to it..

 

Chaewon didn’t want to think about it. She didn’t want to think about how her Dad always meddled with her life. Condemning her, now this? It feels wrong to feel a bit of admiration towards this angel of His. It’s like she’s falling into some trap, but she prefers to not talk about it instead.

 

“Would you really stay for a while, Minju?”

 

“Yeah. Why wouldn’t I?”

 

“Because I’m evil incarnate.”

 

“So what? You haven’t burned down LA, so I guess I’m in safe hands,” Minju said, confidently.

 

Chaewon didn’t budge. “You don’t even know me.”

 

“Then I’ll get to know you, duh,” Minju chuckles. “Make up your mind. Do you want me here or not?”

 

Chaewon shrugs and focuses her eyes on the road. Letting the question float in the air. Minju sighs and looks at the window. She opens to say something, but hesitates a bit. Chaewon glances at her for a split second as if telling the other celestial to say it.


 

“You know, I haven’t been able to do a lot of things before I…” Minju trails off.


 

“Before you died?” Chaewon finishes the sentence, while the angel nods. “Yeah, what do you want to do then?”


 

“It’s weird,” Minju says. “If I say it, will you even do it?”


 

“I don’t know that’s why you need to spit it out, Kim,” she rolls her eyes.


 

“Well, I always wanted to go on a date with someone, anyone,” Minju blushes as she finally says it out loud.


 

“That’s it?” Minju nods in response. “Anyone? Even with the queen of Hell?”


 

“I mean, yeah, if you’re willing to do it.”


 

“We’ve got all the time in our hands, angel,” Chaewon smirks. “Tell me, what do you desire to do?”


 

“It’s really cheesy,” Minju says shyly, burying her face in her hands. “I have a list of ideal dates that I want to do.”


 

“Look, angel, I’m the devil, I’m not a mind reader so ing tell me what you want to do, and let’s do it!” the devil laughs, making Minju laugh too.


 

“Since it’s night time, can we go stargazing?” the angel asks nervously. She somehow expects the devil to disagree because she knows that Chaewon has a reputation. She can’t be that smitten towards Minjoo, she can’t allow herself to let down her walls.


 

“Okay, I know the place,” Chaewon says and takes a left.


 

Oh?


 

Minjoo didn’t expect the devil to agree that easily. She thought that Chaewon would make fun of her first before agreeing, but it seems like she also knows a place where you could see the moon and the stars. The angel was excited to say the least.


 

Back when she was alive, she didn’t really have much freedom. Minju’s parents were very much strict even though she was nineteen years old, responsible enough for her actions, a straight A student, and she didn’t have any enemies… Or so she thought.


 

Their car comes to a stop, and Chaewon stops the engine. “C’mon, you’ll love it here.”


 

Minju gets out of the car and she was mesmerized by the beauty that surrounded her.

 

The pair was on top of a cliff that had a beautiful view of LA and its city lights. Other than that, looking up, you would see how magical the night sky is. Chaewon was right, the night holds a lot of mystery, yet when you dig deeper and try to explore it even more, you’d see how majestic it is, because of this, Minju might even change her mind about loving the morning blue sky.

 

Chaewon had laid down on the soft grass already, while Minju was still standing up, admiring the city lights of LA. “Lay down with me.”

 

Minju obliges and sees how alluring the night sky is. The stars were shining so brightly while the moon was in its best form. “You’re right, the night holds a lot of beauty.”

 

“I told you,” she chuckles. “Since you’ve been asking me a lot of questions, it’s my turn now, what was the cause of your death?”

 

“I hit my head too hard,” Minju answers simply, while Chaewon raises her eyebrow, urging her to continue. “I was too busy wanting good grades that I didn’t get enough sleep, and one day, my friends and I were messing with each other, we didn’t realize that we were near the stairs. One of them pushed me, and because I lacked sleep, I just fell. Next thing I knew, I saw the light.”

 

Chaewon hums, and they fall into a comfortable silence just admiring the stars. The wind kisses their skin gently and Minju feels alive, even though she wasn’t anymore. “What do you want to do next?”

 

“Can we go back to your place?”


 

-


 

After stargazing, the car ride back home was somehow lighter than the first time. Chaewon wasn’t grumpy anymore and was more engaged in conversing with Minju. The angel felt satisfied knowing that it was a bit easy getting close to the devil.

 

She thought that she’d have to handle Chaewon’s anger issues, or that she’d be hostile, but no. It surprised her to say the least that the devil liked her company. Thinking of the mission God gave her made her somehow guilty, because she genuinely enjoyed the first few hours she had with the devil, and the fact that Chaewon grants whatever cheesy request she asked for.

 

Right now, they were back at her penthouse, and Minju must say she is starting to love the city lights of LA. They were so pretty at night.

 

The devil is currently cooking them dinner. It was a fancy midnight snack, since it was past twelve already, and Chaewon’s kitchen was filled with an amazing scent of sizzling meat, with garlic, butter, and rosemary - steak just like how Minju likes it.

 

“This is the funniest request you’ve asked for,” Chaewon chuckles.

 

“You cooking steak for me?” Minju asks for clarification.

 

The devil shakes her head. “That after we eat this fancy midnight snack, we’d snuggle up near my fireplace as we read your favorite book.”

 

“What do you mean, funny?” Minju pouts. “It’s romantic!”

 

“I suppose it is,” Chaewon sets two plates filled with steak on the table and goes back to the kitchen to return with a bottle of wine. “Come, eat.”


 

-


 

After Minju washed the dishes, she went to where Chaewon is - by the fireplace, already has Minju’s favorite book in hand, a couple of pillows surrounding them and a blanket.

 

“Do you want me to get hot chocolate too before we start?” Chaewon asks which made Minju’s heart leap.

 

“How about wine instead?” Minju replies, hoping that her voice wasn’t shaky. Chaewon nods and gets up to get her request.

 

The angel sits down in front of the fireplace, and wonders - what will happen if the mission will push through? In a sense, she was confused herself on why she had to do this. Chaewon was the devil, however, she hasn’t caused harm into any of these humans, so why did she have to return? Let alone return to Silver City which was odd.

 

Minju also wonders what would happen if she didn’t fulfill the mission. Would she get thrown down into Hell? Would God reincarnate her into a rock? There were a lot of questions and decisions to be made. She was unsure what she would do, a part of her wanted to obey God because she was His angel after all, but at the same time, this other part of her wanted to spend more time with the devil.

 

It had only been a few hours with her, but Minju feels like she’s known her since forever. Well, she did study the Bible when she was still alive, but somehow, she feels that Chaewon has been nothing but transparent towards her. She didn’t think that the devil was lying to her when she asked a lot of questions.

 

Everything was still new to Minju, she didn’t know how the celestial universe worked, but she was slowly understanding it because of Chaewon.

 

Chaewon got back from the kitchen with two glasses and a bottle of freshly opened wine. She sat down next to Minju and gave the glass to her, which she poured wine into right after. “Be careful of spilling wine onto my carpet. This is an Italian cotton fabric which my friend made for me.”

 

“I’ll try not to spill wine on it then,” Minju jokes which earned her an eye roll from the devil.

 

They both settle down in front of the fireplace and Chaewon initiates the cuddle. Minju felt warm all over. She smelled like roses which surprised her once again. Minju melts into Chaewon’s touch and she wishes to stay in her arms forever.

 

“Chaewon?” Minju calls out for her and the devil simply hums in response. “Did you lie to any of the questions I asked you?”

 

“You’d be surprised, but I promised myself that the one thing I would never do is lie,” Chaewon answers and plays with Minju’s hair. “I don’t know, but I don’t think I could ever lie to you.”

 

Minju smiles and holds Chaewon closer.


 

-


 

Minju didn’t realize that she dozed off, she woke up in Chaewon’s arms. The devil smiles fondly at her and pats her head once she sees the angel’s eyes open. “You sure are a sleepy celestial.”

 

“Did you not sleep at all?” Minju asks and the devil shakes her head. “Are you nocturnal then?”

 

“No, it depends on my mood,” Chaewon simply says, but in all honesty, she doesn’t sleep when she is distracted by something, however, this something is someone rather and she was admiring the angel all night.

 

It has only been a day, get a ing grip, Kim Chaewon.

 

“Also, it’s raining outside. Let’s go.” Chaewon continues as she gets up from the bed.

 

“What?”

 

“Let’s go outside,” the devil repeats. “Play in the rain.”

 

Minju smiles and gets up when the devil does.

 

When Minju was a kid, she loved playing in the rain alone, even when she was in high school, she did it from time to time. The rain reminded her of the good old days when she didn’t have so many responsibilities on her plate. It reminded her how it felt when the pressure of the world wasn’t on her shoulders.

 

After playing in the rain, she would usually get sick, and that didn’t stop her because it reminded her that she was still a human who was vulnerable and was allowed to feel what she felt. When she stepped foot on high school, her parents pressured her to become an honor student. They pressured her into joining a lot of organizations because it would “gain her extra points” for university.

 

So, whenever it rained on her way home, she wouldn’t take out her umbrella, she would walk, run, jump, and skip through it. She loved how she felt so light that she could fly whenever the rain kissed her skin.

 

“Do you like the rain?” Chaewon asks as they step outside.

 

The angel nods excitedly and holds her hand. “I do, so c’mon!”

 

The two of them laugh as they both run forward. As the droplets touch their skin, they both shiver, although no matter how cold it was, it felt… freeing

 

On the other hand, Chaewon loved the rain because somehow it meant that the angels were crying. When there was thunder and lightning, it meant that her Father was furious. What more would Chaewon want than her Father feeling negative emotions? It made her satisfied.

 

Chaewon closed her eyes and let the rain fall on her face. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes to see Minju doing the same. She snickers and decides to have fun with the angel for a bit, so she pushes her lightly.

 

“Hey!” Minju pouts and tries to get a hold of the devil. “Push me, and I’ll push you harder!”

 

“Try me,” the devil smirks and runs away. Minju chasing after her.

 

This was something that Minju didn’t expect. She was so used to playing in the rain alone, but now she was playing with the devil herself. She tries to get a hold of Chaewon, but fails miserably for the devil was too quick on her feet.

 

Minju stops for a moment to catch her breath and Chaewon pounces on her making them both fall on the wet ground.

 

Chaewon was on top of the angel, and the two of them laugh because of how childish they are acting right now “Couldn’t catch me?”

 

“I was about to! I needed some time to breathe then you literally jumped on me,” Minju rolls her eyes playfully and laughs. “You devil.”

 

“That’s me,” she laughs and gets off her, deciding to lay down beside her. “This was fun.”

 

Minju looks at Chaewon to see her smiling, so she smiles too. The devil suddenly gets up and holds out her hand. “Dance with me.”

 

“I don’t dance,” she replies, but proceeds to get up, grabbing Chaewon’s hand. “Bear with me, then.”

 

The devil laughs, already holding her hand, so she places her left hand on the angel’s waist. “I’ll teach you.”

 

“There’s no music.”

 

“I’ll sing a song,” Chaewon smiles and sways her body slowly. It was no prom night, but the devil slow danced with her. “It’s okay if you waltz with two left feet.”

 

Minju grunts and pouts while Chaewon laughs. “Follow my lead.”

 

It was perfect. Minju never got to go to prom because the money that was supposed to be for her perfect night went to her mom’s surgery. Of course, being a good daughter, she understood. What’s a night filled with dancing with her classmates if her mother wouldn’t be able to stay around for a long time? But I was the one who didn’t get to stay for a long time.

 

Minju snaps out of it when Chaewon starts singing.


 

O lady

Do you know how I fell for you?

My heart suddenly felt it

My love, you’re the who made me feel

So tell me

What runs through your mind?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter