After the Storm

10 Years After That Day

Mirai peaked on the door as Ryosuke prepares to work.

Ryosuke: What is it? (smiles)

Mirai: Is your work schedule still packed?

Ryosuke: Why?

Mirai: I was just wondering if nobody pulled out their work contract with you after the news?

Ryosuke smiled and walked towards Mirai.

Ryosuke: You don’t have to worry about that.

Mirai: I just don’t want that your career will be affected by this.

Ryosuke: It will not. And if it will…so what? I am not gonna regret anything.

Mirai stared at him.

Ryosuke: (chuckles) I am in the age to give myself little breaks anyway. You know, ojii-sanism?

That made her laugh too.

Ryosuke made his way out of the room and into the living room.

Ryosuke: Anyway, I am inviting everyone for dinner.

Mirai: Everyone?

Ryosuke: (nods) Our friends…that includes JUMP of course. (smiles) I already reserved a restaurant for tonight. I think it’s a good timing to thank them.

Mirai: (smiles) I really wanted to thank them personally too.

Ryosuke: And oh, we can go shop for your clothes later after work.

Mirai: It’s okay I’ll do it alone. (smiles)

Ryosuke: Are you sure you’re okay going out alone?

She places both her hands on his shoulder and tapped it gently.

Mirai: (nods) Unn…Just focus on work today.

Ryosuke: Just call me if anything happens. Okay?

Mirai: Okay. Now go!

She chuckled as she pushed Ryosuke.

Mirai: You’ll be late.

Ryosuke: (smiles) I’ll see you later.

Mirai: (nods) Later.

But Ryosuke seemed to wait for something as he stayed there, looking at his girlfriend. Mirai just looked back at him confuse making him sigh and turn to the door to leave.

Mirai: Ryosuke~

Ryosuke turned to Mirai.

Ryosuke: Unn?

She grabbed his shirt and tiptoed to reach him for a kiss.

Mirai: Itterasshai.

Ryosuke: (smiles) Ittekimasu

 

*****

 

Mirai was checking on clothes. She only needed one pair since she planned to go back in Kanagawa the day after, and another for the dinner with her friends. She was also relieved nobody recognized her…until.

“Mirai-chan?”

Mirai stiffened on her spot as she hesitated to look at the person behind him.

“Mirai-chan, it’s you right?”

Mirai can only slowly look back and her eyes popped in surprise. She didn’t know if she’s gonna feel relieved or nervous when she saw Ryosuke’s older sister, Chihiro.

Mirai: Ah! Chihiro-san. (bows)

The last time Mirai checked, they really get along well but now she’s so tensed knowing that Chihiro is not just a friend but her boyfriend’s sister too.

Suddenly the lady grabbed her hand and excitedly shaking her.

Chihiro: Hisasshiburi~ (stares at Mirai) Is my brother taking good care of you?

Mirai: Eh? Uuh—(nods) Yes, he is. (smiles)

Chihiro: (smiles) That’s a relief. I wouldn’t even know about you two if the news did not break.

Mirai: (bows) Ah! I’m sorry.

Chihiro: (giggles) I’m kidding! I actually already knew from mom and dad, I almost called Ryosuke in excitement but I don’t wanna blow his plans. (stares at Mirai) I am happy to see you again. How long has it’s been?

Mirai: (smiles) Probably almost a year.

Chihiro: That long already. You suddenly quit the cooking school. It was a little sad without you.

Mirai: Ah…That was when…

Chihiro immediately realize it may have been when her marriage started to be shakey. She slowly wrapped Mirai in her embrace. That surprised the later.

Chihiro: I could have done this earlier if I only knew you were struggling back then.

Mirai felt warmth and relief. Altho they knew each other since Chihiro was in high school, they only got a lot closer during their cooking class. Ever since Chihiro had been a big sister to her.

She pulled from the embrace and looked at Mirai with a bright smile on her face.

Chihiro: But you are better now, right? You’re in better hands now, Mirai-chan. Altho my brother isn’t as tall but his face will carry.

A big smile appeared on Mirai’s face. Until the smile turned to laughing.

Chihiro: (laughs) Shall we get a coffee?

Mirai nods in between laugh.

Mirai: I’d love that.

 

*****

Two sets of laughter can be heard in a table in the furthest corner in a coffee shop in Shibuya.

The laughter slowly subsided as Chihiro took a sip of her coffee.

Chihiro: Anyway, how’s Ryosuke?

Mirai: (nods) He is okay. He has been doing work regularly.

Chihiro: No I mean in the relationship. (smiles teasingly) He has been single for 10 years, so (laughs) I don’t know how he is doing.

Mirai scrunched her nose and leaned closer to Chihiro.

Mirai: He’s quite clingy. (grins)

Chihiro: (laughs) Really?

Mirai nodded and giggled before drinking another sip of coffee.

Chihiro: I expected that…But really? (laughs) I thought he’d be a little held-back.

Mirai: I thought too but I have noticed he was less of a shy when we met again for a long time.

Chihiro: (shrugs) Well, he is 37 already. He’ll never get a girlfriend if he stays shy around girls. (chuckles) Speaking of girls, now I get it why he rejected all the girls I set him up for a date.

Mirai let out a brief laugh.

Chihiro: I know that time, he spent his hiatus with you but I did not know he was actually trying to get back to you. Sneaky little brother.

Mirai: (laughs) Actually we were just really casual about it. You know, just catching up. Never really expected things to come to this.

Chihiro: Well, I am just thankful it came to this! (looks at Mirai) Thank you for making Ryosuke happy, Mirai-chan.

Mirai smiled and bowed at Chihiro.

Mirai: I’ll do my best.

Chihiro laughed making Mirai pull her back up and laugh with her.

Chihiro: Can we call Misaki over? I want her to meet you. (smiles)

 

*****

 

Ryosuke was putting on his jacket when he got out of the bathroom.

Ryosuke: You ready?

Mirai in her white knitted blouse and denim momjeans nodded at Ryosuke. She has little makeup on and her long hair curled down, securing her bangs up with bobby pins.

Mirai: Ah! Wait.

She immediately grabbed her small bag on the bedside table then back to Ryosuke.

Mirai: All set. (smiles)

He held her hand and smiled.

Ryosuke: Let’s go.

Mirai: Uh—Ryosuke.

Ryosuke: Did you forget something?

Mirai pulled her hand from his and got something from her bag—her phone. She scrolled briefly on her phone and handed it to Ryosuke. Confused, he took it and look at the screen.

Ryosuke: Eeeh? (looks at Mirai) Wait a minute!

He looked back at her phone and stared at the photo of Mirai with Chihiro and Misaki.

Ryosuke: You met with my sisters?

Mirai: (nods) Yeah.

Ryosuke: How—How was it?

Mirai: (smiles) It was fun!

That made Ryosuke smile widely.

Mirai slid her small hand on his hand and looked up at him with a smile.

 

*****

 

Everybody was sitted a round table in a yakiniku restaurant Ryosuke reserved. All JUMP members were present including Keito, as well as some of their high school friends such as Kamiki, Umika, Suzuka, Saaya, Shuhei, Hayato, and Jingi who has been absent in all their gatherings because he is now residing far from Tokyo after getting married to a noncelebrity from Hokkaido.

Jingi: Let’s make a toast everyone! Cheers!

They held their beer glasses up and screamed.

Inoo, Yuya, Jingi and Shuhei’s arms were on each others shoulders as they toast. Kamiki was sitted next to Ryosuke and Mirai, talking to Saaya and Daiki. Hayato was next to his wife, Suzuka chatting with Yabu and Hikaru. Umika, Chinen, Yuto and Keito were laughing around each other.

Suddenly, Chinen stood and requested for a bottle of tequila which was immediately brought by the server.

Ryosuke: What are you planning?

Chinen: Let’s play, Truth or Shot, everyone!!!

There was cheering and laughing.

Umika: Here he goes again with that game.

 

Despite some protests, they found themselves doing the game. The mechanics of the game is easy. Someone from the group throws a question to the player and it’s either he answers the question or take a shot of the hard liquor. The round started with Chinen Yuri.

Chinen: Okay. (scratched his nose) I’m ready.

Daiki: Me! Me! Me! My question is…If you have the chance to undo something from your past…which of the following is it? One; getting married to Naomi-chan…

There was laughter.

Daiki: Or two; having a child with Umika-chan.

There was a sudden silence. Yabu can only hit Daiki from behind.

Daiki: Ouch.

Chinen let out a scoff.

Yuto: Shot! (laughs)

Suddenly they started chanting “Shot! Shot! Shot!”

Chinen finally laughed and raise the shot glass and chug it all in at once. He then slid the glass to the person next to him, Keito, and filled the glass with tequila.

The game went on.

Keito, Daiki and Jingi were the most drunk. Kamiki was just a little tipsy after taking a single shot when he was asked who among his girlfriends has the biggest s.

Umika drank a couple of shots too after dodging all the questions about Chinen. It’s amazing how she can still walk straight though. 

Yuto who has never taken a shot after answering all the questions even is that was about his past relationship with Suzuka, in front Hayato, was laughing at how drunk the three guys are.

Shuhei was just drunk because he enjoyed drinking.

The rest seemed to be in a okay-state.

 

It almost 10 in the evening when Ryosuke and Mirai arrived home. Ryosuke removed his jacket as he jumped on his bed.

Ryosuke: That was fun!

Mirai sat on the edge of the bed and removed her earrings.

Mirai: It was fun! (laughs) I hope the three guys are okay.

Ryosuke: Yuto and Chii will send them home. They'll manage.

Mirai laughed briefly before she combed the tip of her hair with her fingers and removed the bobby pins that secured her bangs.

She gasped when she felt Ryosuke’s chin on her shoulder. When she turned to him, she realized how little was the distant between their faces. She closed her eyes as he got closer.

It was a long, gentle, slow kiss.

Later, she felt his hand on her back. His gentle hand pulling her shirt from being tucked in her jeans. He pulled out from the kiss and stared at her briefly before sweeping her hair back, kissing her temple down to her ear, down to her neck—small soft kisses.

Mirai slowly opened her eyes and pulled her feet up on the bed, turning her body to face him. She placed both her hands on his wide shoulders, pushing him down in the soft surface.

When she was already on top of him, her left elbow supporting her weight, hand on his hair while her right hand made its way under his shirt—little fingers tracing his muscles.

From staring at each other, he touched her cheek before pulling her face down for a kiss.

He ran his hand in his back under the knitted blouse, unclasping her bra with one hand. That was when Mirai gasped before his lips.

She immediately pulled her back up and get off from Ryosuke.

Ryosuke took a deep breath, twitching his lips before turning to Mirai who looked back at him, eyes wide trying to comtemplate what just happened.

Ryosuke: Are you drunk?

That made Mirai laugh as she covered her face.

Mirai: I might have drank quite a bit. (chuckles)

Ryosuke laughed along thinking how cute his girlfriend is. He pulled his back up and move closer to Mirai, putting both arms on her side as he stared at her.

Mirai stared back at him and a soft smile carved on her lips.

Mirai: I might be a little drunk.

Ryosuke: You're not. 

He teasingly grinned before kissing her again as he pulled her with him, drifting back on the bed.

That night Ryosuke did not sleep on the couch.

 

*****

 

They forgot to put down the window blinds last night, so the light from the window woke Ryosuke and Mirai.

When she moved her face, she bumped into his cheek. With half-opened eyes, Ryosuke moved closer, planting a kiss on her cheek.

She stretched her arm to his shoulder, clenching on the hem of his shirt sleeve while he pulled the blanket back up to their shoulders.

Mirai: I am going back to Kanagawa today.

Ryosuke pulled her closer by the waist—hugging her little frame.

Ryosuke: I’m coming along.

There was just silence before Mirai opened her eyes.

Mirai: Eh?

Ryosuke: Is it okay to meet them today?

Mirai can only look at Ryosuke, surprised.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...