Chapter Twenty-Two

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

Rian froze; she stared at Haesung. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. He feels nothing for me now, nothing but hatred.” 

 

“But to have hatred, you need to care about the person first. And JB-oppa, he cares about you, so much that I’m just burning up with jealousy - but I still have to tell you. We’re not dating. We were never dating. He was only just using you to make me jealous. That’s all it’s ever been.” Haesung was forcing back her tears, choking as she spoke. “He’s never really cared for me, except maybe as a friend. The only one in his heart is you, it’s always been you. Everything he’s doing now, every retaliation, everything he does to hurt you, is because he just wants a reaction out of you, he wants to know that you still care about him, that you still love him. Why can’t you just see that?”

 

Rian was silent at Haesung’s words; she stood speechless before the girl she’d once considered a rabid, insane fan-girl. 

 

Haesung swallowed back her sobs, fighting to keep her voice steady. “I don’t even know why I’m telling you this. It’s not too smart to root for your rival, is it? But then...if I don’t, then JB will just get even more hurt. So please, please. Please make things right for him.” 

 

Rian hesitated, not knowing what to say. Haesung gave a small, almost bitter smile; then she turned, to run. As she was about to disappear around the corner, she stopped abruptly, seemingly having nearly crashed into someone. She bowed, then vanished around the corner. 

 

Rian leaned against the wall, closing her eyes as she bit her lip. She had never expected Shin Haesung, that coward who’d once removed her mic batteries out of stage fright, to do something like that for her...

 

“Lee Rian-sshi?” 

 

Rian started, surprised by the gentle voice. To her surprise, two of the EXO members were standing in front of her, and it took her a moment to place them. “You guys...you’re...Lay and Luhan, right?” 

 

Lay gave a warm smile. “Yes. And you’re Rian, right, JB’s friend?” 

 

Rian’s smile faded slightly. “What is this about?” 

 

The two Chinese boys paused for a moment, exchanging quick glances; Luhan nudged Lay, a sentence of incomprehensible Chinese flying out of his mouth. “你跟她说吧, 你比较清楚她跟JB之间的事情。” (*“You tell her, you know what’s going on between them better than I do.”)

 

Lay turned around, protesting. “你的韩语比我的好呀!为什么把事情都推到我身上?” (*“Your Korean is better than mine! Why’re you pushing all the talking to me?”)

 

“喂, 我连事情到底是怎么的都不大清楚, 你要我怎么讲呢?你就快说吧, 人家还在看着我们呢。”  (*“I’m not even sure about what’s going on between them, how do you want me to tell her? Just hurry up and talk to her, she’s still staring at us!”) Luhan shoved Lay harder, jerking his head at Rian, who was staring at them in confusion. 

 

Lay cleared his throat, shooting Luhan a death glare before turning to Rian with a kindly smile. “See, the thing is...we’ve, well, we’ve kind of noticed that there’s something going on between you and JB, and we’re a bit worried. JB’s been a little down ever since he came back to Korea, and we were wondering, if, well, it had to do with what’s going on between you two. I’m not asking you to tell me or anything,” Lay raised his hands. “But please, could you do something to make it easier for him? It’s just, he’s going through a lot right now, like the rest of us, with our current comeback, so...” 

 

Rian hesitated, her eyes darting between Lay and Luhan, who were both shooting her pleading gazes. “I...I’ll...I’ll try my best, but it’s not really me, you know. It takes two hands to clap?” 

 

Lay glanced back at Luhan, who immediately took the lead. “Then...I’m sorry if this is presumptuous of us, but could you tell us what happened between the two of you? Just...it might make it easier for us to make JB feel better...” 

 

Rian looked conflicted for a moment - she barely knew these two guys, who were JB’s friends and not hers, but she was being asked to tell them something so private? And yet, the pleading way they looked at her, so earnest and clearly wanting to help out... “Maybe we should find a few seats and sit down - it’s a long story.” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shi Hyuk knuckled his forehead. “Ahh...why am I always the first to arrive when everyone always comes late? Why do I even bother?!” He grumbled in annoyance, tossing his magazine to the side. 

 

As if on cue, the door was swung open; Go Hyemi stepped in, surveying the room like it was below her. She caught sight of Shi Hyuk - brief surprise registered in her eyes, then she nodded once at him. “Jin-guk ah. I thought you’d be late, your manager said you had an event.” 

 

“The event was cancelled, so I took an earlier flight.” Shi Hyuk shrugged. He smiled as Baekhee entered the room behind Hyemi, and patted the seat next to him. “Yah, Yoon Baekhee! It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” 

 

Baekhee hopped over to Shi Hyuk, sitting down next to him. “Sure has. How’s your promotions going? You just released a new album right? I bought it already.” 

 

Shi Hyuk gave a grin, nudging Baekhee. “Yah, thanks for the support!” 

 

Hyemi made a face at the two of them, rolling her eyes. “Che...you two are so cheesy.” 

 

“At least we’re not robotic and alone like you are.” Shi Hyuk pointed out mischievously, as he indicated the sofa on which Hyemi was sitting alone. 

 

Hyemi glared at Shi Hyuk. “You say that one more time and I’ll-”

 

But what Hyemi would have done was never revealed, because the door opened and Pilsuk poked her head in nervously. “Annyeong...ah, Hyemi, Baekhee, Shi Hyuk! You guys are early.” 

 

“Only I was early, you guys are all late.” Shi Hyuk pointed out, disgruntled. Pilsuk hurried over to sit next to Hyemi. “Wow, it’s really been a while since we all met up like this, hasn’t it?” 

 

Baekhee bobbed her head in agreement, while Hyemi just stared at Pilsuk’s body. “Yah Kim Pilsuk, did you gain weight again? You look double the size that I saw you last time!” 

 

Pilsuk’s face fell. “A new ice cream shop opened near my house...” 

 

Baekhee frowned. “Hyemi-ah, you don’t have to be so mean right? It’s been nearly two years since we last met, and you’re not happy at all?” 

 

Hyemi pointed at her unchanging expression. “This is my happy face.” 

 

All three of the others rolled their eyes. 

 

“Eh, where’s Sam-dong and Jason, anyway? They’re really late, nearly fifteen minutes. The President’s not here, either.” 

 

“Jason said he’ll be late, he’s attending a concert that one of his hoobaes invited him to. I’m not sure about Sam-dong, though.” Pilsuk volunteered. 

 

Automatically, heads turned to look at Hyemi; she just stared unblinkingly back at them. “How would I know?” 

 

“Um...because you’re his fiancee? Or did you guys break up already?” Shi Hyuk teasingly asked. “Does this mean I stand a chance now?” 

 

Hyemi shot Shi Hyuk one of her patented death glares. “Yah, Hyun Shi Hyuk, don’t talk crap, or you’ll get it from me.” 

 

As she spoke, the door opened again, and the President walked in; he surveyed the former Dream High idols for a moment before sitting down in his armchair. “Jason and Sam-dong will not be joining us this time - Jason is at a concert and Sam-dong’s flight was delayed, so let us begin now.” He leaned forward, crossing his fingers. “Dream High broke up nearly two years ago, nevertheless all of you are still extremely popular with the fans, hence I have decided to bring you back together to release another album.” 

 

“A new album together?” Pilsuk perked up, adorably happy at the thought; then she deflated. “Ah...but I can’t do dance songs anymore...” 

 

“Which is why you’ll have to go on a diet starting today.” The President instructed. “We can’t have you looking so fat and pudgy onstage.” 

 

There was a silence as everyone exchanged uncomfortable glances, while Pilsuk sunk deeper into her gloom. But it was Hyemi who spoke up first. “Yah, don’t you think you’ve said enough? So what if she’s slightly wider than the rest of us? She can still dance, can’t she?” 

 

The President levelled a cold gaze at Hyemi. “The fans-”

 

“If they’re really our fans they should be understanding instead of judgmental.” Hyemi cut in brusquely. “Deal with it.” 

 

“I agree with Hyemi. They should accept Pilsuk for who she is, the same way the rest of us do.” Shi Hyuk spoke up calmly, while Baekhee nodded earnestly next to him. 

 

Outvoted, the President could do nothing but move on. “Very well, but any backlash will fall upon Dream High. Now, moving on. I believe you are aware of my new group, the Superdols?”

 

“It’s a crappy name.” Hyemi summed up succinctly. The President ignored her. “I intend for you to train the Superdols, along with the idols of EXO.” 

 

“Special training? Why would they need something like that? We never had any need for it.” Hyemi interrupted again. The President looked ready to yell at her, but it was Shi Hyuk who cut in teasingly. “Yeah, we know, you were a perfect little Hyemi-bot. Can we move on?” 

 

Hyemi shot Shi Hyuk a glare, but said nothing. 

 

“Actually the training for the EXO idols is rather extraneous, all of them are doing quite well on their own, and the majority of them have the charisma to carry it off onstage. My worry is the Superdols.” The President’s brow furrowed. “The majority of fine, but I have some worries, especially with regards to Yoojin. I thought that boy would be my ace, which was why I selected him to be JB’s pacemaker initially - but he’s shaping out to be rather of a disappointment; he has showcased none of his music talents thus far and he’s a poor dancer. Hence, I intend to have Jason focus on upping his dancing skills. Rian is another big problem - she’s never been a particularly good singer, but lately she’s been becoming worse and worse, all listless and unable to work properly. I want you to find out what’s wrong, and find the best way to make them all improve. Understood?” 

 

Hyemi rolled her eyes. “I don’t particularly like the role of mentor, you know.” 

 

“Well deal with it! They’re your hoobaes, so it’s time you give them some instruction!” The President snapped, finally losing his patience with her, before he stormed out. 

 

Shi Hyuk shot Hyemi an exasperated look. “Would it kill you to not be rude to every person of authority you meet?” 

 

“Yes.” 

 

Baekhee bit back a laugh - some things just never changed. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoojin tossed his head back, scoffing. “Why should I respect them just because they debuted before I have? That’s all just a matter of timing, what really counts is talent and they haven’t proved themselves to me yet.” 

 

Jr fought the urge to roll his eyes. “Yah, they’re your sunbaes, they deserve respect for that. Besides, some of them have been training for way longer than we have - doesn’t hard work count for anything? And even if you don’t take all that into consideration - there are THIRTEEN of them. I think I can honestly say that it wouldn’t pay to offend any of them, since there’ll be another twelve waiting to have a go at you. Even if that one happens to be JB.” 

 

Yoojin sneered. “I’ll treat them any way I like.” 

 

It was Siwoo who broke up the party. “You might just be asking for a beating, then.”

 

Yoojin just shot him a hostile glare. “Guess what? I don’t really care.” 

 

There was an amused cough from the doorway; all three of the Superdols started, turning around, only to see JB standing there. His head was tilted slightly as he surveyed them. “I see you haven’t changed much, Jin Yoojin.” 

 

Siwoo rose, clapping his best friend on the back. “Where are the other EXO members?” 

 

“Chatting with Nana and Ailee. Why don’t you go and take a look at how it’s going?” JB suggested amiably. “You too, Jr.” 

 

There was a pause as Jr and Siwoo exchanged looks - they weren’t dense enough not to realise that JB was asking them to leave him alone with Yoojin. Jr looked reluctant, but Siwoo gave an almost-imperceptible nod - he knew they needed to clear up the matters between them once and for all.

 

Silently, the two Superdols vacated the room. Yoojin looked up at JB, loathing in his eyes. “I’ve got nothing to say to you, .” 

 

“Don’t you.” JB’s voice was nonchalant as he pulled up a chair to sit opposite Yoojin. “I can see that my words were right - you really haven’t changed at all.” 

 

“Just say what you came to say and get lost.” Yoojin retorted. 

 

There was a pause, as JB just stared silently at him. Then he leaned forward; menace exuded from every inch of his being, and Yoojin was suddenly, unpleasantly reminded of the beating he’d suffered two years ago. Almost instinctively, he leaned back, as JB’s low voice started. “Keep away from Rian.” 

 

Yoojin scoffed. “You think I’ll listen to you just like that? What do you care, anyway? It’s not like Rian is yours alone.” 

 

“Rian’s not mine, it’s true.” JB mused. “But I have a responsibility to keep her away from dirty, grimy hands that are below her standard. Scum, essentially.” 

 

Yoojin shot out of his chair, his expression livid. “What did you just call me?” 

 

“I didn’t call you anything - unless you are?” A small smile curved JB’s lips as he gazed tauntingly at Yoojin. “Well? Why aren’t you saying anything? Cat got your tongue?”

 

“You arrogant jerk - if there’s anyone who hasn’t changed its you you jackass!” Yoojin yelled, launching himself at JB; but all of a sudden a pair of hands encircled Yoojin’s waist, dragging him back onto the ground. Even JB looked startled as Kris shoved Yoojin to the ground, his handsome face contorted into a snarl. “Don’t you dare touch him.” 

 

The other EXO members stood behind him, along with the remaining members of the Superdols; Rian stared silently at JB, and JB gazed back defiantly, almost daring her to side with Yoojin again. 

 

There was a brief pause, and Lay shifted next to Rian; for a moment, JB thought he’d even murmured something to her. 

 

Rian hesitated; then she stepped forward, and held her hand out to JB. “Are you all right?” 

 

-------------------------------------

A/N: Here's the next chapter! So Rian finally decides to play nice with JB; it's iconic because it's literally the first time in years Rian has lent a hand to JB, and the first time she's ever sided with JB against Yoojin (as you may remember, JB's brutal beating of Yoojin was actually because Rian chose Yoojin over JB)

 

We also get to see a bit more of Lay and Luhan; the two of them are utterly adorable, and totally caring towards JB. I think Lay is shaping out to be my favourite EXO member here ^^

 

There's also a portion on the Dream High idols - how many of you enjoyed that? I tried to keep the characters as true-to-form as I could, hence Hyemi's lack of regard for authority and her trademark bluntness. Sam-dong and Jason will probably appear in the next chapter, for Sam-mi and Woou fans. 

 

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!