Focus

The Point of This
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HI !  Hope whoever read's this enjoys it! Inspo was from the movie the start is born (Yongsun covered a song from the movie not long ago and it reminded me how I enjoyed the movie but also really didn't like some components of it. So hey if you're the type to listen to songs whilst you read Shallow by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is good one since it comes up in this story :))

Not proof read so sorry for any typos, hope you enjoy and comment!

************

In my room 

Every day I see your smile 

Moonbyul took a few steps back as the lights went out creating a blanket of darkness in the entire stadium, phone flashlights twinkling amidst it all as if a sky of stars. 

Turning around as the screaming of the crowd filled her ears on her way to the backstage area, she passed Hyejin mumbling something to her as if the girl didn’t know she couldn’t hear her with all the noise that was being made. 

Moonbyul felt her chest pounding as she caught Hyejin’s arm, knowing the girl was probably getting annoyed at the lack of response. 

“Text me tomorrow.” Moonbyul mouthed out, catching the frown the younger girl made before nodding allowing for the older girls escape. 

Moonbyul walked on, briskly dodging hands that tried to grab her, the pit in her stomach growing as she made her way into the car with tinted windows. 

“It says an hour and a half, there’s some traffic.” Her drive Tom mumbled as he left the parking spot and hit the road. 

“Roger that.” Moonbyul coughed, sighing as she took a sip after opening the bottle of beer that sat in the back seat, “If this was all you got for me maybe find a bar I can get a drink at.” 

Tom chuckled, shaking his head as his eyes met hers in the rear view mirror 

“As long as we don’t miss your flight, we have four hours.” 

Moonbyul allowed silence to fill the space as something low played on the radio, thankful that Tom didn’t feel the need to question, for the fact that he was there to take her wherever she wanted to go. 

 “You killed it out there, kid.” Tom spoke up, his eyes again on the rear view mirror only to watch Moonbyul as she watched the lights pass as they drove through the busy road.  

“Yea it felt good, I’m just tired and know I won’t be able to sleep on the plane.” Moonbyul breathed out a reply, eye’s catching sight of the bar that Tom seemed to have picked for her.  

“Have fun and don’t get into trouble, I’ll be waiting here.”  

Moonbyul hit him with another “Roger that” as she popped her car door open and stepped out, taking note of the time on her phone as she headed to the entry of the bar. 

The stuffiness of the bar that hit her upon entry didn’t bother her as she headed straight to the bar. 

“Moonbyul-shi?” a squeak of a tone caught her ears just as she was about to order making her turn to the right to a girl a decent amount shorter than her almost squashed to her side at the cramped bar. 

Moonbyul smiled and bowed her head slightly at the cute girl “Hi..” she dragged out the word before she saw the girl let out a chuckle. 

“I’m sorry, I’m Wheein, it’s nice to meet you, I caught your performance on my phone earlier heading to work, you did awesome.” Wheein, the cute stranger spoke fast and loud, Moonbyul wondering if her talking voice was as high pitched usually. 

“Thanks” Moonbyul laughed, surprised at the encounter she was having. 

“Hey Jin, can I get two shot glasses and a bottle of soju?” Wheein yelled louder, on her tip toes as she leaned over the encounter. 

Moonbyul looked back to the stage to see the ending act of the performer, feeling herself get lost in the good energy of the bar, something different than the energy of when she performed earlier. 

She wondered if it was because this bar was smaller, cozier, more genuine, than the stadium that she played at only an hour ago did. 

“My friend Yongsun is coming on next, she’s amazing.” Wheein spoke up, pouring the shots of soju before lifting her own and looking at Moonbyul “Cheers!” 

Moonbyul laughed again as she lifted her own shot glass to clink it against Wheein’s, interacting with this girl at some random bar felt more genuine than what she had experienced on her little tour the past two weeks. 

As the liquor seeped down the lights had turned red as a song started to play, Moonbyul watched as a woman waltzed out from behind the curtains. 

She heard Wheein cheer loudly but aside from that everything seemed to drown out as the beautiful being on stage parted her lips to sing into the microphone she held. 

Moonbyul kept her eyes on the girl as she felt Wheein hand her another shot, Wheein chuckled as she watched Moonbyul tilt her head to take the shot, her eyes not moving from the stage. 

 

On starry nights, always  

so much I miss you 

 

Moonbyul felt as if the song was boring into her soul, the words filling her brain as her finger tapped against her thigh, eyes catching the way that the one white light on the girl seemed to make her eyes twinkle. 

She knew the song, it was from a girl group but this girl on stage seemed to have taken the whole song herself, and executed it impressively. Though a slower song compared to the energy of the bar, it seemed like the girl on stage captivated everyone inside, Moonbyul eyed people swaying, their hands in the air. 

The song ended, and the muting of the bar noise suddenly filled her ears again allowing her to catch Wheein giggling to her side. 

“I told you she’s amazing.” She spoke out, hand on her new companion's arm “let’s go backstage and I’ll introduce you to Yongsun unnie.”  

“Wait how old are you?” Moonbyul spoke into the girl's ear as she allowed herself to be dragged through a door that took her behind the sage. 

“I’m twenty four, how about you Moonbyul-shi?” The younger girl spoke behind her shoulder as they walked past numerous people. 

“I’m twenty seven, and no need for the formalities.” Moonbyul yelled back, hoarse now after all it’s been through the night. 

Wheein seemed to beam as she grabbed the door handle “Unnie it is then, Yongsun unnie is older than you so keep that in mind with your no need for formalities attitude.” She laughed again before opening the door and pulling her new unnie in. 

Moonbyul was glad for the alcohol she had consumed as she continued to be pulled by her excited new friend. She still felt a small amount of nerves take over as her eyes met Yongsun’s, the girl’s face breaking out into a smile she felt like she could get lost in. 

“Yong unnie, you won’t believe who came into the bar and saw you sing.” Wheein yelled, her arm now around Moonbyul’s shoulders as if the two were long time friends. 

“Hi, Yongsun-shi, you were amazing up there.” Moonbyul managed to let out, her eyes seemingly stuck on the girl she had just seen on stage. 

Yongsun immediately covered her smile with a hand as she bowed at the compliment “That means a lot coming from a girl who’s singing in stadiums, Moonbyul-shi” she replied, eyes moving past Moonbyul to catch Wheein’s grin and thumbs up before the shorter girl turned around and moved to talk to other people across the big room. 

She felt herself exhale slowly as she watched Moonbyul’s face break out into a grin, her head shaking as if to disagree whilst moving to sit next to the chair next to Yongsun’s. 

“Talent has nothing to do with being able to play in stadiums, you’re proof of that.” Moonbyul spoke up, head lifting up to look Yongsun in the eyes again, “And please call my Byulyi.” she added, her lips lifting into a smile to match Yongsun’s. 

Yongsun couldn’t help to let out a giggle, her ears warming up at another compliment  

“You’re very kind, Byuli, and you should call me Yongsun in return.”  

“Well then Yongsun, would you like to have a drink with me?” Moonbyul breathed out in return. 

 
 

**** 

 
 

Moonbyul didn’t really understand what she was doing, sure she was tipsy, but it was no explanation for texting Tom that she’s staying a little while longer, adding that she had changed the time of her flight to a couple hours later, because damn she could not give this time up. 

She may have also added that there was a girl, a very pretty, talented girl that had changed her plans to make sure her driver and trusted member of her team wasn’t worried. 

Of course she added an apology in her text, and maybe it was the alcohol which made her feel soft to add in how much she appreciated him. 

Moonbyul thought it would be enough of an explanation because he, along with everyone else knew that Moonbyu rarely spent time on girls, let alone let one change her plans. 

“Do you write songs?” Moonbyul asked, fingers chasing a droplet of condensation falling down her beer bottle. 

It turned out that Wheein’s owned the bar, and had let the two stay at the bar as long as they promised to lock up and bring the keys to her apartment which sat above the bar. 

Yongsun stirred the ice in her own drink before turning her head to look at the basically famous singer sitting next to her. 

“I do.” she mumbled her reply, suddenly shy as if the girl besides her was going to judge. 

It’s not that Moonbyul gave up those kinds of vibes, the girl actually seemed a lot more humble than she thought the girl would be. Or maybe the prettiness of her in real was messing with Yongsuns perception. 

“Amazing.” Moonbyul mumbled back, moving the bottle to her lips to take a drink “You should be the one in stadiums.” she added, her eyes meeting Yongsun’s once again. 

Yonsung felt her cheeks warm up, Moonbyul didn’t seem to be stopping with the compliments. 

“It used to be a wish, but I didn’t have the heart to try anymore after the third casting agent said I didn’t have the ‘look’.” Yongsun sighed, the depressing confession making her take a big sip of her drink. 

“That’s a lie” Moonbyul replied quickly in return, eyes following the girl’s tongue as it traced her lips “You’re beautiful.” 

“And you’re cheesy.” Yongsun smirked in return, hand swatting at Moonbyul’s shoulder. 

“Cheesy but honest, I feel like you’d know honesty like that.”  

“You seem really good with word’s Byul.” 

“Am I lying though?” Moonbyul asked, Yongsun catching the sudden drop in her voice, it suddenly lower, as if showing the seriousness of what she was saying. 

Yongsun felt loss for words with their eyes locked onto each other, the hand that swatted at Moonbyul’s shoulder now at the girl’s neck. 

“I don’t think you’re lying.” She replied almost just as low as the girl in front of her, feeling as if the both of them were spilling secrets. 

Moonbyul’s hand lifted to cover the one on her neck as she nodded, fingers rubbing softly against the one’s underneath hers “I’m happy to hear that.”  

 
*** 

 

“So is this the common move of Moonbyul the singer?” Yongsun asked, her blonde hair now in a ponytail with Moonbyul’s leather jacket over her shoulders. 

They had spent two hours at the bar just talking away before Moonbyul sighed at a text she had got, the younger girl explaining she had a flight to catch. 

They both cleaned up the spot they were sitting at before locking up, Yongsun bringing her upstairs to throw the bar keys through Wheein’s mailbox before they made their way back outside. 

“Not at all, I thought my night was reaching peak excitement at meeting Wheein.” Moonbyul chuckled after her response. 

“She is an interesting person, isn’t she? I love her a lot.” Yongsun replied, breathing in the cool air of the night. 

“It’s good having people like that in your life.” Moonbyul mumbled in return, Yongsun looking at her to see the younger girl looking around the empty street. 

Before Yongsun could say anything else she watched Moonbyul wave, following the girl’s gaze she saw a friendly looking older man sitting in a car wave back. 

Moonbyul sighed, her hand reaching for Yongsuns as they walked to the car, Tom lowering the window as the two showed up. 

“Tom this is Yongsun, Yongsun this is a member of my team.” Moonbyul explained, looking back at Yongsun as the girl bowed, Tom bowing his head in return with a smile. 

“Traffic cleared up, it’ll only take us forty minutes to get there, so we still have some time before we need to leave,do you need anything from the store you might want?” Tom asked, nodding towards the convenience store down the street. 

Moonbyul grinned at him before turning towards Yongsun “Can I keep you for twenty more minutes?”  

Yongsun smiled at the girl, ready to nod before she glanced at her phone to see it’s past midnight and she had an early shift tomorrow. 

“We’ll drive you home, I promise.” Moonbyul added watching the girl frown a little at her phone. 

Yongsun smiled “Fine, let’s go to the store.” she faked annoyance before waving at Tom and turning around to skip down the road. 

Moonbyul l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter