Lie

What Would You Do?

The solemn music sounded throughout the walls of the private room in the restaurant. Greetings and small chats were a common sight as they asked questions of how have you been. 6 years and they're still the same, just older, bold and mature. Unlike the others, she sat quietly at the corner, observing them as what she usually does when they were still young and worried about getting an F on their cards. But as her eyes travel some more, there was one person she couldn't see. That person who she couldn't forget after all those years. She wondered where was this person now? As if on cue, she saw her walking around the room, searching for something someone. Their eyes made contact and the next thing they knew they were sitting beside each other. Not knowing how to start the conversation as it was very awkward, they could only avoid each other's eyes.

"Ummm, so hey? Are you still the best at what you do?"

Chuckling lightly, she finally have the courage to look at her. Those dark brown orbs never failed to make her breath hitch.

"Well, if being the head of a research for our country counts. Then, I guess I am."

She laughed a bit, turning her body towards her as she put her chin on her hand.

"6 years and you're still cocky."

"I only learn from the expert, dare I say my ex-rival, Eunbi?"

Eunbi rolled her eyes playfully at the statement.

"You still can't forget about that, Ms. Yewon?"

Yewon scoffed at how Eunbi sounded surprised by her statement.

"How could I? All you do is tease me and tell me I'm not exerting effort on what I do."

"But I was only telling the truth?? Besides I did teach you the hard way in this cruel world."

Yewon kept quiet, loving how she teases Eunbi with her silence.

"Oh, come on. Give me some credit, will you?"

Eunbi playfully sulked as Yewon was having a hard time stifling a laugh. Couldn't control their own cheekiness, they burst out laughing catching the attention of their past classmates who looked at them with a smile, except for one.

"Who might these two be? Oh, the infamous rivals of our batch. Ms. Number One and Number Two, it's good seeing you two not bickering about what not."

The atmosphere turned cold, making the people around them shiver as they watch the scene unfold. Yewon noticed how Eunbi's gaze was hooded with an expression she couldn't decipher.

"What may the two of you talking about?"

"Wow, I didn't know 6 years and you're still the same. Would you please mind your business, you old jock."

Eunbi let those words out with venom as she stared at him with undeniable anger in her eyes. She stood up from the table, turning to Yewon before leaving.

"I'll excuse myself first."

Eunbi left the room with gasps and whispers of disbelief and admiration heard on her back.



Yewon's evening turned uneventful after that unexpected encounter earlier. Right after Eunbi left, the people inside the room continued to mock and ignore the said 'jock.' Finally, it was the time for drinks and drinking games, but she wasn't near to being excited. Getting up from her seat, she excused herself and went to the restaurant's balcony area. There, she saw Eunbi sat on the corner looking at the cars passing by. If Yewon hadn't looked closely, she would have missed Eunbi.

"I thought you left after that dramatic exit of yours."

Eunbi chuckled lightly, not tearing her eyes away from the scenery.

"I couldn't. I was waiting for someone."

Eunbi turned around, her dark brown eyes staring right through her soul, captivating. Yewon felt her heart swell at the thought of Eunbi waiting for someone else. A lump was stuck on as Eunbi kept staring.

"I-actually have to tell you something."

Eunbi started, Yewon could only look away as the poison consuming her thoughts got stronger.

"If... if I told you that I loved you, what would you do?"

Loved. Yewon didn't know that the words she have been wanting to hear could hurt her this much. Past tense. She realized that she likes Eunbi way too late. She could only scoff at destiny playing tricks with her again.

"I'd be thankful, I guess? At least you loved me, even though it's in the past tense now."

Yewon paused for a second, thinking if she should confess too.

"I like you too. I realized it after graduation, and... I still do."

Yewon's eyes were starting to tear up, although she was happy she was loved by the person she was longing for years, it would be a lie if she doesn't feel the pain of the past. She took a deep breath and tried thinking that it'll get better soon.

"Yewon."

She hummed in response, not wanting to look at Eunbi because she knows for sure she's going to make a fool out of herself if she starts crying in front of her.

"You know that I lie a lot, right?"

"T-then I take it that you didn't even liked me?"

Eunbi snorted then shook her head, cupping her cheeks in the process. She wiped away the tears that had started to fall from her eyes.

"Why do you think I'd waste 6 years of waiting just to tell you that I loved you?"

Yewon was now sobbing in her hold, she's never a fan of Eunbi's confusing remarks.

"The truth is, I loved you was a lie. And... I'm just too scared to tell you that I love you. I love you still."

"Do y-you really mean it?"

"Of course! I wouldn't go through lengths just to attend this stupid reunion."

Eunbi's cheeks were dusted of a light pink as she avert her gaze from Yewon. Eunbi rest her forehead on Yewon's, still trying to calm her down.

"At first, I really disliked you because you were that new transfer coming in to take my place but as I hate you aimlessly, my heart started to beat loudly for you. I-I couldn't tell you my feelings because I thought I was only your rival. Now, I'm here to tell you that I love you. I love you a lot."