A Bottle of Tequila

A Bottle of Tequila
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, any plans tonight, Penguin?”


 

“I don’t know. Probably binge watch some American series or watch a movie, eat all the junk foods I can consume, and finally fall asleep next to Ray.”


 

“C’mon, Mina! I have a great idea. I’m sure you’ll like it.”


 

And that’s how Mina finds herself at the 24th Eclipse Club tonight. The blinking lights and blasting music surround the nine ladies as they sat on the couch and enjoyed their cocktail drinks. It was Nayeon’s idea to celebrate Mina’s birthday in a crowded club, which Mina doesn’t fancy as much. Still, the birthday girl doesn’t have the heart to say no to Nayeon’s idea, considering how Nayeon suggested it with so much enthusiasm. It wasn’t that bad at all since she’s with her friends; it’s been a while since the nine of them last gathered together.


 

She was turning 24 later at midnight, and as much as she wishes to spend this time at home alone, or maybe snuggle with her best friend, it wasn’t so bad to see her other friends. 


 

Nayeon is already drunk with Jeongyeon and Jihyo trying to hold her back from stealing the DJ’s mic. Sana, removing the significance of personal space in Dahyun’s vocabulary, made the latter turn beet red. Momo is having a dance battle at the center; Tzuyu is still being so quiet but teases Dahyun from time to time. 

 

While Chaeyoung...


 

Where is she? 


 

Mina looked around to find the certain blonde girl; it was more complicated than she thought, considering the cub’s tiny figure until she saw her talking to someone probably with the same height as hers. Short, blonde hair, too, with skin white as snow. She can only describe this girl as pretty. They were rather enjoying their conversation as Mina continued to observe, the whispering and the way their eyes shine never going unnoticed by her.


 

Is the proximity THAT necessary? 


 

She huffed in frustration as she was starting to feel things. This wasn’t how her night was supposed to go. She should be having fun. Why is she affected just because her best friend is flirting, or worse, trying to find a one-night-thing with someone? Then where does that leave her? She’s just her best friend, after all, and best friends should support each other, even if it ends the other with nothing but unrequited and unsaid feelings that will leave them no choice but to bury it somewhere deep down in their heart- 

 

Wait, what? 


 

This is supposed to be her night, her birthday. 


 

It’s the day when God decided that Mama Myoui will give birth to such a beautiful, amazing and elegant lady named Mina Sharon Myoui. 


 

Right?


 

Mina shut her eyes for a few seconds and heaved a heavy sigh before turning her attention back to everyone else, trying not to think about a certain tiger.       


 

Chaeyoung be damned. 


 

Her friends are already wasted, so Mina was careful not to get a strong alcoholic beverage tonight. No one will help them home but her since her partner-in-crime has been pouring all her attention to someone else. 


 

God, what the is wrong with me? Okay, maybe I should not drink more because putting the word god and in the same sentence doesn’t sound pleasant at all. 


 

She was deep in her thoughts, trying to focus on her drink as she mindlessly let her eyes wander towards few people in the club. Guys and girls playing around and enjoying the night’s event, and here she is, thinking why can’t she do the same?  


 

A few minutes came by when a familiar man approached her, asking, “Mina? Myoui Mina?”


 

Mina squinted her eyes, struggling to recognize the man in front of her because of the blinking lights. 


 

“It is you!” He shouted excitedly, setting aside his drink to give his good old friend a hug, which surprised Mina but not in a wrong way since he did it so very gently. A little too gentle. The man pulled away as he gave the birthday girl a soft smile, and Mina quickly realized who it was, “Oh my god, it can’t be! Christopher Bang?!”


 

Mina suddenly jumped to give the guy a gleeful hug, “one and only!” Chan exclaimed as he hugged back and lifted the birthday girl slightly.


 

“Did Momo and Sana already see you?” Mina asked as she pulled away, smiling from ear to ear. It has been years since they last saw their Channie. 


 

The truth is, Bang Chan has always been Momo, Sana, and Mina’s baby brother. Growing up in a foreign country without a companion, the three Japanese girls decided to adopt him as their little brother because they couldn’t imagine the struggle the young man was facing, being alone in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar faces. They felt lucky because they had each other.


 

“Not yet, Noona. Where are they anyway?” Chan asked. Mina quickly looked back at the two other women’s locations and spotted them quickly, “You know how they are when they consume alcohol, Channie.” Mina explained to the younger, causing him to laugh as he remembered their good days.


 

“Of course, the same ol’ Dancing MOchine and SANAke. Never gets old.” The two shared a couple of minutes catching up with lots of stories and reminiscing some of their memories together. 


 

“Anyway, Noona, I have to go, my friends are--” suddenly, the lights for a moment as Nayeon successfully stole the mic and caught the whole club’s attention.


 

“Hey everyone! Tonight’s a memorable night because a very good friend of mine is celebrating her 24th birthday!” The whole club cheered, and Mina could only lower her head, hoping that Nayeon wouldn’t see her from the stage. 

 

She has never felt more embarrassed in her entire life, “Where are you, Mina-yaaaah.” 


 

God, please help drunk Nayeon.


 

“Noona! We’ve been talking for a while now, and you didn’t even mention it’s your birthday!” 


 

“Technically, it’s tomorrow. Quite rude of you not to remember. What has Aussie done to you?” Mina replied, teasing the younger while still hiding from Nayeon. “Well, Happy birthday Noona. I hope you finally find the one. You’re old.” Chan teased back, causing him to earn a well-deserved slap on his arm. The two laughed, and before Bang Chan left, they quickly exchanged numbers as Chan promised to treat the three of them to a nice meal the next time they meet. 


 

Mina went back to her seat; it was good to catch up with an old friend. It also helped her get a particular cub out of her mind for a few minutes. Mina checked the time, and it was almost 1:00 AM; the girls should be back in their spot by now.


 

“Hey, darling, Happy birthdaaaaaay!” Sana approached her and sat on her lap, swaying left and right as the older girl wrapped, the younger in a tight embrace. “Happy birthday, Unnie!” Dahyun and Tzuyu said in unison, making Mina giggle. Momo came to the view as she moonwalked her way to Mina, “Otanjobiomedeto, Minaya!” as she squeezed herself to join the two other Japanese girls hugging.


 

After a few minutes, Jihyo came up with Nayeon wrapped around her arms while Jeongyeon helped a stumbling and drunk Chaeyoung. Mina quickly stood up and walked towards them, “We want to greet you a very warm Happy birthday, but can we do that when we get home?” Jihyo suggested, struggling to keep Nayeon at ease.


 

“Why did she get so drunk?” Mina asked as she looked at Chaeyoung’s drunk face worriedly. Jeongyeon could only shrug, clueless on why the cub suddenly went on a full-on let’s-get-wasted mode tonight, “I don’t know, one minute she was talking to her cousin, and the other she was downing a whole bottle of tequila.” Jeongyeon explained.


 

Cousin??????


 

“Cousin?” Mina asked curiously.


 

“Yeah, short white blonde girl? Wendy? You do know her, right?”


 

“Wendy???? Seulgi and Irene’s friend?”


 

“Yes, Mina, you do know she’s a Son, right?” Jeongyeon answered, and before Mina could say something, Dahyun came up to them.


 

“Chaeyoung was so cool, Unnie! You should’ve seen how she bottoms up that bottle; it was lit!” Dahyun exclaimed, forming a rock and roll sign with her hands making the whole group laugh with her antics. The birthday girl shook her head as she reached for Chaeyoung’s arms, “Let me help her.”


 

----------


 

“Stop moving!” Mina scolded the younger girl as they made their way back to their shared apartment. She struggled to unlock the door with their passcode because Chaeyoung was almost passing out due to drunkenness. 


 

They have been living together for two years now. After graduating from the University, all of them decided to live in one building apartment but with different units to have easy contact. They both agreed to share a room because Mina felt the most comfortable around Chaeyoung, and Chaeyoung felt the same way about Mina. They know each other too well and respect each other’s personal space. They have a few shared similarities, like liking dogs and music, but also have huge differences. Mina has always been an indoor person, preferring to stay in, being lazy, and doing nothing, while Chaeyoung is the opposite. She likes walking around outside, discovering new places, and wanting to try adventurous things. But that didn’t hinder them with their friendship. Maybe it’s because of the same taste in music, or the love for Ray, Logan, and Nereri, or perhaps they both like how they manage their unit, or maybe they just really want to be with each other. But they aren’t going to admit that, right?


 

Mina finally plops Chaeyoung down on the sofa, “How did you manage to get heavier?!” she complained, staring down at the sleeping cub.


 

“Maybe because my heart is carrying such a heavy burden feeling.” Mina thought it was one of Chaeyoung’s dramatic acts again, watching the younger clutch her chest with whole emotion to show her unpleasant expression with her eyes still close. The birthday girl noticed how Chaeyoung frowned and started to rub her temples. She thought that maybe the alcohol was beginning to climb up to her head, causing her to have a headache. She sighed and sat down beside her, caressing her head gently to lessen the pain, “Why did you get so drunk, Chaeyoungie?”


 

Mina massaged her head for a few minutes and finally decided to get them a pair of pajamas to change in. They’re not going to sleep smelling like the club. But before she could stand up, a hand held her wrist and pulled her gently. 


 

“Stay,” Chaeyoung mumbled. 


 

“Chaeyoung, I need to get us-”


 

Chaeyoung opened her tired eyes and looked at her longingly, imploring her simple request, “Please?” 


 

How could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter