I am sorry

The red string of fate

"Haloooo." grandma said while trying to navigate the phone. 

"Grandma, can you stop shaking the phone? I get dizzy." Kang said on the other side of the video call while laughing. 

"Oh... how do I do this?" grandma struggled with getting the right angle to get herself fitted inside the camera vision. 

"Let me do it for you." Yoonjung took the phone and held it up for grandma. 

"How are you? are you eating well?" grandma asked.

"Too well, I think I gained a lot of weight."

"It's ok. Healthy is better than being skinny." Grandma replied. "OK, I need to go toilet now." she said shortly before walking away without saying goodbye. 

Yoonjung laughed. She took the phone with her inside her room.

"How was it today?" Yoonjung asked. They have been talking on the phone every day, either video call, normal phone call or even texts when either of them is busy.

"It was good. They really liked my proposal. I mean, they requested for changes to be made here and there, but overall they were very happy with my design." he said. His face looked so excited as if a child who just found out there's a toy shop nearby. 

"That's good to hear."

"What about you?" 

"I'm good. Today at work Heejin said that she wants to buy her own car, and then i said..." she paused.

"you said...?" Kang asked after waiting for a few seconds for her to complete her sentence. 

"who said what?"

"you, just now you were telling me story about Heejin."

"Oh, what about Heejin?" Yoonjung asked curiously. 

"No, you were in the middle of telling me the story, not me." Kang said with a frown, he got confused as Yoonjung asked the weird question.

"Was I?" Yoonjung scratched her cheeck with a finger, "Sorry, I don't remember. I must have been distracted by something."

"It's ok, no worries."

"It's quite late now. I should go to bed." Yoonjung said with a yawn.

"Ok. get a good rest. I love you."

"I love you."

 

-----------------------------

 

Yoonjung was walking on the sidewalk when someone patted her on the shoulder.

"Seojoon." Yoonjung was slightly startled, but quickly recovered.

"Fancy meeting you here." Seojoon said, both hands inside his jacket's pocket with a sports bag over his shoulder. "Where are you going?"

"Home." 

"Oh, where did you come from? work?"

"Just somewhere." she smiled a little. 

"What is this mystery about? did you just come back from staying over at Kang's house?" 

"Kang is in Hong Kong until next week."

"Still? I thought he was supposed to be back two weeks ago?"

"He had to stayed a bit longer." she paused and turned to Seojoon, "How did you know that?" 

"Heejin and I are best friends again." Seojoon winked,

Yoonjung rolled her eyes, "as if you were every best friends before."

"Does this mean he will have to go back and forth there a lot?" 

"It seems like it." she shrugged.

"It must be hard on you... you know, missing him and whatnot..." Seojoon said flatly. 

"Can't you at least pretend like you meant it?"

"Nope." Seojoon put his arm around her shoulder, "It is definitely better when he is not around." 

Yoonjung rolled her eyes, but she didin't shook his arm off, the way she would before. Being with Kang slowly give her more confidence about their relationship. To trust and to be trusted. Yoonjung no longer limites her relationship with Seojoon, instead she let it be as it is, good friends, nothing more, nothing less. Kang never stop seeing Arin either, but instead of doing it alone, he always meet Arin together with Yoonjung, upon Arin's request. It took her a lot of courage, but when Kang offered to introduce them, she decided she will beat that fear and make herself known to Arin as his girlfriend. To their surprise, Arin was very fond of Yoonjung and ended up contacting Yoonjung more than Kang.

"Oh..." Yoonjung fell on the floor. 

It happened so fast and so sudden that Seojoon didn't even have enough time to catch her before she fell down. 

"Are you okay?" Seojoon held her arm to slightly lift her up from her position.

"Yes." Yoonjung smiled and laughed awkwardly, "sorry, I misstepped and lost balance."

"It's ok, as long as you are fine."

"Are you hungry? shall we go to eat?" Yoonjung asked.

"Now that you mentioned it, I am famished." Seojoon rubbed his stomach. 

"Shall we eat pork belly?"

"I will never say no to pork belly. Let's go!" 

 

----------------------------

 

Yoonjung paced back and forth, right and left. Kang's plane is delayed by one hour, so she has been restlessly waiting for his arrival. His plane landed fifteen minutes ago, so it shouldn't be long before he come out. 

True enough, after waiting around another five minutes, she could see him walking throught the main gate, pulling one black luggage beside him. 

Yoonjung ran towards him and took a leap. 

Kang caught her and hugged her tight. 

"I miss you." he said.

"I miss you more."

"Sorry to keep you waiting." Kang kept his hug on her with one hand while the other pulling his luggage. 

"It's ok. I waited one month plus, what is another one hour?" she joked.

"I'm sorry for that as well. I really didn't expect for that stage to take that long."

"When do you have to be back there again?" 

"Not for another two months i think... because the next work can be done remotely."  

"Yeay!" she hopped excitedly, "does it mean i have my driver back? you spoiled me too much by dropping me off to and picking me up from work everyday  that It became so hard for me having to take bus." 

Kang laughed, "yes, you have your driver back."

"Great. Now, let's get you back home. Your chef will make you any food you want." 

"Ok, but before that, I want this..." Kang pulled her in for a long and deep kiss, a payback kiss for the two months that they weren't able to touch or feel each other. 

 

------------------

 

"Smells goood...." Kang said, walking towards the kitchen with hair still half wet, wearing black t- and checkered pyjama bottom. 

"Sit down." Yoonjung moved earthenware bowls from the stove using gloves on both hands and placed it on the table.

"samgyetang... my favorite!" Kang pulled a chair and sat down, grabbed a spoon to take a sip of the soup. 

"I hope it taste as good as it smells." she said, taking a seat opposite him. 

Kang paused, his face looked puzzled. 

"Why? what's wrong?" Yoonjung asked worriedly. 

"Did you put sugar or salt inside?"

"Salt. why?"

"It tasted very sweet." Kang tried another sip and gave another frown. "It's definitely sweet." 

"I am so sorry, I don't know how that happened. I could have sworn I added salt not sugar." 

"It's okay, don't worry. It's been a while since you cook in my kitchen, maybe you just forgot where things are." 

"What do I do? There's no time to start making a new dish, you must be starving." 

"Hey..." Kang reached out over the table and held her face in his, "don't worry, it's okay."

"What about ramen?" she asked.

"Ramen is perfect." he smiled in response. 

She quickly took the samgyetang back to the kitchen and started preparing to cook ramen. 

Kang watched her from where he was sitting. He had a feeling that he can't shook off that something is wrong with Yoonjung, but he wasn't sure what.

-----

It's early in the morning, the sun is barely out. Yoonjung tossed and the bed. She finally sat up. Her head was throbbing so much as if someone was hitting it with a bat. She turned to her side and Kang's side of the bed was empty. He usually wakes up early to catch some exercise in the morning. 

She took out painkiller from inside her bag and swallowed two pills without water. 

"You're awake." Kang entered the bedroom. He had small towel draped over his shoulders. His shirt was drenched with sweat, so was his hair.

Yoonjung only replied with a smile, she shifted on the bed and sat up while leaning backward against the head of the bed. 

"Since you're up, do you want to go out for breakfast?" he asked while taking his earbuds off.

"Sounds good."

"You okay?" Kang asked, stopping his steps. 

"Yes of course, why wouldn't I be?" Yoonjung replied still staying in the same position, unmoving. 

"Are you sure?" Kang approached her side and sat on the bed next to her. 

She touched his face, "I am sure." she then patted his arm, "now go take a shower, you stinks."

Even though he was not satisfied with her answer, he still obliged anyway. 

After about one hour, both of them were ready to go when Kang received a phone call from his colleague asking him to stop by office to check on something.

"I am so sorry. Why don't you go and get breakfast first? I will call you once I am done and meet you where you are?"

"Sure." She replied.

"Love you." He kissed her before stepping out of the apartment. 

She watched him left and muttered, "i am sorry..."