Effect 02

Adverse Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

02

 

 

Baekhyun tapped his fingers on the counter impatiently. Sure, he smiled at the cashier to let him be at ease but he could feel the wheels in his brain starting to jam by how much time they had taken just to get extra caviar on his salad.

  “They’re getting it ready.” The part-timer standing behind the cash register answered in a panic.

  “Take your time.” Baekhyun smiled further if he could, his cheeks forming balls, and with that his tapping grew louder.

  “Cute? Nah. He looks like a Chihuahua when I think about it now.”

Baekhyun’s ears twitched at how familiar the voice sounded among the two people that joined the line of the self-serve counters. He peeked and found that girl from yesterday shoving chunks of cherry tomatoes on her plate. Gasping softly, he quickly turned his face to the other side.

  “And what’s up with the pompous attitude?” She ranted; now shoving boiled corn into her good looking punk friend’s paper cup. “Do you think I should hire help to puncture his expensive car when we return?”

  “I thought you didn’t care about him anymore.” Her friend said in a teasing tone.

  “Of course I don’t! He’s worth nothing. Not even a worn-out coin that’s gone out of production.”

  “Ooh. Harsh.” The friend chuckled in response.

Baekhyun on the other hand felt like giving her an equally descriptive comeback at that but resisted. In the meantime, he realized the duo were now standing right by his side to pay for their meals. He quickly put his arm on the counter and rested his face behind it to hide. Thankfully, she hadn’t noticed him yet so Baekhyun whispered at the cashier to hurry up; in response to which he disappear into the kitchen at the back.

  “I’m totally gonna bust his tires out.” She said as she cracked her knuckles.

Baekhyun side-eyed their orders. Every chunky food that was on discount was hogged up by each of them. He felt particularly drawn to the double-sized burger she had on her tray with little colorful flags on toothpicks poked into the bun. He stared at it dreamily, the overall cuteness just added to whatever good taste it might have. His eyes traced off from the delish meal to her torso up to her face. She ran a hand through her short raven hair, her bangs getting brushed in all sides, and he wondered how come her spikey leather glove didn’t scratch her in the process.

Next, she popped one of the tomatoes in but paused. The tomato rested on the inside of her left cheek and made her look like a half-chipmunk. Baekhyun realized too late her abrupt halt was because they’d made direct contact once again.

She narrowed her eyes at him, finally biting into her fruit with a loud crunch. Her friend raised both his brows in surprise, trying to suppress his laughter. Baekhyun stood straight, clearing his throat and readjusting his wrist-watch. He could still sense her eyes on his figure and that made him feel nervous for no reason.

  “Why am I drenched in bad luck?” She asked rhetorically.

Baekhyun scoffed rather too loudly. Oh yeah? I’m your bad luck? He turned back to her, puffing his chest a little.

  “I heard what you’re planning to do with my car.” He said in a way to make her feel busted and hoped that she would finally go away. He had observed this intimidation tactic from Junmyeon.

Instead, she folded her arms and her narrow eyes turned into crescents as a smug smile grew on her face, “Excuse me? Do I know you?”

This time, Baekhyun’s jaw dropped open in surprise.

  “Sir!” the cashier boy emerged with Baekhyun’s order, orange caviar covering half his plate now.

Baekhyun took it forcefully, eyebrows knitted in an offended frown as he was at a loss for words. The boy thought he’s mad about his late order and pretended to be clicking buttons on the register which made Baekhyun feel even more offended than he already was. Damn commons. He thought and looked back at the stupid girl for the last time. She was grinning at him now so he rolled his eyes and hurried back to his seat in a flurry.

 

  “Why are you so angry?” Junmyeon asked when Baekhyun joined him, sitting down noisily.

  “What? Hah. Why would I feel angry?” He sounded exasperated contrary to his answer.

  “Okay…” Junmyeon chuckled. “The ladies sure do love it when you frown.”

All it took was a on Baekhyun’s ego with a little compliment and he forgot about her instantly. He nodded at Junmyeon in agreement, a playful smirk back on his face. “And you sure do know a lot about me.”

  “That’s what friends are for.” Junmyeon leaned forward, taking a spoonful off Baekhyun’s caviar that was overflowing out of the serving. “By the way, I’m holding another bonfire party tonight since we’re flying back tomorrow. Be ready by sundown.”

“Yeah, okay. Is there a dress code?” Baekhyun reached for the menu, his interest lost in his salad.

“Pink. You know how much I love that color.” Junmyeon said as he grazed a hand over the sleeve of his pastel pink sweater. He chuckled at the boy next to him once again when he noticed Baekhyun wasn’t focusing. “You’re looking at it too seriously.”

  “I’m just trying to find this…burger with mini flags…” Baekhyun answered, reading off each name carefully.

 

 

 

 

 

He was running late because the sun had set down long ago. Baekhyun stared at his suitcase with both his hands forming fists at his hips; mind lost in contemplating why he brought an item of every color except pink.

  “Obviously it’s not my favorite color.” He talked to himself, squatting down to pull his shirts out. Surely he could find something remotely similar.

Someone tried to unlock his doorknob and he froze in his spot. He was comfortably dressed up in his mint-colored pajamas and had his spectacles put on. This was simply not the best time to be seen by anybody in this condition. Baekhyun’s heartbeat paced in his chest as he hurriedly grabbed one of the shirts to put over his head as a cover and the door swung open.

And then the lights went out.

  “Seriously? Power shortage at this hour?” the person who barged in chimed as soon as they entered, closing the door back with a thud.

Baekhyun recognized this voice too damn well now. He threw the shirt back aside and sighed in annoyance.

  “Kyungsoo! Did you find the firecrackers yet?” she somewhat yelled into the darkness.

Baekhyun felt her walk forward with the resonating sound of her steps caused by her heavy heeled shoes. She might have hit the corner of his bed and winced in pain. Baekhyun snickered at that and quickly put a hand over his mouth to muffle himself but it was too late.

  “Is this funny?!” She snapped and tried to grab onto something to balance herself but tripped once again and fell on the floor. “Ouch…stop laughing!”

Baekhyun couldn’t help himself anymore. His little chuckles turned into a loud cackle. And then her hand slapped right over his arm which ceased the laughter that turned into a cry of pain as well. What’s up with this strength of a gorilla? He thought, rubbing the abused flesh.

  “I think I opened my wound again. It hurts like a .” She said and Baekhyun heard shuffling. She was pulling herself closer and he could hear her tiny hisses now. “Shouldn’t have removed the bandage…you’re right sometimes.”

  “So it’s come to this now? You’re following me all the way to my room?” he said, pushing her back by what he felt was her shoulder.

She sat in silence for a few moments upon hearing him finally speak and then Baekhyun heard a loud ‘AHAN!’

  “It’s you!” she chimed again and he could just feel her point a finger at him in the bleakness. “The liar!”

Baekhyun gasped, feeling offended once more. “Stalker much?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter