Old classmates

Just an Ex

Kyungsoo takes one last look in the mirror to make sure there wasn't any random stains on his clothes. He did go all out and pull things from deep within his closet for this one special occasion. Once he was all clear, he makes his way out of his apartment. Today is the day. He is on his way to a class reunion he's not very excited for. He hopes to greet some people and be left alone for the rest of the night. That's all he could ask for. He was friendly with his classmates for the most part but nearly 10 years have passed, he can't imagine needing to pretend to chitchat and have small talk for the purpose of long lost memories.

Jongdae says they will meet outside the venue so Kyungsoo gets in his car and drives to the address he searched up on Maps for navigation. Once there, he spots Jondae's familiar face outside. He was on his phone, as per usual. Kyungsoo can see other people going into the venue as well. He expected less people to show up but maybe he underestimated the power of the class pet. 

"Jongdae!" Kyungsoo calls out, "Been waiting long?"

"No, I just got here too." He looks relieved, "Thank goodness you actually showed up." 

Kyungsoo gives him a light punch on the arm, "Of course I will be here. I don't go back on my words." It is an important day for Jongdae after all. There was no way Kyungsoo could turn his back on his friend when he literally begged him over the phone. "Let's go in, it's almost time." 

The venue is a basic hall of relative size. It could fit about 100 or so people. There was a small stage up in the front, but aside from that, the food and drinks are placed at the far side of the hall, and in the middle are round tables with 6 chairs chairs each. There are a couple staff standing around wearing white dress tops and red bow ties but aside from that, there wasn't anything special about the set up. And it seems the man who put everyone up for this reunion is nowhere to be seen. 

"Do you see anyone you were close with in high school?" Asks Jongdae as he scans the entire room. 

"Not particularly?" Kyungsoo answers. Matter of fact, the only person he was close to was Jongdae. The fact that he asked that at all should in itself be insulting. 

There were many people already seated chatting. They get escorted to a table by one of the female staff where they join two other people who are already seated there. Kyungsoo can somewhat recall the name of one of them but he can't remember the other person's name. And it must've been showing on his face because they quickly perk up and give him their names. 

"I'm Yoona" - " And I'm Tiffany." - "You're Jongdae and Kyungsoo, right?" Yoona says. 

Right, Yoona and Tiffany. Kyungsoo knows he shouldn't feel this way, since it has been 10 years, but he is slightly ashamed that they remembered them while he couldn't remember them at 100%. Yoona and Tiffany were very friendly and shared notes with him during exam periods. You could say they were his saviors, to a degree because he was a horrible notetaker back in high school. It's all slowly dawning on him that there are some people he might appreciate meeting again. "Yes, nice to meet you two. How have you both been?" Jongdae gives them a reply. Kyungsoo tries to hide the emerging blush on his cheeks as he takes a seat. 

"We've been well, how about you two?" Asks Tiffany, "Any interesting stories to tell?" 

"Nothing in particular. I hear you're a top model Yoona, congratulations!" 

Kyungsoo hasn't been up to date with his ex-classmates business so he's not quite sure where to jump in the conversation. So he sits there awkwardly until Tiffany directs a comment at him, "You're working at DT Bar, right? That place is so hard to get into. Do you have any tips on how to get reservations there? Every time I enter the website, it's always booked." 

"Ah, I do work there. How did you hear about it?" It's not like Kyungsoo has been parading his life online. The fact that anyone knows should mean someone he's close with has been leaking intel. He recalls specifically telling that someone that he shouldn't go around talking about people without their permission. Jongdae quickly takes a sip from the glass of water that was served earlier when they were seated. "Anyway, there isn't really a way around getting reservations. The Bar is genuinely always booked."

"That's too bad. I've heard good things about that place."

Well, it's not like there is a way around getting reservations. Reservations are reservations and anyone can book. Bookings just become very limited to the public because the elites, VIPs and VVIPs are always booking there for business talk. If anyone wants to book, they'd have to be very lucky to spot an opening booking. And it's unlikely in the first place that regular people will book there because it is very much out of many people's budget. 

Just as they finish up their conversation, two others join the table, completing the 6 chaired table.

"We made it just in time," One of them says to the other, "You worried too much about your hair, this is just a reunion." 

"But I want to look my best. You wouldn't understand Jongin." 

They acknowledge the two new additions to the table, Yoona being the first one to greet them. "Hello, you don't have to worry about your hair Wendy. It looks great." 

Kyungsoo is once again ashamed because he couldn't pinpoint Wendy's name either. They all greet each other and start chatting about whatever, things in high school and things in their current lives. Kyungsoo tries to jump in as much as he can but the issue remains that he doesn't have much to say about himself, much less have anything to say about anyone else at the table. The only person he has close relations with since high school is Jongdae but he's already chatting plenty about everything. There's not much Kyungsoo can add. 

"How do you guys think this reunion is going to go?" Asks Wendy. She seems especially excited about being here. She was all glammed and looked very nice. 

"There's a stage up front, maybe we're getting some form of entertainment?" Tiffany chimes. 

Kyungsoo notices that although Jongdae is chatting with everyone else, his eyes are also constantly scanning the room. Just as Kyungsoo leans over to tell him to relax, someone steps onto the stage, announcing loudly, "Hello everyone!! Thank you so much for coming to our 10 year class reunion! I honestly didn't expect so many of you to accept my invitation so thank you very much! This reunion isn't anything special. The purpose is to meet up, reconnect, talk about what's been going on in life, games and karaoke, and enjoy good food and drinks. As you already know, the food and drinks are located on both sides of this room. The door to your right leads to the karaoke booths and game room. Feel free to have lots of fun and please enjoy the rest of the night!"

That tall figure was most definitely Chanyeol, the class president, or how they used to call him, teacher's pet. Because he always made sure to remind the teacher that there was homework due. Who does that? If the teacher forgets that there is homework due, then homework is not due. That's the basics. So when Chanyeol puts his hand up to remind the teacher he has diligently completed his homework and wants to turn it in, so does the rest of the class who may or may not have completed their homework. It's not that Kyungsoo holds a grudge but he does hope Chanyeol trips on his way down the stage. 

"So I guess we're here to hang out today?" Says Wendy. She twirls her hair as if to fix the curl that seems to be coming undone. Up on the stage a string instrument quartet start setting up their music stands and preparing to play music. Kyungsoo figures there wouldn't be much to do at a reunion anyway except meet up with people and chat, but he's thoroughly confused why everything seems so mundane. Were class reunions supposed to be this boring? "Yoona and Tiffany, let's go fine Irene and get some food? I'm kind of hungry."

The girls leave. They say they won't be coming back so Kyungsoo and the rest can take over the table. Jongdae is quick to leave too, saying he spotted the person he came looking for. Now Kyungsoo is left sitting at the partially empty table with a glass of water and Jongin sitting two chairs away, also seemingly confused why he's here.