Favorite kiss

Favorite kiss

 

#.5 Part 1 of 3

 

"Sick?", Sungmin questions as he looks for the notebook Hyukjae is pleading him to lend him because he needs to copy some exercises. 

They're in front of Hyukjae's locker. There are only a few students around besides them because it's terribly early: there are still thirty minutes left before the beginning of their lessons.

Sungmin came to school earlier than usual because Hyukjae begged him to. It was not a problem for Sungmin since he was already dressed and he was just chilling in front of the television, waiting for the time to pass, when Hyukjae called him. What is confusing him is Hyukjae. The latter has never been the thirty-minutes-left guy even when he didn't do his homework which are always a must to do because teachers are severe and strict. Hyukjae has always been more like a five-minutes-guy-praying-to-have-homework-done-when-the-teacher-step-in-the-class guy.

Still kneeling on the ground and still searching, Sungmin persists, "Hyukjae, answer me. . .Why did you go home yesterday? Were you really sick?"

Holding the straps of his rucksack, Hyukjae replies, "Sort of. My mom called to inform the teachers. It's nothing to be worried about,hyung.", he says nonchalant while his eyes inspect Sungmin's hands as they move from a copybook to another,checking them all to recognise the one that he needs. When Sungmin looks over him and settles a rather inquisitive stare on his figure- -that means he isn't buying one bit of the 'sort of' because he knows Hyukjae too well and Hyukjae can't fool him- -Hyukjae doesn't allow any hint of nervousness manifest in any part of his body.

Why would Hyukjae feel nervous?

He's telling the truth.

He really felt sick yesterday- -there was no way he wasn't going to feel sick after Kyuhyuk invited forced to go out with him. On Saturday. At three pm. Don't be late. Hyukjae shouldn't feel nervous right now because there's no reason for it. Hyukjae's mom can confirm how pale he looked. The problem stems from the fact that Hyukjae knows exactly that even with the confirmation and all the details of his status from his mother, Sungmin wouldn't be convinced. Despite having his crazy logical moments, Sungmin is a nice person to have around, he's the greatest, and Hyukjae is thankful. However, he can't deny that sometimes he wishes Sungmin not to be so great. The older guy has this innane ability to be able to say when something is wrong with Hyukjae- -an ability that he has always had since when they're young- -that Hyukjae sometimes prays that he hadn't.

Like now. Hyukjae knows how this conversation is going to end.

But let's at least try, shall we? Hyukjae smiles at Sungmin, laughing a little. "Will you stop staring at me like that? I didn't feel weel. Really."

"When you're sick, you call me",Sungmin points out. He offers Hyukjae a smile of his, but it isn't genuine. They're just two rows of teeth that are pressing onto each other in order not to let other words like 'you're hiding something' slip out- -Hyukjae has learnt to read him a little.

Sungmin turns back at his rucksack. Finally finding the copybook, he takes it. He's flipping the pages to the page of the exercises assigned for that day, when he adds, "When you don't have the strenght to call me,you tell Sora unnie to call me."

Hyukjae can't hold himself back. He shifts his weight from one foot to the other. "Hyung- -"

"Always", Sungmin cuts him off and Hyukjae thinks that the guy's smile looks more like a threaten now. "There was not a time you didn't do it."

He thinks that there's no point in saying that 'there's always a first time', judging from the way Sungmin is holding his gaze on his eyes with that sharp look.

Hyukjae can only sigh.

 

-

 

"He did not."

Hyukjae shows him suffering eyes. "He did."

Sungmin slips his fingers lightly around Hyukjae's wrist and, leaning himself close to Hyukjae's ear, he eyes the students around him before bringing his mouth near it to whisper, "The whole date thing is true? Are you 100% sure?" Sungmin's lips are almost touching Hyukjae's ear. "What were his words?", he inquires and though his tone is calm and the words has been delivered softly, Hyukjae is more than certain that Sungmin is dying in dibelief and curiousity. It's just that he cannot let his feelings transpire because he has promised Hyukjae to mantain his secret and not talk aloud.

Hyukjae doesn't like recalling the episode.

"Hey, is it true- -"

"Why? Do you think that I've invented a story?" The rude answer makes Sungmin scowl. Hyukjae looks at him before crossing stubbornly his arms on his chest. His gaze drops on his desk, suddenly glaring at it. "Why would I invent a like that? You think that I'm lying?", he says, putting emphasis on the word 'lying' because he's upset with the older guy.

"Hyukjae", the other says and Hyukjae doesn't see the way the corners of Sungmin's lips go down and his eyebrows arch. "You know that it's not what I was trying to say."

Right. Hyukjae puts a hand on his chest, looking up at the ceiling. His face doesn't change expression. He purses his lips and eventually the frown, that's treating to come, never happens because he feels something bumping against the back of his shoe and it's Sungmin. He knows it's him.

Hyukjae gathers air in his cheeks. He blows them out.

"Not what I was trying to say. . .", he parrots. He clicks his tongue at Sungmin, jokingly. Who's being silly? He has to laugh because he realises that he is snapping at Sungmin when his friend has nothing to do with what happened. He observes his friend. I can count on him right? Hyukjae asks himself as he enjoys the expression that Sungmin is showing while looking at him. As if Hyukjae has turn green all of a sudden and two horns pop out on his back from nowhere. Yeah, I can. He's the best. A big smile graces Hyukjae's face- -this doesn't lessen Sungmin's schocked expression. It's getting worse. More entertaining- -and he decides that he must quit holding everything to himself because it's useless, he can't do it alone and he needs moral support from someone (and even if Sungmin says this bull theory and that bull theory, he will support Hyukjae).

But first let me do this. He sighs. "Promise me you'll never make fun of me if I tell you this."

Sungmin recovers quickly. "This, what?", he asks, confusion coating his voice. "You have other secrets, Hyukjae?" He pokes his cheek inside with his tongue. "Wow, I can't believe that you have so many."

Hyukjae's cheeks redden slightly and Hyukjae so hates himself because of that. "It's not many. It's about yesterday. . .Do you want to know or not?" He makes a gesture with his hand. Sungmin still isn't answering. "Hyung, either you promise or I'll shut up and you won't know anything from me anymore. Your choice."

He sees Sungmin sit on the chair, a thoughtful look on his face. There's a note in his eyes that Hyukjae can't understand when he replies a couple of seconds later. "I can't promise you that I will never make fun of you about what you're gonna tell me. I will sometimes. Deal?", he says catiously.

Honesty is always appreciated in these cases. "But only sometimes", Hyukjae points his finger at the older friend. Sungmin nods once. "Okay, so we have a deal."

"Another one", Sungmin corrects him.

When he's revealing everything to Sungmin (little details, his encounter with Heechul- -Heechul can be kind. 'That's incredible, right?'- -Kyuhyun and he in the gym. Alone- -'He locked me! That guy locked me in! That jerk!'- -the exact words he and Kyuhyun enchanged to each other- -Hyukjae hates Kyuhyun. 'I hate him so much. Screw him.'- -how he felt after he lost against Kyuhyun- -'I still can't believe it. He's so good at playing basketball,hyung. He's fast and his shoots are precise. It's hard to admit,but the jerk has talent,hyung. I think he's even better than Yunho.'- -how he spent his night- -'I kept wondering why. Do you think the Earth is conspiring against me? Cause I'm so unlucky. So unlucky.'), Hyukjae isn't looking at the older. He doesn't want to.

He's opting for the floor.

Hyukjae is throwing out all his anxiety, not-willingness to go and uneasiness and anger in words. It makes him uncomfortable somehow. Makes him feel exposed. Yet, once he finishes, Hyukjae can't deny that he feels like there's a heaviness on his chest that is now gone. 

But. But he also feels nervous. Somehow. Somehow? It's only thanks to Sungmin's forefinger that rubs on his forehead that Hyukjae realises that he's back to frowning. Exposed. "Don't make jokes now", he pleades more than orders. He guesses that his eyes are portraying the mixed emotions that he has inside as Sungmin nibbles on his bottom lip.

"I'm not." A weak smile curves on Sungmin's mouth. "You look so troubled by this date,Hyukjae.", he whispers, but Hyukjae's ears hear it, can set it apart from the voices in the classroom- -other students (all of our classmates?) are there talking to each other.

Hyukjae acknowledges their presence; some of them are copying homework like Hyukjae did, some are reviewing. He draws his attention on Sungmin, the words that the other has said are replaying in his mind. "Yes", he confesses. "It's. . .I don't want to go. The guy's an idiot and all. I don't understand what's wrong with him. Why can't he leave me alone. Why did I lose that one-on-one match? Why is Cho the ing Kyuhyun making my life so ugly? I'm tired of him and his . . .Jeez", he rants.

He covers his eyes with one hand.

He inhales deeply.

And then exhales.

"I didn't know you could be so dramatic, Hyuk."

Hyukjae peeks at Sungmin through the space in between his fingers.

I am what.

"I am not", he protests. Sungmin folds his lips,trying to suppress a laugh.

"Okay, I take it back." Sungmin is grinning. He catches Hyukjae's wrist and then takes it down,removing the hand from Hyukjae's face. The younger is clean of any expression. He simply blinks at Sungmin. "Remember when we were thirteen and Junsu was very hungry and he took a bite on your pizza? Remember the drama you put on at that time?" He pauses to give Hyukjae time to look for that memory in his head.

Hyukjae uses it to scowl at Sungmin. 

"I take it back", Sungmin says again. "I knew that you're a drama-person."

Hyukjae narrows. "I remember when Sooyoung made you smudge your new t-shirt and you cried your soul out. Who's the drama person now?"

Unlike him, Sungmin doesn't look bugged at all. He shrugs. "I was a kid.", he clarifies.

Hyukjae is searching for examples to demonstrate the opposite of Sungmin's statement regarding him when Sungmin says, "Do you feel better?", and it hits him.

He gets overwhelmed by the gratitude he's feeling for Sungmin.

A really great friend indeed.

Hyukjae reaches over and flicks Sungmin's hair. Then, he pats the older's cheek rather affectionately. "Thank you,Sungmin hyung.", he says sincerely. He smiles at the other, his gums showing a little. "But I am not dramatic.", he clinches just in case. 

They grin at each other.

"Yeah. . ." Sungmin concedes.

Or so it seems at the beginning.

". . .You ain't dramatic and you ain't feeling confused because you don't want to go out with Kyuhyun, but deep inside we both know that you like him."

"Oh, please, stop.", Hyukjae throws his hands in the air, appalled at the thought of hearing Sungmin talk again about this ridiculous wrong supposition that he called theory, but Hyukjae had already explained that a theory needs proves to be called that and Sungmin's is not a theory since it has no basis. There's nothing true in it. It's nothing but a hypothesis. A wrong supposition. Speculation. Hyukjae has to praise himself for studying hard when he was on punishment. He's kind of thanking his parents and Sora for it- -no, not Kyuhyun because he kissed him (ohmyin- -it is forbidden to use the k-word).

Sungmin chuckles. "You'll have to face the truth one day, my dear friend", he sing-songs and Hyukjae has to roll his eyes. 

"Didn't I tell you no jokes at the moment?"

"Yes.", Sungmin says shortly. "But that moment passed and, it's not a joke. I'm serious about it.", he declares. "You should be too."

Hyukjae snorts,defeated by Sungmin's persistance. "Whatever, hyung. Whatever."

And they go on like that, with Sungmin being annoying and Hyukjae eyeing his desk and thinking that banging his head against it would probably be better than listening to Sungmin- -they go on like that until Sungmin is on his knees on the chair behind Hyukjae's and is leaning to the younger,tugging at his uniform.

"Your Kyuhyun is stepping inside the classroom.", he whispers and Hyukjae is horrified at the possessive adjective that Sungmin's put before the jerk's name.

All the things about how Sungmin is great and kind and nice to have around are slashed. "We are no longer friends." Hyukjae acquaints Sungmin, his lips are forming a thin line. Hyukjae looks affronted and the so called friendship with Sungmin whines when Sungmin doesn't even bother to respond at that. Hyukjae knows- -and you all have to understand this: he doesn't like that he knows this thing. What thing? Keep on reading- -the older is following Cho Kyuhyun with his eyes. 

I am not looking at Cho.

"He's staring at you.", Sungmin murmurs. "He has his eyes on you, Hyuk."

I am so not looking at Cho.

"He is- -"

"Save it, hyung. Don't want to know.", he hisses.

Sungmin shuts. Thank you hyung. Thank you.

Hyukjae hears the sound of objects being put on the desk next to his- -his mind matches them with Kyuhyun's Ipod, Ipad and mention-something-that-have-an-apple-drawn-behind-it or something-non-school-related.

Nothing particularly important happens- -Kyuhyun has probably sat next to him and he's singing next to him. He's good. Hyukjae is thinking that it isn't fair: Cho the ing Kyuhyun can play basketball (he's a talent. .) and can actually sing. What about Hyukjae? Not fair.).

Hyukjae is doing nothing- -he has his hands on his lap and he is looking everywhere except there where there's his singing enemy.

Suddenly, Kyuhyun stops.

And Hyukjae is watching Cho Kyuhyun because Cho the ing Kyuhyun is touching his ear and is sort of trying to put an earphone on it. "What do you think you're doing?", he asks. This line doesn't belong to me, right?

"Listen to this song", Kyuhyun tells him.

There's definitely something wrong with this guy. Hyukjae squints his eyes. He looks suspiciously at the thing Kyuhyun wants him to put. "No", he replies decisively.

"Why not?", Kyuhyun asks, playing with the wire with one hand and jiggling the volume of his Ipod with the other. "It's Power by Bap. . .warning warning warning everybody say hate you. One more say. . .I think it's catchy."

"No", Hyukjae repeats and he gesticulates something as to say Kyuhyun to move further from him. "A no is a no."

Kyuhyun looks annoyed. "You're so boring."

Hyukjae scoffs. "You find me boring, but you asked me out. I can't see where is your coherence", his voice is surprisingly steady as he spits that out. He congratulates himself on not stuttering. 

"Don't be a sarcastic- to me", Kyuhyun says, but he isn't looking at Hyukjae. His thumb is making round circles on his music player and Hyukjae doesn't mean to stare at the little screen and he doesn't mean to read First Love. "It's by Utada Hikaru.", Kyuhyun informs him.

Hyukjae drives his eyes up to Kyuhyun's face without thinking. "Whatever", he croaks and consequently, he clears his throat.

"Don't you want to hear this one?" Kyuhyun wears a half-smile/half-smirk. Hyukjae feels a shiever run through his body because this kind of facial on the jerk doesn't bond anything good. "This is a love song." Kyuhyun says.

Hyukjae is staring, puzzled. And so?

"You're the type that likes this kind that makes teenagers daydream, don't you?"

Hyukjae seems at a loss for words for a second. But he finds them back after seeing Kyuhyun's complete smirk. "I know what you're implying!", he flames. "I like love songs, but that doesn't mean anything. , Cho Kyuhyun, you are a big bastard. I don't even know why I'm here talking to you. I'm done talking to you forever. Don't you- -", he has to stop because Kyuhyun's face is coming closer to him. Hyukjae blinks. Then, he pushes the other, "Don't you dare."

Kyuhyun pulls a mock upset face for a brief moment. Regaining his composure, he teases, "You're scarlet." and Hyukjae is preparing himself for another rant, but Kyuhyun does something that makes Hyukjae unable to utter anything. He grins at Hyukjae. "Scarlet, scarlet, scarlet." And then he closes one of his eyelids at him.

Hyukjae has forgotten that Sungmin's behind him. He is glad that the older guy's shout gets drowned out by the ringing of the bell, signifying the beginning of the lesson. 

Cho Kyuhyun did not just wink at me.